NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-13-2011, 11:37 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Default Human Sacrifice, Dogs and Cats Living Together... Mass Hysteria! SHOW EM...

Dear Friends,

A giant asteroid is about to hit earth in two days and wipe-out all inhabitants and forever change earth as we've known it. Alien beings offer you and your entire family safe passage to another dimension with the promise that when the air is breathable again, they will safely return you back to earth. The aliens are well aware of the baseball card collection. Actually, your collection is the reason that they picked you. They explicitly state that you can only bring "TEN" cards, which will serve as a chronicle for future generations. SHOW EM.....

FBI FYI Disclaimer: This is a purely hypothetical post, I do not have any prior knowledge of giant asteroid's, nor have I ever, nor will I ever associate with aliens. Thank you!

Prewar Card Forum Disclaimer: While we are aware that other prewar card forum's exist. We do not ever borrow ideas from their threads.

Lovely Day...
Old 07-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Iggy

Iggy- nice idea for a thread . Next thing you know other forums will be doing Dinners or something!!! BTW, you need to start off with your 10 .
Old 07-13-2011, 12:06 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Thanks Leon! I figured that since Bruce is on the disabled list, I'll do my part to keep your hit count high. Actually, I didn't want to start with mine, just in case an alien is reading this thread (I'm not a big "FIFO" disciple). I'll post mine soon.

Lovely Day...

Last edited by iggyman; 07-13-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyman View Post
Thanks Leon, I'm trying hard to keep your hit count high, to make-up for Bruce being on the disable list. Actually, I didn't want to start with mine, just in case an alien is reading this thread (I'm not a big "FIFO" disciple). I'll post mine soon.

Lovely Day...
Thanks man!!! Every little bit counts....and with a few folks I have run off due to my moderating we need every view we can get. And to get the ball rolling here are few I might have to keep....

Old 07-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Ed McCollum

Default Is money allowed?

I thought we could only take ten cards. Now Leon is flashing money around again. Is it cash or cards?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:47 PM

OK. This is the way I am interpreting this post entitled:

"Human Sacrifice, Dogs and Cats Living Together... Mass Hysteria! SHOW EM..."

Add to it that Leon is flashing money and I think of a couple of Bills....Murray and Lee. If you have cards of either please post them!

Sorry to off subject .
Old 07-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Steve Birmingham

Few scans handy, but a list of 10 cards as a chronicle of our collective past?

1 An old Judge- 1880's, and photography is becoming a major technology that's changing communication and art for perhaps the rest of human time.

2 A T206, preferably one with a nice sunset background. The nation is idealistic and hopeful, and the concept of a professional athlete as an idealised celebrity is taking hold.

3 A strip card. The whole country is living it up while europe suffers devastating inflation after WWI. We'd make good looking cards, but we're too busy partying, and trying to figure out how to find smuggle or make booze which has been banned.

4 Either a 33 Goudey or a George C Miller. Booze is back! Unfortunately we've caught that depression Europe had and somewhat still has, and we need to make some very attractive freebies to get kids to even cough up a penny for gum. With the Millers - is that a rising or setting sun? Or both, as both Europe and Asia are feeling a bit feisty after being broke for a decade, and trouble is brewing.

5 A 1948 Bowman. The war's been over for 2+ years, all the survivors are back playing baseball, and the restrictions on most goods are done! A limited set, maybe to see if it still boosts sales. Soon there would be color and larger cards as the countrys buying frenzy continues for a few years.

6 A 1955 Bowman. Television is Here, and now it's in COLOR! As long as you can afford a set. As big a gamechanger as Photography was in the 1880's TV is becoming. A color system that can do both color and the more common monochrome gets it on the way to the big time, and in a decade it will become even bigger as everyone switches to color.

7 A 1967 Topps, the clean look is a triumph of conservative 60's values, clean design to go with clean living, And clear pictures of the players that we see on TV once a week or so. This lifestyle will go on forever, nevermind those odd people listening to that rock music and spouting odd political views They'll grow up soon.

8 A 1972 Topps Clemente. In a bit over a year the player will be gone. Dying in an effort to help people he didn't know. Represents the era, and the best humanity has to offer. Plus, does anything say 70's more than that over the top design? Also an indication that maybe just maybe now that so many of the great players of the 50's who seemed larger than life have retired the game is bigger than the guys that play it. And the colors and stars will appeal to the 5 year olds of the hippies......

9 Any card from the late 80's-early 90's. Mediocre design and photography in most cases, and poor production values. The players and the game no longer seem all that special, after all, they're just guys being paid silly money to play a game. And the cards themselves are now the product, no gum or anything included.

10 Some crazy new card, the more foil stamping, die cutting, equipment parts and autographs the better.And maybe a touch of nostalgia while we figure out what to do when the magpie effect wears off. We've fallen to this, flashy dressing to make something with little substance attractive. Like an old single at last call hoping those new shoes and dress or trendy tie and suit will provide some last shred of relevance - or at least another brief dalliance before time passes over them.

Our society can be described by the things we make. sometimes for the better, sometimes worse. Admittedly the last bit is a bit maudlin, and I could have made it different. But if Earth is in for a big hit and Aliens have to save us, well, maybe it's appropriate.

Steve B

Old 07-13-2011, 05:54 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Steve B.....

I love your take on it!

And you did it without a 1952 Topps

Steve
Old 07-13-2011, 06:18 PM

Oh, well. I'll skip my Bill Murray and Bill Lee request and post the following:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1922 W503 Coveleskie.jpg (24.9 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg 1929 Leader Novelty Ott.jpg (29.2 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg 1922 W503 Sisler.jpg (26.5 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg 1927 Tabacalera La Morena Scott [Front].jpg (25.8 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 D381 Fleischmann Bakery Cooper.jpg (45.0 KB, 297 views)
Old 07-13-2011, 06:30 PM

And five more:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1911 Sporting News Hoffman [Front].jpg (33.6 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg 1915 W Unc (2) Lobert.jpg (34.6 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg 1921 Schapira Brothers Burns.jpg (27.1 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg 1922 W575-1 Hawks.jpg (22.0 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg 1923 Unc Maranville.jpg (23.5 KB, 294 views)
Old 07-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Chris Counts

Steve, your post is truly inspired!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:08 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Steve, that was truly inspired stuff and if I may speak on behalf of Net54........we are humbled with your insight, well played!. Here is my Bo Derek ensemble. Tough call on some of these and if you asked me five minutes from now, well.....I'm sure the cards will change. One note, I really wanted a '33 Goudey and I really wanted a catching pose. Thus, a compromise was reached.

emilyvideo 107.jpg

Threw a post card into the suitcase to emphasize how we were a civilized society...
forbes small.jpg

Lovely Day...

Last edited by iggyman; 07-13-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:20 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Is this where they also give you a book titled "To Serve Man"?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:29 AM
Steve Birmingham

Thanks everyone. I've given a few friends a similar spiel when they've asked why I collect cards. It's better with the group of 10 all laid out in a row. Last time I did that I had a few more than 10, doing one for each decade.

I love the choices everyone is making. Especially the postcard! A fine illustration of a more genteel age.

Steve B
Old 07-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Is this where they also give you a book titled "To Serve Man"?
Never get on a spaceship with Jaws.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:18 PM

Default Vintagecatcher's Current Top Ten

Here are my first five favorites:

1. John Tiedemann T4 Obak Cabinet
2. Chief Meyers Philadelphia Evening Times Supplement
3. George Gibson D322 Tip Top Bread
4. George Gibson E125 American Caramel Diecut
5. George Gibson PC796 Sepia Postcard

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smallerjt.jpg (47.5 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg MEYERS M-UNC PHILADELPHIA EVENING TIMES SUPPLEMENT.jpg (16.5 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg D322.jpg (22.4 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg E125.jpg (11.8 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg PC796.jpg (12.7 KB, 132 views)
Old 07-14-2011, 04:29 PM

Default Vintagecatcher's Current Top Ten

Here are 6-10:

6. Clarence Brooks E136-3 Home Run Kisses
7. Red Kleinow T3 Turkey Red Cabinet
8. John Tiedemann T212-3 Obak
9. Mike Powers T206
10 Ted Easterly E145-2 Cracker Jack

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BROOKSHRK2.jpg (39.1 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg T3.jpg (13.8 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg T212 3 TIEDEMAN.jpg (24.5 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg T206POWERSWHITEBORDER.jpg (21.3 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg E145EASTERLY.jpg (75.2 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 07-14-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:07 AM
Arnie

I think we need to show how classy we are, and that baseball is classy, so we need to show cards of players in classy poses like these: