NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-25-2023, 03:55 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Default $117K SGC 8.5 DiMaggio WWG trimmed heavily, previously an SGC 6

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=7884

In case one of you big spenders purchased this card, see if you can get a refund. Anothe point for the BODA.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:57 PM
Erich W

wow great investigative work there

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2023, 04:06 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolterse View Post
wow great investigative work there

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Agreed Great work and also great how you made that image work one over the other

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 02-25-2023, 05:02 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Agreed Great work and also great how you made that image work one over the other
I am not the OP from the blowout thread; my handle over there is mjohnatgt. However, the BODA (Blowout Detective Agency) guys have done a tremendous job outting fraud over the past 5 years. If you haven't seen that type of overlay before, you should go over to blowout and read about 50 threads.

Here are some of the top ones:
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1298835
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1289859
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1297767

Wonder if the FBI is still doing any leg work? Most of their discovery has already been accomplished by volunteers.
Old 02-25-2023, 05:10 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Props to BODA, doing the Lords work for half a decade, keep it up guys.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 02-25-2023, 05:16 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

This hobby’s fraud and greed never stops amazing me. I wonder how many high grade, rare cards are legitimate? I suspect the number is shockingly low. This is the reason I’m a low to collector-grade guy.
Old 02-25-2023, 05:23 PM
Fred

This is why TPGs should use a minimum size requirement for cards with RAZOR sharp corners.

If the card doesn't meet the minimum size requirement and it has RAZOR sharp corners, then have a QUALIFIER that indicates it doesn't meet the minimum size requirement but has been graded as if it were. That would put the thought in everyone's mind that it could be trimmed (which it probably is). Think about it.

When you look at the number of cards out there and find that a large number of high grade cards doesn't meet the minimum size requirement, then people may start asking why most cards with lower grades meet the size requirement but higher graded cards do not. I mean really? Are we this stupid?
Old 02-25-2023, 05:26 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
This is why TPGs should use a minimum size requirement for cards with RAZOR sharp corners.

If the card doesn't meet the minimum size requirement and it has RAZOR sharp corners, then have a QUALIFIER that indicates it doesn't meet the minimum size requirement but has been graded as if it were. That would put the thought in everyone's mind that it could be trimmed (which it probably is). Think about it.

When you look at the number of cards out there and find that a large number of high grade cards doesn't meet the minimum size requirement, then people may start asking why most cards with lower grades meet the size requirement but higher graded cards do not. I mean really? Are we this stupid?
When it comes to most humans on this planet, the answer to your very last question is a resounding YES!
Old 02-25-2023, 05:53 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:

They reject cards and send them back unslabbed with a label that says MINSZ or similar, I forget the exact phrase. They seem to ignore this suspiciously often to keep slabbing very small cards. Strange!

People are sadly this stupid. Strangely thin high grade cards continue to outsell by huge margins unaltered cards that are of normal size. What the slab says overcomes actual reality in the market. Reality is annoying, the card in the 9 slab lets you flex on the poor with the same card in a 6 slab. Being altered is irrelevant.
Old 02-25-2023, 06:26 PM
Doug Goodman

At this point in the age of opinion sellers I actually enjoy seeing a trimmed card go for 6 figures.

Anybody who likes cards enough to pay THREE figures for a card should be able to tell the difference between trimmed and not trimmed, when it's to those degrees. Obviously it's harder to tell until they get the card in hand, but as soon as they do...

Nobody who buys a trimmed card has any excuse.

The person who bought the DiMaggio in 2021 knew exactly what he got moments after he received it.

Nice looking slab, though.

Doug "I wish I could get trimmed to an 8.5" Goodman
Old 02-25-2023, 06:30 PM
Johnny MaZilli

For the most part, investors don’t care what may have been done to a card as long as it’s in a PSA Slab with a number grade it’s gold. This is the bottom line of where we are at in 2023.
Old 02-25-2023, 06:35 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
For the most part, investors don’t care what may have been done to a card as long as it’s in a PSA Slab with a number grade it’s gold. This is the bottom line of where we are at in 2023.
I don't think that's true. I think they don't know. They assume the TPGs are making sure the cards are not altered.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2023, 06:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

WIth a card like this in that high a grade holder, there really should be a presumption that it's been altered, IMO, even if it may be hard to tell given the expertise of the work.\

BTW I wonder if Dave Forman graded this one personally. I'll leave it at that.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-25-2023 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-25-2023, 06:40 PM
Fred

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
I don't think that's true. I think they don't know. They assume the TPGs are making sure the cards are not altered.

Bbwaa....and that isn't supposed to mean BB writers association of America...

Bbwaa... I guess that's the point, they're trusting the TPGs. Trust'em? Bbwaa...

Bbwaa...
Old 02-25-2023, 06:41 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
100 percent Johnny. Many of these “collectors” have bowed down to the almighty grading card companies. As long as the card is in a holder and is high grade, they don’t care what was done to it.

Last edited by parkplace33; 02-25-2023 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-25-2023, 06:42 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
WIth a card like this in that high a grade holder, there really should be a presumption that it's been altered, IMO, even if it may be hard to tell given the expertise of the work.
Amazing that it got graded. But it sure looks great in that tux!

Old 02-25-2023, 06:45 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Bbwaa....and that isn't supposed to mean BB writers association of America...

Bbwaa... I guess that's the point, they're trusting the TPGs. Trust'em? Bbwaa...

Bbwaa...
Yep, exactly.

Old 02-25-2023, 06:46 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

This is why TPGs should use a minimum size requirement for cards with RAZOR sharp corners. admit they have no idea how to perform the one service they are expected to.
Old 02-25-2023, 06:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
This is why TPGs should use a minimum size requirement for cards with RAZOR sharp corners. admit they have no idea how to perform the one service they are expected to.
You are assuming it wasn't done knowingly.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:02 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:

Very possible but my point is they don't want to know or care to know. It's in a holder end of the discussion for the investor it's good to go.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:11 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
A $100,000 card has to be reviewed by the head grader, I would think. It's hard to believe that SGC blew that review because of incompetence.

Old 02-25-2023, 07:14 PM
Fred

Quote:
Sad but true commentary. As long as someone can flip the card for a profit and not have to be held responsible for the actual condition/state of the card because people blindly rely on TPGs that fall back on "subjectivity" (or worse).

Back in the day the biggest concern about slabbed cards was that someone would exchange/swap a card in the holder (WIWAG was one of the first) and defraud people to make their money. Today, TPGs grade on a much larger scale and do it less accurately which results in a lot of people that are not getting what they paid for. What boggles the mind is that we're not talking hundreds of dollars but 10s of thousands of dollars (and more).
Old 02-25-2023, 07:18 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Sad but true commentary. As long as someone can flip the card for a profit and not have to be held responsible for the actual condition/state of the card because people blindly rely on TPGs that fall back on "subjectivity" (or worse).

Back in the day the biggest concern about slabbed cards was that someone would exchange/swap a card in the holder (WIWAG was one of the first) and defraud people to make their money. Today, TPGs grade on a much larger scale and do it less accurately which results in a lot of people that are not getting what they paid for. What boggles the mind is that we're not talking hundreds of dollars but 10s of thousands of dollars (and more).
PSA Wouldnt have graded this it's so narrow a blind bat could tell it's trimmed. SGC to me losses credibility with this one...sad hope they tighten up.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:20 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
PSA Wouldnt have graded this it's so narrow a blind bat could tell it's trimmed.
I know you've been paying attention. Not sure why you'd trust them either.

Remember, they knew Gary was passing trimmed cards through them 20 years ago, and did nothing to stop it. And many of the cards outed over the last five years have been laughable, even from PSA.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:24 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I know you've been paying attention. Not sure why you'd trust them either.

Remember, they knew Gary was passing trimmed cards through them 20 years ago, and did nothing to stop it. And many of the cards outed over the last five years have been laughable, even from PSA.
I have but PSA They're not even this bad....
Old 02-25-2023, 07:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
PSA Wouldnt have graded this it's so narrow a blind bat could tell it's trimmed. SGC to me losses credibility with this one...sad hope they tighten up.
It looks narrow compared to the very wide SGC 80. Not so sure it looks that narrow compared to the average card in this issue. I am guessing if someone had just posted the 8.5 by itself, you wouldn't be making that blind bat comment.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-25-2023 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:30 PM
Ben North

Quote:
It is about a 50/50 shot on being complete incompetence depending on who the submitter is.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:34 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
It looks narrow compared to the very wide SGC 80. Not so sure it looks that narrow compared to the average card in this issue. I am guessing if someone had just posted the 8.5 by itself, you wouldn't be making that blind bat comment.
I don't know I think if you have seen this card in your hand raw you would say something is wrong here, you know better. Just me idk...it’s small... that's all.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I don't know I think if you have seen this card in your hand raw you would say something is wrong here, you know better. Just me idk...it’s small... that's all.
Look at all the WWGs on ebay and tell me if you still think it's obviously narrow. Size seems to vary.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-25-2023 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:36 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Very possible but my point is they don't want to know or care to know. It's in a holder end of the discussion for the investor it's good to go.
That's not true, either. Anyone that is concerned about future value wants to know their card is legit. No "investor" wants to be sitting on a fake.

Old 02-25-2023, 07:38 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
That's not true, either. Anyone that is concerned about future value wants to know their card is legit. No "investor" wants to be sitting on a fake.

Fake I agree with you....trimmed not so much in a holder they don't care.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:42 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:

The buyers of the most famous investment card in the hobby seem to disagree. PSA 8 it might be, but it's been well known pretty much from the start that it ain't unaltered.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:39 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
The buyers of the most famous investment card in the hobby seem to disagree. PSA 8 it might be, but it's been well known pretty much from the start that it ain't unaltered.
Are you just trolling? If you really think the buyer knew (or suspected) the Dimaggio was trimmed, let's hear it.

Old 02-25-2023, 08:42 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
They wouldn't?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wagner-00000001.jpg (130.9 KB, 948 views)
Old 02-25-2023, 08:44 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:

They have a 'real' 8.5 slab.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:50 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Are you just trolling? If you really think the buyer knew (or suspected) the Dimaggio was trimmed, let's hear it.

Are you just not reading? People are saying investors don't care if a card is trimmed, not that the buyer of this card knows for a fact it is trimmed.

I understand it is easier to argue against this claim you made up instead, but nobody said it. Try harder.
Old 02-26-2023, 04:41 AM

That's ridiculous. The strip that was removed from the left could be used as a shoelace...or belt.
Old 02-26-2023, 05:51 AM

The problem is if the card meets minimum size requirements, I don't see how SGC could conclude it was altered.
Old 02-26-2023, 07:03 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejharrington View Post
The problem is if the card meets minimum size requirements, I don't see how SGC could conclude it was altered.
That's the thing, imo. Numerous cards from way back then did not all come from the factory all the same size so trimming off whatever small amount the trimmers do (Thousandths of an inch?) is very hard to detect if the card still remains in spec.

I've heard before, however, that the TPG's can/should be able to detect, based on the edge color (and maybe some other things?) compared to the rest of the card, whether it has been recently trimmed or not?

Imo, it is a tough one for the TPG's to grade, especially if the edge looks like the rest of the card, (color/age wise) if one has been trimmed or not if it still falls into the size parameters.
(This is just my uneducated thought anyways)
Old 02-26-2023, 11:09 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
That's the thing, imo. Numerous cards from way back then did not all come from the factory all the same size so trimming off whatever small amount the trimmers do (Thousandths of an inch?) is very hard to detect if the card still remains in spec.

I've heard before, however, that the TPG's can/should be able to detect, based on the edge color (and maybe some other things?) compared to the rest of the card, whether it has been recently trimmed or not?

Imo, it is a tough one for the TPG's to grade, especially if the edge looks like the rest of the card, (color/age wise) if one has been trimmed or not if it still falls into the size parameters.
(This is just my uneducated thought anyways)
In hand, it's usually pretty easy to separate a likely trim job, I think. Color of the edge itself is one of several clues. True microtrims where only a very tiny strip is cut off very modern cards (which still vary in size - a stack of 2023 Topps base are visibly different sizes if you look closely) are the ones where I just can't tell. Telling from a scan is often tough because it doesn't show most of the edge of a card.

Natural variance should lead, overall, to a roughly equal number of oversized and undersized cards.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:19 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejharrington View Post
As far as vintage cards are concerned, size is not the way in which to determine if a card has been trimmed. If that were the only criteria then it would explain why there are so many trimmed cards in graded holders. The consistency of the grain (ways the layers of paper appear), the cut itself, as well as toning compared to what is typically seen on a factory cut card.

It can be hard to tell that from a photo, or if the card is already graded but with before and after images we can certainly now see SGC messed up...again.
Old 02-26-2023, 12:06 PM
Dave

I know the pay-off is substantial, but I'm still shocked at the cajones of somebody to trim a card, that is already 20K+ card nowadays. They've gotta have a lot of confidence that it's gonna pass.

I don't even have the confidence to cut cards from sheets or strips that are meant to be cut, with my crappy Staples issued paper cutter . But I do understand that people with the right tools and skill-set, can make it seem imperceptible to most.

I've said this before, but I set-up at hundreds of shows in the 80's and into the early 90's, and truly vintage NM to Gem Mint cards, were very, very few...and far between...and most of those were also trimmed or flattened out in brick like lucite holders to make them look better then they actually were.

Even cards I pulled right out of packs, I had a hard time, in good conscience, calling them MINT. I'd always just call them NM to be on the safe side.

That they started to become more common, when these huge price fluctuations began to develop between mid-graded stuff and high graded stuff, has proven to be not such a coincidence I guess.

That Dimaggio "6" would have been the centerpiece of almost any dealers table, because that "8.5", would have never existed in the first place.

Altering cards is not NEW. Back in the 80's, dealers used to color in the borders of 71' Topps cards, to get an extra buck or two a card. Can you imagine what somebody would do for an extra 100K a card?
Old 02-26-2023, 12:12 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I know the pay-off is substantial, but I'm still shocked at the cajones of somebody to trim a card, that is already 20K+ card nowadays. They've gotta have a lot of confidence that it's gonna pass.

I don't even have the confidence to cut cards from sheets or strips that are meant to be cut, with my crappy Staples issued paper cutter . But I do understand that people with the right tools and skill-set, can make it seem imperceptible to most.

I've said this before, but I set-up at hundreds of shows in the 80's and into the early 90's, and truly vintage NM to Gem Mint cards, were very, very few...and far between...and most of those were also trimmed or flattened out in brick like lucite holders to make them look better then they actually were.

Even cards I pulled right out of packs, I had a hard time, in good conscience, calling them MINT. I'd always just call them NM to be on the safe side.

That they started to become more common, when these huge price fluctuations began to develop between mid-graded stuff and high graded stuff, has proven to be not such a coincidence I guess.

That Dimaggio "6" would have been the centerpiece of almost any dealers table, because that "8.5", would have never existed in the first place.

Altering cards is not NEW. Back in the 80's, dealers used to color in the borders of 71' Topps cards, to get an extra buck or two a card. Can you imagine what somebody would do for an extra 100K a card?
+1. Altering cards isn’t new, but the ‘old days’ alterations were thankfully pretty easy to detect. The card doctors toolkit is a lot better these days and there are finally cards I look at, in hand, examine closely and cannot tell they have been altered. Modern cards with microtrims sometimes fall into this bucket, to make an 8 a 10 they can shave off way less than 1mm, and without the signs of age since it’s a new card, I can’t tell it’s altered. It’s well within size spec.

As a collector, it doesn’t really affect me. I don’t care if a card is altered personally beyond an academic point of view. I fear the day may come where this same problem arrives with authenticity, and that’s when the hobby implodes.
Old 02-26-2023, 12:30 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post

As a collector, it doesn’t really affect me. I don’t care if a card is altered personally beyond an academic point of view. I fear the day may come where this same problem arrives with authenticity, and that’s when the hobby implodes.

Yeah, if they start convincingly 3D printing 1934 Goudey Lou Gehrig cards with ground up bits of 1934 Goudey Mark Koenig cards, then the high rollers are really gonna be in trouble.
Old 02-26-2023, 12:58 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Or a very solid relationship with their grading company of choice.
Old 02-26-2023, 12:59 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Very true, Johnny, but should this card surface again in the marketplace, then many folks with long memories will stay well clear.
Old 02-26-2023, 01:07 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Very true, Johnny, but should this card surface again in the marketplace, then many folks with long memories will stay well clear.
Agree and hope so :-)
Old 02-26-2023, 01:12 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
For most of us this would be true but most of us could not afford to spend 6 figures on a card. Those who can seem to have quite a large appetite for overlooking such details and simply want a card that absent the alteration might not ever exist.
Old 02-26-2023, 04:50 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
WIth a card like this in that high a grade holder, there really should be a presumption that it's been altered, IMO, even if it may be hard to tell given the expertise of the work.\

BTW I wonder if Dave Forman graded this one personally. I'll leave it at that.
More like Eric was running late for a date and palmed the job off on Hyde
Old 02-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
If I was being paid hundreds of dollars to be sure if it was trimmed or not among other things I'd darn sure know how to tell. (I do now, but would be extra dilligent, which apparently isn't at all how grading is done.)