NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-10-2022, 02:58 PM
Ethan

Default Vintage / Modern

I got an interesting mass email from a major auction house yesterday discussing the recent poor performance of modern cards and the steady reliability and value retention of vintage cards. I thought it was strange for an auction house to all but write off a segment of the hobby, but they did raise some quality points. Do pre-war and vintage collectors think that those who have been spending big bucks on modern pieces will throw in the towel and turn to vintage? If this becomes a trend will we see even more competition for the stuff that we like? I know that some people enjoy vintage and modern, but we may soon see some trying to cut modern losses and begin to target vintage which could drive the good stuff up even higher. 🤔

Ethan
Old 11-10-2022, 03:06 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I would doubt it.

The modern market is always first to be affected by market changes as it is filled with newbie investors that are quick to bail. I would say most of the modern drop is due to post-pandemic expected declines as the get rich quick flipping crowd slowly fades. I don't care what anyone says, current prices on everything are likely to slow or drop to pre 20' prices throughout next year. The pricing on modern was a joke.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 11-10-2022, 03:08 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Not sure I've ever understood the modern collector, particularly if they're paying astronomical sums for something that doesn't seem all that valuable, like paying 6 figures for pieces from no-name prospects who haven't ever hit above .200 in the minors.

I would question whether modern collectors are really all that interested in vintage. Seems like it's a completely different market, and lacks the sort of action and pizzazz that they want out of their collecting experience.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 11-10-2022, 03:09 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnVT View Post
I got an interesting mass email from a major auction house yesterday discussing the recent poor performance of modern cards and the steady reliability and value retention of vintage cards. I thought it was strange for an auction house to all but write off a segment of the hobby, but they did raise some quality points. Do pre-war and vintage collectors think that those who have been spending big bucks on modern pieces will throw in the towel and turn to vintage? If this becomes a trend will we see even more competition for the stuff that we like? I know that some people enjoy vintage and modern, but we may soon see some trying to cut modern losses and begin to target vintage which could drive the good stuff up even higher. 🤔

Ethan
What would be the reasoning? Is it 1)people wanted to invest their money in "alternative assets," decided that modern cards are not safe enough, but think that vintage cards are; 2)people who love collecting sports cards need to collect something, and decide to shift their collecting focus from modern to vintage; or 3)people who love watching sports and getting cards of the players they watch suddenly decide to learn about Wagner and Mathewson? I'm not sure I find any of those narratives terribly believable, but perhaps #1 and #2 are more believable than #3.
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars
Old 11-10-2022, 03:19 PM

I would doubt it. You have to be (no pun intended) invested in pre-war to ever collect it. So much time needs to be invested in learning sets, variations, player histories, and all the nitty gritty in between. I don’t think modern collectors are interested in anything but name and dollar amount. They wouldn’t have the discipline to delve into why something like a T207 of Mike Donlin, someone hardly anyone has ever heard of, is an expensive card. And I doubt they’d be interested in buying one.
Old 11-10-2022, 03:26 PM
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I would doubt it. You have to be (no pun intended) invested in pre-war to ever collect it. So much time needs to be invested in learning sets, variations, player histories, and all the nitty gritty in between. I don’t think modern collectors are interested in anything but name and dollar amount. They wouldn’t have the discipline to delve into why something like a T207 of Mike Donlin, someone hardly anyone has ever heard of, is an expensive card. And I doubt they’d be interested in buying one.
Yeah, but some of these folks just look at auction results to gauge there investments. Now days this is an option w/o the need to be knowledgeable or invested.
Old 11-10-2022, 03:32 PM

True for mainstream I think. It doesn’t take a lot of knowledge to spot a good buy like a Cobb T206. But unless you’re one of us it will be very difficult to buy low and sell high which is the motivation for investments. There are many cards of guys like Ten Million that a casual observer will probably overlook if they saw it somewhere.

Then again I could be wrong too. Modern is all about the variations but they’re usually numbered and that makes it easier to know what’s rare.

Last edited by packs; 11-10-2022 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-10-2022, 03:41 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I think modern collectors who become disenchanted with their cards will just abandon card collecting.I doubt that many/any will transition to vintage.
Old 11-10-2022, 03:47 PM

Most were never "collecting", just buying and selling.
Old 11-10-2022, 03:52 PM
Al Stein

Quote:

Ethan
Ethan can you share the email with us?

I started out as a "modern" collector in 1965. When my son started collecting in 1995 he collected "modern" cards and I started collecting again with him. Throughout the late 90's and early 2000's I was collecting the shiny stuff, before I decided to go back and work on filling out some of my old sets from the 60's.

I think a lot of vintage collectors - maybe most of them - started out as "modern" collectors. And because of that I don't think it is a good sign at all that modern cards are down, because that means we are losing new collectors.
Old 11-10-2022, 04:02 PM

Its from Lelands. It is really an add for consignments. Interesting method and I am not sure what it says about the AH - are THEY abandoning seeking modern consignments and/or shifting their business? Anyway, here is the body of the email:

Volatility in Modern Cards Market

Modern cards have had an impressive run over the last few years. Today, there is increased concern about volatility and devaluation in this sector of the market. Risk assets - like growth stocks, meme stocks, NFTs, and cryptocurrencies - are experiencing similar fluctuations and loss of value in the current environment.

Since the start of this amazing run up in value of modern cards, we have hypothesized that investments in this category will be subject to the same investment risk as the other assets noted above, and we are seeing the beginning of that playing out right now.

We still believe that modern cards are an excellent long-term investment, but we think it may be awhile before "flipping" cards will be a good financial strategy again.

Memorabilia and Vintage Holding Firm

As you probably know, Lelands has been a major participant in modern card auctions, with many lots fetching world record prices. But throughout this run up in modern cards, we have not taken our eye off our favorite two categories - sports memorabilia and vintage cards.

These sectors of the market are holding their own in this environment. We believe that this decoupling of value from modern cards is due to the type of buyer in these markets. Sports memorabilia and vintage card buyers tend to be collectors who "love the stuff" rather than see their purchases as a "flipping" opportunity.

Our data from decades of auctions reveal that these two collector-focused areas of the hobby are also excellent long-term investments, characterized by steady returns with much less volatility. Our experts believe that the double bottom line of 1) the enjoyment that comes from collecting, and 2) the steady increases in memorabilia and vintage value, are a combination that should be highly attractive to the sports collector.

The Leaders in Memorabilia and Vintage

While auction houses may come and go, or expand and contract, Lelands has been a constant in the hobby. Our business is built upon the solid foundation of a passion for owning history in the sports we follow.

We collect because we respect the stuff, we buy and sell because we are fascinated by the historical impact of the pieces, and we have become the hobby's foremost experts because we are immersed in the joy of collecting, not the transactional nature of the sale.

We invite you to call upon us to evaluate your sports memorabilia and cards. Similarly, our next Classic Auction is coming very soon, with plenty of memorabilia, vintage, and modern cards for you to bid on!

Our relationships with our clients is the most rewarding part of our job, and if you choose to work with us, we trust you will see that we value personal relationships, will provide you with expert insights, and share our deep understanding of what is happening in the hobby marketplace.

Sincerely,

The Originals

Image removed - click Show Images to View
Generous Cash Advances and Competitive Rates Available!

Consignments & Purchases
Generous Cash Advances
Highly Competitive Rates

National Media Coverage
Powerful Online Marketing
Hobby-Best Ads & Catalog
Old 11-10-2022, 04:04 PM
Ethan

Default Modern

I’ll try to find the email…I think it was from Leland’s…someone else here must have it as well.

I collected modern in the late 80s and evolved to vintage and then to pre-war which took a pile of time to become knowledgeable of…I would expect that some of the modern folks will soon take the same path. I remember thinking that the only cards out there were listed in the Beckett price guide.
Old 11-10-2022, 04:04 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

701. Contemporary Insanity
The disbelief over seeing the stunning king’s ransoms being paid for some modern day cards.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2022, 04:32 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Are they Concerned ? I would say yes.
Old 11-10-2022, 04:40 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Are they Concerned? I would say yes. Big Money Investors may want safety to say 4%-%5 percent. They can now unlike in the past 15 years get this in US Treasuries or Bonds. The card market let's face it, it's inflated. I'm just saying other avenues look more attractive to me than investing in Cards, Modern or Vintage.

Last edited by Johnny630; 11-10-2022 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:56 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I do it for the pleasure and the long term investment of it.
It is just a more enjoyable part of my overall portfolio ring diversified.
Some people invest in stocks, mutual funds, 401k, perhaps real estate, cards whatever,
I have a percentage of my budget and portfolio dedicated to cards.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-10-2022, 10:09 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Its from Lelands. It is really an add for consignments. Interesting method and I am not sure what it says about the AH - are THEY abandoning seeking modern consignments and/or shifting their business? Anyway, here is the body of the email:

Modern cards have had an impressive run over the last few years. Today, there is increased concern about volatility and devaluation in this sector of the market. Risk assets - like growth stocks, meme stocks, NFTs, and cryptocurrencies - are experiencing similar fluctuations and loss of value in the current environment.

Since the start of this amazing run up in value of modern cards, we have hypothesized that investments in this category will be subject to the same investment risk as the other assets noted above, and we are seeing the beginning of that playing out right now.

We still believe that modern cards are an excellent long-term investment, but we think it may be awhile before "flipping" cards will be a good financial strategy again.

As you probably know, Lelands has been a major participant in modern card auctions, with many lots fetching world record prices. But throughout this run up in modern cards, we have not taken our eye off our favorite two categories - sports memorabilia and vintage cards.

These sectors of the market are holding their own in this environment. We believe that this decoupling of value from modern cards is due to the type of buyer in these markets. Sports memorabilia and vintage card buyers tend to be collectors who "love the stuff" rather than see their purchases as a "flipping" opportunity.

Our data from decades of auctions reveal that these two collector-focused areas of the hobby are also excellent long-term investments, characterized by steady returns with much less volatility. Our experts believe that the double bottom line of 1) the enjoyment that comes from collecting, and 2) the steady increases in memorabilia and vintage value, are a combination that should be highly attractive to the sports collector.

While auction houses may come and go, or expand and contract, Lelands has been a constant in the hobby. Our business is built upon the solid foundation of a passion for owning history in the sports we follow.

We collect because we respect the stuff, we buy and sell because we are fascinated by the historical impact of the pieces, and we have become the hobby's foremost experts because we are immersed in the joy of collecting, not the transactional nature of the sale.

We invite you to call upon us to evaluate your sports memorabilia and cards. Similarly, our next Classic Auction is coming very soon, with plenty of memorabilia, vintage, and modern cards for you to bid on!

Our relationships with our clients is the most rewarding part of our job, and if you choose to work with us, we trust you will see that we value personal relationships, will provide you with expert insights, and share our deep understanding of what is happening in the hobby marketplace.

Sincerely,

The Originals

Consignments & Purchases

Generous Cash Advances

Highly Competitive Rates

National Media Coverage

Hobby-Best Ads & Catalog
Thanks

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2022, 11:52 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Collectors are definitely migrating over to vintage from modern. Almost all of us started in modern at one point in time or another. For me, it started as a kid when I would ride my bike to the local card shop to buy 80s junk wax packs. I would always gawk at the Mantle, Mays, and Hank Aaron cards behind the glass, vowing to one day own some of them. I saved up my money from mowing lawns and picked up a 1960 Topps All-Star Hank Aaron and a 1962 Topps Mickey Mantle as my foray into vintage.

Nowadays, kids like the shiny stuff just like many of us liked opening packs as kids too. But they're all tuning in to social media and listening to influencers these days, and all of those channels are singing the praises of the vintage market. As they watch their NFT digital "cards" and fake jersey patch sticker autos of Gavin Lux (numbered to /99 !!!) plummet in value, they hear about the Wagner, Mantles, Ruths, Cobbs, and Jackies all setting new records on a monthly basis. It piques their interest. I've seen quite a few modern collectors migrating over into vintage, dipping their toes. They're coming. Certainly not all of them, but even if it's just 1 or 2% of them, that's enough to continue to cause upward pressure on pricing.

I don't see high-end vintage prices dropping any time soon.
Old 11-11-2022, 08:57 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

I think almost every collector starts as a modern collector, looking for cards of their favorite players. Kids collecting modern today are no different than I was collecting "modern" cards in the mid 90s, or others on the board collecting modern cards in the 1970s, 1950... Almost nobody here started out collecting t206s, it was a migration as we discovered the depths of the hobby, and figured out what really appealed to each of us.

The natural progression for nearly everyone in the hobby is to start modern and shift to vintage; it has been happening for generations, and will continue for generations more.
Old 11-11-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
I think almost every collector starts as a modern collector, looking for cards of their favorite players. Kids collecting modern today are no different than I was collecting "modern" cards in the mid 90s, or others on the board collecting modern cards in the 1970s, 1950... Almost nobody here started out collecting t206s, it was a migration as we discovered the depths of the hobby, and figured out what really appealed to each of us.

The natural progression for nearly everyone in the hobby is to start modern and shift to vintage; it has been happening for generations, and will continue for generations more.

I actually don't think today's modern collecting was something anyone experienced before this generation. You might have collected contemporary cards, but you weren't chasing Bowman first autos, refractors, superfractors, products with costs in the 4 figures, or lottery tickets.

It's a totally different experience now.
Old 11-11-2022, 10:11 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
I actually don't think today's modern collecting was something anyone experienced before this generation. You might have collected contemporary cards, but you weren't chasing Bowman first autos, refractors, superfractors, products with costs in the 4 figures, or lottery tickets.

It's a totally different experience now.
I feel like we had a little taste of that in the early 90s, but perhaps not quite as extreme.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:17 AM

I don't know about that. Today, you've got to pay $300 for a box of 2022 Topps Chrome. I remember buying any box I wanted of any product I wanted for about $80 to $100. And that was right up until the 2010s really.
Old 11-11-2022, 10:18 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
I don't know about that. Today, you've got to pay $300 for a box of 2022 Topps Chrome. I remember buying any box I wanted of any product I wanted for about $80 to $100. And that was right up until the 2010s really.
Fair enough.

Obviously the 90s weren't as extreme as today.

But it does seem like we were starting to move in this direction. Prices for packs were up, rare chase cards were up, values on those rare chase cards were high, and there was a lot of mania around the whole circus.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:21 AM

Yes, but maybe people aren't aware of just how extreme the hobby is now. You can buy a box like Flawless for 10 grand and have the opportunity to pull a Lebron Logoman card that will sell for 2 million dollars.
Old 11-11-2022, 10:24 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Yes, but maybe people aren't aware of just how extreme the hobby is now. You can buy a box like Flawless for 10 grand and have the opportunity to pull a Lebron Logoman card that will sell for 2 million dollars.
I blame inflation. Even in its transitory state!

Old 11-11-2022, 10:32 AM

Another thing I think about in terms of modern collecting today is the thrill of opening the packs. Like I said, there is a lottery or dream home opportunity attached to almost every product that gets released now.

You just aren't going to find that kind of excitement in pre-war. Potentially if you're one of the lucky ones who stumbles upon something at a flea market. But for most of us the thrill is buying cards we love for as low a price as we can find, but often accepting that we'll really pay whatever we have to. There isn't the same kind of magic in pre-war vis a vis the unknown.

When I was growing up and opening up packs I wasn't opening them in search of a lottery ticket. I just liked baseball and I liked the Yankees and I wanted Yankees cards. That led me down the path of vintage. I wanted cards of Yankees players my dad talked about. I wanted cards of Babe Ruth. I wanted cards of Lou Gehrig. But I never wanted them because they were valuable. And I think that is a major shift in today's modern collectors. There are probably still collectors who just like collecting sets. But I think there are far more modern collectors in the hobby that just want to chase.

Last edited by packs; 11-11-2022 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:12 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Much of today’s Modern Market is not much collecting, it’s more gambling looking to pull that quick hit. Hurry grade and flip. That’s what it is. Mention Set Building of Modern Cards to anyone under 30...they will look at you like you have two heads. Most of the focus in modern is scoring.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:21 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Much of today’s Modern Market is not much collecting, it’s more gambling looking to pull that quick hit. Hurry grade and flip. That’s what it is. Mention Set Building of Modern Cards to anyone under 30...they will look at you like you have two heads. Most of the focus in modern is scoring.
There is still a healthy and large group of collectors out there. Money is just more vocal; reading the board here you would think 90% of vintage are also primarily investors.

There's less difference than people think. Modern and vintage revolve around money for the vocal part, and then there's a bunch of people quietly just doing their thing and having some fun. Grade and flip describes vintage as much as it does modern.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:32 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
There is still a healthy and large group of collectors out there. Money is just more vocal; reading the board here you would think 90% of vintage are also primarily investors.

There's less difference than people think. Modern and vintage revolve around money for the vocal part, and then there's a bunch of people quietly just doing their thing and having some fun. Grade and flip describes vintage as much as it does modern.
C'mon man...let us have our smug, elitist moral superiority. What else do we have left??!!

Old 11-11-2022, 11:43 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
C'mon man...let us have our smug, elitist moral superiority. What else do we have left??!!
Well, we also have... uhm.... What's your favorite T206 color?
Old 11-12-2022, 08:21 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post

Sincerely,

The Originals

Consignments & Purchases
Generous Cash Advances
Highly Competitive Rates

National Media Coverage
Hobby-Best Ads & Catalog
Cutting thru the manure, it says this:

Modern is a bunch of jagoffs who are just in it to flip it and while we've done just great playing along, we were just fooling. Really, we love memorabilia and vintage cards, really, we do. So, now that it is shitting the bed bigtime, we will be dropping modern like a used sorority girl and going back to vintage cards and memorabilia, where we are still relevant. Really, we are, we're not kidding. We are really good at this stuff. We know all sorts of investy words like risk and strategy and volatile and returns and sectors and we can use them in sentences. Just like extant and verso, which we promise to use in every listing for your cards and memorabilia. Please be our friends again....

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-12-2022, 02:04 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Adam, that was one of the finest posts extant. Excellent summation.

Lelands has really taken a dive in the last couple of years. I suppose it's good that they are re-focusing on vintage cards and memorabilia. Hopefully they can get back to the status they enjoyed when Josh (RIP) was still around.

Last edited by perezfan; 11-12-2022 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-12-2022, 04:58 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Another thing I think about in terms of modern collecting today is the thrill of opening the packs. Like I said, there is a lottery or dream home opportunity attached to almost every product that gets released now.

You just aren't going to find that kind of excitement in pre-war. Potentially if you're one of the lucky ones who stumbles upon something at a flea market. But for most of us the thrill is buying cards we love for as low a price as we can find, but often accepting that we'll really pay whatever we have to. There isn't the same kind of magic in pre-war vis a vis the unknown.

When I was growing up and opening up packs I wasn't opening them in search of a lottery ticket. I just liked baseball and I liked the Yankees and I wanted Yankees cards. That led me down the path of vintage. I wanted cards of Yankees players my dad talked about. I wanted cards of Babe Ruth. I wanted cards of Lou Gehrig. But I never wanted them because they were valuable. And I think that is a major shift in today's modern collectors. There are probably still collectors who just like collecting sets. But I think there are far more modern collectors in the hobby that just want to chase.
Could not agree more with this. This should be required reading by anyone involved with cards...really separates the wheat from the chaff. There are still collectors out there, some of whom post here on net54. And then there are the investors. They post too, but to them it's all about the grade, and that's it. They don't give a hoot for the stories of old baseball, just the grade and how much it is then worth and how the card speculation is going.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 11-12-2022, 05:11 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Could not agree more with this. This should be required reading by anyone involved with cards...really separates the wheat from the chaff. There are still collectors out there, some of whom post here on net54. And then there are the investors. They post too, but to them it's all about the grade, and that's it. They don't give a hoot for the stories of old baseball, just the grade and how much it is then worth and how the card speculation is going.
Can’t remember who said it, but I vaguely recall another thread in which someone asked where all the collectors were in ultra modern, with the response being:

“That’s like walking into a whorehouse and asking, ‘aren’t there any nice girls in here?’!”

Old 11-12-2022, 11:11 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:

This is my story too. There was nothing shiny in 1991 Topps - which was my first pack of cards at 5 yo. At 10 yo, I got into 1996 Topps cuz I wanted a Mantle insert. I never pulled one, and that was my first bitter experience with buying packs. I never overcame that disappointment. I still hate buying packs today.

But I will say, from being on Twitter, I find a lot of modern collectors in their 30s who aren't gambling. They probably have similar backstories like me. And they all say the same thing, "I should get into vintage." I'm not sure it's a tidal wave, but some will jump over.

For me, I have always loved history. Ken Burns documentary came out when I was 9 yo. I loved the b&w photos and stories. And my grandma told me how I was distantly related to Tris Speaker thru my grandpa. To be a vintage collector, I think you gotta have a care for history. Otherwise, these modern investors will just be vintage investors collecting "blue chip" cards.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 11-13-2022, 07:27 AM
Don

I’m almost 30 and grew up collecting cards from 1998-2007ish.

When I left for the army in 2011 all my cards were sold.

I was brought back in during 2019/2020 and an incredible amount had changed in the modern landscape. I bought up a lot of Soto and other stars. I have also been buying an incredible amount of vintage and have found myself dipping into the pre-war cards. I think I have found my niche here and laugh at what I was doing in 2019/2020.

I find myself more of a collector of vintage/pre-war and an opportunist with modern to help fuel my collecting. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 11-13-2022, 10:08 AM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Most were never "collecting", just buying and selling.
+1

Ben

"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."
Old 11-13-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Why talk the talk, when you can scan the scan.

Brian (orange you red with envy? And it's best you don't get me started with green T206 cards)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206redorange088 (800x718).jpg (87.9 KB, 262 views)
Old 11-13-2022, 10:21 AM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post

Brian (orange you red with envy? And it's best you don't get me started with green T206 cards)
Brian, love it; got me scramblin' for my E98 Blues; no worries folks; too much work, lol.

Ben

Old 11-13-2022, 11:04 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:

I am envious, for unlike myself, it appears that your T206’s are complete and not missing any pieces!
Old 11-14-2022, 08:10 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:

Why ATC, why did you do this????

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-14-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I am envious, for unlike myself, it appears that your T206’s are complete and not missing any pieces!
I do have my share of amputee T206 cards.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206withchunksmissing 001.jpg (195.6 KB, 167 views)
Old 11-14-2022, 09:47 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Why ATC, why did you do this????
You would think, if any of them were going to be red, it would be "the Crab" Evers!

This is why I'm not a comedian.
Old 11-14-2022, 06:38 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I do have my share of amputee T206 cards.

Brian
Now these look like my T206's, maimed, dismembered, and still fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2345.jpg (147.3 KB, 126 views)
Old 11-14-2022, 06:55 PM
Ethan

Default Focus

Not sure how this became a “show your beat up T206” thread, but so be it.
Old 11-15-2022, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Not sure how this became a “show your beat up T206” thread, but so be it.
I think the beat up T206 cards are relevant to this topic. As a counterpoint they illustrate the type of vintage cards that will definitely not be on the acquisition agenda of those modern day collectors(cough)investors that do end up drifting to vintage.

Brian (these die cut E121 American Caramels pasted on thick cardboard are not for sale, so back off you modern day drifters)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e121diecuts.jpg (187.9 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 11-15-2022 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:51 AM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
I think the beat up T206 cards are relevant to this topic. As a counterpoint they illustrate the type of vintage cards that will definitely not be on the acquisition agenda of those modern day collectors(cough)investors that do end up drifting to vintage.

Brian (these die cut E121 American Caramels pasted on thick cardboard are not for sale, so back off you modern day drifters)
Brian,
I wanted to do that with my Southworth but I couldn't cut through the dern plastic. Dang-it anyhow! Guess I'll just have to lure in the vintage immigrants as is. (lol, for those who don't git it)

Ben