NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-23-2022, 03:06 PM

Default UPDATED -- Mid-Atlantic Trade Event - Opinions Wanted!

3-4 years ago, I hosted a trading event at my office in Maryland. About 12-15 prewar collectors came by, and we talked, hung out, showed off cards, and did some trading/deals. It was a lot of fun, and I get asked from time-to-time whether I am going to have another trade event. Andrew F (of net54) and I were talking a few weeks ago and we decided that it may be time to bring the event back. However, we want it to bigger and better than last time.

This would be an informal event for collectors to meet, show their cards, and trade/do deals. While there will certainly be transactions, this will not be a card show, where “dealers” set up and sit behind tables of cards with asking prices. Dealers are, of course, welcome, but not in their capacity as dealers trying to sell stuff to the gen pop. This is a collectors event; like the old days when you would take your shoebox/binders of cards to your buddy’s house and sit down with a group of kids and trade.

This thread solicits opinions and requests answers to the following queries:

1. How far would you drive/travel to attend?

2. Andrew and I live near DC, so it will be in that area. Is there a preference on Northern, VA (Tysons corner) vs somewhere around I495 in Maryland?

3. Are you more or less likely to attend if we did it the weekend of one of the Chantilly shows? If so, would you be more likely to attend after the show closes or during the day while the show is going on). Chantilly is a 3 day event

Alternatively - is there a time of year that is better than others if not done the same weekend as a Chantilly show?

4. Any preference for a smaller hotel conference room, restaurant, or private office (the preference is to use a smaller hotel conference room)

5. Would your decision to attend be impacted if there was a nominal door charge ($5-$10)?

6. Would you prefer the focus stay on prewar, or just baseball, or open it up to a more broad range of collectors? Note- I am pretty sure that anything after 1979 will be strictly outlawed and YouTubing will be grounds for dismissal.

At this point we are in the “investigation phase”. I will update this thread if/when decisions are made.

Thanks

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 10-27-2022 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-23-2022, 05:31 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Sounds like an amazing idea! I wish I lived closer!!!

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 10-23-2022, 05:43 PM
Jim Reynolds

Love the idea!

How far would you drive/travel to attend? About 2 hours

2. Andrew and I live near DC, so it will be in that area. Is there a preference on Northern, VA (Tysons corner) vs somewhere around I495 in Maryland? I’d prefer NoVa. I’m in Richmond so that works for me.

3. Are you more or less likely to attend if we did it the weekend of one of the Chantilly shows? If so, would you be more likely to attend after the show closes or during the day while the show is going on). Chantilly is a 3 day event I’d prefer to avoid the weekend of Chantilly

Alternatively - is there a time of year that is better than others if not done the same weekend as a Chantilly show? How about monthly?

4. Any preference for a smaller hotel conference room, restaurant, or private office (the preference is to use a smaller hotel conference room) hotel meeting room

5. Would your decision to attend be impacted if there was a nominal door charge ($5-$10)? That amount is fine

6. Would you prefer the focus stay on prewar, or just baseball, or open it up to a more broad range of collectors? Note- I am pretty sure that anything after 1979 will be strictly outlawed and YouTubing will be grounds for dismissal. pre-1980
Old 10-23-2022, 05:53 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I agree with Rhett--sounds great. Good luck guys; I'm envious.
Old 10-23-2022, 06:01 PM
octavio ranzola

Great idea go for it
Old 10-23-2022, 06:39 PM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

Ryan, I had a great time at the first event you hosted, and very much looking forward to this one. As we have been discussing, I am willing to do the leg work regarding reserving a room etc., once we decide on a date and geographic area, and have an estimate on how much space we would need.

I’m certainly open to other ideas, but I think the Tyson’s Corner area might be convenient (or at least not inconvenient) for a lot of people. There are a bunch of hotels there, so we could likely find something that would suit our needs. Also, lots of restaurants there if we wanted to bring food in.

I think sometime mid January to mid February might be good. Less outdoor activities that time of year so hopefully people wouldn’t have as many conflicts. Also, there don’t seem to be many card shows then, so might fill the void so to speak.

Just some thoughts, I am certainly open to other ideas. Should be a great time.

Andrew Finkelman

Last edited by Andrew1975; 10-23-2022 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 06:50 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

deleted

Last edited by Snapolit1; 10-23-2022 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 06:51 PM

Sounds like a great idea to me.

How far would you drive/travel to attend? DC/MD/NOVA fine. Would prefer NOVA.

2. Andrew and I live near DC, so it will be in that area. Is there a preference on Northern, VA (Tysons corner) vs somewhere around I495 in Maryland? NOVA

3. Are you more or less likely to attend if we did it the weekend of one of the Chantilly shows? If so, would you be more likely to attend after the show closes or during the day while the show is going on). Chantilly is a 3 day event

Chantilly weekend would be preferred.

Alternatively - is there a time of year that is better than others if not done the same weekend as a Chantilly show?

4. Any preference for a smaller hotel conference room, restaurant, or private office (the preference is to use a smaller hotel conference room) No preference

5. Would your decision to attend be impacted if there was a nominal door charge ($5-$10)? No that's fine

6. Would you prefer the focus stay on prewar, or just baseball, or open it up to a more broad range of collectors? Note- I am pretty sure that anything after 1979 will be strictly outlawed and YouTubing will be grounds for dismissal. Prefer pre-war/1950s

Last edited by JimC; 10-23-2022 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 06:55 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

1. How far would you drive/travel to attend? I’m on the other side of Baltimore so 1-1.5hrs would be cool

2. Andrew and I live near DC, so it will be in that area. Is there a preference on Northern, VA (Tysons corner) vs somewhere around I495 in Maryland? either works

3. Are you more or less likely to attend if we did it the weekend of one of the Chantilly shows? If so, would you be more likely to attend after the show closes or during the day while the show is going on). Chantilly is a 3 day event I think weekend of Chantilly would get some dealers that aren’t super local.

4. Any preference for a smaller hotel conference room, restaurant, or private office (the preference is to use a smaller hotel conference room)place with some beer/whiskey would be nice

5. Would your decision to attend be impacted if there was a nominal door charge ($5-$10)? Nope

6. Would you prefer the focus stay on prewar, or just baseball, or open it up to a more broad range of collectors? Note- I am pretty sure that anything after 1979 will be strictly outlawed and YouTubing will be grounds for dismissal. Id be open to all vintage even though I only have Ty Cobb stuff
Old 10-23-2022, 06:58 PM

How about comments only from people interested in coming. If this is not something you are interested in, that’s A-Ok with me. But no need to comment here. Thanks

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 10-23-2022 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:02 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Ok, deleted.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 10-23-2022 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:05 PM

Thanks Steve
Old 10-23-2022, 07:17 PM
Jay Shumsky

I don't have anything to trade, but I would be interested in coming and meeting some more people on the board. I'm in central NJ but my son is in college in Baltimore so if it was during the school year, I could mix in a visit with him so personal preference would be north of DC in Maryland as far as possible. Paying a small fee to attend would be fine with me.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:51 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Hi Ryan,

I'm very interested in attending such an event but I don't have near the collection of cards that some of the other attendees would be bringing. In other words, I wouldn't be "showing off" anything, but would love to see some of what others bring. If that's ok with you, then I would think about coming. Let me know.

1. How far would you drive/travel to attend? I could go to Tyson's Corner and it would work out for me at that location.

2. Andrew and I live near DC, so it will be in that area. Is there a preference on Northern, VA (Tysons corner) vs somewhere around I495 in Maryland? Again, Tysons Corner works for me.

3. Are you more or less likely to attend if we did it the weekend of one of the Chantilly shows? If so, would you be more likely to attend after the show closes or during the day while the show is going on). Chantilly is a 3 day event I like the idea of the beginning part of the year after the holidays are over.

4. Any preference for a smaller hotel conference room, restaurant, or private office (the preference is to use a smaller hotel conference room) Hotel would likely be a nice place to meet up.

5. Would your decision to attend be impacted if there was a nominal door charge ($5-$10)? I'd be happy to chip in to cover any costs

6. Would you prefer the focus stay on prewar, or just baseball, or open it up to a more broad range of collectors? Note- I am pretty sure that anything after 1979 will be strictly outlawed and YouTubing will be grounds for dismissal. I'd this that for this crowd maybe prewar and 50's-60's stuff, especially regional and oddball from the post war period.

Thanks a lot,

Andy

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 10-23-2022, 08:06 PM

I'm local too. I don't have anything to trade or sell, much less anything to show off, but I would definitely be willing to come if that's OK. Any location, venue, cost, etc,... is fine. I used to arrange meet-ups for collectors and really enjoyed meeting others and the variety of cards/memorabilia that each person collects. What might work is a meet-up AFTER the Chantilly show on the Saturday evening. Collectors may come into the area for the Chantilly show weekend, so they will already be there. I understand there was a trade night at one of the local Chantilly card stores on Saturday night after the show. You could do a similar thing for vintage in one of the the hotels near the show. Just a thought.

beer chug.gif

Last edited by Jewish-collector; 10-23-2022 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 10:08 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I'm interested!

Sounds like an awesome idea!

1. How far would you drive/travel to attend? - 6hrs

2. Andrew and I live near DC, so it will be in that area. Is there a preference on Northern, VA (Tysons corner) vs somewhere around I495 in Maryland? Whichever is closer to NY

Less likely - unless the event was held very close to the Dulles center - I do the show and wouldn't want to start driving far any nights of the show.

I think Andrew is on point with Jan-Feb (though there is a Cranston RI show Feb 4-5)

4. Any preference for a smaller hotel conference room, restaurant, or private office (the preference is to use a smaller hotel conference room) Conference room works

5. Would your decision to attend be impacted if there was a nominal door charge ($5-$10)? No. $5-$10 is more than reasonable.

6. Would you prefer the focus stay on prewar, or just baseball, or open it up to a more broad range of collectors? Note- I am pretty sure that anything after 1979 will be strictly outlawed and YouTubing will be grounds for dismissal. I don't have an opinion on this one outside of agreeing with your 1979 cutoff.

At this point we are in the “investigation phase”. I will update this thread if/when decisions are made.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:17 AM
Drew W@i$e

1. How far would you drive/travel to attend? I live around Baltimore, so 2 hours ish

2. Andrew and I live near DC, so it will be in that area. Is there a preference on Northern, VA (Tysons corner) vs somewhere around I495 in Maryland? Both are fine

3. Are you more or less likely to attend if we did it the weekend of one of the Chantilly shows? If so, would you be more likely to attend after the show closes or during the day while the show is going on). Chantilly is a 3 day event No preference

4. Any preference for a smaller hotel conference room, restaurant, or private office (the preference is to use a smaller hotel conference room) No preference

5. Would your decision to attend be impacted if there was a nominal door charge ($5-$10)? No preference

6. Would you prefer the focus stay on prewar, or just baseball, or open it up to a more broad range of collectors? Note- I am pretty sure that anything after 1979 will be strictly outlawed and YouTubing will be grounds for dismissal. Pre 1980. I have a large collection of prewar non sports, so would like that to be an option

Thanks
Old 10-24-2022, 09:01 AM

Default meet up

I live on Long Island NY but my daughter lives in Alexandria so it would really be fun to meet some of the Net 54 vintage guys. I would bring early NYAL cards, photos, autogs.

PreWar NYAL cards, photos, etc.
WantList: Mendelsohns Marsans; Rose 760PC Niles; Koester Mitchell; Koester Ferguson;1924 Diaz Roettger
Successful deals with 60+ board members
Old 10-24-2022, 09:48 AM
Steve Birmingham

My comments in Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
3-4 years ago, I hosted a trading event at my office in Maryland. About 12-15 prewar collectors came by, and we talked, hung out, showed off cards, and did some trading/deals. It was a lot of fun, and I get asked from time-to-time whether I am going to have another trade event. Andrew F (of net54) and I were talking a few weeks ago and we decided that it may be time to bring the event back. However, we want it to bigger and better than last time.

This would be an informal event for collectors to meet, show their cards, and trade/do deals. While there will certainly be transactions, this will not be a card show, where “dealers” set up and sit behind tables of cards with asking prices. Dealers are, of course, welcome, but not in their capacity as dealers trying to sell stuff to the gen pop. This is a collectors event; like the old days when you would take your shoebox/binders of cards to your buddy’s house and sit down with a group of kids and trade.

1. How far would you drive/travel to attend?
I'm not sure, an hour -hour and a half from me, maybe a bit farther? Im just North of Boston, and a DC trip unless I could combine with a family vacation would be too far.

2. Andrew and I live near DC, so it will be in that area. Is there a preference on Northern, VA (Tysons corner) vs somewhere around I495 in Maryland?
No preference, for something like that whatever works best for the organizers.

No preference, I doubt the family would tolerate both a trading day and a show during vacation. The little one rebels at two art museums in a row.

4. Any preference for a smaller hotel conference room, restaurant, or private office (the preference is to use a smaller hotel conference room)
Whatever room makes the most sense for the expected numbers and the organizers. A big room with 5 people would be weird, and a small room with lots of people would be difficult.

5. Would your decision to attend be impacted if there was a nominal door charge ($5-$10)?
If I could attend, a nominal entry fee would not be a problem.
I rarely sell or trade, so for me it would be a met and greet and checking out some cool cards.

6. Would you prefer the focus stay on prewar, or just baseball, or open it up to a more broad range of collectors? Note- I am pretty sure that anything after 1979 will be strictly outlawed and YouTubing will be grounds for dismissal.
Toughest question! Bringing a few cards wouldn't be a problem, with an expanded scope I'd feel like I should bring more. A 79 cutoff almost seems too modern, Unless there's a good reason. Prewar would preclude some really cool stuff as would limiting things to baseball. Maybe prewar anything and pre 79 anything except the main sets from Topps, Bowman, and maybe Fleer?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2022, 09:49 AM
Jim Parker

Hi, Neat idea.

I travel to vacation home in myrtle beach regularly, so somewhere on the way would be nice...would prefer further in southeast, so if others are curious for a winter or spring break timeframe please advise.

If there was interest in doing it in myrtle, i have access to a meeting room in my neighborhood.

Personally, i'd mainly be t206 only, but would love seeing others.

- feb thru early april is best timeframes.
- conf room or hotel is great and don't mind chipping in for fees.
- pre80 is good cutoff too.
Old 10-24-2022, 11:08 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Trade nights are great. One of the LA collectors did one here pre-COVID and it was a lot of fun. I didn't actually do any trading but had a nice time. If you are doing it and anyone here is local, I highly recommend it even if you don't have any trade fodder.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-24-2022, 02:18 PM
Jeff P

First, Ryan, thank you so much for even considering setting something like this up again!

1. How far would you drive/travel to attend? 1 hour in any direction

2. Andrew and I live near DC, so it will be in that area. Is there a preference on Northern, VA (Tysons corner) vs somewhere around I495 in Maryland? Since I'm in Northern VA, I'd clearly prefer NOVA but will go anywhere this event is held within 1 hour

3. Are you more or less likely to attend if we did it the weekend of one of the Chantilly shows? If so, would you be more likely to attend after the show closes or during the day while the show is going on). Chantilly is a 3 day event For me it really depends on the weekend, LOL. I'm 30 minutes from Chantilly so there's no reason to prefer it be at the same time

Alternatively - is there a time of year that is better than others if not done the same weekend as a Chantilly show? Not really. Weekend dependent

4. Any preference for a smaller hotel conference room, restaurant, or private office (the preference is to use a smaller hotel conference room) Private office or Hotel. Not a restaurant if possible

5. Would your decision to attend be impacted if there was a nominal door charge ($5-$10)? Nope as long as the costs are going toward the costs of the event

6. Would you prefer the focus stay on prewar, or just baseball, or open it up to a more broad range of collectors? Note- I am pretty sure that anything after 1979 will be strictly outlawed and YouTubing will be grounds for dismissal. I'm a football guy. Would probably come regardless as I appreciate cards from all sports but having a few other football guys would be nice. I can help wrangle them in if you want as well

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 10-24-2022 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-24-2022, 02:44 PM
bR!@N R0+H

Thank you Ryan and Andrew for coordinating this, it sounds like an incredibly fun time!

1. How far would you drive/travel to attend? living in Brooklyn so preferred to come down when already in the area

2. Andrew and I live near DC, so it will be in that area. Is there a preference on Northern, VA (Tysons corner) vs somewhere around I495 in Maryland? NOVA would be perfect, familiar with the area

3. Are you more or less likely to attend if we did it the weekend of one of the Chantilly shows? If so, would you be more likely to attend after the show closes or during the day while the show is going on). Chantilly is a 3 day event would very much prefer the event to take place during CSA as I would likely already be in the area for the show already

4. Any preference for a smaller hotel conference room, restaurant, or private office (the preference is to use a smaller hotel conference room) hotel conference room would be good, can be spread out enough for all to feel comfy

5. Would your decision to attend be impacted if there was a nominal door charge ($5-$10)? not whatsoever

6. Would you prefer the focus stay on prewar, or just baseball, or open it up to a more broad range of collectors? Note- I am pretty sure that anything after 1979 will be strictly outlawed and YouTubing will be grounds for dismissal. pre/post war exclusively

Greenberg collection
Old 10-24-2022, 02:55 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Ryan

I'm in the central Maryland Area. I would love to come and meet some members along with looking at their cards. Unfortunately I don't have any pre war to trade/mostly just Post War but would still like to come out and see everyone. Time and place don't matter to me/I'd come. Admission is fine with me.

John
Old 10-24-2022, 04:07 PM

I attended the earlier event Ryan hosted and it was great! It was great to see everyone, swap some cards and admire some awesome collections. My answers are below.
Andy Cook

1. How far would you drive/travel to attend? 2 hours

2. Andrew and I live near DC, so it will be in that area. Is there a preference on Northern, VA (Tysons corner) vs somewhere around I495 in Maryland? Prefer NOVA (I'm in NOVA), but MD is good too.

Alternatively - is there a time of year that is better than others if not done the same weekend as a Chantilly show? Almost any weekend is good

4. Any preference for a smaller hotel conference room, restaurant, or private office (the preference is to use a smaller hotel conference room) small hotel conference room

5. Would your decision to attend be impacted if there was a nominal door charge ($5-$10)? Happy to pay my share

6. Would you prefer the focus stay on prewar, or just baseball, or open it up to a more broad range of collectors? Note- I am pretty sure that anything after 1979 will be strictly outlawed and YouTubing will be grounds for dismissal. Prefer pre-1950
Old 10-25-2022, 10:12 AM

Ryan & Andrew, thanks for putting this together.

1. How far would you drive/travel to attend? 2 Hours

2. Andrew and I live near DC, so it will be in that area. Is there a preference on Northern, VA (Tysons corner) vs somewhere around I495 in Maryland? Nova

3. Are you more or less likely to attend if we did it the weekend of one of the Chantilly shows? If so, would you be more likely to attend after the show closes or during the day while the show is going on). Chantilly is a 3 day event Doesn't have to be a show weekend

Alternatively - is there a time of year that is better than others if not done the same weekend as a Chantilly show? The event would be great during a show "drought" period (Jan-Feb)

4. Any preference for a smaller hotel conference room, restaurant, or private office (the preference is to use a smaller hotel conference room) Whatever works but conference room would be preferred.

5. Would your decision to attend be impacted if there was a nominal door charge ($5-$10)? Not at all

6. Would you prefer the focus stay on prewar, or just baseball, or open it up to a more broad range of collectors? Note- I am pretty sure that anything after 1979 will be strictly outlawed and YouTubing will be grounds for dismissal. All sports pre 1980

Thanks again, Tony
Old 10-25-2022, 10:24 AM
Val Kehl

Ryan, it was great to run into you by chance and to chat with you on Saturday at the Chantilly Show. Having greatly enjoyed the inaugural event you held at your MD office a few years ago, I very much look forward to your proposed next event. Although I live in a distant VA suburb of DC, it matters not to me where this event is held, when it is held, what sort of venue it's held at, whether or not there is a door charge (but I think all attendees should contribute), etc. Baseball is my only interest, but there may be enough potential attendees who collect cards and stuff pertaining to other sports.
Best,
Val
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-25-2022, 10:36 AM
Michael S.

I live about 6 hours away, but if the dates work out, I'll be there!

Thanks for potentially arranging this!

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44
Old 10-26-2022, 10:46 AM
Jeff P

I absolutely love the idea of doing a get together like this during the hobby 'dead zone' in Jan/Feb. As long as it doesn't conflict with NFL playoffs, I'm in. Playoffs are a must-see TV event for us football guys, LOL.

jeff
Old 10-26-2022, 01:00 PM
Marty

Count me in.

1. How far would you drive/travel to attend? I am Maryland, north of DC. So a couple of hour drive time is no problem.

2. Andrew and I live near DC, so it will be in that area. Is there a preference on Northern, VA (Tysons corner) vs somewhere around I495 in Maryland? Either work

3. Are you more or less likely to attend if we did it the weekend of one of the Chantilly shows? If so, would you be more likely to attend after the show closes or during the day while the show is going on). Chantilly is a 3 day event No preference here.

Alternatively - is there a time of year that is better than others if not done the same weekend as a Chantilly show? Jan/Feb/Mar

4. Any preference for a smaller hotel conference room, restaurant, or private office (the preference is to use a smaller hotel conference room) No preference. But access to adult beverage would be great.

5. Would your decision to attend be impacted if there was a nominal door charge ($5-$10)? No

6. Would you prefer the focus stay on prewar, or just baseball, or open it up to a more broad range of collectors? Note- I am pretty sure that anything after 1979 will be strictly outlawed and YouTubing will be grounds for dismissal. Prefer pre-war up to the 1960s
Old 10-26-2022, 01:40 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

Quote:
How about comments only from people interested in coming. If this is not something you are interested in, that’s A-Ok with me. But no need to comment here. Thanks
Hey Ryan, I'm the guy you gave your extra ticket to at the Chantilly Show (the show before this latest one). Thanks again for that.

I'm in NOVA and would be happy to attend and represent vintage photo collectors (1910s - 1960's), if you choose to allow that in addition to cards. Either way, it would be great to meet the other Net 54 people in the area.

Best,
Rob S.
Old 10-26-2022, 01:45 PM
Justin

I come to the area for work once a month on the weekend so would definitely attend if it falls on one of those weekends.

Maryland is typically better for me on a Saturday but otherwise no preference.

I dont have a preference for venue and don't mind a small fee.

I would prefer vintage but not only prewar as I also collect late 40s and early 50s.

Look forward to details and hope I can attend.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jcosta19; 10-28-2022 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-27-2022, 05:04 AM
John Alston

Ryan, I think would be a great event and I'd love to come if I could coordinate with a visit to family in Chesapeake.

Anywhere close to D.C would be good for me, as I'd be flying in to either there or Norfolk and making the drive.

I think a hotel conference room would be ideal as I'd likely be staying over a night and would be happy to contribute to the cost.

No preference for timing it with the Chantilly show.

I'd only have T206 for trade so would be open to whatever collecting eras made most sense for the group.

Hoping to see this come together and I'll definitely attend if I can!
Old 10-27-2022, 07:09 AM

1. How far would you drive/travel to attend? I am about 10 hours away

2. Andrew and I live near DC, so it will be in that area. Is there a preference on Northern, VA (Tysons corner) vs somewhere around I495 in Maryland? NoVa would be better

3. Are you more or less likely to attend if we did it the weekend of one of the Chantilly shows? If so, would you be more likely to attend after the show closes or during the day while the show is going on). Chantilly is a 3 day event.

Alternatively - is there a time of year that is better than others if not done the same weekend as a Chantilly show? More likely to attend if it is around the time of Chantilly show

5. Would your decision to attend be impacted if there was a nominal door charge ($5-$10)? No

6. Would you prefer the focus stay on prewar, or just baseball, or open it up to a more broad range of collectors? Pre 1980 would be fine.
Old 10-27-2022, 07:42 AM

Default Updated

Thank you all for the comments and opinions.

As Andrew and I investigate this, and also taking into consideration comments, a few things have become clear:

1. The Spring Chantilly show is over Spring Break for Andrew's kids, so that date is a non-starter.

2. Hotels are expensive and offer few (if any) amenities/benefits.

THUS, it is looking like we will be doing this, on Saturday February 18th, at Andrew's golf club in Ashburn (very close to Chantilly). The club has a 1600sf room, can set up tables however we want, a restaurant and bar that accepts credit cards, is safer (in that randoms cannot and will not just walk into a gold club), and is reasonable enough that we will not have to charge for the room -- so it will be a free event (except you pay for food and drink). I think we will open it to all eras, sports, and media types (photos etc), with a focus on prewar baseball, and we will OUTLAW anything newer than 1979 in baseball and 1985 in all other sports.

This is not in stone, but likely how it will shake out. So pencil into calendars now.

I will start a new thread if/when the event is finalized, at which point you can mark it in pen in calendars.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 10-27-2022 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-27-2022, 08:18 AM
Justin

Quote:
Thank you all for the comments and opinions.

As Andrew and I investigate this, and also taking into consideration comments, a few things have become clear:

1. The Spring Chantilly show is over Spring Break for Andrew's kids, so that date is a non-starter.

2. Hotels are expensive and offer few (if any) amenities/benefits.

THUS, it is looking like we will be doing this, on Saturday February 20th, at Andrew's golf club in Ashburn (very close to Chantilly). The club has a 1600sf room, can set up tables however we want, a restaurant and bar that accepts credit cards, is safer (in that randoms cannot and will not just walk into a gold club), and is reasonable enough that we will not have to charge for the room -- so it will be a free event (except you pay for food and drink). I think we will open it to all eras, sports, and media types (photos etc), with a focus on prewar baseball, and we will OUTLAW anything newer than 1979 in baseball and 1985 in all other sports.

This is not in stone, but likely how it will shake out. So pencil into calendars now.

I will start a new thread if/when the event is finalized, at which point you can mark it in pen in calendars.
Just a heads up Feb 20th is a Monday, assuming this is a typo.

Old 10-27-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcosta19 View Post
Just a heads up Feb 20th is a Monday, assuming this is a typo.

Thanks, I corrected it to the 18th
Old 10-27-2022, 01:52 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Thanks, I corrected it to the 18th
That is a long weekend, the 20th is President's Day, for those that are intrigued.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 10-27-2022, 05:31 PM
Patrick

I'm in Richmond Virginia so definitely could make it work, could use it as an excuse to see my parents. Especially with enough notice I could swing it.

1956 Topps (97/340)
1950 Bowman (178/252)
Virginia T206 SLers (11/12)
T210 Richmond Colts (17/18)
T206 Washington Senators (14/19)
T205 Washington Senators (3/9)
Richmond and Virginia pre war minor leaguers
Old 10-27-2022, 06:17 PM

There are 3 hotels within a mile. Also, the Udvar Hazey Smithsonian Air and Space Museum is right there, which is an amazing place. And, you are mere miles from the Capitol and White house. Plenty to do for a long weekend in DC.

Oh, and there will be a restaurant and bar and the place, so.....
Old 10-27-2022, 06:33 PM
Jeff P

Very cool! Will definitely try to make it. Just put it on my calendar so I don't forget.

jeff
Old 10-27-2022, 06:52 PM
Justin

Quote:
There are 3 hotels within a mile. Also, the Udvar Hazey Smithsonian Air and Space Museum is right there, which is an amazing place. And, you are mere miles from the Capitol and White house. Plenty to do for a long weekend in DC.

Oh, and there will be a restaurant and bar and the place, so.....
Agree with all of this. Love the Udvar Hazey Air and Space.

I am probably going to try to change my work weekend and bring the family for a mini trip on the long weekend from NC.

We did a similar work/trip over 4th of July in the same area and it was great.

Old 10-27-2022, 07:54 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcosta19 View Post
Agree with all of this. Love the Udvar Hazey Air and Space.

I am probably going to try to change my work weekend and bring the family for a mini trip on the long weekend from NC.

We did a similar work/trip over 4th of July in the same area and it was great.

I'm hoping to bring the family for a mini vacation as well. My daughter's best friend moved to Arlington a while back and they keep in touch, so we are hoping to coordinate a visit with her for my daughter. How far away is Arlington from the Golf Club? Half hour drive, more, less?

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
Old 10-27-2022, 08:32 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
I'm hoping to bring the family for a mini vacation as well. My daughter's best friend moved to Arlington a while back and they keep in touch, so we are hoping to coordinate a visit with her for my daughter. How far away is Arlington from the Golf Club? Half hour drive, more, less?

Pretty much 45 minutes, give or take. Rte 66 from that area into Arlington can be a crap shoot. There always seem to be accidents as you approach the Beltway (Rte 495) from Nutley St. Idiot drivers cutting across lanes since you go right to go south towards 95 in Richmond and left to go north to 95 towards Baltimore. If the weather is inclement (single rain drop or snowflake) pack your patience. With half the drivers around here the last thing they drove was a goat cart in Bangladesh. Anyone who lives in the snowbelt would understand. I lived in Mass. for 45 years. 3 inches down here is a snowstorm and the Federal Government shuts down. From Nebraska to Massachusetts it is a dusting. You brush off your car and go about your business.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 10-27-2022 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-28-2022, 07:04 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Pretty much 45 minutes, give or take. Rte 66 from that area into Arlington can be a crap shoot. There always seem to be accidents as you approach the Beltway (Rte 495) from Nutley St. Idiot drivers cutting across lanes since you go right to go south towards 95 in Richmond and left to go north to 95 towards Baltimore. If the weather is inclement (single rain drop or snowflake) pack your patience. With half the drivers around here the last thing they drove was a goat cart in Bangladesh. Anyone who lives in the snowbelt would understand. I lived in Mass. for 45 years. 3 inches down here is a snowstorm and the Federal Government shuts down. From Nebraska to Massachusetts it is a dusting. You brush off your car and go about your business.
Thanks Michael. This is a big help.

Old 10-28-2022, 11:28 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Thanks Michael. This is a big help.

Glad to assist. Think of the GSP through the Oranges on any given day.