NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-22-2008, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Default Mandatory Paypal acceptance to sell on Ebay

Posted By: dan mckee

Wasn't the date for this last week sometime??? I am still seeing sellers allowed to sell with no paypal as I prefer to. I converted early to be prepared but I do not see this change in effect. Anyone have any specifics? Dan.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

There is a grace period of 6 months or the complete abdication of sellers, whichever comes first.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Apparently mandatory means mandatory except when it doesn't.

Or maybe they implement on checkouts...

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 10-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

People are still sending me checks, and for that matter what would prevent them? If a winning bidder asked to pay by check and I agreed to accept it, how could ebay stop us?

Old 10-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: D. Bergin

You can still accept payments by check or money order if the customer requests it. You just can't solicit payments in those forms.......................I guess?

Ebay still has those options listed in my auctions so I'm not changing anything until they do so. I'll still accept payments in just about any format short of stamps that somebody wants to pay me in.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

that's the ol' lateral thinking! I suppose you could put in your listings: "If you really hate paypal and don't want to use it, please email me to arrange for payment via check or money order." All they could do is take down your listings.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: S Gross

Maybe "we" can start an underground movenment on ebay.

Start putting a minor code (i.e "CA" for checks accepted) somewhere in the ebay listing. Ebay couldn't catch all of that, or do anything about it.

.... just an idea

Old 10-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Administrator

"Maybe "we" can start an underground movenment on ebay.

Start putting a minor code (i.e "CA" for checks accepted) somewhere in the ebay listing. Ebay couldn't catch all of that, or do anything about it."

If we did and Ebay caught wind of it they would handle it the Ebay way. With a blunt force hammer!

All use of the letters "C" and "A" in consecutive form would be disallowed throughout the entire Ebay platform.

As a consequence all sellers from California, Canada and Cambodia would be subsequently suspended and eventually banned from selling on Ebay.

Also, the selling of items such as "carriages", "beer cans", "candles" and "cards" becomes incredibly tricky if not nearly impossible.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Red

On an Ebay board I saw somebody that changed their EBay ID to "iacceptmoneyorders"

Old 10-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Administrator

It's also not mandatory for sellers to accept PayPal. You have to be set up with some type of merchant account to accept credit cards, or you have to be set up to accept PayPal. You can also offer both options.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

If you as a buyer ask and the seller accepts, you can pay be money order or check, I'll paste the Ebay Workshop link below and the quote from the ebay rep who made the comment. If you read the thread, you'll find that as a seller, you can't paste the following into your auction:

http://workshops.ebay.com/thread.jspa?threadID=130000703&ssPageName=CMDV:WC0719

monicab@ebay.commonicab@ebay.com

View Listings
Aug-28-08 12:18 PDT
8 of 173

Buyers requesting check or money order a seller can accept check and money order payment from a buyer if (and only if) the buyer requests it. We will not take action against a seller who is trying to accommodate their buyer, complete a sale and be in compliance with the policy. A seller can also decide to refuse check or money order payment from a buyer.

When these changes go into effect in late October, a seller cannot in any way solicit check or money order payment from a buyer. This will be considered a
violation of the Accepted Payments Policy. Violations may result in:

* Listing cancellation
* Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings
* Limits on account privileges
* Loss of PowerSeller status
* Account suspension

One
way we will detect violations is through buyer reports. We will also
monitor checkout completion rates for sellers, and this has generated a
lot of questions from sellers. Here are some clarifications:

* eBay
will not automatically take action against a seller with a low
completion rate. We realize that there are many valid reasons for low
completion rates.
* We will investigate sellers with low
checkout completion rates on a case by case basis. Specifically, we
will check to see if the seller is soliciting check or money order
payment from their buyers. If we don’t find any evidence of this
occurring, we won’t take action against the seller.

You can refuse to accept checks and money orders. If the buyer refuses to pay
using the payment methods specified in your listing, file an Unpaid
Item dispute (UPI). If the buyer fails to respond to eBay's requests
for more information through the UPI process, provides an inadequate
response such as nonsense words, or insists upon paying with an
unapproved payment method, any negative or neutral Feedback left by the
buyer will be removed.

If a buyer threatens negative Feedback to demand payment by a method not specified in your listing you should immediately report the buyer to eBay. If there is clear evidence of undue pressure, eBay will take action. If a buyer shows a pattern of malicious behavior, eBay will most likely suspend the buyer and any negative or neutral Feedback the buyer left for any sellers will be removed.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

DO WE LIVE IN RUSSIA?

Old 10-23-2008, 07:31 AM
Administrator

All I can say is Thank God Ebay is finally doing something about all these devious buyers trying to rip us off by using a form of payment which can't be cancelled with zero reasons given and a simple click of a button..............and costs the seller less in fees.

We asked and Ebay listened.

Hooray for Ebay.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I think we will see Ebay's earnings take a pretty big hit over this and all of their other stellar ways of making a round peg fit into a square hole. I find it difficult to believe a company this size is making this big of a mistake. It really does almost seem like Communism to me.....I think even more sellers will be leaving....which will mean less buyers, or course. Maybe after a while of depleted revenue/income they will come to their senses?

Old 10-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

How could they not?

Old 10-23-2008, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Ebay collected a fee when people listed and sold items. That wasn't enough so they came up with PayPal to collect an additional 2-3% from a large percentage of the sales. But they were losing that extra 2-3% when people opted to pay by check, money order, or through a seller's own credit card merchant account. The ban on checks and money orders will get Ebay to collecting the extra 2-3% on nearly every Ebay sale. They are still allowing people to pay by credit card via a seller's own merchant account, or the new Ebay owned alternative to a merchant account, but that option will soon need to be integrated into Ebay's checkout system and won't be a cost effective alternative for most people. Bottom line is Ebay has figured out a way to rake an additional 2-3% on nearly 100% of every dollar people spend on Ebay.

The only part of the transaction they haven't quite yet perfected yet is maximizing their profit by limiting delivery options, although they're very close with their PayPal shipping, new shipping maximum policies, and the free shipping suggestions to improve DSR ratings. Free shipping for the buyer only means the cost will be added into each and every fixed price listing. When it's added into the price of the item final value fees are collected as well as the 2-3% PayPal fees. All they need now is to institute mandatory automatic printing of postage from your computer when processing orders and they'll have every nearly profit angle covered. Then it will be requiring the use of the special new Ebay authorized bubble envelopes.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Dwyer

Sounds like to me that eBay is trying to create a paper trail for the IRS. Maybe the IRS forced them to do this. (?)

Old 10-24-2008, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

No, Dan. If we lived in Russia we've all have been extorted for the majority of our ebay sales proceeds by vory v zakone (Russian Mafia) protected by the bribed government long ago.