NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-05-2010, 08:48 AM
John

Default It's scanner time!

Time to buy a new scanner. In an old thread the Canoscan 8800F got some good reviews. Has anyone tried the new 9000F?
Old 12-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Jeff Weisenberg

Default great scanner

I use the Epson Perfection V300. It is a low cost exceptional quality scaneer and scans at a very quick speed on 150-300 dpi images.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:52 PM
JeR@Me

Default 8800f

John,

Don't know about the new one, but I bought the 8800F after reading the very thread you are referring to, and a year later, it is a fabulous scanner. I have no complaints other than maybe a little too many bells and whistles, but after awhile of tinkering with it, I realize it is a powerhouse scanner.

FYI

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 12-05-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Steven Sadler

I have the 8800f and think it is great. I haven't touched any of the settings and my scans come out great. Check out my site on my signature below, I have scanned every card on there with the 8800f.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:41 AM
John

Default 9000f

We set up our new Canon 9000F. Here are some sample scans. One set on color documents and the other set on color photos. Both are far better than our old Canon 650!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mathewson T205 Color Doc.jpg (76.9 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg Mathewson T205 Color Photo.jpg (76.2 KB, 177 views)
Old 12-12-2010, 10:46 AM
JeR@Me

Default Question

John - Which scan is the color photo and which is the color doc ? (The first scan is better, more vibrant so I am assuming this is the color photo, but want to ask you to be sure)

Thanks - JJ
Old 12-12-2010, 11:33 AM
John

I found the first to be more colorful also. Surprisingly, that's the document setting. After spotting the difference, I held the card up to my monitor and found the photo setting to be pretty much on target.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:01 PM

The key feature is that the scanner technology needs to be CCD, not CIS. The CIS is only good for flat images -- ie that sit flush with the screen, while a CCD scanner head has a longer depth of focus that will accomodate some element of 3D images -- such as cards within holders that sit slightly raised off the glass.

Personally, I didn't have the desk space to accomodate a seperate scanner unit. I already had a personal laser printer as well as a color inkjet all-in-one, which I mostly used for copying, faxing, and the occasional scanning or color printing. The AIO though had a CIS sensor and therefore scanned holdered cards very blurrily (cause of the short focal depth). So when I realized that I needed to improve my scanner in order to scan holdered cards, I struggled to find a machine that could fit all those needs. For the most part, AIOs of the inkjet variety, are all CIS sensors. I think there was either a high-end Canon or Epson unit that had a CCD sensor, but had no fax nor advanced paper-handling capability (eg duplex scanning or printing) and was really intended as a photo printer. After searching extensively I ended up with the HP CM2320 -- it's a color laserjet all-in-one with a CCD scanner head, and has been working very well for me. Another alternative is the Brother MFC-9840 -- I actually purchased them both, set them up side-by-side, and used them both for a week. I found the Brother's construction to be rather shoddy (which I find typical of Brother devices) and print quality was far far inferior to the HPs -- although it did have the benefit of true automatic duplex scanning of documents (the HP can copy both sides of a two-sided document automatically, but it can't scan it similarly) and the scan quality between the two was similar.

Hope this helps.
--S
Old 12-13-2010, 07:02 AM
Marc

Very good information Shaun. I wish the sales poeple at the Apple Store knew this a few weeks ago as I asked that specific question and told them what I needed. No one knew enough ablout the printers to answer. I think I got the right type of scanner head out of luck but I'll have to check on that.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:38 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunsteig View Post
The key feature is that the scanner technology needs to be CCD, not CIS. The CIS is only good for flat images -- ie that sit flush with the screen, while a CCD scanner head has a longer depth of focus that will accomodate some element of 3D images -- such as cards within holders that sit slightly raised off the glass.

Personally, I didn't have the desk space to accomodate a seperate scanner unit. I already had a personal laser printer as well as a color inkjet all-in-one, which I mostly used for copying, faxing, and the occasional scanning or color printing. The AIO though had a CIS sensor and therefore scanned holdered cards very blurrily (cause of the short focal depth). So when I realized that I needed to improve my scanner in order to scan holdered cards, I struggled to find a machine that could fit all those needs. For the most part, AIOs of the inkjet variety, are all CIS sensors. I think there was either a high-end Canon or Epson unit that had a CCD sensor, but had no fax nor advanced paper-handling capability (eg duplex scanning or printing) and was really intended as a photo printer. After searching extensively I ended up with the HP CM2320 -- it's a color laserjet all-in-one with a CCD scanner head, and has been working very well for me. Another alternative is the Brother MFC-9840 -- I actually purchased them both, set them up side-by-side, and used them both for a week. I found the Brother's construction to be rather shoddy (which I find typical of Brother devices) and print quality was far far inferior to the HPs -- although it did have the benefit of true automatic duplex scanning of documents (the HP can copy both sides of a two-sided document automatically, but it can't scan it similarly) and the scan quality between the two was similar.

Hope this helps.
--S
Shaun - I did a ton of research on this about 2 years ago and found the HP L7780 is an AIO with a CCD, which is what I use.

Last edited by Matt; 12-13-2010 at 07:48 AM.