NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-15-2022, 01:55 PM
James Gallo

Default My Boston Store Collins McCarthy Dilemma

Some of you that have been around a while have seen me posting about the Boston Store set I have been trying to build for nearly 15 years. I fell into a group of 61 cards and decided to build the set but I had no idea at the time what an undertaking it would be. These backs are far rarer then the standard Collins McCarthy backs by roughly a 2-1 margin.

So after all this time I have finally managed to only need 8 cards

71-Heilmainn
95-Lavan
134-Pip
142-Ruth
163-Smith
173 C Thomas
179-Witt
194-Wood

Now this is where the problem begins, there are a couple of the needed cards on ebay but they are way over priced. That aside the Ruth card is the issue at hand as there are far less BS Ruth's then Collins McCarthy. I have not seen a Boston Store Ruth on the market ever, in addition the value of this card has gone wacky so the couple low grade CM examples that have turned up in the last year have gone for between 40K-95K.

SO my issue here is only in part cost of the card but there is NO availability so back the the Dilemma.

The Last Huggins & Scott Auction had a group of 112 Collins McCarthy cards as well as a Ruth so I thought why not cross over to the CM backs it would make completing the set easier and cheaper to some degree and the Ruth is here. After taking a look at the card and thinking on it, I decided not to bid on the miscut Ruth card but still proceed to buy the group of 112 card lot.

SO, now I have a nearly complete mid grade Boston Store set and over half a Collins McCarthy set.

Completing the Boston Store set may just not ever be possible both because of no Ruth cards and the cost of it if one came to market. Even if one turned up I could only afford a lower grade example similar to the recent CM examples (I think the lowest graded known are a 2 or so).

Or I can sell the Boston Store Set and build the Collins set or I can sell it all and buy something else like rebuilding my Cracker Jack Set.

Sorry if this is a bit disjointed but I wanted to get some thoughts and of course if anyone has any of the Boston Store Cards I need do let me know as I may have a Collins back to trade or other trade options (or will buy it outright). I just hate to get stalled with a card that just may never be available and at least with the Collin set it would be possible to complete.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

James G
Old 12-15-2022, 02:50 PM
Howard Chasser

Default My thoughts

I should start by saying I am a very patient/persistent collector/person. I am also a fan of tough sets like the Boston store cards.

If it were me, I would -

1) Definitely continue the collection of the Boston Store cards accepting that it is going to be painfully slow going from here on out.

2) Consider filling the holes in the Boston Store set with the CM cards till I got the BS examples and sell off the rest or

3) If I liked "actively" collecting, perhaps build the CM set to give me something to actively work on.

Could always modify the above based on when the "right" Ruth appears - whichever one that is for you.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 12-15-2022, 03:02 PM

I agree with Howard. I would full the BS holes with CMs (or Standard Biscuit, not that its easier). At least that way you can complete the 1917 set on front and stay open to getting the balance in BS.

BTW, I own this. Its one of my favorite cards. It cost me an arm and a leg, but I could be convinced to sell it for two arms, one leg, and a head!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1917, Ruth, Boston Store - Front.jpg (171.6 KB, 511 views)
File Type: jpg 1917, Ruth, Boston Store - Back.jpg (171.9 KB, 513 views)
Old 12-15-2022, 03:35 PM

In some of the cases you might want to consider Holsum Bread.
Old 12-15-2022, 05:31 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I agree with the idea of first complete the frontal run of all players than replace /upgrade with the Boston Store Ad back.

Either way great set and great collecting

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 12-15-2022, 05:39 PM
Val Kehl

James, I say "in for a penny, in for a pound." Now that you have substantial collections of both BS and CM cards, I suggest you not only work on completing both sets, but also start collecting the other 1917 sets (), such as:
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 12-15-2022, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
In some of the cases you might want to consider Holsum Bread.
With the difference in font, I would think the Holsum Bread (font similar to E121) would look out of place alongside all the Boston Store (E135 type font) cards.

Brian
Old 12-15-2022, 08:48 PM
pete ullman

i remember many years ago a boston store ruth...raw on ebay...I tried to get my dad to go halfsies on it with me...he had no interest. I can't remember what it sold for...maybe 20K? It was nice!
Old 12-15-2022, 08:52 PM
James Gallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I agree with Howard. I would full the BS holes with CMs (or Standard Biscuit, not that its easier). At least that way you can complete the 1917 set on front and stay open to getting the balance in BS.

BTW, I own this. Its one of my favorite cards. It cost me an arm and a leg, but I could be convinced to sell it for two arms, one leg, and a head!
Truly an amazing card there and probably not one i could chase which adds to the problem as anyone thar has this card loves this cards and you have an amazing example.

I have a few blank backs and a Holsum as well just prefer to have a matching set which doesnt seem possible now or anytime in the future 😔

James G
Old 12-16-2022, 07:23 AM
Frank Wakefield

The strategy of completing the fronts, and then swapping in Boston Store cards sounds sensible.

A factor would be where you are in the collecting chronology; will you be collecting in 15 years? Are you getting close to gradually selling??

Stay the course... where did we hear that? If you sell off the Boston Store cards as a bunch, within a few months you'll see a Ruth sell at auction for what you consider a good price for you. And you'll regret selling those cards.

'tis a dilemma, wish you well with it.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post

How about trading it for my house?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trailer.jpg (46.9 KB, 345 views)
Old 12-16-2022, 08:38 AM
Steve Birmingham

Pretty much all prewar sets I've had to realize that because of money and/or lack of focus I'll never complete them.

Getting into a niche in a different hobby has gotten me way more comfortable with that, the niche, despite being in a very mature hobby is sort of like card collecting decades ago, only a rudimentary "checklist" and even after way over 100 years there are still new discoveries. In a way, while "completing the set" according to the catalog may sort of be possible* it actually isn't.

So having a very good collection is about the best anyone can do. Yes, there are those occasional "superstar" items I won't ever be able to get because of the cost.

I've always been a very slow collector because I collect most sets. Some far more actively than others. I've been "working" on the 76 topps set since... 76. Added a few more back in November. Of course I could just buy the few I need, but where's the fun in that?

I'd say if you can afford to, keep both, and add as they come up. As others have said, adding to the Boston Store ones when you can, and maybe expanding into related brands if you need to have a bit of action in adding cards.

The catalog lists varieties that in one case haven't been seen since the 1930's and might be a different thing misunderstood, and in a couple others, varieties that are unknown today and the source for the listing is also unknown. Meanwhile there are common major varieties that aren't listed at all.... Making the "checklist" pretty much impossible to know if it's complete or not.
I have 3 potential candidates for two of the not seen in decades varieties, but need to find a second identical example to prove they aren't just random weirdnes.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:44 AM

Default Val Kehl bite your tongue!

We don't need more Standard Biscuit collectors. We need fewer. In fact, you should sell me that Sam Rice. Does James even know about the Standard Biscuit curse?

James, I agree with Val. You should add Weil Baking.

In all seriousness, I can't imagine only needing a handful of BS cards to complete the set. I think you would regret parting with those. I'm sure it's an incredible collection to see. Keep going. Here are a couple from my small collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg item_89990_1_207801.jpg (185.4 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg item_89992_1_207775.jpg (188.4 KB, 322 views)
Old 12-16-2022, 11:52 AM
Todd Schultz

James,

I agree with the idea of completing the fronts regardless of back, and then sub in the Boston Stores as they become available. Actually, this is the way I approach my m101 sets-- Ideally I want a complete set of 200 with all of the various ad backs represented, including any variations. Of course I face the same obstacle as you-- Babe Ruth-- who is likely even more expensive although at least available. It is almost a certainty that I too will never complete the set, but I'm not inclined to give up either. Hang in there!

I am a little different than you in that I hoard the cards with various backs-- I have a half dozen or so of several players. So if you're thinking about collecting both Boston Store and the CM sets, watch out that you don't get too caught up in that fool's errand like me.

I once started the Boston Store set around the turn of the century, but gave up and sold the 15-20 or so I had, leaving just this lone example-- the very first one I bought (raw):
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 12-16-2022, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
How about trading it for my house?
Its a fair offer. However, I have several of those and dont need more duplicates!
Old 01-14-2023, 07:12 PM

Default Standard biscuit 16 card set

I have a set of 16 standard biscuit baseball cards, including a graded Hans Wagner. I still need to grade 12 more cards. I plan on selling them. Feel free to message me if you are interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C95B2915-39E8-4A73-B776-6CD0AA36A07E.jpg (199.9 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 15A8C773-4BDF-4A1A-B898-3A5A2C78314E.jpg (199.2 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg 4D800F00-D40F-43D6-BEE9-6DF1748B1657.jpg (201.3 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg 8FA755D2-A2A3-4498-AF47-369FCC2003C0.jpg (201.7 KB, 201 views)
Old 01-14-2023, 08:39 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
I have a set of 16 standard biscuit baseball cards, including a graded Hans Wagner. I still need to grade 12 more cards. I plan on selling them. Feel free to message me if you are interested.
Very nice Standard Biscuits

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 01-15-2023, 01:22 AM
David McDonald

I hope you do not abandon your Boston Store endeavour. You've already come so far. I can offer you Wally Pipp and get you closer. Don't want any body parts but a couple of 1909 Obaks off my want list would be sweet.

I'll send better scans when I get a minute. The card is more black-and-white in hand and the dark shmutzy shadows are much less pronounced. The back is clean.

Wally Pipp was in the Yankee line-up at an old timers' game I attended in 1959. I get a kick out of telling folks I saw him play.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Timers Day 1959.jpg (200.6 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg OTG 1959.jpg (173.5 KB, 143 views)
Old 01-15-2023, 08:30 AM

I agree with David, hoping you don’t give up the attempt on the standard biscuit set. Here is a 1916 Biscuit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B634A007-D9B9-4479-8CEA-A7A84210EF90.jpg (136.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 59263F95-8B8C-4967-99FE-7953683BCE3B.jpg (147.5 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 01-15-2023 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:10 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Very nice cards and love those standard biscuits

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth

Last edited by mrreality68; 01-15-2023 at 09:14 AM.