NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-28-2012, 08:52 AM
pete ullman

Default OT/Question regarding bailing on jury duty?

Hi all...I know there are a bunch of lawyers on the board...and I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question.

I am fulfilling my obligation to perform jury duty this week...which is where I sit right now.

Things are tight at work these days...as it's nearing the end of the month...and I'm considering leaving early...if the opportunity presents itself...as I need to see my patients.

What are the possible repercussions for bailing on my duty? Will I just get thrown back on the list(near the top)...could I get some form of ticket/summons?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Jim M.arinari

I know if you don't show, some judges are getting sick of it and issuing bench warrants for contempt of court. Possible $500 fine and 20 days in jail. They usually give a second chance. I'm not sure, but I think if you actually leave, there may not be a second chance! That would seem to be the definition of contempt of court.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:46 AM
pete ullman

thanks jim...I guess I'll stay!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:02 AM
Jim M.arinari

Old 08-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Isaac H.

I was scheduled for jury duty in July. When it came around, I totally forgot about it. Ended up calling them in the middle of the week that I was supposed to be serving, and she rescheduled me for two weeks later. When it came around again, I called as I was instructed to find out what time I was supposed to show up, and a pre-recorded message stated: "There are no trials this week. Thank you for your service." Hope it works out as well for you!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:27 AM
pete ullman

nice isaac...u lucked out!!!!! i'm just sitting here...biding my time...it figures today there is virtually 0 activity on here!!!!!!

I'm hoping they let me go at lunch so atleast I can see most of my patients today!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:59 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
I know if you don't show, some judges are getting sick of it and issuing bench warrants for contempt of court. Possible $500 fine and 20 days in jail. They usually give a second chance. I'm not sure, but I think if you actually leave, there may not be a second chance! That would seem to be the definition of contempt of court.
How could they ever prove you received the summons? They don't send them with delivery confirmation. After all, mail sometimes really does get lost. I don't see how they could legally enforce that without proving you recieved it.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:10 AM

Bench warrants are not sent through the mail. The police show up at your door or work, etc. and give you a free ride to the station.

A bench warrant is issued by a judge for the arrest of a person because they failed to appear at a required court hearing. A bench warrant allows law enforcement officials the ability to arrest the suspect at their residence, their place of work, or anywhere else they are sighted.

Last edited by HBroll; 08-28-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:16 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I didn't word my question correctly. Jim said that the judges are getting tired of people not showing up for jury duty. I meant, how could they ever prove you received the notice for jury duty?

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 08-28-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:16 AM
MikeHealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
How could they ever prove you received the summons? They don't send them with delivery confirmation. After all, mail sometimes really does get lost. I don't see how they could legally enforce that without proving you recieved it.
When they asked why you didn't show up. Unless you lie about and say you didn't receive the notice.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:18 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehealer View Post
When they asked why you didn't show up. Unless you lie about and say you didn't receive the notice.
Fair answer. But what if you really didn't receive it or accidentally tossed it?

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 08-28-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Anthøny N. ex

I've got jury duty the week after next, and was researching it. The site says that in LA County at least you have to prove you didn't get the summons, it is presumed that you did if it was mailed to where you normally get your mail.
I suspect other areas follow the same rules.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Jason Stricker

Just felt like this thread needed a T206 thrown in...
Old 08-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Jim M.arinari

When 40% don't show up on a consistent basis*, usually the Judge issues an amnesty of sorts**, to voluntarily come in to explain. After that expires, they are hauled in (free transportation!) to explain themselves. As Mike said, most tell the truth. All (except valid exclusions) are usually recalled very shortly after. A second no show is a big no no.

*Pecentages can vary between 1-100%

**Depends on how ornery, the Judge is

Last edited by Deertick; 08-28-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Jury duty is a pain in the neck. It is a disruption in our daily lives, keeping us from work and other important personal obligations. It is also a fundamental duty that helps to preserve our rights to trial by jury...a right that very few of us would want to give up. We have it pretty good in this country. I mean many of us have it so good that something as trivial as baseball cards can be important to us. The government doesn't ask much. Paying taxes and jury duty. I have been a trial lawyer, have police officers in my family, have been the victim of a crime, have been party to a lawsuit, in other words, it is unlikely that I will ever be allowed to actually sit on a jury. Nevertheless, I don't mind giving up a couple of days every 3 years or so if that's what it takes to keep the system working.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:44 AM
D.B. Cooper

The bright side is that there'll probably be alot of people in your cell block who need dental care.

http://imageevent.com/boboinnes/obaks
Old 08-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Pete Sycks

I also got Jury duty next week, not excited. It'll be tough missing time as a teacher if they take me. I laughed at the T206 card thrown in.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Manny
Banned

I love jury duty! I always hope I get picked for a gory murder trial.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:14 PM
pete ullman

I just returned from my 2 hour lunch break...more wasted time!!!!!!

I wouldn't mind sitting in on a jury...or performing my civic duty...if I didn't have to make up the patient time at work...as well as the lack of production which affects my whole office...not just me...like 20 people?!

Thanks for the t206...as bored as I've been here...it made me laugh!!!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 12:24 PM
qu@n nguy3n

bring the large ass herzog with you, tell the judge if he needs anything to talk to "this guy". you'll be momentarily dismissed.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

As the owner of a small business, I have asked and been excused every time I have been called (probably 5 or 6 times in 30 years). I did have to go down to the court and talk to an employee though, so one day was shot each time.

Jeff
Old 08-28-2012, 12:31 PM
pete ullman

quan...you're always full of excellent advice?!
Old 08-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Todd Schultz

Peter, tough it out. Down here anyway, if you make it through the whole day without being called you're done and won't be receiving another summons for a long while minimum (although Federal Court uses its own system and you could be haled there). Things could be worse, you could be actually empaneled on a jury for a multi-week trial

As an attorney I hate it when I am summoned for jury duty if only because there is almost no chance in hell I would ever get picked, so it's a guaranteed waste of time. Still, there is a civic duty and I have sat in that chair as you are now. Down here they do a pretty good job of letting you go early if the caseload is light. Good luck.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Zach

When I did jury duty, I sat in room with other people for 6 hours and I never even did the jury duty, just sat there and fell asleep in a chair and did crossword puzzles.

I do also agree with Vintagetoppsguy that how do they know that you receieved the papers, when they do not serve it or send with delivery confirmation? I am almost positive they have fail safes in place for people that never recieve the paperwork. I am sure you do not get prosecuted on the first no show.

Last edited by zljones; 08-28-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Todd Schultz

BTW, if you've been sitting there already I assume you had to sign in at some point. Hard to argue you didn't receive the summons if you've already shown up and signed the roster.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:36 PM
pete ullman

I'll suck it up Todd...but only because we're m101-3 Eddie Collins blood brothers!!!!!

I have signed the roster...yesterday...and now today!!!!

I never tried to deny I received the paper in the mail. My moral compass forbids me from lying...most of the time!!!!

Last edited by ullmandds; 08-28-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:46 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Ok, I'll admit it. I've never served jury duty a day in my life (and I'm 41 years old). In my house, those notices get thrown away.

Think of me as you wish, but I work for a living and don't have time for that. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but let them call the people that are unemployeed and living on unemployment assistance. After all, we're giving them money, let them earn it.

I don't mean to offend anyone that's unemployeed, I've been there myself and wish that on no one. My point is that they have the time and there are plenty of folks to pool from (and they're being paid anyway).
Old 08-28-2012, 12:49 PM
pete ullman

nice David...I appreciate your candor...and right now I'm wishing I did the same thing!
Old 08-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
I've got jury duty the week after next, and was researching it. The site says that in LA County at least you have to prove you didn't get the summons, it is presumed that you did if it was mailed to where you normally get your mail.
I suspect other areas follow the same rules.
Hey, Anthony, I'm supposed to start a trial that week downtown. If you're on my panel I'll get you thrown off so you can go home...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Pretty funny that someone started this thread today. I just came back from my doctor about an hour ago, who wrote me a note to get excused from jury duty. It just happens that I have a severe hearing loss which would make it tough for me to serve.

For the first time in my life, I feel that having a hearing loss is not so bad after all.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 08-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Ok, I'll admit it. I've never served jury duty a day in my life (and I'm 41 years old). In my house, those notices get thrown away.

Think of me as you wish, but I work for a living and don't have time for that. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but let them call the people that are unemployeed and living on unemployment assistance. After all, we're giving them money, let them earn it.

I don't mean to offend anyone that's unemployeed, I've been there myself and wish that on no one. My point is that they have the time and there are plenty of folks to pool from (and they're being paid anyway).
If you were to put on trial for something you didn't do (lets say wrong place at the wrong time and thus wrongfully accused), would you rather have employed jurors (with a stereotype of them being educated and hard working e.g. your peers) or unemployed jurors (stereotype being they are lazy and generally less-educated) deciding your fate? Just wondering

p.s. I know a LOT of unemployed people and while a few honestly want a job, most of them are content doing NOTHING but collecting that check from Uncle Sam. So maybe thats why I have a stereotype in my head of the average unemployed person. No insult intended to those who actually WANT a job but just can't find one or are down on their luck.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:11 PM
pete ullman

Rob G...I was thinking along similar lines...and I agree with most of what u said!!!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:12 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Man this thread is teetering on becoming a runaway train.

Jeff
Old 08-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default OT/Question regarding bailing on jury duty?

My doctor was nice enough to write a short note saying Jury Duty would be detrimental to my mental health. Worked like a charm. Haven't got a notice for 3 years now.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:51 PM
pete ullman

Not even close to that...yet?!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Jeff

Some parts of responsible citizenship are more inconvenient than others.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-28-2012, 02:09 PM

I got called for Jury Duty once. I never even got interviewed because they picked the jury before they got to me. I was happy to collect 40 bucks for doing nothing. I was between college semesters at the time and had nothing better to do. I was actually kind of disappointed I didn't get picked.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:20 PM

Everyone is missing the key here: the key is the court administrator. She (90% of the time) is the one who can let you out of jury duty or keep you in. There are legitimate reasons for being excused from jury duty (being self-employed and there being no one else capable or able to run the business and direct employees, physical handicaps, etc.) and some not so legitimate ones ( being buddies with the judge, etc.). That said, it gets so tiring to walk in to a courtroom to select a jury during voir dire and see that the jury panel is composed of the elderly, the "professional jurors" who have no jobs and no life other than being a juror or the delightful experience of representing an African-American or Hispanic client in a criminal case and seeing 100% Caucasian faces.
A savvy court administrator can shrink the jury panel in many ways, a good one is gold, a poor one is trouble. Most judges let the administrators deal with the people who call and want to be excused. It's a lot of power in the hands of a person who has no accountability.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:22 PM
T0dd M@rcum

It is important if you decide to walk out of court to grab your junk and at least make some slur toward the judge's ancestory. This will yield the most dramatic result.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Zach

Or you can do as Homer Simpson said in one of the "Simpsons" episodes, "The key to beating jury duty is to say you are prejudice against all races."
Old 08-28-2012, 02:26 PM

I too got a Jury Summons that I forgot about. A few months later, I got a sternly worded letter demanding that I come in or face fines and/or jail time. I went as instructed and was promptly put on a jury. We spent one entire week trying to decide if some guy pulled his wife's hair before she slapped him (spousal abuse) or after she slapped him (self defense). Neither the husband or wife would testify (and neither spoke English anyway). It was kind of a waste of time, but interesting to see the system in progress. I hope you get a shorter, more interesting case.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:27 PM
pete ullman

In retrospect...I probably could have gotten out of this had I made up a story about me being the only DDS at my office...next time!!!!!

A possible solution to the problem u state, Bob, would be to make it so that employers can not "penalize" their employees when they are called to jury duty.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:31 PM
pete ullman

Zach...I have considered that angle as well...but it is my impression that if u are picked for a jury...you then get interviewed...and if after the interview...they don't want you in the jury(for whatever reason)...they send you back to the waiting area where you must remain until they either send u home...or u get selected for a different case.

This is the impression I got?!
Old 08-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

I get called every three years, like clockwork. I "reschedule" to an on-duty day. I never get picked and released before lunch. Always some kinda conflict of interest obstacle in the way, thankfully.

However, when I retire next year, I look forward to helping put a boatload of the Florida low-life's behind bars. It's gonna be so fun.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:42 PM
pariah1107

There MUST be a serious conflict of interest with either the judge, lawyers, or the criminals in your case Pete. Just explain to the court that "I'm his dentist, I have seen this mans' teeth, and may hold it against him in a court of law or on his next visit to the office." Don't make me break out the "Little Shop of Horrors" references....
Old 08-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Zach...I have considered that angle as well...but it is my impression that if u are picked for a jury...you then get interviewed...and if after the interview...they don't want you in the jury(for whatever reason)...they send you back to the waiting area where you must remain until they either send u home...or u get selected for a different case.

This is the impression I got?!
That actually is how it works, when I went I never even got that interview, I just sat forever, I was in the process of waiting to be interviewed but no one got interviewed at all. There was probably no trial.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Al

Default jury duty

Peter,
For what its worth I to own my own business. I have had Jury Duty 8 times. Yes 8 times. Its computer driven and if you dont go in as I have been told you can be arrested (but it rarely happens) most of the time its a fine. It was so bad I know the court clerk by name (Barbara)and I did ask to be put before a judge to say isnt 8 times enough? To no avail. Just some food for thought if you are excused without serving the day the court has the right to call you again in 1 year. If you do serve the day(the most boring thing on this earth) you then have freedom for 3 years! As I found out the only way to get out of it is medical condition, student going to school out of state, or if you have been convicted on a class A felony! Moral of the story all us law biding people should just go hold some one up and get arrested so we dont have to go to jury duty!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 08-28-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Funny, I'm in my mid 30s and have yet to get a jury duty summons. Every 3 years is crazy.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:15 PM
pete ullman

al...that's insane!!!!! most people i question here in mn...about ever having to serve...say they've never had to...people of all ages!!! I think you're getting the royal screw-gie!!!!!

well...another day wasted doing nothing...we'll see what tomorrow brings!!!!

Thanks to all for the entertainment!!!

Last edited by ullmandds; 08-28-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:19 PM
pete ullman

woo hoo...it looks like I'm done for the week!!!! I lucked out!!!