NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-24-2016, 07:25 PM
Sean Sullivan

Default News wire photo question - any experts out there?

Picked up this photo of Joe for pretty cheap. I think it is a news wire photo, and it seems to have all the right stamps on the back.

I know nothing about wire photos. How do you tell if it is from the correct time period? Do people reprint/fake them?
Maybe I am too paranoid, but I always presume that anyone will reprint/fake anything if there is money in it.

If this is "legit", the date on the back makes it one of the earliest photos of Joe in a Yankees uniform I have ever seen (although I have seen one from about two weeks prior to this date once).

Any information from one of you experts would be great.

Just to be clear, I am definitely NOT suggesting the seller scammed me or anything like that; I just have no idea about this stuff.

Needless to say, if this is from the date it says it is, I am STOKED to add it to my DiMaggio collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Early Joe D.jpg (15.1 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg Early Joe D Back.jpg (11.2 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by JoeDfan; 03-24-2016 at 07:26 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 03-24-2016, 08:07 PM
Ben North

I can guarantee it is better than the Mears "poster" you bought.

Cool looking item, I know less than nothing about vintage photos, hopefully someone here can help you.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:38 PM
Banned

Its a legit wirephoto. But wirephotos in general are less valuable than a press photo. Some people dont collect them because theyre not considered "originals" and usually the images are grainy (not all). But as long as youre happy with it thats all that matters. Nice pick up

Last edited by JoeyFarino; 03-24-2016 at 10:56 PM. Reason: More info
Old 03-24-2016, 10:29 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

I think he intended to say, a wire photo is far less than a off the negative period photo. A wire photo is also called a press photo. Just clarifying

Nice image!
Old 03-25-2016, 07:25 AM
Sean Sullivan

Thanks for the help guys!

I don't mind at all that it is not as "valuable" as a press photo, I just wanted to be sure it was from the correct time period.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:36 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

If it's one of the earliest, it will have value even as a wirephoto. Known as a historical artifact. It looks period and official to me.

Wirephotos with the caption in the image (usually at the bottom) are almost always from the date in the caption. The date is the transmission date. So the good thing about wirephotos is that they're usually easy to date. And as wire news of timely news, they usually are period to the image. There will be cases where they use an old image (obituary, anniversary-- which will usually/often be detailed in a caption), but usually the photos are period to the image.

Last edited by drcy; 03-25-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:29 PM
Sean Sullivan

Thank you!