NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-17-2012, 05:30 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

If this thread shows one thing it shows that it is the rare grader who was born to grade.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:30 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
David -- magical bumps are not limited to Rick Probstein. Maybe there are some visible examples in his auctions, but they are EVERYWHERE, I assure you. They just might not be juxtaposed so neatly as to make them apparent. Buying, cracking out and resubmitting is prevalent throughout the hobby. I strongly suspect that in many instances, the cards are doctored in between. I used to follow a known card doctor's purchases on ebay. Always, it was centered 5s and 6s.
I know cracking out and resubmitting is commonplace and bumps happen every day. I have no problem with that. However, I do have a problem when those bumps are clearly not deserved (such as the Shell and Ryan) and when it seems to happen quite often to certain individuals.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:31 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

David- are you going to honestly tell me that no other auction venues have consignors that have not "goosed" the bids on their items?? If you honestly believe that, my god man, please buy my 6 acres of mountain property in florida.....
Old 08-17-2012, 05:35 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
once again, proof??????? David, you are talking a big game, but nothing is coming forward.....
Proof of what, Kevin? I showed you proof of the bumps that weren't deserved. Look at the bid history and you'lll see proof of the shills. What more proof are you asking for?

Old 08-17-2012, 05:36 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
David- are you going to honestly tell me that no other auction venues have consignors that have not "goosed" the bids on their items?? If you honestly believe that, my god man, please buy my 6 acres of mountain property in florida.....
I never said that and no, I don't believe it. Grow a set and quit putting words in my mouth.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:44 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

Obviously the shilling is fraudulent and the bumps were clearly not deserved on some of these cards, but I'm surprised more people haven't brought up or questioned the buyer of this 1973 football card. You would think someone who paid $3K+ for a 1970s football card would be serious enough to notice that the same exact card sold for about 1/65th of the price the week before. I mean, the original poster of this thread sure noticed, and found out that it was shilled as well. Are the PSA Registry collectors really this competitive? The same card was worth way more to people when it had a different number on it. This is what I dislike about PSA. In a perfect world, TPG companies would just tell you if the card is real or not, and buyers can judge it on its eye appeal.

Last edited by vintagerookies51; 08-17-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Henry Nich.ols

I have to feel sorry for the consignors, They have lost at least 10% on every item they have consigned with Rick since all of this has come to light. Dont you think he owes it to them for at least some restitution on his commission. I hear he is such a top notch guy. Any other comments on what can be done?
Old 08-17-2012, 05:46 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

David- you know what pal, you are a wannabee. Do you know what that is? Someone that is jealous from someone else kicking them in the ass, and dreaming they could do what they are doing. Maybe if you are lucky, rick will hire you as a receptionist.....On the other hand, I doubt it.

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 08-17-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:51 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
David- you know what pal, you are a wannabee. Do you know what that is? Someone that is jealous from someone else kicking them in the ass, and dreaming they could do what they are doing. Maybe if you are lucky, rick will hire you as a receptionist.....On the other hand, I doubt it.
Yup, you nailed me.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:52 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
yup, you nailed me.
yup??????
Old 08-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 View Post
Are the PSA Registry collectors really this competitive? The same card was worth way more to people when it had a different number on it.
Yup. PSA struck a gold mine when it instituted it.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
You would think someone who paid $3K+ for a 1970s football card would be serious enough to notice that the same exact card sold for about 1/65th of the price the week before
Not at all--not when you're dealing with post-war issues that are available in droves each week. I would bet the buyer sets his search parameters for 1973 football PSA 10 and doesn't bother looking at anything less--certainly not 8s.

This buyer was looking to upgrade his already #1 set on the registry with a rookie HOFer in PSA 10. He is not likely to get caught on his registry GPA so it may be a case of a guy just wanting to have the best set possible based on some quasi-objective standard known as TPG. If you hand-drew Art Shell in magic marker on an empty and untampered case showing a PSA 10 flip, it would sell.

I am not prepared to give anyone a pass on this one, and will watch this seller's auctions more carefully, along with the first buyer/shiller. Seems to me he could not have achieved that turnaround time on grading unless he paid for expedited service or paid the larger on-site grading fee at the National. Kind of risky to basically spend that for a $40 card unless you are damn confident you will get a bump, and I don't see that card as a sure 9, much less a 10. Maybe I crack it out and send it in when there's a grading special so that risk is minimal, but to rush that puppy through at the higher grading fee seems strange to me. BTW, there is no chance that grading at the National is purely blind--they often know who is submitting what and you are beyond naive if you think otherwise, so maybe that played a factor. I won't go off the deep end with accusations, but this surely isn't passing the smell test with me, particularly given the apparently uncontroverted fact that there was shilling.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Bill Cauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
I can't wait to see where the commentary goes on this, it looks worthy of a DATELINE NBC story......... I'm puzzled at the quick turnaround, and two sales ... still confused on those logistics, but I'll go back and re-read, or follow the rest of the posts forthcoming....... read from a distance.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:00 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

[QUOTE=nolemmings;1027239]Not at all--not when you're dealing with post-war issues that are available in droves each week. I would bet the buyer sets his search parameters for 1973 football PSA 10 and doesn't bother looking at anything less--certainly not 8s.

Makes sense. I don't collect 70's or high grade cards but I guess that would make sense for a hardcore registry collector.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:04 PM
David R

There definitely seems to be something amiss here to me, which is troubling. What is equally troubling to me, however, is the level of incivility that has crept into some of the recent threads on here. I like a good spirited debate, but there seems to be a recent increase in mean-spirited posts. :-(
Old 08-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

[QUOTE=vintagerookies51;1027242]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Not at all--not when you're dealing with post-war issues that are available in droves each week. I would bet the buyer sets his search parameters for 1973 football PSA 10 and doesn't bother looking at anything less--certainly not 8s.

Makes sense. I don't collect 70's or high grade cards but I guess that would make sense for a hardcore registry collector.
It would be interesting to know how set registry people behave when they see a card in the grade they want but it is clearly overgraded, or too off center not to rate a qualifier (I have seen innumberable marginally centered PSA 8 low pop commons). I would cynically guess most would buy the card, but I really don't know.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:16 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcauley View Post
don't you people have a life??!

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 08-17-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:19 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Bcauley, you might be the biggest idiot of them all.... By the way, do you have a life??????????
Old 08-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Bill Cauley

Quote:
Bcauley, you might be the biggest idiot of them all.... By the way, do you have a life??????????
Dude, seriously? I started reading the thread and got to that post (which I think was one of the first), saw the thing about Dateline, and figured I'd actually have fun with it.

Really, if you're THAT spun up about this, you should probably take a step back, go turn on the news, and see that there are far more important things going on in the world. Either that, or just lighten up.

Now, back to reading pages 2 through however long this thing is.

Last edited by BCauley; 08-17-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:05 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Default A shilled Shell

I did not know you could shill a Shell, Sam I am.

Seriously, there are two distinct, shady actions going on here. The first is shilling. I believe most folks on here think it is wrong in any case, though a small number believe that it is OK, at least in some circumstances. Fine, we can agree to disagree, though most auction sites disallow this practice because it undermines their creditability.

The second is the significant bumping of a grade by PSA, which underscores the subjectivity (at best) or favoritism to certain submitters (at worst) of the whole grading business. While this may provide short term profits for the sellers, surely the more widespread and known this practice becomes, the less creditability that the graders will retain. If a TPG can bump the same card up two grades and increase it's 'value' (and I use the term lightly) that much, is it really different than a fraudelent autograph authenticator taking a forged Mantle 8x10 (that is worth no more than the cost of the photo, say $5) and authenticating it, thereby increasing it's value 500x? The problem here lies strictly with the TPG, not the folks resubmitting the cards. They are only playing the system as it is set up, much like all of us who take advantage of tax breaks that have been allowed by the gov't.

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 08-17-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Fellas, circumstantial evidence can be "proof." And it's very powerful evidence in court. We don't require CSI-level "proof" to conclude a fraud is afoot. In addition, short of a Perry Mason-type confession on Net 54, circumstantial evidence is usually as good as you'll find in these situations.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Bill Cauley

Well, after scanning through the thread, it looks fishy to me. BUT, that's all I can really pull from it. I figure a card's grade can be different, though hopefully in the same neighborhood, any day of the week. It is after all, human beings doing the grading and we all know that we are not perfect. However, I think it's pretty obvious that there are side deals that go on all the time in many facets of work and life and I wouldn't expect card grading to be immune to this aspect.

This particular situation though just doesn't sit well with me, though that's probably mostly due to my cynical nature.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Kevin I have a question for you, have you ever consigned any items to Probstein123 or any other ebay consignment sellers?
Old 08-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Ronald Goldberg

Poof
Old 08-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Rick Seuferer

The Bauer card listed in post 47 and Gibson card in post 52 are no longer available for sale. It reads Transaction blocked. Interesting!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Christ0pher C@ssidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCauley View Post
+1 for BCauley (that's pretty funny)
Old 08-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Kenny Cole

Default wow

Folks almost universally pan Ken Goldin based on stuff that occurred over a decade ago, when he allegedly screwed others. Maybe I skipped over it, but I don't recall one person saying that they personally got taken. Not saying that the widespread disgust isn't warranted -- I share it -- but I am setting a timeline.

Then I read this thread about a current event. Amazingly (at least to me), some folks volunteer that they are OK with being the victims of fraud so long as they aren't defrauded beyond what they were willing to pay initially. Being the victim of attempted fraud is just fine because they didn't get hit this time. That has to be the craziest sh*t I've heard in a while.

If you paid $600K for a house that you could have gotten for $300K without the mysterious (and non-existent) bidder who cost you the extra cash, is that OK because $600K was your budget? If the answer is yes, then you either have more money than sense or are simply an idiot. The same is true for being shilled on a card. And, shilling hurts people other than the idiots who think its OK, because it makes the cheaters feel enabled. Then they try to do it again, which is detrimental to those of us who actually care about whether or not we've been screwed.

Last edited by Kenny Cole; 08-17-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Jim M.arinari

Not for nothing, but I'd give that Bauer a 9 all day long.....
Old 08-17-2012, 09:40 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
That thread on CU is a great read.
Can someone post a link to the CU thread. I can't find it even after Google searching (however, I've never visited the CU forum before, so I don't know if I'm just in the wrong place).
Old 08-17-2012, 09:46 PM

It was deleted...
Old 08-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collect Equity View Post
Can someone post a link to the CU thread. I can't find it even after Google searching (however, I've never visited the CU forum before, so I don't know if I'm just in the wrong place).
The link is on post #1. But it just went "poof". Must be guilty about something. Game on.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:55 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgators View Post
It was deleted...
That's convenient!

How often does that happen over at the CU board?

Last edited by Collect Equity; 08-17-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Added a question
Old 08-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Paul

The $600/$300K house example is a good one to work with. What if the shill in that example was legitimate, does that mean your house is still worth $600K? It only retains that value if the runner up is still in the market at that price.

To the extent shilling messes up the market price of an asset, then I see a real concern engaging in an auction in that market. I would certainly be reluctant to bid in auctions where I depend on the value of an item not being the result of a potential shill. But I will gladly pay $1,000+ more than the next highest bidder on a signed T206 that I don't already own. In that case, market value is wholly irrelevant to me.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Kenny Cole

What is a "legitimate" shill? Is that like a "legal" fraud? I guess we need to define terms before we discuss further because I'm not getting it. By definition, shilling is fraud. By definition, fraud carries both civil and criminal penalties. Shilling is neither legitimate nor legal. Period.

Insofar as whether you are willing to pay $1,000 more than someone else for a given card, that's wonderful but irrelevant to the discussion. Many people are willing to do that. But what they aren't willing (or shouldn't be willing to do), at least IMO, is pay $1,000 more than a person who has no real intent to purchase the item, but who has bid it up anyway. I guess that's where we diverge.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:32 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
Insofar as whether you are willing to pay $1,000 more than someone else for a given card, that's wonderful but irrelevant to the discussion. Many people are willing to do that. But what they aren't willing (or shouldn't be willing to do), at least IMO, is pay $1,000 more than a person who has no real intent to purchase the item, but who has bid it up anyway. I guess that's where we diverge.
+1
Old 08-17-2012, 10:41 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
What is a "legitimate" shill? Is that like a "legal" fraud? I guess we need to define terms before we discuss further because I'm not getting it. By definition, shilling is fraud. By definition, fraud carries both civil and criminal penalties. Shilling is neither legitimate nor legal. Period.

+2
Old 08-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
There definitely seems to be something amiss here to me, which is troubling. What is equally troubling to me, however, is the level of incivility that has crept into some of the recent threads on here. I like a good spirited debate, but there seems to be a recent increase in mean-spirited posts. :-(
+1000000

I have been wondering the same thing. I am officially calling for a one day cease-fire so all pantiesinawad thread participants can go get laid. That usually calms me down and resets my outlook immensely.

Last edited by Deertick; 08-17-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
I did not know you could shill a Shell, Sam I am.
Not bad! How about:

"Sally sells shilled Shells by the seashore."

Now say that three times!
Old 08-18-2012, 12:48 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Folks almost universally pan Ken Goldin based on stuff that occurred over a decade ago, when he allegedly screwed others. Maybe I skipped over it, but I don't recall one person saying that they personally got taken. Not saying that the widespread disgust isn't warranted -- I share it -- but I am setting a timeline.

Then I read this thread about a current event. Amazingly (at least to me), some folks volunteer that they are OK with being the victims of fraud so long as they aren't defrauded beyond what they were willing to pay initially. Being the victim of attempted fraud is just fine because they didn't get hit this time. That has to be the craziest sh*t I've heard in a while.

If you paid $600K for a house that you could have gotten for $300K without the mysterious (and non-existent) bidder who cost you the extra cash, is that OK because $600K was your budget? If the answer is yes, then you either have more money than sense or are simply an idiot. The same is true for being shilled on a card. And, shilling hurts people other than the idiots who think its OK, because it makes the cheaters feel enabled. Then they try to do it again, which is detrimental to those of us who actually care about whether or not we've been screwed.
Difficult to prevent fraud when people don't have a problem being defrauded.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:41 AM
Paul

Please re-read my last post with the understanding that I meant a "legitimate" bid to be the opposite of a "shill" bid.

I think where we diverge is that so many people on here think that if we don't worry much about shilling we must like being taken advantage of, or that we like spending more money for things. These are not mutually exclusive. I hate mosquitos, but I will go outside anyway. If posting on the internet about how much you hate mosquitos makes you feel better, go right ahead. I'd prefer to enjoy the great outdoors, smacking the occasional mosquito, but not worrying about when the next one will come.

Call me an idiot all you want, but the fact of the matter is that plenty of intelligent people on here don't care much about this issue. This really seems to annoy a certain crowd on here -- but if that crowd is only seeing this in black and white, we will never truly join on this issue to discuss it. And you may never understand if there is a key to ridding the world of shilling once and for all. Might it not help your crusade to truly understand why many people don't mind being defrauded in this context?

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 08-18-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:46 AM

/

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Shall I Shill My Shell Today

Shall I Shill my Shell today?
Is the question of the day.

What would somebody pay?
With the corners cropped away.

Yeah, I’d like to make a buck
But with my incredible luck

I wouldn’t get a 10
And have to submit again.

With whom should I consign?
Perhaps a friend of mine.

What chance of being caught?
I figure close to naught

Is there a jail for shillers?
Does it have bars or pillars?

What games do shillers play?
To pass the time away.

Do they shill each other?
or do they shill their mother?

And what’s a shiller’s savior?
Release for good behavior.

Shall I shill my Shell today?
It’s my will - I’ll find a way

What would somebody pay?
One or two or perhaps 3K.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 05-05-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Peter Spaeth

Is the use of a hidden reserve fraudulent/criminal?
Old 08-18-2012, 08:09 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
On eBay, aren't all reserves hidden until they're met or unless the seller is willing to divulge that information?

Or am I missing something?
Old 08-18-2012, 08:20 AM

Wow that's messed up.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
If I answer this question will it be deemed that I am not enjoying the hobby?
Old 08-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Bill Cauley

Quote:
On eBay, aren't all reserves hidden until they're met or unless the seller is willing to divulge that information?
Correct
Old 08-18-2012, 08:26 AM
Dan Marke1

Another problem with this shill issue "as a hidden reserve" argument is that it is cheating Ebay out of the fees paid for a legitimate reserve.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
If I answer this question will it be deemed that I am not enjoying the hobby?
maybe
Old 08-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Or am I missing something?
Right, I was thinking more of a situation where the FACT of a reserve is hidden in addition to the amount.