NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-08-2003, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Default Differences in grading companies ?

Posted By: sweetguy28

I am new to the forum and was just wanting some opinions on some things. I understand there are some major differences in grading companies but look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2740019462&category=31718

That one is a Gem 10 from 1910 ?? Seems odd ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31721&item=2739744909

That one is a 5 but its cut off ??

What do you guys think of the different companies like PRO ??

Old 07-08-2003, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

Welcome to the forum. Once you've had a chance to read through several threads on this board (and the CU board too), I think you'll find:

1. PRO grading has the uncanny effect of making collectors both break out in chills and have their blood boil. Their stuff is at best overgraded, and at worst/usually altered, trimmed, etc. AVOID.

2. Any high dollar item that is run by private auction is suspect-- proceed with extreme caution. If a PRO card is sold by private auction, then refer to preceding admonition.

3. Any seller with any significant knowledge of the hobby knows that his PRO card, if genuine and unaltered, would fetch several times more if it resided in an SGC or PSA holder (perhaps others too, depending on the card and grading company). To not spend the extra $15 or so to have it re-graded with these companies shows the seller's own lack of confidence in the card's true condition.

4. SGC and PSA (not necessarily in that order) are preferred by the folks here. Other companies have their supporters, but PRO is roundly greeted with two thumbs down.

5. AAA, or whatever name Libertyforall and his ilk are self-grading under, make PRO look good (at least PRO almost always actually grades real cards).

Old 07-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

The 2nd 1 is a complete joke! It is a mutilated card and is poor by any standard. The 1st 1 is trimmed blatently and is bad. Stick to SGC, GAI, PSA. You will be better off though far from in the clear always!!!!

Old 07-08-2003, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I was at a small area show this last weekend and went by a table with some AAA crap. The guy behind the table had about as many teeth as I could count on one hand....although, I am not quite sure what was going on with the bottom ones, it didn't look good, and I didn't look too hard. But teeth aside he still looked like he was probably pulling his home behind him (not that there's anything wrong with that). I proceeded to say how I thought AAA was an up and coming company and wanted his opinion. He agreed quickly. He had $60 on each of his AAA crap but quickly told me he would take $30ea for them. It was mine and Scott B's opinion that this guy probably really didn't have a clue.....which, unfortunately for the hobby is probably all too common with this NASA - AAA shiite.....regards all......(just thought it interesting what a seller of these would say in person...answer...."not much")

Old 07-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Todd and Dan's collective advice is right on. PRO and AAA are frauds. Never bid in private auctions (where the bidders identities are hidden). PSA, SGC are most popular. Beckett and GAI are largely compentant (certainly when compared to PRO or AAA).

My best advice is to find good (honest, experienced, knowledgeable, reliable) sellers. A top notch seller is worth gold.

Old 07-08-2003, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: sweetguy28

What about this auction ? This is yet another grading company thats seems fishy ? I am losing faith in grading unless its PSA or SCD I guess ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2740208076&category=23836&rd=1

Old 07-08-2003, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Robbins

The question you should ask yourself is as follows:

Why would a guy that has such a great card send it off to be graded by some sub-par company? I don't know about you, but I would go with sgc or psa if I had a card like that...I would think it paramount to go with the best when I have a card like that. If it doesn't make sense then it probably doesn't. If it is too good to be true then it probably is.