NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 01-18-2023, 06:19 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default New NFL Playoff OT Rules Discussion

Sorry for the long read!

(Note: There are other ancillary rules involved that don't impact the main point I am looking for opinions on, so I've left them out.)

Starting with the 2022-2023 season, all playoff games that advance to overtime will follow these revised rules:
• If a game is tied at the end of regulation, the referee will toss a coin to determine which team will possess the ball first in overtime. The visiting team captain will call the toss.
• Both teams will have an opportunity to possess the football.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When looking at this new set-up, a very important decision immediately becomes clear. Does the team 'winning' the coin toss accept the kickoff or defer and allow their opponent to have the first possession?
Time and again I've seen the 'experts' weigh in and say, "You should definitely defer!" That annoys me a bit, because these talking heads seem to exist in a vacuum.

I'm not positive what the best decision is, but it should definitely come down to each individual team's strengths/weaknesses on both sides of the ball - offense and defense.

(I am weighing this decision under the assumption that the first team with the ball WILL score.)

• My first thought is give me that ball first. Number one, I want my team controlling the action (especially in a home game), with the coach basically saying, "I believe in you guys!"
Number two (no crap jokes), your defense gets a bit of a rest after a long, hard fought game, while the other team's 'D' has to get back out there.

But here's my breakdown:

- Say you defer and your opponent scores via an FG or TD. When you get the ball back, now any mistake you make will cost you the game and end your season - a turnover, a missed fourth down conversion, bad penalties, etc. Although these teams are skilled professionals, I would rather put that monumental sudden-death pressure on the other team.

- But say you don't defer and your team takes the kickoff and is able to move down the field and grab three or seven points. Now that awful pressure is on the other team and the crowd will be monstrously disruptive, going bananas for your 'D'!!! Keep 'em from scoring and you win the game!!!

Buffalo
The Bills are my team, and Josh Allen is often a miracle worker, but his heroics do lead to (many) turnovers. If something like that happens when they have the ball first, it can still be overcome by their defense holding. But if their opponent has the opening possession in OT and scores, then a pick/fumble would have bugles playing 'Taps' all along Lake Erie...so give me the damn ball first!!!!

What's your opinion?
Insert the team/teams you're rooting for into your reasoning if you can.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:18 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

Also, if I am understanding the rule correctly, if the first team scores, second team gets its possession. If they tie it up, it goes back to the first team and next score wins. So, if you defer and play "even" through the first possession on each side, the other team will have the ball and only needs to get in FG range to win the game. I would rather have the ball in a sudden death situation - unless the only way my team scores is on takeaways.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:54 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

That's what adds so much intrigue to the decision. There are so many different factors to consider, like a tie after each team has had the ball. That would put the first team to have the ball in OT in the driver's seat now.

Or say a team has a killer 'D,' then (even if tired) I would defer and have them on the field first to put the pressure on the other squad. A turnover or a stop after a small amount of yardage gained could very much lead to a victory.

The number of variables is dizzying!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:07 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I agree and like the new rules.
There is alot of strategy but to me I would want my team to have the ball first

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-19-2023, 06:14 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

The advantage of deferring is then you know exactly what you need to win. Stop the opponent and a FG wins it, the coach can call plays or make decision based on that.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:22 AM
Steve Birmingham

The options are many.

Is your team an offense driven team or defensive?

Which was on the field last, and how did it go.
If my offense had just tied it up and their defense seemed to not have the answers, no way I'd defer.
But if it had been tied, and I had an excellent defense that had stopped the other side throughout the fourth quarter? Maybe, especially if the other team had just had a drive stopped to end regulation. Keep the tired offense that just stalled on the field.

Another thought is that pro athletes should be conditioned well enough to handle a few more minutes of play. So what would actually matter is what that period of time and being stopped did to them mentally.
Old 01-21-2023, 03:52 PM
Eric Perry

Give me the ball.

I play to win. I'll never play not to lose.

Stuff it down the other team's throat. March down the field and punch it into the end zone.

Stick your opponent in a, "put up or shut up...and go home" situation.

Never play scared.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 01-21-2023 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:12 PM
Steve White

Default NFL Playoff Overtime

What would happen if the first team went for and made a two-point conversion? Lot more pressure on the second team when its their possession. Like you have already mentioned a lot of possibilities.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:40 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

It would be interesting to see.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-22-2023, 11:35 AM
Bob C.

What will be most interesting for me to see is what Belichick's team does the very first time they are in this situation and they end up winning the toss and get to decide.