NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2011, 10:14 PM

Default First Card Show in 15 Years-Observations and Questions

O.K...I went to the show in N.E. Ohio (Strongsville) last week after a long hiatus from card collecting. I spent most of my time just looking around at the different offerings available. It was interesting to me that a great deal of what was available was not professionally graded. My expectation was to see a lot of graded material and little else. Card grading was just coming into vogue when I gave up collecting and I really didn't like the idea. Seems to make collecting sort of sterile in the way that I have always perceived stamp and coin collecting. I can see some advantages to the grading also, such as being sure of authenticity and lack of alterations. I can see that grading is widely accepted and here to stay. I need to learn to function in and understand this area.
I spent some time at the Beckett Grading Services table and got a good overview of how it works, the costs and risks involved, and what type of items it may be worth to have graded. One of the offerings at the show was to have three cards graded for $10 but not slabbed. These are delivered in card holders that are sealed(?) by a sticker across the top with the grading information. Is it conceivable to sell/auction cards graded in this manner v/s slabbed cards? Is it possible to auction raw cards on Ebay and not be taken advantage of as the seller? Or as far as Ebay, are slabbed cards the only real way to go?
I'm still not sure where my collection is going to go at this point. I got out all the old stuff that I haven't seen in 15 years and have many items I would not want to part with. I can also see some nice items that I should probably sell off as the collection is large and seems to go in a million different directions. I know I am rambling here but I am trying to put together a good strategy for future collecting and also safely selling.
If any one can make any sense out of this ramble, any suggestions or bits of information are very welcome. The whole thing seems quite overwhelming at this juncture. Thanks!