NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Default Trimmed card price values

Posted By: Judge Dred

The following link pretty much confirms that GAI will encapsulate an authentic card that is trimmed. I give them partial credit because they have assigned it as authentic but I also think that they should have documented the fact that the card is (more than likely, obviously, pretty good chance of it) TRIMMED.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=106178&item=5213265895&rd=1
The asking price for this nice looking T205 Johnson is $975 (BIN) or start bidding at $925. What value does this card actually hold in the eyes of REAL collectors?

I like the idea of grading services providing the AUTHENTIC label but I think they need to be more responsible with the desgination. An unknowing person may be led to believe that since the card didn't meet a certain grade that the submitter wanted it labeled as AUTHENTIC so that a lower grade would not detract from a potential buyers interest.

Four questions:

1) What is the relative value of a trimmed card to it's untrimmed counterpart graded at VG-EX?

2) As collectors do you feel that the AUTHENTIC label might be a little misleading (unless the grading service provides details of any evidence of tampering, restoration, etc?

3) Would you purchase such a card (authentic but trimmed)?

4) Would you pay more to have card labeled as authentic and have the grading service list the details of any evidence of tampering, restoration, etc?

I only wish the seller would have listed it as possibly trimmed rather than "narrow".

Old 06-27-2005, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i like it but i think they should label it as trimmed/recolored...etc. i think the seller should use the word trimmed also.but they do mention it is narrow.trimmed would make the seller look better i think to us here. i would rather own a trimmed t or e card in nice shape than a really bad poor. i might be in the minority here.i would also love to own a lot of really poor graded or ungraded cards also.as long as they are real.i would guess the value about the same as good to vg.

Old 06-27-2005, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott

One man's opinion is the value of a trimmed card is 10% of a ExMt example....of course depends on how much trimming took place and how the card looks....much more leniant on scarce issues than say a 33 Goudey.

Old 06-27-2005, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

I would value this card around 20% of book or $800...the seller is not too far off actually...the trim is not horrible and the rest of the card is very nice.

My opinion as a T-205 collector...

Joshua

Old 06-27-2005, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Don J

$900 seems pretty high to me. The last PSA 2 and SGC 30 closed in the $330-$375 range. I'd probably pay about a quarter of that for a trimmed card like the Johnson and only then because it is a highly desirable card.

Old 06-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lyle Jobe

with the last poster . I think that if the value is not sufficiently penalized , intentional altering of some PSA 1's or 2's might occur . I agree though that in the case of highly desirable cards ( eg.T210 Jackson ) , all bets are off .

Old 06-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry

Hello to Network 54 Members...
We wanted to inform all members that as requested, we revised our recent E Bay listing to contain trimmed, "not narrow" although we felt narrow implied the same, since we did not grade the card...We purchased item in a T205 graded lot and this GAI Authentic ruled out any possibility that card was deemed to be a reprint, the fact that it did not have numerical grade was never misrepresented..Many of the members here transact with us and we have many loyal and fantastic customers here...We are proud of our 99.9% positive feedback on high end quality vintage Baseball items...over 2500 transactions

The current value of this card well exceeds what PSA places it in the SMR which is NOT REALISTIC..We would pay well over book for a gradeable T205 Johnson or any HOFer card in ex/mt to nm(6 or 7)..A collector can own this ex/mt appearence card(but trimmed and or miscut) for a fraction of a graded SGC,PSA or GAI 6 or 7...We feel that it is fairly priced but we did adjust price slightly lower to reflect our respect for this network..Thank you

Old 06-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

Wow, out of the blue Larry G (the seller of the subject item - T205 Johnson) emailed me because he saw the post on N54. The item description has been revised with more information. Larry lowered the price and included the word TRIM in the item description.

What a class act!

Old 06-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

To Larry for reading the board and changing the description even when nobody was really harping on the auction. Good guys still are around.

Old 06-28-2005, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Thanks Larry.....that, my friend, is the way to win customers and make friends. Welcome to the board. Hopefully you will stick around and join in some of our reindeer games .......We've probably all bought from you at one time or the other. Keep up the good work !!!! regards ....