NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-10-2022, 04:44 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Default Are vintage basketball cards market saturated?

Are vintage basketball cards market saturated? Here is one example

Goldiin auction ends last nite: Reserve not met, final bid $285,000

https://goldin.co/item/1961-62-fleer...sa-mint-9314ok

The same card sold at Collectable for $350,000.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:15 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Card wouldn't get a 9 nowadays due to the 70/30 top-to-bottom centering. Surely that played into it not getting any higher bids. It really looks nice, otherwise.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:21 PM
J@E R1T0

Agreed, the otherwise beautiful Chamberlain is a bit too off centered to bring the record dollars. Chamberlain is a strong investment, wait 16 months, hope the market doesn’t crash, post again.

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:45 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Thx for the analysis, i guess whoever paid $350k for it only bought a PSA 9 holder.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:16 PM
A@ron V@!llan©️our⍑

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
Thx for the analysis, i guess whoever paid $350k for it only bought a PSA 9 holder.
Well, since their ask didn't get hit they technically haven't lost a penny yet! "Only too soon, never too much" and all that.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:21 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

There's a lot of Fleer in nice shape (notwithstanding centering), more so than Bowman or 1957 Topps. Pre-1969 basketball is a backwater of regional, local and team issues, since there were only two mainstream sets during the first 20 years of the league's operations (excluding the NBL and 1948 Bowman). Those regional-local-team issues range from scarce to rare, so no saturation there.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-10-2022, 06:58 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

To get back to the OPs original question, I think it’s very possible that the vintage market is saturated. Seems to me like a lot of vintage basketball, especially ultra high end, is getting auctioned over and over in the last 18 months or so. If the prime driver of these price surges is flippers vs. collectors, I could see prices taking a decent dip pretty soon.

Feels like supply is significantly increasing and most of the demand is manufactured quick $ flippers. Someone has to hang onto these purchases at some point.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:23 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Much of this high end stuff is playing musical chairs from auction house to auction house push pump redo. All a game.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:37 PM
Ethan

Default Vintage

Same argument could be made for vintage baseball. Same blue chip cards selling in the same auctions over and over again.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:41 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnVT View Post
Same argument could be made for vintage baseball. Same blue chip cards selling in the same auctions over and over again.
True Statement……
Old 01-10-2022, 08:26 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Much of this high end stuff is playing musical chairs from auction house to auction house push pump redo. All a game.
I agree with this assessment.

Regarding the question posed by the OP:

If you're referring to "saturated" in terms of current supply vs. current demand, the mass exodus of recent hobby newcomers is likely exerting a short-term negative influence on the market. I don't believe this will last long, though. The amount of vintage basketball available isn't really that much.

In terms of actual quantity, vintage basketball cards are in significantly lower supply than baseball cards from the same era. They're in somewhat lower supply than football cards, too. At least, that's the conclusion I drew from an admittedly quick glance at PSA Pop Reports.

While that might be mildly interesting, try comparing vintage basketball pop counts to those of modern cards. It puts things into perspective very quickly. Here's a benumbing statistic:

There are roughly the same number of PSA 10 Zion Prizm Base Rookies as every single 1957 Topps basketball card they've ever graded. Let that sink in. One version, of one card, from one set, in one grade.

So, relatively speaking, vintage basketball is a tiny drop in the overall hobby bucket.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 01-10-2022 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:21 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Anyone who paid massive dollars for a Zion card ought to be a little concerned. Just sayin.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Anyone who paid massive dollars for a Zion card ought to be a little concerned. Just sayin.
Or 800k for a Jordan.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:27 AM
J@E R1T0

No doubt, MODERN basketball is saturated. Still hard to find much of the vintage stuff, i.e. pre-1975

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Old 01-11-2022, 10:34 AM
Tony Conte

The prices can't keep going straight up forever.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:57 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
No doubt, MODERN basketball is saturated. Still hard to find much of the vintage stuff, i.e. pre-1975
This here.

The vintage is limited and I agree that this playing the game by auction house musical chairs. I think a market correction in all sports will take place in the next couple years as collectables are going to get hit hard as a tax shelter with the 600 dollar reporting. Modern will get designated as 90s junk wax values for 2015+ and vintage will go back to the prices of 5 years ago. Personal opinion.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:31 AM
octavio ranzola

Ive been buying vintage hockey i love it . Not easy
Old 01-11-2022, 12:13 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconte View Post
The prices can't keep going straight up forever.
Definitely right. Seen a lot of speculators grab up 86 Fleer in hopes of striking gold. Unfortunately, those prices have fallen like a rock. Too much supply and now little demand.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:18 PM
J@E R1T0

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Definitely right. Seen a lot of speculators grab up 86 Fleer in hopes of striking gold. Unfortunately, those prices have fallen like a rock. Too much supply and now little demand.
I agree there is a large supply of 1986 Fleer basketball, but "fallen like a rock"? Maybe a slight cool down, but I haven't seen that. Folks are still paying $200 for a PSA 8 Larry Bird, >$1,000 for a PSA 9 Barkley, and Jordan still strong. Agreed, not at its highest level, but still pretty high for that issue.

Old 01-11-2022, 12:30 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
This here.

The vintage is limited and I agree that this playing the game by auction house musical chairs. I think a market correction in all sports will take place in the next couple years as collectables are going to get hit hard as a tax shelter with the 600 dollar reporting. Modern will get designated as 90s junk wax values for 2015+ and vintage will go back to the prices of 5 years ago. Personal opinion.
Makes a lot of sense, but not so sure about the vintage dropping back so much, depending on what your definition of vintage is now. Can see the modern stuff cooling off a bit, like back in the '90s. But thinking that maybe out of a lot of the new collectors and money that have been coming into the hobby on the modern side, if that modern side does start to falter and collapse a bit, we'll find that not all the new blood was strictly investors and not collectors. I would expect that some portion of these new collectors, albeit maybe just a small portion, will truly get bit by the collecting bug, and as a result, gravitate over to vintage. Just like a lot of us here on this forum started out.

Can see the high-end vintage coming down a bit, like a lot of it has already started to in some cases this past year. But that would likely be due to changes in the thinking of the high-end investors. Don't feel the lower grade vintage will take a similar hit. Can see some fallback, but not nearly as much as the high-end stuff may see. I feel the true collectors, plus whatever new ones get added to the ranks from the recent surge in collecting popularity, will keep the vintage market a lot less volatile.

And because a lot of this increased modern card popularity is in football and basketball, can see vintage for both of those sports getting a nice boost as well, as some of the modern collectors start looking back.

Last edited by BobC; 01-12-2022 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:45 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
Are vintage basketball cards market saturated? Here is one example

Goldiin auction ends last nite: Reserve not met, final bid $285,000

https://goldin.co/item/1961-62-fleer...sa-mint-9314ok

The same card sold at Collectable for $350,000.
I am not really sure what you are asking here in regards to the Chamberlain rookie. Market saturation occurs when there is no longer demand for a product because everyone already has it.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:12 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The correction is already a done deal for most cards. We clearly reached a market peak and had a significant correction on all but a handful of essential rookie cards some time last year. PSA 8 Dr. J cards peaked over $9,000 (non-PWCC and Probstein sales only) in early 2021 but have fallen back by over 50% to around $3700. Even the key cards of the era (1957 Russell, 1961 Chamberlain(s), 1961 West, 1961 Baylor, 1969 Alcindor, 1970 Maravich) have stagnated or fallen off their peaks. If you FOMO'd those sorts cards you lost a lot of money. Now, a lot of those cards are way above where they were when the price surge started (the Dr. J RC was a $800-$1100 card) so there is room to move either way, but one could easily argue that those cards were great bargains at the time and have legitimately risen as they were (re)discovered by collectors.

On the other hand, the non-mainstream cards haven't moved much either way. Amazing to me you can get a RC of a HOFer in a tough regional set for a fraction of the cost of a common as dirt mainstream card. Those sorts of cards do not move a lot but when they come up they sell readily. There are exceptions of course, like the legendary Bell Brand Lakers or the early Kahn's Jerry West cards, that are always expensive.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-13-2022 at 11:15 AM.