NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Default Batter Up Color Identification and Scarcity

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

This set consists of cards produced in two sizes which exhibit different color characteristics, between the high and low numbers. I neither contend to know the different colors which were issued nor their commonness, but I offer the following guess, based on my experiences to date. What is your guess?

Common to rare:

Low numbers -
pink
grey
brown
blue
red
green
black

High numbers -
black and white
brown
green
blue
black and cream
light blue
black and orange

I do not think that there is really much difference among low numbered cards until green. And every color high numbered card other than black and white appears infrequently, especially the last two.

There may be other colors and some of those shown could be imaginary. And I certainly could have my impression of scarcity skewed. What do you think?
black and orange

Old 10-22-2007, 12:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Shanon Ping

I have owned quite a few over the years and believe the Greens to be the toughest. I don't believe there is any added value for them at this point. As you probably know the high numbers are also tougher to obtain.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad Green

I've posted these before, but here are the six low-numbered Grove cards that I have.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Flaherty

I pulled out my batter-ups to find out what percent of each color I had.

For the low numbers I came up with:

Blue: 24
Pink: 21
Brown: 16
Grey: 10
Red: 8
Green: 8
Black: 8

It's not a very large sample size so make of it what you will.

I would contend that grey and black could be consolidated into one category based on the fact that both blue and pink have wide ranges of variation.

I have fewer high numbers, about 70, but I found it too difficult to categorize them. I did not determine any of them to be black and orange so I would love to see an example of one if someone can post a scan.

I'm surprised that there is not more hobby love for this set. The fact that the cards were intended to be folded over makes it incredible to me that, 75 years later, uncreased examples can still be obtained at reasonable prices.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

I have been collecting a "Master Color" set for sometime now. I will not give out which colors I think are scarce but I can tell you that there is three series for Batter-Up.

Series One 1-40
Not in any scarcity order but the colors are:
Pink
Red
Green
Bright Blue
Dark Blue
Brown
Black & White

Series Two 41-80
Dark Pink
Blue
Brown
Black and White

Series Three (Hi Numbers) 81-192
Green
Brown
Blue
Black & White

The reason I think there is a second series is, if you look at the size of the cards numbered from 1-40 to the cards numbered 41-80 you will find that the latter series of cards are larger is size. I wish I could give my insight on the scarcity of color but I don't want to give away all my secrets I will tell you that there is one color in series one that is much tougher than the rest. All colors in the second series are relatively the same. The third series also has one color much tougher than the rest.

I hope this helps,
Trevor

Old 10-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

My only Batter-Up card...............

Old 10-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ItsOnlyGil

And a definate candidate for "Best in Set"

edited to add:

but Mancuso's mask is hurled a little further, so I like that one a bit more.
come on, everyone knows: mask distance = card attractiveness