NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-25-2022, 01:35 PM

Default T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps

This baseball centennial stamp from 1939 got me thinking about T330-2s and how I'd like to add one to my type collection one day. My question is has anyone ever seen the albums they were meant to be placed in? thx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221125_153008.jpg (194.4 KB, 643 views)
File Type: jpg 20221125_153021.jpg (186.6 KB, 646 views)
Old 11-25-2022, 05:23 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete zouras View Post
This baseball centennial stamp from 1939 got me thinking about T330-2s and how I'd like to add one to my type collection one day. My question is has anyone ever seen the albums they were meant to be placed in? thx
Makes sense that there would be, but are you sure there were any?
Old 11-25-2022, 05:31 PM

I don't think they had any type of media to put them in, not only did they do baseball, but also several other genre's, all of which are very difficult to find.

But you never know, I found a 1940's Dixie Lid booklet recently, meant to house 24 lids to be redeemed for a premium that has never been mentioned before.
Old 11-25-2022, 07:53 PM
Tom Boblitt

agree with Scott....no albums. At least any I've ever seen. I collect all the other types OTHER than baseball. I used to have about 40 BB at one time but sold them years ago. They're all super tough but none have the $$ as the BB.
Old 11-25-2022, 09:06 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I don't have any T330-2s but I do collect baseball postage stamps. There are several pre-1950 baseball themed postage stamps and they were featured in Old Cardboard #32. I've been able to acquire all but one of them due to the Colombia issue usually being found as part of a 16 stamp set that sells for around $1K when you can find it. Here is a link to my page that shows the stamps I do have so far (including post-1950 stamps). Interestingly the first baseball themed postage stamp was actually a 1934 Philippines issue.

https://cobbspikedme.yolasite.com/baseball-stamps.php

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here

Last edited by CobbSpikedMe; 11-26-2022 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-26-2022, 07:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
I don't have any T330-2s but I do collect baseball postage stamps. There are several pre-1950 baseball themed postage stamps and they were featured in Old Carboard #32. I've been able to acquire all but one of them due to the Colombia issue usually being found as part of a 16 stamp set that sells for around $1K when you can find it. Here is a link to my page that shows the stamps I do have so far (including post-1950 stamps). Interestingly the first baseball themed postage stamp was actually a 1934 Philippines issue.

https://cobbspikedme.yolasite.com/baseball-stamps.php

Those stamps on your website are cool. Nice job!

I have never seen any kind of album for T330-2s either. That said, it does offer one on their backs.

Last edited by Leon; 11-26-2022 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-26-2022, 07:50 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have never seen any kind of album for T330-2s either. That said, it does offer one on their backs.
Another hobby mystery.
Old 11-26-2022, 08:00 AM
Ben Gehler

Love the, Grimm's Tales ones;
this is my "Hansel & Gretel".
Agree with above on the albums; never seen one.

Ben

"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."
Old 11-26-2022, 08:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Another hobby mystery.
A little googling found this. I think one day we will see one similar to this. This was put out by a different company but does mention some Piedmont stamps.,.

http://collections.mnhs.org/cms/disp...182521&return=

and another

https://5008.sydneyplus.com/HistoryC...f-4c563d68b574

Last edited by Leon; 11-26-2022 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:30 AM

Doh, it's right there on the back, I was completely wrong, obviously they offered one, now lets find one!
Old 11-27-2022, 04:57 AM
Gary McNabb

Default Piedmont Art Stamps

These are so rare, I've seen these being offered for sale just once in my collecting life time. I was lucky to pick up these three for my Highlander type collection !

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151843924@N04/albums
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fullsizeoutput_2a9c.jpeg (47.4 KB, 492 views)

Last edited by garymc; 11-27-2022 at 05:02 AM.
Old 11-27-2022, 03:02 PM
Ron Rice

Default T330-2

Here are most of the ones from my collection. Hard to find in higher condition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11 21 2015 pics T330-2 a.jpg (53.6 KB, 469 views)
File Type: jpg 11 21 2015 pics T330-2 b.jpg (51.2 KB, 465 views)
Old 11-29-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridwell View Post
Here are most of the ones from my collection. Hard to find in higher condition.
It is true, as they quite often can look like this (though I am partial to the stamp's appearance despite its flaws, and the fact that this artwork for Killifer is not found in the T205 and T202 sets).

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t205art258.jpg (109.0 KB, 441 views)
Old 11-30-2022, 11:40 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
It is true, as they quite often can look like this (though I am partial to the stamp's appearance despite its flaws, and the fact that this artwork for Killifer is not found in the T205 and T202 sets).

Brian
Interesting point and observation Brian. Though there are obvious similarities, the images shared across the T205 gold border cards, T202 triple folder card end panels, S74-1 and S74-2 white and colored version silks, respectively, and these T330-2 Piedmont art stamps, are not all exactly identical images. Along with the checklists themselves, there were many differences, changes, and variations made to these player images across this extremely diverse and eclectic group of issues they ended up appearing on. I can't think of any other baseball card images used across such a unique group of items/issues, can anyone else? And am I forgetting any other then contemporary sets/issues that these same or similar images appeared on? Keep thinking I'm forgetting something.

Anyway, my point/question is, has anyone ever tried to sit down and document all the differences and variations in the images used across all these different sets? Would be interesting to see how that would turn out.

Also then, from a collecting standpoint we have people who collect back runs of certain players, like with T206 advertising backs or E/F-card player runs across multiple issues, along with things like front runs of all the different colors appearing on the front of a particular player's E98 cards. But I've never seen or heard of anyone who ever did, or even tried, to put together a player run of these same/similar Piedmont art stamp images across all these vastly different sets. And just imagine if someone did try, and even took it a step further, say working on a player's master image run to include all the different advertising backs that could be found on their S74-1 white silks and/or all the different colors their S74-2 colored silks were made with. Could be quite a neat little niche collecting goal for someone.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:52 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I cannot imagine trying to get a run of a specific subject across all of that, Bob. I am guessing the quest would outlive me. As for T330-2, I can only offer this:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-30-2022, 12:29 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:

Brian
True Brian, but as you may know the artwork seems to be the same used for Killifer in his Cracker Jack cards from about the same time, or is at least highly similar:
https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-c...Auction-120115

Still, according to Lipset, Killefer is the only subject whose pose is different from T205 or T202, so you've got yourself a good one there!

P.S. Curiously, Killifer does not appear at all in the P2 pins, Px7 Domino disks or S74 silks that all used the T202/t205 pose.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 11-30-2022 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:38 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

I have been able to accumulate 48 over the years. I liked the days when you could buy the damaged ones for $10. The Tinker is the nicest one I have ever seen, not sure how you get a better grade. I have seen a few 5s but are not even close to this one. usually some wear on the edges. Love the set!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Piedmont Stamps Lrg.jpg (51.3 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg T330CobbSGC10.jpg (157.3 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg T330Tinker.jpg (28.6 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg T330MattySGC10.jpg (140.3 KB, 376 views)
Old 11-30-2022, 08:17 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
True Brian, but as you may know the artwork seems to be the same used for Killifer in his Cracker Jack cards from about the same time, or is at least highly similar:

Still, according to Lipset, Killefer is the only subject whose pose is different from T205 or T202, so you've got yourself a good one there!

P.S. Curiously, Killifer does not appear at all in the P2 pins, Px7 Domino disks or S74 silks that all used the T202/t205 pose.
Ugh, always forget about the P2 pins and PX7 Domino discs. Since they only used the head shots on the pins/discs and don't show any of the somewhat elaborate borders that were on many of the cards, I forget the images are all from same source. Thanks for the reminder.

Didn't know that about Killefer either, interesting. Now I definitely want to take a better look and see about any other differences that may exist across the images in these sets. And also going to see about getting a player image run across all these sets as well. That might be fun to put together.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:17 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post

Ugh, always forget about the P2 pins and PX7 Domino discs. Since they only used the head shots on the pins/discs and don't show any of the somewhat elaborate borders that were on many of the cards, I forget the images are all from same source. Thanks for the reminder.

Didn't know that about Killefer either, interesting. Now I definitely want to take a better look and see about any other differences that may exist across the images in these sets. And also going to see about getting a player image run across all these sets as well. That might be fun to put together.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post

Have fun with that Bob. And Todd, thanks for showing that Cracker Jacks card of Killifer. It certainly looks like they used the same photo as a base for Killifer's artwork in each set.

Brian
Old 11-30-2022, 10:34 PM
Todd Schultz

Upon reflection, it makes sense that Killefer is not in the disks, pins and silks sets, since he is not in the T202 or T205 sets either. Seems he hadn't made his mark until becoming a regular in 1913.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Nice run, Lee. That Tinker is off the charts....These are so tough in anything above a 2. Mine are ungraded but this might make a 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Sports Auctions View Post
I have been able to accumulate 48 over the years. I liked the days when you could buy the damaged ones for $10. The Tinker is the nicest one I have ever seen, not sure how you get a better grade. I have seen a few 5s but are not even close to this one. usually some wear on the edges. Love the set!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t330walsh2.jpg (95.6 KB, 350 views)
Old 12-01-2022, 03:31 PM

The only ones I have left, one HOFer of each factory and one with the original packaging coupon stuck to the gummed back. Could be removed but why?? It's the only coupon I have seen for these, but there are likely others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img300.jpg (183.2 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg img301.jpg (186.3 KB, 336 views)
Old 12-01-2022, 03:55 PM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
The only ones I have left, one HOFer of each factory and one with the original packaging coupon stuck to the gummed back. Could be removed but why?? It's the only coupon I have seen for these, but there are likely others.
That Coupon is awesome Scott.
Thank you for sharing.

Ben

Old 12-02-2022, 01:17 PM
John

I love the T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps and have always been on the lookout for an album...I have a total of 41 stamps...38 are different...here are my 9 HoFers as well Blair, Killifer and Wood that are not in the T205 set

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by orioles70; 12-02-2022 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-02-2022, 05:28 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles70 View Post
I love the T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps and have always been on the lookout for an album...I have a total of 41 stamps...39 are different...here are my 9 HoFers as well Blair, Killifer and Wood that are not in the T205 set

Phenomenal!

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 12-02-2022, 05:39 PM
John

Pic of my Cobb

Old 12-02-2022, 10:27 PM
Ron Rice

Default T330-2

Those are great!
Old 12-02-2022, 11:13 PM

Great stamps everyone!

Here is a question for those that are extra familiar with this issue. Until this thread I didn't realize that there are two different Piedmont factories (25 and 42) that issued these. Are the factory 42 stamps similar in scarcity vs. the factory 25 stamps, as it is for both the T206 and T205 sets?

Brian
Old 12-03-2022, 04:31 AM

Brian, yes tougher, but don't demand a lot of extra premium(yet).
Old 12-03-2022, 02:44 PM
Hank Thomas

Had me a nice WaJo at one point, always thought they were really pretty.
Old 12-05-2022, 05:15 PM

A member of a facebook group notified me of this thread earlier after I posted some photos of my two Hal Chases there. I've seen a couple of the "Hal Chase" on front variation, but I haven't seen any one ear variations here yet. So here's both. As a Chase collector, I'm proud to own both of these tough cards.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2022, 05:27 PM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by realbigfatdog View Post
A member of a facebook group notified me of this thread earlier after I posted some photos of my two Hal Chases there. I've seen a couple of the "Hal Chase" on front variation, but I haven't seen any one ear variations here yet. So here's both. As a Chase collector, I'm proud to own both of these tough cards.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Mike,
that, "one ear" is a beaut.
Thank you for sharing.
Ben

Old 12-19-2022, 01:05 PM
Greg

Love the set, if anyone has a Zack Wheat I would be immensely interested in working out a deal for it. The only one I own:

Roy Campanella
Zack Wheat
Pre-War
Jackie, Ruth, Cobb, Tickets, Type 1 Photos, Trout

http://plaschkethysweaterisargyle.blogspot.com

Roy Campanella PC
Zack Wheat PC
Random Vintage
T206s

Successful Net54 Transactions: 10
Old 12-20-2022, 01:02 AM

Because almost all of his noggin is showing on the front, and some of the text still exists on the back, along with the bonus inclusion of some cool, foil-like tape, this Piedmont Art Stamp of Archer in my collection is proudly self-graded to be AAI (Authentically As Is).

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t330archer 001 (376x640).jpg (119.0 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg t330archerback 002 (374x640).jpg (112.8 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 12-20-2022 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12-23-2022, 07:53 PM
Val Kehl

The only other collector who I think would be thrilled to have this T330-2 of WaJo is brianp-beme (hi Brian - hope all is going well for you). Actually, the two sections of this T330-2 are from two separate WaJo stamps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T330-2 WaJo in 2 sections - front.jpg (125.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg T330-2 WaJo in 2 sections - back.jpg (143.3 KB, 83 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 12-24-2022, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
The only other collector who I think would be thrilled to have this T330-2 of WaJo is brianp-beme (hi Brian - hope all is going well for you). Actually, the two sections of this T330-2 are from two separate WaJo stamps!
Thanks for thinking about me Val when you posted the T330-2 Walter Johnson. Something like this just makes the collector in me smile. I figure that at one point someone had the top section, and came across another copy that was all messed up but had a nice bottom. A nice slicing cut on that bottom portion approximating the ragged angle at the bottom of the top section, and presto, you have a practically complete and serviceable example of a big name hall of famer.

Brian
Old 12-24-2022, 04:29 AM

Default I can't help thinking

of John Wayne Bobbitt and the similar piecing together of his Johnson--a junk-era reference some of the younger members of the board may need to look up.

That must be a hard card for Val to have accepted into his Johnson collection in that condition.

Happy Holidays!

Last edited by pete zouras; 12-24-2022 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-24-2022, 11:52 AM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Thanks for thinking about me Val when you posted the T330-2 Walter Johnson. Something like this just makes the collector in me smile. I figure that at one point someone had the top section, and came across another copy that was all messed up but had a nice bottom. A nice slicing cut on that bottom portion approximating the ragged angle at the bottom of the top section, and presto, you have a practically complete and serviceable example of a big name hall of famer.

Brian
Brian, what you figured is pretty much spot on, except that the two WaJo sections were together when I acquired them at the 1916 Atlantic City National, and there were sections of a couple other T330-2s stuck to the back of the WaJo sections. In hindsight, if I had used a different approach to separating all the sections (e.g., soaking), I might have ended up with a slightly better top section of WaJo. here is what the front of this piece looked like when I got it (I didn't take a scan of the back side when I got it).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T330-2 WaJo as bought.jpg (63.6 KB, 51 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.