NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-05-2022, 04:15 PM
Eric Perry

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 02-05-2022 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The MO on these scammers is they generally won't have any posts or very few. They will have joined in the last 30 days, usually much less. One just tried to scam a member today or yesterday. Scammers id was/is Davehunk107.

Many of the names and id's recently, of these scammers, have "dave" in them....I hope Dave is having fun LOL.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:46 AM
John

There's a HAL 9000 joke in there somewhere.

John

Successful Transactions with: KMayUSA6060, Jacklitsch, philliesfan, JimmyC
Old 02-07-2022, 12:18 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwan1129 View Post
There's a HAL 9000 joke in there somewhere.
Open the BST doors, HAL.
I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 02-07-2022, 01:48 PM
Jim M.arinari

Dave's not here, man.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:06 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Open the BST doors, HAL.
I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
I hope HAL doesn't keep out all the Daves.

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 02-07-2022 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:19 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

BSTscammersmoose.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 02-08-2022 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Just want to bump this as I am getting pm's almost daily of scammers on the BST. Same MO.....Very few or no posts, just registered....although the time they registered isn't definitive as they can register and just lay low, as the one did just now... Please be cautious and PM me .....no one that has pm'd me before a transaction has ever gotten scammed. If they have 100+ posts they aren't a scammer. They might be something else but not that.
thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg joed2.jpg (149.3 KB, 1577 views)
Old 03-08-2022, 07:31 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Yeah I keep getting pms from an account with 0 posts saying that I should email some random address to get the cards I’m looking for.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Yeah I keep getting pms from an account with 0 posts saying that I should email some random address to get the cards I’m looking for.
Please PM on all of those and I can at least ban them and their IP.....
Old 03-08-2022, 07:51 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Dave's not here, man.
hahaha, now that is where I would have headed too.

NO, I'm DAVE!!!!!

What?????

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
If they have 100+ posts they aren't a scammer. They might be something else but not that.
thanks
I'm a lot of things, but not a scammer
Old 03-14-2022, 08:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

A few more scammers the last few days. Still the same MO's.....just joined with no posts or just a few...and a price too good to be true.

IF someone with low a post count and a price too good to be true makes you an offer send them my way please!

I keep bumping this so our members will know what is going on. These scammers crawl under the door to the BST and never have registration info on file.... because they are effing scammers...

Last edited by Leon; 03-14-2022 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-14-2022, 01:05 PM
Mark

I received a response earlier this morning from a WTB request that I had posted on Saturday in the 20-49 BST. It read, "Hello I’m sure my brother still have that for sale and the best way to contact is via email XXXXXX@gmail.com" (actual email address removed). Nothing suspicious there . By the time I did some digging into the unfamiliar username, it had been banned. Thanks for staying on top of it Leon.

Regards,
Mark
Old 03-14-2022, 06:46 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealme View Post
I received a response earlier this morning from a WTB request that I had posted on Saturday in the 20-49 BST. It read, "Hello I’m sure my brother still have that for sale and the best way to contact is via email XXXXXX@gmail.com" (actual email address removed). Nothing suspicious there . By the time I did some digging into the unfamiliar username, it had been banned. Thanks for staying on top of it Leon.

Regards,
Mark
Mark, you have a sharper eye than me… I actually had 3-4 e-mail connections with his “brother” before it finally dawned on me that this was a total scam. I reached out to Leon and found out this dude was full of crap and was banned.

Not sure what the scam would have been but the guy seemed desperate to know my mailing address (which I never gave). Not sure what the scam would have been, but I did want to share the “where are you? What is your address?” was the MO of this creepy scammer.

Not quite burned… but closer than I’d like to be.
Old 03-16-2022, 11:57 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

The perp probably only wanted to violate your daughter and burn your house down. Too many crazies out there to suit me.
Old 03-16-2022, 12:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
The perp probably only wanted to violate your daughter and burn your house down. Too many crazies out there to suit me.
I think it was that message which warranted, at the time, a call from the FBI.... After they spoke to his dad it never happened again.

And back to topic, the scammers are still trying to get in so everyone please be aware.
Old 03-16-2022, 06:36 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Help them out

Let’s give them their own section in BST :

The Scam section, any years or cards you’d like…

The lack of sales could be a deterrent to posting more scams.

But seriously there should be some mechanism to keep low post members from selling . They wouldn’t have seemed to “earn” that right yet .

And they surely haven’t participated or contributed to the board/community if their first three posts are selling Cobb and Ruth and Mantle RC.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 03-17-2022, 03:22 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
Let’s give them their own section in BST :

The Scam section, any years or cards you’d like…

The lack of sales could be a deterrent to posting more scams.

But seriously there should be some mechanism to keep low post members from selling . They wouldn’t have seemed to “earn” that right yet .

And they surely haven’t participated or contributed to the board/community if their first three posts are selling Cobb and Ruth and Mantle RC.
Maybe we should.
A longtime member got burned today for a few hundred dollars. The scammer on the bst had 0 posts and joined in the last day or two. The scammer said his brother had some card or something. And our member sent Venmo, so there is no recourse. I hate that this stuff is still happening today. Everyone needs to beware or you will have a bad learning lesson.
Old 03-17-2022, 03:47 PM

How about all things being equal (listing price, interest rate, response window), you list it on Net54, you have allegiance to Net54 community members. Else, why are we a community if don't support each other's acquisition pursuits?
Old 03-17-2022, 03:49 PM
Jeff

Default Just got scammed

I am the guy Leon refers to in the previous post. Let me explain so it does not happen to someone else.

I ran a WTB for the two T3s needed to complete the set (happy about that!!). A guy PMed me with an account named dwynejames889 (now banned by Leon) who wrote " Hello I’m sure my brother still have that for sale and the best way to contact is via email lynchchris872@gmail.com"

I have done numerous transactions on the BST and am trusting of people, apparently too trusting. I did not check when the guy registered or anything. My bad.

The guy sends me a pic of a Paskert which looked great but I could not enlarge it and asked for a back scan. He supplied neither a pic I could enlarge nor a back scan. First red flag missed.

Then he had a Zelle account that he shared with someone. Another red flag but not as uncommon as you might think. His name is Christopher Lynch and the Zelle account was to Jonathan Pearl.

We had agreed on a price of $220 and I even threw in another $5 for shipping. This morning he emailed and said someone else had contacted him and wanted the card for $300 so he needed another $50. That is when I started checking into his history and contacted Leon.

Only out $225 so not the end of the world but should have seen it coming. Do as instructed in previous posts in this thread and see if the person offering you the item has a successful history on Net54.

Happy Collecting!
Old 03-17-2022, 07:02 PM
Jim M.arinari

Leon,
Is there a way to 'quarantine' newbies, since this seems to be a quick hit enterprise? Obviously someone could bide their time, but it seems like most of these attempts have been new registrations?
Old 03-17-2022, 07:16 PM

A shame it has be that way, but awesome Leon that you are so diligent managing those.
Old 03-17-2022, 07:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Leon,
Is there a way to 'quarantine' newbies, since this seems to be a quick hit enterprise? Obviously someone could bide their time, but it seems like most of these attempts have been new registrations?
There are no registrations for those scammers. They crawl in under the door, so to speak.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:09 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Not sure what the scam would have been but the guy seemed desperate to know my mailing address (which I never gave). Not sure what the scam would have been, but I did want to share the “where are you? What is your address?” was the MO of this creepy scammer.

Could want your address to set you up for a robbery knowing you have a collection...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:44 PM
Al Stein

If you click on someone's user name, you can see how many posts they have made and how long they have been a member. There is also some personal info there about them. (If they don't fill it out that's a clue.)

You can also click on their user name to send a private message. You can ask them for references.

Leon is doing a good job at dealing with the scammers but we all should be doing our own diligence before we buy. And then if we still want to buy the card from that guy who just joined Net54 yesterday (because it's a $900 card the guy is selling for $200) then that's our choice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2022, 10:32 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post

Could want your address to set you up for a robbery knowing you have a collection...
And I hate to say it, but another good reason to not always be posting pictures of man caves and collections on a public forum. Knock on wood, I've never heard of a member's house being robbed.......yet! And pray I never do.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

FYI, the last 3 days I have received PM's each day about scammers on the BST. The MO has been the same....some guy says his brother has a card blah blah blah. So if anyone just registered and/or has no or very few posts AND they are offering to buy or sell cards, be very careful. A few times the banned person has kept contacting members through emails....Please, please keep PMing me....
Old 03-22-2022, 03:08 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

491. Cravin'-It Emptor
When your unbridled desire for a card causes you to be unaware of all of the red flags pointing to it being a scam.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:14 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
You can also click on their user name to send a private message. You can ask them for references.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
It's not fool proof, but I do enjoy members who put successful transactions in their signature line.

I also do reference checks occasionally. I mostly buy Reds stuff, and I have asked other Reds collectors if they've don't business with XYZ.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 03-30-2022, 07:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
It's not fool proof, but I do enjoy members who put successful transactions in their signature line.

I also do reference checks occasionally. I mostly buy Reds stuff, and I have asked other Reds collectors if they've don't business with XYZ.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Please continue to be careful. Today, and almost daily, there are trolls on the BST. So far every scammer has had very, very few, if any posts, and has just joined. They seem to have a brother with all of the cards!! LOL

Last edited by Leon; 03-30-2022 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:48 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Please continue to be careful. Today, and almost daily, there are trolls on the BST. So far every one has had very, very few, if any posts, and have just joined. They seem to have a brother with all of the cards!! LOL
Still the same MO, huh?. Well, obviously they don't read the front page or they would have changed it up.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This morning, just now, I received a PM from Howard C (hi Howard)., He had been contacted by someone saying their ID is Moonlight Graham. Unfortunately for him I have registration info on file and he IS NOT moonlight graham.

So the new scam seems to be telling a member they are an id that they aren't in order to scam them. Please be checking with me on ANYTHING in the BST areas that just doesn't seem right. Caveat Emptor!
Old 04-08-2022, 09:29 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Details

Hi All,

Thank Leon. Figured I would share some of the back and forth to possibly help prevent others from being scammed. Here is part of the Email exchange:

1) "Hi Dave,

I heard back from Leon. Seems you are not the registered user for the "Moonlight Graham" user ID.

Howard"

2) "PM me to confirm then"

3) "Did that before I reached out to Leon. Going to need you to work it out with Leon first if you are who you say you are. All threads that I looked at started by Moonlight Graham are signed "Joe K"

4) "Okay then"

5) "I have different email addresses so you have no worries
Just make the payment and get the card."

The guys email is "DaveHunk107@gmail.com" and has been interacting as "Dave" for anyone interested.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:49 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post

5) "I have different email addresses so you have no worries
Just make the payment and get the card."
Gotta love this response. Just pay me bro. No worries. Right, sounds good.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 04-08-2022, 01:42 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I'm lost. Did he pretend to be Joe K or was he just using a similar username? Or both?

Joe's username is Moonlight Graham. However, other similar usernames that are currently registered are MoonlightGraham and moonlightgraham062905.

Which username did he use to contact you?
Old 04-08-2022, 04:38 PM
Howard Chasser

Default He emailed me directly

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I'm lost. Did he pretend to be Joe K or was he just using a similar username? Or both?

Joe's username is Moonlight Graham. However, other similar usernames that are currently registered are MoonlightGraham and moonlightgraham062905.

Which username did he use to contact you?
I often post my email and or phone# directly into threads. He emailed me directly from the email address I posted above saying he saw my post on Net54.

While I often share my number and email publicly, I am also cautious to check people out before completing a transaction - I asked for his Net 54 user id to which he replied "Moonlight Graham" I 1) looked up the id (saw the others as well - but who doesn't know their own user ID?, 2) reached out to Leon - who said the name and email the guy gave me were not associated with "Moonlight Grahams" account, 3) I PM'd "Moonlight Graham" (heard back later this afternoon that he (Joe) hadn't emailed me and 3) checked a few "Moonlight Graham" started threads and saw the name discrepancy - "Moonlight Graham" posts signed "Joe K" vs. the guy emailing me as Dave Hunk.

On a related/unrelated note - my phone number was "spoofed" twice today - just learned about this - a scammer can call someone trying to scam money from them having your phone number show up in the caller id!! Filed a report with the FTC.

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 04-08-2022, 04:42 PM
Howard Chasser

Default This evenings follow up.....

He sends me another email a little while ago:

"Purchasing???"

I respond:

"Nope. Try scamming Someone else!"

He responds:

"Ok, thanks. "

You can't make this stuff up!!

Old 04-08-2022, 04:43 PM
Dave Fa*st

I’d be suspicious enough if the guy’s email was “Dave Hunk”. Who calls themselves a hunk?
Old 04-08-2022, 04:59 PM
octavio ranzola

Looks like Nigerian scammers have invaded net 54🤭🤭
Old 04-08-2022, 05:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltman View Post
I’d be suspicious enough if the guy’s email was “Dave Hunk”. Who calls themselves a hunk?
Guys on other sites? .

Last edited by Leon; 04-08-2022 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2022, 06:11 PM

Howard, did you contact him first about a card he allegedly had for sale? If so, what thread were you responding to and what was the username he used when he posted the card for sale? In other words, did he post something for sale on BST and if so, under what username?

Or, did he just reach out to you by email, randomly, asking if you wanted to buy a particular card he “had” (ie he did not post a card for sale on BST)?
Old 04-08-2022, 06:29 PM

I've gotten this message as part of the communication from two board member a toal three times between the two:

This is a message from xxxxx xxxxxx at Net54baseball.com Forums ( http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php ). The Net54baseball.com Forums owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.
Old 04-08-2022, 06:39 PM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Howard, did you contact him first about a card he allegedly had for sale? If so, what thread were you responding to and what was the username he used when he posted the card for sale? In other words, did he post something for sale on BST and if so, under what username?

Or, did he just reach out to you by email, randomly, asking if you wanted to buy a particular card he “had” (ie he did not post a card for sale on BST)?
Ryan and Howard,
Same guy emailed me as well offering to sell me the Green Goudey 181 I’ve been seeking in BST. Seems they’re snagging anyones email they can on here to solicit.

Josh
Old 04-08-2022, 07:48 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post

a "WTB" listing with some cards listed as well as my phone# and email. He emailed me pics of one of the cards with an asking price (A 1953 Mays PSA 2.5).

Old 04-08-2022, 07:59 PM

Interesting. This a great thread to help stay vigilant
Old 04-08-2022, 08:08 PM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
a "WTB" listing with some cards listed as well as my phone# and email. He emailed me pics of one of the cards with an asking price (A 1953 Mays PSA 2.5).
He emailed me as well with a Goudey Green Ruth photos with a to good for be true price as well.
Old 04-09-2022, 07:25 AM
Gary

Leon, thanks for your work to keep the BST area a safe place.

I've not wanted to say anything about it before, because I don't want to come across as preachy...but for general information - it's a good idea not to post you email address or phone number on a public forum (here or anywhere). That's not intended to be a criticism of anyone...I just wanted to point it out for those who may not know.

Members can use the Private Messaging to reach out to you. If you want to give your email address/phone number to them via a PM, that shouldn't be an issue. (Often it's easier to exchange high res scans etc via email.) But by using a PM to give out your email/phone number you have control over who gets your details and when.

Leon, I'm sure you don't want to give too much info away so you don't encourage other scammers, but I've wondered how the scammers get through?

I remember when I registered, I could create a login but couldn't use it until I sent you some details to verify.
Old 04-09-2022, 07:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
Leon, thanks for your work to keep the BST area a safe place.

I've not wanted to say anything about it before, because I don't want to come across as preachy...but for general information - it's a good idea not to post you email address or phone number on a public forum (here or anywhere). That's not intended to be a criticism of anyone...I just wanted to point it out for those who may not know.

Members can use the Private Messaging to reach out to you. If you want to give your email address/phone number to them via a PM, that shouldn't be an issue. (Often it's easier to exchange high res scans etc via email.) But by using a PM to give out your email/phone number you have control over who gets your details and when.

Leon, I'm sure you don't want to give too much info away so you don't encourage other scammers, but I've wondered how the scammers get through?

I remember when I registered, I could create a login but couldn't use it until I sent you some details to verify.
We have some antiquated s/w that still needs to be updated. But the pain to do it is a lot....so if we stay vigilant and be careful we should still be fine.
Always ask for someone's Net54baseball ID and check it with me....that will bust them immediately

Last edited by Leon; 05-05-2022 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:40 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Just got hit up by a different scammer

Interesting that it was from the same BST post (WTB 1953 Willie Mays) the first one used. This email is from:

johngoldberg679@gmail.com

At least the 1st one made me think a little - A PSA 2.5 for $2K. This one is a joke - An o/c PSA 2 for $500!

While I agree it is much safer to not post an email or phone#, this is my business and both are easy enough to find - as in this case I do take steps to check people I do not know out.