NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Baseball Memorabilia B/S/T

Old 06-03-2022, 06:59 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default SOLD RARE 1919 Black Sox related Hotel Sinton Spoon

Vintage to 1910's offered here a souvenir spoon that was perhaps sold in the gift shop at the infamous Hotel where "The Fix" took place. You can picture possibly one of the Sox player's wives purchasing one of these to remember their visit to The Queen City.

This was the Hotel where the Black Sox: Shoeless Joe Jackson, Eddie Cicotte, Chic Gandil, Swede Risberg, Buck Weaver, Happy Felsch, Lefty Williams,
and Fred McMullin met with the gamblers to throw the 1919 World Series.

A very unique addition to any Black Sox display or vintage baseball collection. There is also a great scene in the movie Eight Men Out at the Hotel.

From...Red Legs and Black Sox: Edd Roush and the Untold Story of the 1919 World Series

The book outlines Roush's theory that the White Sox were playing to win after Game 1. This theory is developed with Roush's story of Jimmy Widmeyer, the "Million Dollar Newsboy"
who ran a newsstand at the Walnut and 5th in Cincinnati. Widmeyer, who was alerted about a possible fix, rented the room at the Sinton next to Black Sox stars Ed Cicotte and Happy Felsch.
Widmeyer "with his ear pressed against the wall with a water glass" overhead arguments between White Sox players and the gamblers, presumably Abe Attell, about getting their
pay-off for tanking Game one of the 1919 World Series.

From the Trial transcipts:

Frustrated and angry at getting only $10,000 from Sullivan, seven of the players (only Joe Jackson was absent) met on the day before the Series opener at the Sinton Hotel
in Cincinnati with Abe Attell. Attell refused to pay the players any cash in advance, offering instead $20,000 for each loss in the best-of-nine Series. The players complained,
but told the gamblers that they would throw the first two games with Cicotte and Williams as the scheduled starting pitchers.
Q. [What players were there at the meeting at the Hotel Sinton?
A. There was Gandil, McMullin, Williams, Felsch, Cicotte, and Buck Weaver.
Q. What about Jackson?
A. I didn't see him there.
Q. Did you have any conversation with them?
A. I told them I had a $100,000 to handle the throwing of the World Series. I also told them that I had the names of the men who were going to finance it.
Q. Who were the financiers?
A. They were Arnold Rothstein, Attell, and Bennett.
Q. Did the players make any statements concerning the order of the games to be thrown?
A. Gandil and Cicotte said the first two games should be thrown. They said,however, that it didn't matter to them. They would throw them in any order desired, it was a
made-to-order Series.
Q. What else was said?
A. Gandil and Cicotte said they'd throw the first and second games. Cicotte said he'd throw the first game if had to throw the ball over the fence [at Cincinnati's park...]
Q. Who left the room first?
A. Attell and Bennett [alias of gambler David Zelcer of Des Moines, a defendant in the case]. I asked the players what I was to get. Gandil said that I would get a player's part....
After the first game, I met Attell...and then we met Maharg. Attell said he bet all the money and couldn't pay the players until the bets were collected. I told the ballplayers and
told Williams that Attell wanted to see them. Williams, Gandil, and I went to see Attell at a place on Walnut Street about a block and a half from the Sinton Hotel.

$75 Shipped
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HotelSintonSpoon1.jpg (138.0 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg HotelSintonSpoon2.jpg (174.7 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg HotelSintonSpoon3.jpg (87.7 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg HotelSintonSpoon4.jpg (84.5 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 06-04-2022 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-04-2022, 07:23 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

$50 shipped
Old 06-04-2022, 08:49 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
$50 shipped
Message me your paypal please and I'll pay ASAP, thanks!

Mike