NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 12-23-2022, 11:13 AM

Default 1991 Topps Desert Shield Packs

I have 32+/- 1991 Topps Desert Shield packs; 16 "authenticated" by BBCE a while back (they no longer authenticate packs) and 16 raw that I purchased a while ago.

Packs have been stored in heat sealed wrapping to prevent moisture from damaging the gum/packs. I've been toying with opening up some of the raw packs to check on the damage, if any to the cards as well as to see how they would grade out.

While I was inspecting the packs, I noticed a spot where the packs were sealed "glowed" under UV light. I never noticed this before. We previously determined Topps was experimenting with ink brighteners during the printing of this set - but this is a first for me.

Does anyone have a regular 1991 Topps pack they can check under black light to see if it also glows? Just curious if both packs glowed under black light.
Old 12-23-2022, 11:57 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
I have 32+/- 1991 Topps Desert Shield packs; 16 "authenticated" by BBCE a while back (they no longer authenticate packs) and 16 raw that I purchased a while ago.

Packs have been stored in heat sealed wrapping to prevent moisture from damaging the gum/packs. I've been toying with opening up some of the raw packs to check on the damage, if any to the cards as well as to see how they would grade out.

While I was inspecting the packs, I noticed a spot where the packs were sealed "glowed" under UV light. I never noticed this before. We previously determined Topps was experimenting with ink brighteners during the printing of this set - but this is a first for me.

Does anyone have a regular 1991 Topps pack they can check under black light to see if it also glows? Just curious if both packs glowed under black light.
Does it glow on both the authenticated and non authenticated packs? Is it glue that glows or the wrapper itself?

The closest I have is 89 and 90 Topps DoubleHeader packs and they do not glow on the flaps were sealed.

Hopefully someone with some regular wax packs can help you out.
Old 12-23-2022, 12:08 PM

Ben,

The BBCE authenticated packs have a seal over the "glow" spot, so I can't tell.
Old 12-23-2022, 12:14 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Ben,

The BBCE authenticated packs have a seal over the "glow" spot, so I can't tell.
LOL, isn't that how it usually works.

To save an email Chipper started his voyage a couple hours ago.
Old 12-23-2022, 01:21 PM
Al Richter

I have a couple of boxes unopened 91s . The ones I checked do not seem to glow under black light but to be honest I am not sure what I am supposed to be looking for or at
Old 12-23-2022, 01:28 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I have a couple of boxes unopened 91s . The ones I checked do not seem to glow under black light but to be honest I am not sure what I am supposed to be looking for or at
I believe on the back where the top flab of the pack is glued down.
Old 12-23-2022, 01:44 PM

Al,

There is a UV receptive substance added to the bottom of the top flap of the closed pack. The packs are wrapped in a hot selaed plastic wrap, so the UV glowing spot is not as easy to see.

See pic below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flap 2 Reduced.jpg (192.1 KB, 253 views)
Old 12-23-2022, 01:45 PM

Ok, I opened a pack. Here is the underside of the flap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glow Flap Reduced.jpg (82.6 KB, 252 views)
Old 12-23-2022, 01:56 PM
Ben North

Quote:
So it is the glue used to seal the pack then? That would be my guess anyway.

Are there any star players in the pack and what condition are the cards in?

Last edited by bnorth; 12-23-2022 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-23-2022, 02:01 PM

I am not sure. There certainly isn't a "dried glue" feel to it.

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 12-23-2022 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-24-2022, 06:12 PM

Quote:
how'd you do in the pack?
Old 12-26-2022, 07:54 AM

Ben,

Per previous discussions, glue seems to be rolled on in other 90's era packs. I am wondering if this glowing wax or glue spot is a method to tell which 91 Topps packs are DS packs. I guess I am going to have to buy some other packs and experiment.

Hockey - no Chipper...but got a Ricky Henderson and Bo Jackson.
Old 12-27-2022, 03:33 PM

Woah, this could be a big time development.
Old 12-27-2022, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Ben,

Per previous discussions, glue seems to be rolled on in other 90's era packs. I am wondering if this glowing wax or glue spot is a method to tell which 91 Topps packs are DS packs. I guess I am going to have to buy some other packs and experiment.

Hockey - no Chipper...but got a Ricky Henderson and Bo Jackson.
wow, sweet. congrats!

and a very interesting development indeed.
Old 12-29-2022, 11:06 AM

It seems like the glowing mark is an artifact of the pack being search and then resealed 20+ years ago. I have talked emailed a number of people since the original post, including BBCE. BBCE is familiar with glowing spots on the pack but could not determine anything from it. They indicated the other DS packs FASC do NOT have a glowing mark on the back of the pack.

Interesting though, they use the trait discovered by Joe R and discussed in detail in previous DS threads about using a blacklight to help identify DS cards.
Old 01-07-2023, 02:04 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
It seems like the glowing mark is an artifact of the pack being search and then resealed 20+ years ago. I have talked emailed a number of people since the original post, including BBCE. BBCE is familiar with glowing spots on the pack but could not determine anything from it. They indicated the other DS packs FASC do NOT have a glowing mark on the back of the pack.

Interesting though, they use the trait discovered by Joe R and discussed in detail in previous DS threads about using a blacklight to help identify DS cards.
Good stuff, Zach