NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-14-2019, 12:02 PM
John Donovan

Default Thoughts on baseball card budget

I had some random musings about baseball card budgets and thought I'd share them here (because if I can't share random baseball card musings on Net54, where CAN I share them?)

I find myself from time to time getting frustrated that my budget never seems to allow me to get all the cards I want...not even close.

But as I thought it over, it's the budget that actually MAKES this hobby fun.

I know that everyone on this board has different amounts of money available for the hobby...but I'm guessing that almost no one has UNLIMITED funds to spend on cards.

Staying within budget allows me to search for cards online and at shows and my LCS to find that perfect fit of cards I'm looking for in the right price range. It let's me decide if I want to acquire lots of low grade commons, or save up for a special piece. It allows me the opportunity to browse listings and look for deals, and watch the seconds of an online auction tick down as I sit on pins and needles wondering if I'm going to "win" that card.

On the flip-side...if I had INFINITY amounts of money, then none of that stuff would matter. I could basically go on ebay and click "buy it now" on every card I ever remotely wanted, put outlandish top bids on every auction, and basically fill basement with old card board. And then what?

So it's actually the budget that gives me the satisfaction of searching, saving, winning, etc. And in that way, people with all budgets (whether you can only spend $5.00 on cards per month or $5000) can enjoy card collecting the same way. Yeah, the guy with a $5000 budget can go after different cards than the guy with $5.00, but the experience and enjoyment can be similar.

(And it makes it even better when both the $5.00 a month guy and the $5000 a month guy posts their cards on here so we can all enjoy them).

And because every post is better with a card picture, here is a picture of my Germany Schaffer card. My first t206, that I really enjoyed handling when I received it. t206's are on much thinner stock than I realized, and holding a 100+ year old baseball card is really cool...and I didn't need a very big budget to acquire it.

germany.JPG
Old 08-14-2019, 01:12 PM
Sean Sullivan

Default Awesome

I have an "ok" budget; which I think means more than some, but certainly less than others.

I have always been amazed at what you can acquire IF you are willing to do some research.
Now I am mostly into game used stuff, but even on a limited budget, I have found some REALLY cool gems.

That is what really makes me happy, doing the research and discovering new things!
Old 08-14-2019, 01:43 PM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Yeah, I think assembling a collection under a budget - like in consistent condition but not the highest grade - is just as impressive as building one in the highest grade.

Same for finding all of a player’s cards as opposed to his RC in the highest grade (which can usually be bought at any given time with enough money).
Old 08-14-2019, 02:17 PM
Scott Russell

I agree the constraints are actually what adds the joy. Saving, chasing, finding, and acquiring. That process is what is fun, to me. I also like trying to put sets together for free. I buy bulk lots keep what I need and sell off the rest. I do this until I'm down to a few cards and then bite the bullet and shell out. My best effort so far was a 1971 Topps set in EX- EX/MT that cost me a net of $11. It's a fun game if you have the patience.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-14-2019, 05:02 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

My budget is pathetic and I'll sell some stuff to fund a slightly larger purchase if it's something I really want, but I'm mostly just acquiring cards I like. If I can find one in a particular set that I'm actually working on then that's just awesome, but I'll pick up whatever I can with my meager funds. I figure I can sell or trade it later for something I really want badly. But I enjoy all my cards and the hunt for them. Cool thread man.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 08-14-2019, 06:28 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I think if you could buy anything you'd wanted, you'd get pretty bored (and bored with the stuff) pretty quickly.

In the past I've bought an expensive, rare item only to find out when I have it that I like some of my cheapo items better.

Last edited by drcy; 08-14-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:57 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I think if you could buy anything you'd wanted, you'd get pretty bored (and bored with the stuff) pretty quickly.

In the past I've bought an expensive, rare item only to find out when I have it that I like some of my cheapo items better.
I have had the same thing happen. For several years I was a card renter. I have owned a lot of the top cards in the hobby in lower grade for short periods of time. There were cool to own but not stuff I really wanted to keep.

As far as card budget. For the last 20-25 years I have only bought new stuff from the $ I got from selling old stuff. So I have not spent a penny out of pocket in a very long time.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:58 PM
Sean McGinty

Working within a budget does allow you to showcase a certain amount of ingenuity that someone with unlimited funds can’t. I am more impressed with a collection assembled on the cheap by someone who put some imagination into it than I am by one assembled by someone just dumping a big pile of money on expensive stuff.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:27 AM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I agree the constraints are actually what adds the joy. Saving, chasing, finding, and acquiring. That process is what is fun, to me. I also like trying to put sets together for free. I buy bulk lots keep what I need and sell off the rest. I do this until I'm down to a few cards and then bite the bullet and shell out. My best effort so far was a 1971 Topps set in EX- EX/MT that cost me a net of $11. It's a fun game if you have the patience.
That's awesome that you were able to complete your 1971 set for a net of $11. I have been considering taking this approach with my next set. My biggest fear is that I know myself too well...I think I'll be good with buying the lots, it's the selling off of duplicates that I would drag my feet on. I already have a closet full of stuff (including some old cards) that "I'll eventually get around to selling on ebay". Some of that stuff has been there for years
Old 08-15-2019, 07:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
Working within a budget does allow you to showcase a certain amount of ingenuity that someone with unlimited funds can’t. I am more impressed with a collection assembled on the cheap by someone who put some imagination into it than I am by one assembled by someone just dumping a big pile of money on expensive stuff.
As someone who knows someone, who knows someone, with big piles of money, I can safely say that most of them enjoy their big piles of money and get excited just as much as us with little piles of money, if not more. They are no different. I guess I am a value collector, or try to be, myself. Because after my daughters Masters degree, first semester cost, my budget is quite a bit smaller. I have no choice but to be a value-collector.

Last edited by Leon; 08-15-2019 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:55 AM
“the bambino”

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
I had some random musings about baseball card budgets and thought I'd share them here (because if I can't share random baseball card musings on Net54, where CAN I share them?)

I find myself from time to time getting frustrated that my budget never seems to allow me to get all the cards I want...not even close.

But as I thought it over, it's the budget that actually MAKES this hobby fun.

I know that everyone on this board has different amounts of money available for the hobby...but I'm guessing that almost no one has UNLIMITED funds to spend on cards.

Staying within budget allows me to search for cards online and at shows and my LCS to find that perfect fit of cards I'm looking for in the right price range. It let's me decide if I want to acquire lots of low grade commons, or save up for a special piece. It allows me the opportunity to browse listings and look for deals, and watch the seconds of an online auction tick down as I sit on pins and needles wondering if I'm going to "win" that card.

On the flip-side...if I had INFINITY amounts of money, then none of that stuff would matter. I could basically go on ebay and click "buy it now" on every card I ever remotely wanted, put outlandish top bids on every auction, and basically fill basement with old card board. And then what?

So it's actually the budget that gives me the satisfaction of searching, saving, winning, etc. And in that way, people with all budgets (whether you can only spend $5.00 on cards per month or $5000) can enjoy card collecting the same way. Yeah, the guy with a $5000 budget can go after different cards than the guy with $5.00, but the experience and enjoyment can be similar.

(And it makes it even better when both the $5.00 a month guy and the $5000 a month guy posts their cards on here so we can all enjoy them).

And because every post is better with a card picture, here is a picture of my Germany Schaffer card. My first t206, that I really enjoyed handling when I received it. t206's are on much thinner stock than I realized, and holding a 100+ year old baseball card is really cool...and I didn't need a very big budget to acquire it.

Attachment 362422
Fantastic post and 100% true. Never thought about it this way, so thank you for this. I’m sure I enjoy my collection much more as a result of limited funds, knowing that I had to do without something else because I would rather own this.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:20 PM
Garth Guibord

I think the fun and joy in collecting is in the journey. My big project now (Red Sox T206 team set, each with a different back) could last another few years until the right (i.e. low enough grade that I can afford) front/back combo of one of the super rare backs comes along. But that's the budget I'm working with and I'm happy to go along for that journey. And when (or if) the ride comes to an end and the project is complete, I'll get a lot of joy and pride from the cards by remembering that journey and what it took to get there. I think it's much more fulfilling that way.