NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-05-2020, 12:25 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default Best value in HOF T206 Portraits?

I was curious to see if you all could recommend a “best value” trend right now, for lower grade HOF portraits in T206. I have picked up a few recently - and must admit these things are more addictive than drugs. Lower grades, I’m probably in the price range for presentable 1’s and 2’s. I don’t mind wrinkles or corner wear, would prefer to avoid severe creases or paper loss over the face or anything “true beater” like that. Minor paper loss on the front is ok, back more so. Authentic is probably fine as, well, so long as trimming is not severely obvious. As I’m just starting out, backs are not really a concern - garden variety Piedmont or Sweet Cap will suit me just fine.

Thoughts? I already have the Young, Johnson, and Lajoie portraits in grades ranging from 1 to 2(MC).

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-05-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:38 PM
Gobucsmagic74

I still think Tris Speaker is a great value card with upside. I don't own one but hope to sometime in the near future. Edit: Sorry, I missed the portrait part. Nevermind

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 02-05-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:38 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Eddie Collins
Old 02-05-2020, 12:40 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I don't really think there's any under the radar cards. They are nice items that have appreciate and it makes it tough to get a great value on it. Were I trying to do so, I would make sure I have a Dahlen or two and a Bill Dinneen. Both have a chance to get into the Hall of Fame which will lead to a run up on their cards. Dahlen already enjoys somewhat premium pricing, but Dinneen less so. He became a very respected umpire with would be his ticket. He was behind the plate in the first all star game.

You might also just pick up players that are particularly interesting. I have worked on a Davidson run for some time...though I don't think it's likely I will ever find a Drum back I have all of the rest of them. Deacon Phillippe is an interesting pitcher who started 5 games in a single World Series.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:53 PM

Lajoie
Old 02-05-2020, 01:19 PM
Josh

Lajoie has skyrocketed as of late. Wallace, Bresnahan, McGraw, Griffith, Jennings, and Marquard are all fairly priced not marquee names but HOF cards well priced for any budget.

Last edited by Jstottlemire1; 02-05-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:27 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Josh, although it could be argued that he is a lesser HOFer, one thing I really like about Marquard is that you can actually listen to his story on the old Glory of their Times recordings which are widely available. Actually a collection of the players featured on the audio recordings would be pretty interesting and fun.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:48 PM

Joss is a good buy too. His portrait is one of my all time favorite images.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:00 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

I know you are asking for sleepers so this won’t be the obvious choice but Cobb red portraits will always lead the way with price trends on t206 portraits. It’s as high volume stable trading as you can get. Still a great value. I wouldn’t mess with the other portraits until a Cobb red is in the bag. It’s inevitable that you need one.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:16 PM
Don Hontz

Well first it was the Green Cobb a couple of years ago---Then the Cy Young took off and last was the Nap Lajoie.----I like the Red Cobb to take off on Portraits, Eddie Collins, Evers and Matty.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:41 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default Best value in HOF T206 Portraits?

This card clearly has its issues, but at least for right now I’m more excited about this type of thing than I am cards that would grade 5 or 6 from the 1960’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-05-2020 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:50 PM

If you can find one with a harder back in your price range, I would go for it
Old 02-05-2020, 05:56 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

I would go after a Matty portrait. Still fairly reasonable in a 2.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:47 PM

Jennings Portrait is on the tougher side of the HOF ledger and somewhat underappreciated. Also a nice looking card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206 Jennings Portrait PSA 5.jpg (75.9 KB, 523 views)
Old 02-05-2020, 06:53 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
I know you are asking for sleepers so this won’t be the obvious choice but Cobb red portraits will always lead the way with price trends on t206 portraits. It’s as high volume stable trading as you can get. Still a great value. I wouldn’t mess with the other portraits until a Cobb red is in the bag. It’s inevitable that you need one.
And if you can find a low grade one that you are happy with, all the better. Otherwise I still think Young Portrait is a good value. The Cy Young award will always keep his name in the forefront.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cyb.jpg (79.8 KB, 515 views)

Last edited by Leon; 02-05-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:55 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
Jennings Portrait is on the tougher side of the HOF ledger and somewhat underappreciated. Also a nice looking card.

I do like that.

Old 02-05-2020, 06:58 PM
John P
Joh.n Per.rotta

Default Portrait

Bender Portait is a classic.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:37 PM
Jerry

I would add these two
Old 02-05-2020, 08:09 PM

I still own it, Leon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hindu Young.jpg (77.0 KB, 476 views)
File Type: jpg Hindu Young B.jpg (77.1 KB, 477 views)
Old 02-05-2020, 11:23 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
And if you can find a low grade one that you are happy with, all the better. Otherwise I still think Young Portrait is a good value. The Cy Young award will always keep his name in the forefront.

See...this is the kind of card that money can’t even buy at times. Rarely does the good eye appeal stuff come up for sale. Tremendous value and nice pickup Leon.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:58 AM
J0hn Collin$

I don’t think anyone has said yet - but as a Cubs fan, the Mordecai Brown portrait is definitely on my list.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:59 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
I still own it, Leon.

That’s gorgeous.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:19 AM
Brendan Mullen

Joss because it's pretty undervalued. Matty because it's a great looking card and is somewhat undervalued.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:25 PM
Scott

Ed Walsh portrait
Old 02-06-2020, 10:15 PM

Thanks John.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:49 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Thanks John.
I would agree that the Cobb red portrait is the cheapest. Not sure it is undervalued. Agree that it will keep going up, as it seems will every other T206 Cobb card. But the question is relative value.

This is actually a hard question imo, because, at least in terms of answers, it essentially is asking which of the first tier HOFers is the most affordable. If so, I would say Matty or Cy. But they certainly are not cheap even now. If you are asking beyond that, I would say Collins, who is criminally underrated, maybe Lajoie despite his price increase, Walsh, who was a great pitcher in the day and whose card is gorgeous. Maybe Chesbro and Keeler., although they wouldn't be my pick to increase. For T206 non-HOFers, clearly Dahlen, who has (IMO) deserved election for years and will have anther shot in 2021. My brother and I, who agree on almost nothing else, agree that he should be elected. I guess we'll see.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:25 AM
David Linardy

Default Good value portraits

Definitely collins... like speaker, its one of his earlier cards... Stats are comparable to lajoie, but card values seem to trail his...

Registration on that card can be tough but every mow Nd agIn you can find one thT is nice on the eyeS
Old 02-07-2020, 07:23 AM

Now that I've thought about it, if you're chasing the Lajoie portrait I'd change gears and go after the Lajoie with bat. That card is a real card's card.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:26 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Now that I've thought about it, if you're chasing the Lajoie portrait I'd change gears and go after the Lajoie with bat. That card is a real card's card.
I have a lower grade copy of the Lajoie portrait. I'd like to go after some more portraits first (for whatever reason they are what's holding my interest right now...) before venturing out. But yes the Lajoie w/ bat is a nice card.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:28 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop View Post
Definitely collins... like speaker, its one of his earlier cards... Stats are comparable to lajoie, but card values seem to trail his...

Registration on that card can be tough but every mow Nd agIn you can find one thT is nice on the eyeS
Given that I'm also a Collins, I guess I should be interested in Eddie...
Old 02-08-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Given that I'm also a Collins, I guess I should be interested in Eddie...
And don't forget about your other Collins ancestor with a T206 Hall of Fame portrait...Jimmy.

Brian (image courtesy of the internet)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206jimmycollins.jpg (79.6 KB, 221 views)
Old 02-09-2020, 07:11 AM

I have been following this thread for a week now, and only now am I able to form my opinion on the subject matter: Unless you are looking to sell the card in the relative short term, current “best value” is irrelevant.

I am long on the cards I own, which means I consider where I think value will be in the relatively distant future. Under these circumstances, I have confidence in T206s generally, and Cobb, Young, Wajo, and Matty, specifically, bc they are absolute studs. I also believe that Tinker-Evers-Chance as well as Speaker, Lajoie and E Collins will have continued appeal; this is not only bc they were great players, but also because they are from big markets and historic teams and/or have a unique lore that transcends their career (Tinker-Evers—Chance poem; 1933 Goudey Lajoie, etc).

I think players like Walsh, Waddell, Joss, Bender, Baker, etc. will have on-again, off-again appeal, and if you time the market right, you could make a few bucks. But I am not a gambler and am not interested in timing the market. I would rather go with the “sure thing” (or as close as it exists in cards). To me, that means Cobb, Young, Wajo and Matty, as well as rare backs on higher-end HOFers.

Note, this post assumes Wagner and Plank are non-factors for the OP, although I believe both are tremendous longterm investments.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:07 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I still think Young Portrait is a good value. The Cy Young award will always keep his name in the forefront.
I agree. For as long as I could remember the green portrait Cobb and Young cards were pretty much at the same tier. Then Cobb soared. I thing Young has room to move.

As for undervalued, I don't think there are really any sleepers. I agree with Kenny that the Walsh is one of the nicest cards in the set and that Collins is spectacular. I am very happy I got mine years ago:

Another group you cannot go wrong with:

Also gotta give it up for the Chief:

I always thought it was one of the nicest ones in the set.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-09-2020, 09:11 AM

Ryan, agreed, well said.

Adam, great cards.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:00 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I like the Frank Chance - Red, particularly since the yellow was, I believe, double printed, like the Cobb Red. I also like the Waddell and Keeler.