NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-09-2022, 01:43 PM

Default Custom Work on 100+ Yr Old Photo Developed from an Old Judge Glass Plate Negative

Could you imagine discovering the Old Judge original glass plate negatives from the Vermont Find in the mid 90s? I'll write more on that in a future article, but for now, I thought I'd share a pickup (and custom project) having to do with this find.

In this find were photographs developed directly from the glass plate negatives from over 100 years ago. I was able to obtain a photograph of Abner Boyce.

Abner Boyce was featured four times in the Old Judge set, and is on the Old Judge "scarce" list. His cards never surface, and it is a pity - look at that background, and moustache! I was fortunate to have picked up Boyce's card below, which is the exact specimen used in what is known to many as the bible of Old Judge cards - "The Photographic Baseball Cards of Goodwin & Company". One of the authors, Jay Miller, was kind enough to sell it to me. (Thanks Jay!)

At first glance, it looks like Boyce is in a meadow fielding a fly ball with his bare hands. If you look closely, you can see flowers, a wood fence, path, and a river in the background. It is truly a beautiful card! While Old Judge aficionados know that Boyce isn't truly outside, but rather in a studio with a backdrop, the photograph that was developed directly from the original glass plate negative over a century ago shows the truth.

If you look at the bottom of the photograph, you can see a rug or blanket covering a studio ground. The photograph in and of itself not only tells a more complete story, but is also much larger and clearer than the Old Judge card.

I *love* cabinet cards, and Old Judge N173s. I think that is why this photograph appealed to me so much initially outside of its amazing story of origin - it looks like a cabinet card without the cardboard backing. If you haven't seen one, check them out - they are really cool. 19th century photographs would typically be glued onto cardboard backing with rounded corners that extend a bit beyond the borders of the photograph, most prominently at the bottom, so the studio name could be shown.

While I love the photograph as-is, I wanted to create something even cooler. Maybe even something that could double as a holder. I got to work on something that allowed me to test my debossing and gold foiling skills. Let me tell you - it took TONS of trial and error.

Instead of a photography studio name, I wanted to put "The Vermont Find" to commemorate what monumental find this photograph was from. All is done in gold foil on black cardstock.

The gold foil applied to the back was fun to watch come to life ...

Peeling the top layer off ...

Voila! I created the artwork on the back of this to show a baseball suspended on a string with a baseball player posing as if he were about to hit the ball, with a camera on the right, taking a picture of the action. Old Judge cards are famous for this, so I figured why not have some fun with it?

I affixed the top portion to an inner frame, and fully debossed the inside with the same artwork I used for the back. It looks like leather, but it is cardstock!

There is a gap at the top so I can slide in the photograph. Now there is only one thing left to do ... slide it in!

Woohoo! I LOVE how well it displays now. After I was done, my wife suggested I do a frame for the Old Judge card to match it. I couldn't just leave it as-is, so I did one for the card as well.

They look great in the light box, but even better on my shelf, which is exactly what I was hoping for. This photograph makes me feel like I have a window to look into the 19th century - I love it!

I have created a video below showing me create this, and talking through the project - please give it a look! It also should play through various other custom projects of mine if you are interested.

This isn't the end of this story, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to tell and show the rest of it, so for now, I'll just say "to be continued..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O_I...OpisEz&index=1
Old 02-09-2022, 01:54 PM
Dave

Holy Cows! Amazing job.

Old 02-09-2022, 01:55 PM
Fred

I am a fan of your incredible hobby creations. Can't wait for the next one.

Too cool!
Old 02-09-2022, 01:56 PM
Sonny Tutor

Wow. Amazing work! That looks incredible.
Old 02-09-2022, 02:05 PM
David M.

I'm glad you made a video, because I can't image how you created something like that. Really nice!
Old 02-09-2022, 02:10 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Amazing work, Tanner!!!
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 02-09-2022, 02:31 PM
Scott Russell

makes me wish I had though of paying someone to develop the glass plate negatives I had of Jack Johnson and Abe Attel!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-09-2022, 02:56 PM
David M.

What kind of machine put that embossed gold print on the paper? That was fun to watch.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:07 PM
GaryPassamonte

Great!
Old 02-09-2022, 03:08 PM
C.hris Bl.and

That is great - you do some really cool stuff with your collection

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 02-09-2022, 03:10 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
+1 agree amazing

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 02-09-2022, 07:10 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
+2
Old 02-09-2022, 07:47 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Fantastic job Tanner! You are bringing the set to life.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:23 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
makes me wish I had though of paying someone to develop the glass plate negatives I had of Jack Johnson and Abe Attel!
For future reference it is quite easy. In the past you would either make a contact print; laying the negative on the paper then exposing and printing, or putting it in a holder, placing in an enlarger and making a larger print. With modern technology it is not that difficult anymore. A glass plate negative can be scanned on a pro model flat bed scanner like the Epson V850 or Expression 12000XL. It can be done at various resolutions (dpi's). Once you have the file (jpg) it can be printed on digital, preferably archival, paper. It can also be printed on traditional silver halide paper. One of my photo labs, Digital Silver Imaging in Belmont, MA can take a digital file and print it on regular photographic paper. They are not cheap, but the results are incredible. Interestingly, you can see the exposure of the clip that held the glass plate negative against the paper in Tanner's photo. It is the white mark in the lower left that looks like a collar stay.

Here are a few scans using my 12 year old Microtek pro scanner:

Magic Lantern slide of one of the heats for the 100m dash at the 1896 Olympics.

1896-100m00007.jpg

Glass plate negative circa 1932. The man on the right, George Calnan, took the athletes oath at the opening ceremony of the 1932 Olympics. Winner of 3 bronze medals in fencing (1 in 1928, 2 in 1932). A lieutenant in the U.S. Navy, he died in the crash of the dirigible U.S.S. Akron off the coast of New Jersey in April 1933.

levis-calnan-100013.jpg

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 02-09-2022 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 06:02 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
For future reference it is quite easy. In the past you would either make a contact print; laying the negative on the paper then exposing and printing, or putting it in a holder, placing in an enlarger and making a larger print. With modern technology it is not that difficult anymore. A glass plate negative can be scanned on a pro model flat bed scanner like the Epson V850 or Expression 12000XL. It can be done at various resolutions (dpi's). Once you have the file (jpg) it can be printed on digital, preferably archival, paper. It can also be printed on traditional silver halide paper. One of my photo labs, Digital Silver Imaging in Belmont, MA can take a digital file and print it on regular photographic paper. They are not cheap, but the results are incredible. Interestingly, you can see the exposure of the clip that held the glass plate negative against the paper in Tanner's photo. It is the white mark in the lower left that looks like a collar stay.

Here are a few scans using my 12 year old Microtek pro scanner:

Magic Lantern slide of one of the heats for the 100m dash at the 1896 Olympics.

Attachment 501936

Glass plate negative circa 1932. The man on the right, George Calnan, took the athletes oath at the opening ceremony of the 1932 Olympics. Winner of 3 bronze medals in fencing (1 in 1928, 2 in 1932). A lieutenant in the U.S. Navy, he died in the crash of the dirigible U.S.S. Akron off the coast of New Jersey in April 1933.

Attachment 501938
All you're doing is making me feel worse for not doing it! The Johnson was a huge 8 x 10 glass negative too, would've yielded great results I bet. The two Attels were more like 4 x 6ish
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 02-10-2022 at 06:03 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:50 AM

Thank you for all the kind words, people! It is definitely a far cry from the new Canseco stuff I've done, and a new skillset is needed to make this work with 19th century stuff, but I'm just wholly in love with this time period.

I didn't post about this one here, but this may be fun for some folks to take a look at - it involves a 1914 Cracker Jack Christy Mathewson ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0g_pnfonPM

Quote:
All you're doing is making me feel worse for not doing it! The Johnson was a huge 8 x 10 glass negative too, would've yielded great results I bet. The two Attels were more like 4 x 6ish
Do you have any scans or pics of these at all? If so, PM me and I'll see if there is anything I can do
Old 02-10-2022, 08:59 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post

Do you have any scans or pics of these at all? If so, PM me and I'll see if there is anything I can do
fairly decent image, let me know if emailing it would be better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jack johnson.jpg (70.4 KB, 304 views)

Old 02-10-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
fairly decent image, let me know if emailing it would be better
If you have a bigger picture, you can send to tanmanbaseballfan@gmail.com - what a super cool image hiding in this negative!

Old 02-10-2022, 06:11 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Tanner, that is the coolest thing I've seen all day week month year!

Not only the design of the holder, but the execution of the end product. Bravo!
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 02-10-2022, 07:45 PM
Jason Wells

Very cool display Tanner!
Old 02-10-2022, 08:19 PM
qualitycards

Tanner very impressive!
Old 02-10-2022, 11:27 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Very cool project, decided to try and scan a few glass slides I have, turned out pretty good.

Last edited by atx840; 02-10-2022 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2022, 12:29 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

[QUOTE=atx840;2195765]Very cool project, decided to try and scan a few glass slides I have, turned out pretty good.

It will sort of work with a regular flat bed scanner. A pro style photo scanner is different in that there is a regular glass surface and the cover also has a glass surface and its own scanner arm that runs back and forth.

Here are yours with a little work.

chappel 1.JPG
chappel 2.JPG
Bowerman.JPG
speaker.JPG

The Bowerman was not a good enough scan to work with though you can see that his name was written in the original negative above his head. Once you start cropping and enhancing the color you can see the dust spots and negative scratches. I cleaned some of them up.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 02-11-2022 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:58 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Tanner:

That is absolutely exceptional work!

Kevin
Old 02-11-2022, 07:08 AM
Scott Russell

That's awesome, thanks for sharing that. So cool to see the picture come to life!

Old 02-11-2022, 10:08 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Fantastic work Michael, thank you!!
Old 02-11-2022, 08:57 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
Fantastic work Michael, thank you!!
You are welcome. Having them in person and using a pro scanner would produce great results. You would be able to make prints from them. The halos in your scans are probably a result of them being two pieces of glass. A regular flat bed scanner cannot compensate for that. If you want to play around with them there are two tricks you can try.

1. Lay them on the flat bed, cover with a piece of white paper and use a flashlight and follow the scanner arm.

2. Lay them on the flat bed, shine a flashlight directly on the slide while you scan. Just remember not to stare during the scan. You could get cornea burn.

Old 02-11-2022, 09:27 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
Very cool project, decided to try and scan a few glass slides I have, turned out pretty good.

I'm a Speaker collector. Super cool you have a glass plate negative!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 02-11-2022, 09:28 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
If you have a bigger picture, you can send to tanmanbaseballfan@gmail.com - what a super cool image hiding in this negative!

I am so impressed with your creation. Tip of the hat, sir!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 02-12-2022, 12:09 PM
Charles
Cha.rles

Very nice!

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore
Old 02-12-2022, 02:15 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Well done Tanner !!

I've written about the glass plate negatives at length in past, enjoyed studying the Vermont find through Terry Knouse Sr. and the Saco River offering. When I lay my eyes upon a Goodwin negative I'm drawn to the history as it relates to Goodwin and Co. as opposed to the Vermont find itself but thankful ~88 authentic negatives were preserved via the find. You now need to obtain the negative that is a match to your Vermont find photo & your N172.

Did you notice that the ball was moved on the N172 vs the original negative? Jay and I have spotted quite a few poses in which the ball was moved on the N172 (likely on the 24 card negative).

Here is a copy of the Boyce negative that is a match to your photo; lot #93 at the Jan 2015 Saco River Offering.

Many of the negatives exhibit remarkable clarity that simply cannot be enjoyed on a small N172 or even on the N173s. Wish some of my favorite players were amongst the find, would love to see a Charlie Bennett (Tomlinson Studio), Lady Baldwin or Deacon White (Fearnaught Studio), or Sam Thompson (Gray Studio) negative.

The custom mounts with gold foil look fabulous, well done!
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 02-12-2022 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:14 AM

Great job Tanner!
Old 02-13-2022, 10:12 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Scott and Tanner, if you do a creation for the plate please post the outcome.

We would love to see it!