NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-01-2021, 09:06 PM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Default What to expect at “The National”

I threw out something about going to Chicago to my wife a few months ago. I was half joking. Well, she went and is in the process of booking a trip to Chicago for “The National”. I have a few questions: what am I to expect? Deals to be made? Prices raised? Will I find another Zeenut Joe Jenkins? Will I stumble upon some T206 Cobbs? A reasonable W514 Joe Jackson? Will I meet fellow net54 guys?

Last edited by Kevin; 05-03-2021 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Joe JENKINS!
Old 05-01-2021, 10:31 PM
Br1an N0Iff

I would expect your National trip to occur in October.
Old 05-02-2021, 12:21 AM
octavio ranzola

Bring a lot of cash,,
Old 05-02-2021, 07:42 AM
Steven

Bring lots of cash and good footwear and nice socks as youll be walking all day. Dont forget your old stained favorite hat as well, its a code or something.

Youll see more stuff than you ever have and talk to more people about cards than an internet site could ever provide.

Snacks in the show are great, Chicago is expensive but a great town if you get into the city.

I bet it'll be the last time you take the wife though...just sayin.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:11 AM
Johnny MaZilli

JACKED UP MUSEUM PRICES.

Maybe a $500 per card end of week price grading at psa

Last edited by Johnny630; 05-02-2021 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:12 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Hotel and airline refunds.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:59 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
Bring a lot of cash,,
Too true, but guard it carefully. Professional pickpockets, grifters and con artists will be in abundance.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:17 AM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Too true, but guard it carefully. Professional pickpockets, grifters and con artists will be in abundance.
It's always smart to be on guard, however this building is a hard target for the lowlifes because of a couple things.

1) the pinch point at the ticket entrance is the way out and think about how long the distance is from there to River Road-where a bunch more traffic auxiliary Rosemont (aka "The Grampas") are waiting. Escape on the second floor-even tougher. Forget about the fire doors.

2)I've been assured by a 30+ year village exec. that "every inch" of the floor is covered by cameras. At my current job I share space with the security camera terminal and let me tell you, they can see the time on cell phone lock screens, np.

3) Plainclothes presence here is heavy, they love their job (it's a good job) and they communicate well. That image of safety and security is a primary PR detail the village prides itself on.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:33 PM
Tony Gordon

Unfortunately theft is rampant at the National in Rosemont. My booth was hit in 2010. All of the security cameras were off. I later learned that the guy who hit me was a Rosemont cop. He didn’t leave through the front door. He had access to the whole building and snuck out through a side exit. Be careful and vigilant at the show.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:38 AM
Joseph Mie.lke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I threw out something about going to Chicago to my wife a few months ago. I was half joking. Well, she went and is in the process of booking a trip to Chicago for “The National”. I have a few questions: what am I to expect? Deals to be made? Prices raised? Will I find another Zeenut Joe Jackson ? Will I stumble upon some T206 Cobbs? A reasonable W514 Joe Jackson? Will I meet fellow net54 guys?
I’ve been to every national in Chicago. Great deals can be found on Sundays.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:31 AM
je.sse @rnot

I haven't kept up with the news but is the national expected to take place this year?
Old 05-02-2021, 10:40 AM

Default There's a National every month in Texas u should vaca there??

Its awesome...Chicago's a joke will not happen u can barely go to a baseball game outside in Chicago.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:48 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Count on October if you're lucky, and don't expect many deals.
Old 05-02-2021, 12:47 PM

Expect nothing to be priced reasonably and to rage buy a card for more than you'd like to pay before you leave.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:08 AM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMANOS View Post
Its awesome...Chicago's a joke will not happen u can barely go to a baseball game outside in Chicago.
Nope. Chicago will be fully and safely reopened by July 4. I've been to four Cubs games this season and everything has been smooth as silk. The tickets are reasonable and, as in the past, cheap in the colder days early in the season. The cap is 10,340. I had the pleasure of eating inside a restaurant ahead of yesterday's game and the capacity in eateries will continue to be expanded. We're going to get our tourism economy back up to snuff this summer-despite naysayers-and prove large outdoor events can be conducted safely.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:26 AM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo10Fan View Post
Nope. Chicago will be fully and safely reopened by July 4. I've been to four Cubs games this season and everything has been smooth as silk. The tickets are reasonable and, as in the past, cheap in the colder days early in the season. The cap is 10,340. I had the pleasure of eating inside a restaurant ahead of yesterday's game and the capacity in eateries will continue to be expanded. We're going to get our tourism economy back up to snuff this summer-despite naysayers-and prove large outdoor events can be conducted safely.
Positivity. So refreshing these days. Love it.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:49 PM
Tony Gordon

As I type this from my office, located about 10 miles west of the location of the National, I am feeling pretty good that the National is going to happen. Illinois has come a long way over the past year or so when a picture of a masked Mayor of Chicago was a meme to stay home. Restaurants and bars are back open. The mayor just started to allow fans at Bulls and Blackhawks games. I'm making plans with friends to go see some White Sox games. We finally have a good supply of vaccine in the area and more and more locations are distributing the vaccine. I go for my second shot on May 15. I am also setting up at a show south of Rosemont on May 23. I think we'll reach Phase 5 before July. If not, we'll certainly reach Phase 5 before October.

I've been to just about every National that has ever been in Chicago and to me, each National has been worth the price of admission. I love seeing the huge amount of cards, memorabilia, along with the current and retired pro athletes. I also enjoy getting to talk to like-minded folks from all over the country.

Though, I think you will have a tough time finding a deal with demand at an all-time high. I've been attending shows since the 1970's and setting up since the 1980's and have never seen this type of money being spent at card shows before. I am making more money selling cards at my monthly show in Milwaukee than I ever have in the past. I don't need to discount anything. I should probably raise my prices.

The National is traditionally my best show as a dealer. With the current card market, this year's National is going to be nuts. Regardless, the National is just special. You will see and experience things that cannot be experienced anywhere else. For example, 10 to 12 years ago, I was standing in front of huge display case at one of the auction houses admiring some trophies and awards belonging to one of my childhood heroes -- Dr. J. I felt someone approach on my left, looked up, and was staring at Dr. J himself -- that was a bit of heaven for me. While money is great, I'm sports fan first and to see, touch, and talk to my sports heroes is better than anything that money can buy. I love the National and can't wait. Should be fun!
Old 05-03-2021, 05:37 PM

The best part of the National is the Net54 dinner. It's the place I can see Leon & tell him what I really think of him
Old 05-04-2021, 09:23 AM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gordon View Post
As I type this from my office, located about 10 miles west of the location of the National, I am feeling pretty good that the National is going to happen. Illinois has come a long way over the past year or so when a picture of a masked Mayor of Chicago was a meme to stay home. Restaurants and bars are back open. The mayor just started to allow fans at Bulls and Blackhawks games. I'm making plans with friends to go see some White Sox games. We finally have a good supply of vaccine in the area and more and more locations are distributing the vaccine. I go for my second shot on May 15. I am also setting up at a show south of Rosemont on May 23. I think we'll reach Phase 5 before July. If not, we'll certainly reach Phase 5 before October.

I've been to just about every National that has ever been in Chicago and to me, each National has been worth the price of admission. I love seeing the huge amount of cards, memorabilia, along with the current and retired pro athletes. I also enjoy getting to talk to like-minded folks from all over the country.

Though, I think you will have a tough time finding a deal with demand at an all-time high. I've been attending shows since the 1970's and setting up since the 1980's and have never seen this type of money being spent at card shows before. I am making more money selling cards at my monthly show in Milwaukee than I ever have in the past. I don't need to discount anything. I should probably raise my prices.

The National is traditionally my best show as a dealer. With the current card market, this year's National is going to be nuts. Regardless, the National is just special. You will see and experience things that cannot be experienced anywhere else. For example, 10 to 12 years ago, I was standing in front of huge display case at one of the auction houses admiring some trophies and awards belonging to one of my childhood heroes -- Dr. J. I felt someone approach on my left, looked up, and was staring at Dr. J himself -- that was a bit of heaven for me. While money is great, I'm sports fan first and to see, touch, and talk to my sports heroes is better than anything that money can buy. I love the National and can't wait. Should be fun!
Great post!