NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-13-2023, 11:00 PM
edward

Default Ugliest Cut-Autograph Card

I was browsing eBay and found what I believe is the worst looking cut autograph card I've ever seen. It's a 2012 TriStar Signa Cuts Blue with Felix Hernandez and Cliff Lee.

s-l1600 (3).jpg
Old 01-14-2023, 05:00 AM
Jeff Carlson

Junk like this is the bane of player collections. It is basically an elementary school craft project what with all that purple glitter.

Last edited by carlsonjok; 01-14-2023 at 05:01 AM. Reason: a / an
Old 01-14-2023, 02:49 PM
Curt

There are SOOOO many terrible cut cards that have been made, but Signa Cuts is a leader in that game for sure. In some cases you have to take what you can get, I guess. I bashed a Pee Wee Reese once, on facebook I believe, and the response what not what I expected. Lots of people saying they'd give anything to own it and questioning why I thought it was so bad. It was ugly and terrible, especially considering Reese autographs weren't that tough to find at a very reasonable price and still aren't.

This isn't the one, but I came upon another recently and saved the image. I think it might have been from the same exact set, because I recall the other being 1 of 8 too. Partially clipped, tape over it and no image of Reese on the cards are 3 strikes for me. Low number and coming from a revered set are the only redeeming qualities in this case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reese Ugly SP Cut.jpg (190.5 KB, 457 views)
Old 01-15-2023, 05:33 PM
edward

Yeah, they used to put tape over autographs to try to preserve the autograph which we now know is a terrible idea. The one I showed is especially bad considering the clashing colors of the sticker and the card above it, not to mention the unreadable autographs. SP Legendary Cuts usually does a better job than that though, it's especially egregious that the bottom of the autograph is cut off.

Last edited by etsmith; 01-15-2023 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2023, 07:35 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

What's the point of this ugliness?

Isn't it infinitely better to leave the originally autographed card, cut, photo, album page or index card in tact? This is just nonsense.

Last edited by perezfan; 01-15-2023 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:04 PM
edward

I prefer the item intact and I rarely buy these kind of cards, but some of them do a much better job than others. I don't really mind cuts being put in the cards because it provides some protection to the cut autograph and often improves its appearance. But cutting certain things up to put them in cards is ridiculous, look at this one of Barack Obama.

B O.jpg
Old 01-15-2023, 10:21 PM
James M.

I don't mind a cut autograph card, when It's cut from, lets say, a piece of paper or a scrap book. When they do it from a letter, or a photograph, I feel like it just ruins an historical item. Some of these cards above are abominations.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:27 PM
edward

I agree, letters and vintage photographs should never be cut up. There's a cut autograph card on eBay of Ernie Lombardi with two signatures above his still visible on the card, but it looks like somebody tried to erase them ruining both autographs. One of the ruined autographs is of Harlin Pool.
Old 01-16-2023, 05:41 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsmith View Post
I agree, letters and vintage photographs should never be cut up. There's a cut autograph card on eBay of Ernie Lombardi with two signatures above his still visible on the card, but it looks like somebody tried to erase them ruining both autographs. One of the ruined autographs is of Harlin Pool.
Ditto on that.

I've observed dozens of ugly cut autographs from Topps.

This is a sin.

RooseveltCut.jpg
Old 01-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Curt

I have to admit I don't hate the FDR. The 55 Bowman inspired design if kind of neat. The signature is framed nicely. I assume your concern is with the desecration of the original document, which I would agree with.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:10 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Here's one that goes way beyond "ugly". A fake (secretarial) Babe Ruth Topps Card sells for $17,600. Cannot believe someone was hoodwinked by this monstrosity.

Video is linked below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot7uA3EMC5o
Old 01-20-2023, 11:32 PM
edward

I'm not at all surprised by a secretarial getting past the card companies, they don't seem to do their due diligence at all. I was watching a case break on YouTube and the guy pulled a Jo Adell autographed printing plate but the autograph, which was on a sticker, was of Rod Carew not Jo Adell.
Old 01-21-2023, 10:47 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

206. Autosnafu
The unfortunate way card companies cut noteworthy signatures out of full pictures or documents to scrunch them into the tiny window of a chase card.

See also: Bullfit! (informal) - an autograph that is partially cut off or obscured in one of these contrivances.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:21 AM

They're all ugly; some simply more hideous than others.

I'd prefer that all the signatures were in their original, unmolested state.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:03 PM
edward

But you also have to remember that cutting signatures off of documents is as old as autographs themselves. Some of these cuts being put in cards may have been cut off the original documents decades ago. The Waterman autograph contest albums made this more common I believe.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:11 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Topps 1/1 "ore Williams"
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 02-18-2024 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:15 PM
qualitycards

John damn! That Ted Williams has half his name missing & SGC gives it a "9"?
Old 02-18-2024, 04:30 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
John damn! That Ted Williams has half his name missing & SGC gives it a "9"?
SGC is only grading the card.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:05 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

I've been desperately searching for the photo, but coming up empty. About 3 months ago on eBay there was an Ernie Lombardi cut auto where they cut up an original Diamond Stars card, and jammed the signature into a box that didn't hold it. It may not have been as ugly as some of the cards posted here, but I give it major bonus points for the destruction of a beautiful card that Topps felt was necessary to make their cut. Turned a $500 signature into a $75 signature in the process.
Old 02-19-2024, 01:34 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
I've been desperately searching for the photo, but coming up empty. About 3 months ago on eBay there was an Ernie Lombardi cut auto where they cut up an original Diamond Stars card, and jammed the signature into a box that didn't hold it. It may not have been as ugly as some of the cards posted here, but I give it major bonus points for the destruction of a beautiful card that Topps felt was necessary to make their cut. Turned a $500 signature into a $75 signature in the process.

2009 SP Legendary Cuts - Legendary Cuts #LC-51 - Ernie Lombardi /5
Courtesy of COMC.com
Old 02-19-2024, 03:46 PM

I remember one of the silliest I first encounterred. One time many years ago, I was at Upper Deck's offices, authenticating their most recent autograph acquisitions for their early cut card projects.

One dealer had a twice-signed Rizzuto gold plaque. He actually took scissors and cut the one signature from the top of the plaque. He cut along the curved line between the gold border and the photo of the plaque, leaving a ridiculously concave sliver cut, and sold UD the two separately. UD didn't care; both ended up in insert cards. Nobody I saw or dealt with there had any hobby experience or appreciation whatsoever; it was just a job to them.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 02-19-2024 at 03:52 PM.