NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-21-2023, 09:19 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Run of the mill 1970s Double Bar Saints pennant but in it's original packaging.

Drumroll for the maker...

Drumroll continues...

"APSCO"

What is APSCO? Did ASCO become APSCO?
“Ideal for decorating Bar Mitzvah occasions.”
Old 03-21-2023, 10:44 PM

Quote:
What is APSCO? Did ASCO become APSCO? Google APSCO now and you get hydraulic valve actuators.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30485127452...mis&media=COPY
I think we covered APSCO a few hundred pages ago on this thread ... maybe.

So these guys are actually still in business, today; still located in Brooklyn; and, still in the screen printing business (among other things). See: https://www.apscoenterprises.com/

Their company opened in 1979, per their site. Doesn't look like they make pennants--if they do, they don't seem to have any lucrative licenses from any of the big leagues to use their marks.

I have about 5-6 pictures of pennants in their APSCO packaging, identical to this one. Still not sure why they were branded, "PENNANT POST." (What does that even mean?) All MLB and NFL pennants from the late 1970s/early 1980s, including cheap reproductions of classic Trench designs from the 1950s. When I interviewed Mr. Storm (longtime Trench owner/president) I asked him about APSCO; and I think he indicated they were a Trench "distributor." I don't recall him being dead certain of this; but, we've got strong evidence that the two and single bar helmet pennant series were all made by Trench, so I'm inclined to believe him.

Here's a Steelers double bar helmet pennant in original APSCO packaging; with a JC Penny price tag still attached. APSCO must've specialized in department stores, so that may explain why Trench (a wholesale manufacturer that sold directly to stadium concessionaires) needed the help of a middle man to help tap into that type of retail market; and, why their pennants required a sealed packaging--something you'd never see at the ballpark.

Screenshot 2023-03-21 201446.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-21 201718.jpg
Old 03-22-2023, 09:06 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
#28 on this page (scroll down). No picture. Yes, just your basic 1960’s football nodder.
Thanks, Rob. How do you know without a pic? Or is the description--baggy shirt, toes up--that of a standard 60s football nodder? Can you shoot me or direct me to a pic of that style? On another "oddball" front, has anybody ever catalogued kewpie dolls like the one pictured alongside my Amherst pennant? Although the accompanying pins were more or less separate--hung around their necks or pinned to the body--their colors mark them as distinctive to the entity represented by the pins. In other words, the colors of mine are the Amherst purple and white, perhaps faded a bit, and I think the other kewpies I've seen are also particular to the colleges or pro teams of the pins. Not as nice or as collectible as bobbin heads, to be sure, but still vintage and seriously collectible, I would think. Just wondering if anybody has ever paid any real attention to them that you know of?
Old 03-22-2023, 09:14 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Run of the mill 1970s Double Bar Saints pennant but in it's original packaging. "APSCO"What is APSCO? Did ASCO become APSCO? Google APSCO now and you get hydraulic valve actuators.
Fantastic!
Old 03-22-2023, 09:17 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
“Ideal for decorating Bar Mitzvah occasions.”
Too funny!
Old 03-22-2023, 10:08 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Thanks, Rob. How do you know without a pic? Or is the description--baggy shirt, toes up--that of a standard 60s football nodder? Can you shoot me or direct me to a pic of that style? On another "oddball" front, has anybody ever catalogued kewpie dolls like the one pictured alongside my Amherst pennant? Although the accompanying pins were more or less separate--hung around their necks or pinned to the body--their colors mark them as distinctive to the entity represented by the pins. In other words, the colors of mine are the Amherst purple and white, perhaps faded a bit, and I think the other kewpies I've seen are also particular to the colleges or pro teams of the pins. Not as nice or as collectible as bobbin heads, to be sure, but still vintage and seriously collectible, I would think. Just wondering if anybody has ever paid any real attention to them that you know of?
Shoot John Brey an email. He can probably provide you a pic.

I have a bunch of those “kewpie dolls.” Some are done in Giants colors; others were not. Some have “Giants” stenciled on the chest, others don’t. They’re pretty fragile, in that the celluloid can be easily crushed.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:45 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
I have a bunch of those “kewpie dolls.” Some are done in Giants colors; others were not. Some have “Giants” stenciled on the chest, others don’t. They’re pretty fragile, in that the celluloid can be easily crushed.
Did your kewpies come with pins?
Old 03-22-2023, 12:46 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Rob, you should start a thread called "Hey Kewpie Guys"...

You might even get responses into the double-digits.

Seriously though, they are pretty cool, and really undervalued. I guess very few people collect them. Seems like a small percentage have survived with their heads un-cracked/un-chipped. I gave up on finding a clean intact Reds Kewpie a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 03-22-2023, 01:24 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Rob, you should start a thread called "Hey Kewpie Guys"...You might even get responses into the double-digits.
Seriously though, they are pretty cool, and really undervalued. I guess very few people collect them. Seems like a small percentage have survived with their heads un-cracked/un-chipped. I gave up on finding a clean intact Reds Kewpie a while back.
It's me that did the hijacking, Mark, sorry about that. But while I have you here...do you think they all came with pins originally? And I agree completely about the lack of love they get.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:36 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
It's me that did the hijacking, Mark, sorry about that. But while I 've you here...do you think they all came with pins originally? And I agree completely about the lack of love they get.
Hey Hank...

Any thread this long is gonna get hijacked a time or two (I have done it many times here myself). The Kewpies definitely came with and without pins attached on the back. In fact, I believe the ones without the pins are more prevalent.

All of this talk now has me psyched about looking for a nice Reds version!

Old 03-22-2023, 01:57 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Here's one without the Pin, Hank...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17532240438...3ABFBM7NaaruFh

Although probably just a generic doll, to which someone added the Reds Pin. Not a true Reds Doll, unfortunately.

Last edited by perezfan; 03-22-2023 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:59 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Here's one without the Pin, Hank...Although probably just a generic doll, to which someone added the Reds Pin. Not a true Reds Doll, unfortunately.
Why would you be so sure about that, unless you think the doll and pin are of different eras altogether? My doll came with the pin hanging from the neck in a similar fashion, but the pin was upside down so I took it off and pinned it right-side-up. I got mine at a National from pennant and pin dealer Rick Haskins, who had a bunch of similar college dolls/pins and maybe some pro teams, too. Do we know who made these dolls, and I wonder if there are any depicted in manufacturer catalogs? Why don't you start a kewpie thread looking for your Cincy example?
Old 03-22-2023, 04:10 PM
John €ffenheim

Quote:
#28 on this page (scroll down). No picture. Yes, just your basic 1960’s football nodder.

http://www.nodderexchange.com/
Old 03-22-2023, 04:42 PM
Rob

Greg has got to be pulling his hair out...

Here's my last word on "kewpie dolls" (at least in this thread).... I think the ones you would want are the ones that came with the pins. There were definitely dolls and pins put together later. My "best' dolls have a crude SF on the cap, "Giants" stenciled on the chest and are of the proper black and orange color scheme. I think the "right" ones (as shown in this picture from a 1964 merchandise mailer) have a doubled up ribbon, held in place by the pinback's pin, which is looped through an elastic band around the doll's neck.

P.S. sure wish I had a dozen of those "correct signature" Mays nodders, at a buck and a half apiece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catalog3.jpg (116.3 KB, 246 views)
Old 03-22-2023, 06:07 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Why would you be so sure about that, unless you think the doll and pin are of different eras altogether? My doll came with the pin hanging from the neck in a similar fashion, but the pin was upside down so I took it off and pinned it right-side-up. I got mine at a National from pennant and pin dealer Rick Haskins, who had a bunch of similar college dolls/pins and maybe some pro teams, too. Do we know who made these dolls, and I wonder if there are any depicted in manufacturer catalogs? Why don't you start a kewpie thread looking for your Cincy example?
Hank…

They were sold both generic and with the team insignia on the cap and the breast. The one I linked above is on eBay, and is not mine. It may well have originally come that way from the vendor. We will probably never know.

I do not own a Reds one. I used to have one with a wishbone “C” on the cap and also stenciled on his chest. I did not pursue the one on eBay because it’s a generic doll that could’ve been used for any team that wears a red uniform (Reds, Cardinals, Phillies, Red Sox, etc.). I personally would opt for one with the Reds’ team insignia on the uniform and hat.

That’s just me and possibly my OCD I’m afraid. There is no better seller than Rick Haskins, so if he said yours is legit, I’m sure it is. Bottom line is that they came both ways.

Hope these Kewpies are enjoying their 15 minutes of fame on this thread!

Old 03-23-2023, 08:32 AM
chris

How bout this guy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 068.jpg (49.0 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg 069.jpg (46.8 KB, 225 views)
Old 03-23-2023, 08:52 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Greg has got to be pulling his hair out...
Here's my last word on "kewpie dolls" (at least in this thread).... I think the ones you would want are the ones that came with the pins. There were definitely dolls and pins put together later. My "best' dolls have a crude SF on the cap, "Giants" stenciled on the chest and are of the proper black and orange color scheme. I think the "right" ones (as shown in this picture from a 1964 merchandise mailer) have a doubled up ribbon, held in place by the pinback's pin, which is looped through an elastic band around the doll's neck. P.S. sure wish I had a dozen of those "correct signature" Mays nodders, at a buck and a half apiece.
No kidding! Whose mailer is that? And that's exactly how my Amherst kewpie was when I bought it from Rick, so that seems to be the "standard" issue of origin. No doubt secondary dealers later made their own configurations with a team or college pin to enhance the value of kewpies on their own without one, but it might also be the case that virtually all these dolls came with pins and ribbons originally and had the right color scheme to represent the team or college named on the pin. They are so rare I guess nobody will ever bother to try to catalogue them, but I find them almost as appealing as the nodders, perhaps even more so due to that very rarity.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:53 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpus Jones View Post
How bout this guy?
Wow, now we're talking!
Old 03-23-2023, 09:05 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Hank…
There is no better seller than Rick Haskins, so if he said yours is legit, I’m sure it is. Bottom line is that they came both ways. Hope these Kewpies are enjoying their 15 minutes of fame on this thread!
I agree 100% about Rick, he's as good as it gets in the hobby: always with great stuff at reasonable prices, and pleasant as he could be. I doubt, however, that he made any claims about his collection of kewpies, but just presented them for sale. It wasn't hard for me to see that the Amherst kewpie had colors close enough to that colleges purple and white scheme, though, and with the pin secured around the neck like the others he had, if memory serves correctly, it wasn't hard for me to surmise that the entire assemblage was made to represent Amherst and not something cobbled together later. I don't remember what I paid, but I do seem to recall that it wasn't much at all, maybe $25 or such. Now I wish, of course, that I'd bought all he had, maybe ten in all.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:08 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by effe View Post
Thanks! I wonder if that's a record price for a standard size nodder?
Old 03-23-2023, 09:29 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
I love that style. I have not seen an Amherst version before. I have a few...Boston College, Holy Cross, Boston Latin. I'm starting to feel it might have been a Massachusetts maker? There is a Fordham out there too. What a deal for $20.
Yes, perhaps a regional manufacturer. Do your others have the same image, for which this magazine cover might have been the inspiration?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amherst pennant image.JPG (135.0 KB, 233 views)
Old 03-23-2023, 12:47 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpus Jones View Post
How bout this guy?
Should've known Chris would break out an even more unique version (and in perfect condition, no less). It even has a little pennant, bringing this thread back on-topic!

Looks like the little pennant is pinned to his shoulder and hip, with the material unquestionably matching his uniform. That's a variation I've personally never seen. Very cool, Chris... thanks for posting!

Last edited by perezfan; 03-23-2023 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:06 PM
chris

Quote:
Should've known Chris would break out an even more unique version (and in perfect condition, no less). It even has a little pennant, bringing this thread back on-topic!

Looks like the little pennant is pinned to his shoulder and hip, with the material unquestionably matching his uniform. That's a variation I've personally never seen. Very cool, Chris... thanks for posting!
Thanks, Mark. Hadn't thought about that little fella in a while and like you said, he's bringing the car back on the road with his pennant sash
Old 03-23-2023, 06:11 PM
Rob

Quote:
Yes, perhaps a regional manufacturer. Do your others have the same image, for which this magazine cover might have been the inspiration?
Yep...All are exactly like yours and this.
Attached Images
File Type: png BC.png (172.8 KB, 225 views)
Old 03-23-2023, 06:19 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Yep...All are exactly like yours and this.
That's so cool. Wonder who could have made them, and if there are other examples of a local or regional manufacturer who used the same image for a multitude of products?
Old 03-27-2023, 11:00 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Giving the thread a bump … was happy to acquire this, I have it in black but the condition of this one made it tough to resist. One of three different (known) versions with the Lou Boudreau head shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3BD3DE1C-9A37-480E-8362-6A5896A043E1.jpg (264.3 KB, 191 views)
Old 03-27-2023, 11:48 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Awesome pickup Greg...

Love the vibrant colors against the jet black background. The diminutive Boudreau headshot in this version is such a cool addition.

Old 03-27-2023, 01:38 PM
chris

Very stylish pennant Greg. Congrats.
Old 03-27-2023, 04:06 PM

Thanks Mark and Chris. Both of you being Reds collectors, here’s a question … I don’t know of any Reds scroll pennants by Trench from this era. Am I correct? I only know of the white ‘61s.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Awesome pickup Greg...

Love the vibrant colors against the jet black background. The diminutive Boudreau headshot in this version is such a cool addition.
Also my bad, the one I just got is blue, picture below the black one I already had in slightly lesser condition. Identical except for the color of Lou’s cap (which may have simply faded on the top one).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07642112-62EF-46F9-888F-BB6575B38A84.jpg (216.5 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 03-27-2023 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:28 PM
chris

Nothing is coming to mind but my memory ain't what it used to be either...
Old 03-27-2023, 07:49 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I also think 1961 is the only Reds Scroll pennant Trench made. Would love to be wrong!

Old 03-27-2023, 09:33 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser1979 View Post
Greg,

Here are a few pics of some of my favorite Tiger pennants I have. I agree, the Tigers did pennants right.
Great collection.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:58 AM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Thanks Mark and Chris. Both of you being Reds collectors, here’s a question … I don’t know of any Reds scroll pennants by Trench from this era. Am I correct? I only know of the white ‘61s.
I know the question wasn't addressed to me but....

This one is from 61 and it's a scroll (not my pennant btw). I know it doesn't have tassels but could it be Trench? I don't think I've seen the 1961 white version you're thinking of Greg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15273a_lg.jpg (191.5 KB, 174 views)
Old 03-28-2023, 04:44 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post

This one is from 61 and it's a scroll (not my pennant btw). I know it doesn't have tassels but could it be Trench? I don't think I've seen the 1961 white version you're thinking of Greg.
Those colors kind of scream WGN, don’t they?
Old 03-28-2023, 07:17 PM

Quote:

Gary thanks for showing this … it was an open question, one I thought the Reds fans would more likely know. I guess this is a WGN, like Rob suggests, to me they look a lot like Ad Flags after the early 50s so I can’t tell for sure. Definitely not Trench.

The 1948-1959 era Trench scroll pennants, IMO, is peak pennant beauty. They started getting weird in 1960.
Old 03-28-2023, 11:39 PM

Quote:

This is definitely by WGN. The Day-Glo color palette, the multi-colored scroll lettering, and the bat-skewered baseball are all typical of WGN's designs offered beginning in the late 1950s and continuing on through 1970.

There's an otherwise identical variant of this pennant that's dated, "1961." There's also a newer, similar looking one by WGN commemorating "The Big Red Machine" Reds that must've been one of the last MLB pennants ever made by them at the decade's end.

Last edited by Domer05; 03-28-2023 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-29-2023, 12:08 PM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
This is definitely by WGN. The Day-Glo color palette, the multi-colored scroll lettering, and the bat-skewered baseball are all typical of WGN's designs offered beginning in the late 1950s and continuing on through 1970.

There's an otherwise identical variant of this pennant that's dated, "1961." There's also a newer, similar looking one by WGN commemorating "The Big Red Machine" Reds that must've been one of the last MLB pennants ever made by them at the decade's end.
Thanks for clarifying. And because a picture is worth 1,000 words...here's the dated variant of the WGN pennant and the 1972 Big Red Machine edition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cincinnati Reds CIRD047-WGN.jpg (61.7 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Cincinnati Reds CIRD075-WGN.jpg (99.4 KB, 140 views)
Old 03-29-2023, 12:10 PM
Gary

Quote:
The 1948-1959 era Trench scroll pennants, IMO, is peak pennant beauty. They started getting weird in 1960.

I think everything started getting weird in the 1960s
Old 03-30-2023, 11:24 AM

We were talking recently about Tigers pennants, I thought I’d post my very favorite. Not my most valuable Tigers but definitely the most aesthetically appealing IMO. In case you didn’t know, I love Trench.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 895AAE94-F851-4901-B5F9-1572CE85CC10.jpg (216.2 KB, 122 views)
Old 04-02-2023, 04:34 PM

This looks interesting and a good buy but if interested, ask seller if the spine has been replaced. These Giants phantom pennants often have bleeding or water damage. Should have orange threads on back. Another seller was selling this a few months ago

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37460272767...MAAOSwV~NkKfwZ

Last edited by thetahat; 04-02-2023 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-02-2023, 08:08 PM

This is cool. A STL Browns exhibit with pennants on display. Love the oversized one, I think someone posted it on the board.

https://youtu.be/z4IKVJiYObg
Old 04-02-2023, 11:30 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
This is cool. A STL Browns exhibit with pennants on display. Love the oversized one, I think someone posted it on the board.

That's awesome! Only wish those pennants hanging vertically at the top were fully in view. There were a couple that are quite rare (I think )

Thanks for posting!

Old 04-03-2023, 07:32 AM

Quote:
That's awesome! Only wish those pennants hanging vertically at the top were fully in view. There were a couple that are quite rare (I think )

Thanks for posting!
There’s a 1944 roster pennant in red, which I didn’t know existed. And that oversized bunter pennant in the frame is just wonderful. That graphic shows up in a few places … ChiFeds, Phillies 1915, etc.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen an oversized Cardinals from that era.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:56 AM
Rob

Quote:

Very cool! They have stuff nearly as nice as Mark S.
Old 04-03-2023, 05:21 PM
Gary

Quote:

Great video. Thanks for sharing it.

I have a soft spot for the STL Browns. Not sure why but I think it's the whole underdog story and the stories. I've not been able to pick up a Browns pennant but it's on my list.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:26 PM

Gary, you might also like this hour long documentary:

https://youtu.be/EC_dpKONlhg

The Browns have, IMO, the coolest logo in sports history, with the Apothesis of Saint (King) Louis, nudging out the Brewers and Hartford Whalers. The statue which resides in front of the Saint Louis Art Museum is now a target for cancellation by leftist activists.

I wonder if any of the jersey collectors on the board have a Browns with this logo as a sleeve patch. Just beautiful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62ECCECA-DC3C-4998-A6E0-97D7DD46822D.jpg (91.4 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg BB4663E0-2DFD-468D-97A0-451F2BC29917.jpg (218.3 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 04-03-2023 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:25 PM

Default Browns

My only Brownie...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg penbrowns1.jpg (112.9 KB, 166 views)
Old 04-04-2023, 12:30 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypcl View Post
My only Brownie...
Great one, Andy....

Impossible to find that red felt version, as the brown and blue felt variations probably account for 98% of those that have survived. That Mean Brownie is way too cool!

Old 04-04-2023, 09:52 AM

Default Brownie...

Thanks Mark. My dad acquired a group of pennants back in the 60's that included this one. They were mainly Football and also included the Bears one that I traded to you maybe five years ago? Mind posting that one? I remember the great snarling bear. Thanks!