NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-31-2006, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Default Which sets do you think are ready to take-off price-wise?

Posted By: Bob

I had thought the T207 set might finally be ready to really take off but too many collectors are turned off by the fact there is a small % of HOFers in the set plus it lacks Cobb, Wagner and Matty for some bizarre reason. That coupled with the dark and moody almost surreal looking fronts and the huge number of tough and scarce cards seems to not be balanced by the fact so many fringe players appear for the first (and only) time.
I think the M116 set is ready to take off, it's time. I also think the Tattoo Orbit set is ready to make a marked increase.
Zeenuts, especially the early years really took off in 2006 as did the team and individual postcards (now that they are being graded).
Any thoughts on what may be hot in the future?

Old 12-31-2006, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

Anything that I start to collect. Seriously though I see continuing strength in Zeenut issues, especially 1911, 1912 and 1918. C46 may be a sleeper. I completed the set many years ago and sold it for a pittance. Still like it and have given some thought to starting over. I see renewed interest in the set.

I personally like "brown". 1911 and 1912 Zeenuts; C46 and T207 and don't consider them dark and moody.

Finally, I think d310 and d311 Pacific Coast Biscuits will experience a price rise in 2007. There is a lot of competition for these issues.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

A year ago I would have said the M116 would take off, but I think they did a fair amouont of catching up already over the last year although I agree there is still some upside.

This may sound strange but I think the E107s will go to a whole new level in the next year or two. I would suspect that a price run will bring some more out to the market. I also think the Mayos are due for a run up.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see some increased respect for the Black and White issues from 1916/1917 (m101-4/5, Collins McCarthy, Boston Store, Weil Baking, etc.).

Old 12-31-2006, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

E121. Cheap, abundant and overlooked. Like M101s five years ago.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

I think the oldcardboard with the biggest upside will be nonsports issues.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

T201's... they're gonna skyrocket

Old 01-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

and would bank on anything that the grading companies begin to accept admissions for the first time on...instant market!

I would think that the prices may start up on some of the 30s/40s issues again soon.

...and any set that Topps decides to include in its chase card subsets...

Old 01-01-2007, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

All of the Louisiana issues.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Preece1

I think Four Base Hits and Kalamazoo Bats, they have been too low in price for over a decade.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

KB's and 4BH a bargain? I must have walked right past them at the bargain bins at Wal-Mart Happy New Year to all!

Old 01-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

If thinking about the next few years, and not literally just 2007, then I think the answer is ... T206's. When you're done laughing, read on.

I think there is still more price pressure to come on the middle grades, caused by registry competition at higher grades. Granted, this should bottom out somewhere around the 5's and 6's, maybe 4's, because collectors at this level won't be competitive in the registry with the 7/8/9 guys anyways, so they won't compete as fiercely with each other.

But I still think the middle grades have room to increase in price as non-registry collectors that just like nice cards drop out of the fray and settle for similar looking mid-grade cards at less competition-driven prices.

On top of that add the 100th anniversary of the set coming up in 1909. If the media machine gets ahold of that - probably in late 08 - look out. There will be tons of new people that want a T206 or two just to see, or look at - if not collect. There may also be new collectors and investors.

When they arrive on the scene, they will almost surely go for the cards in Grades 3 - 5. I can't imagine they'll want beaters - if it's a curiosity or nostalgic exercise. But they'll faint when they see the high-end prices, and happily grab great looking cards at reasonable prices (even if maybe more than they thought it would cost).

So ... T206's in mid-grades. IMO.

Joann

Old 01-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Joann,

The following rule of thumb works well. Just do the opposite I'm doing. I will be buying Goudey's from the ')30s for the next couple of years. That means that during this time the Goudey's will be getting more and more expensive and I will be buying at their high point. So if you guys and gals are smart you will be selling at the high point because I will be buying at the high point.

When W.C. Fields said there's a sucker born everyday, he was referring to me.

Peter

Old 01-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

joann- i have to disagree that the set reg people are not that competitve in the 4,5,6 range...take a look at many of the top 20 people (even top 10...even top 5)...many of them focus of 6's...4's & 5's...etc...many are in that range...

what i do agree with you on, is that T206's will skyrocket even more over the next few years, especially with the 100th anniv. approaching.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

I agree with Dr. D.

Non-sports is beginning to go upwards.

As for baseball issues, we've been saying m116 and c46 for a few years and I think they have gone up a bit.

T212s (except 09s) are underrated in my opinion.
T213-1 and T216 are way undervalued.

Can't imagine t206 going up anymore. There's an unlimited supply of them. But perhaps more collectors are moving from shiny crap to the good stuff?

Rob

Old 01-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Mike,

I'm sure you're right about the whole registry thing. I'm trying to figure out how far down the condition chain the registry competition can affect prices if I assume that it won't generate higher prices in the 1's and 2's. I think that people have strong condition preferences between the mid and lower grades, and just wouldn't drive prices of 1's and 2's. They'd either collect something else or buy fewer mid-grade cards instead of moving down to the lower grades.

So somehow I'm thinking that registry-driven competition will stall out somewhere, and am trying to figure out how that combination of condition/price might dovetail with a surge of new and relatively uninformed collectors.

So maybe the increases will be in the 3 and 4 ranges.

Joann

Old 01-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Administrator

I think 5's and 6's will become viable registry grades. REA had a T206 set that averaged a little better than 5 and it sold for 250K. That certainly shows respect for the grade. And imagine putting any set together in PSA-6, say a 25 card or 30 card caramel set. That would be quite an accomplishment and would attract a ton of interest in an auction. I think registry sets in the 7-8 range are already out of reach of most collectors, so there will be a trickle down effect. Probably not in 1-3 range, but certainly in middle grades. Not that the whole registry thing excites me, I just call it as I see it.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

barry- i am good friends with the gentleman who purchased the REA T206 set last year for 250K...even though the set's GPA was a little over "5"...it actually had over 100 "7's" and many 6's...he merged it with the set that he already had and added many more 7's to the set...he is now sitting in the top 5 on the set reg...

joann- good questions, who really knows the answers though, i know many collectors who collects 8's...as well as collectors who collect only 4's...some, only 6's...it is all over the map...

Old 01-03-2007, 04:27 AM
Administrator

Michael- I never did a breakdown of that set, but if it had over 100 7's that better explains why it sold for over 250K.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

D - cards

Old 01-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shane

I have always chased after the cards that no one was heavily collecting and those cards that were difficult to obtain. I began collecting the 1934 Batter up set in 2002 with a grade higher than a PSA 5. I felt that this set was underpriced compare to those sets in that same era. After completing the set in 2004, the prices began to triple for those in PSA 7/8. I realize that this set has very little eye appeal, but the condition for this set was brutal and high numbers were scarce.
I am now collecting the 1947 Tip Top Bread set which is filled with a bunch of no names, but these things are pretty hard to find especially in high grade - PSA 5 and higher. Not many of these are around and I think this has big potential.

Shane

Old 01-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

I too think some of the moderately rare tobacco sets like 212,213,216 could see an increase in value. Actually i think that goes for all of the D,E,T cards that are somewhat tough but still rarer than their price dictates. T206 will probably increase in value at a steady rate, like it has, i dont see some big jump just cause 2009 approaches.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

T207s.

Years ago there were 20 T206s out there for every T207. T207s aren't as popular. But they will take off.

When Mr. Lipset published, T208 Firesides were $150. I wish I'd bought 2 then. They took off. If I had 2 now, I'd sell one and buy a bunch of T207s with the proceeds.

T207s.

Frank.