NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-12-2004, 05:40 AM
Administrator

Default COBB DECAL BAT & AMERICAN MEMORABILIA

Posted By: Robert Plancich

I recently saw where Troy Kinunen, Director of SCD's Authentication services posted a photo of Cobb with some kind of bat. Nick Martinez of American Memorabilia (AM)posted a comment saying something about "common sense" that I frankly didn't understand. However, I would like to say that my comments (not that they have any profound effect or carry any weight different from anyone elses) were not meant to disparage AM and/or the items that they auction. I know for a fact that Victor Moreano, president of AM, spends a lot of money to have the items in his auction authenticated by, according to industry standards, the top experts. In the case of the Ty Cobb decal bat the consignor submitted this item for auction and Messrs. Bushing/Kinunen/SCDA issued an LOA on this bat. IMHO AM did the right thing by having the bat authenticated and the blame, if any, should be placed on the authenticators, not the auction house.

This is not case with MastroNet. In 2000 when Robert Edwards, Ron Oser and others merged with Mastro Fine Sports to form MastroNet also under that "umbrella" was a division called MastroNet Authentication and Appraisal services division. Messrs. Dave Bushing and Dan Knoll headed up that division and were employees of MastroNet, not independent experts as many would have you believe. AM does the right thing by having their lots authenticated. Lelands which doesn't use authenticators and chooses to use in-house personnel to authenticate their lots also does the right thing because if an item comes back bad Lelands takes the heat and their name takes a hit. MastroNet on the other hand gives you the illusion that they are only a consignment house and have no financial interest in any of their lots. Also, they give you the impression that their lots are consigned by whoever and then their "independent" experts come in and evaluate/authenticate these items.

Case in point, when the DiMaggio streak bat was sold to Hillerich & Bradsby for $350K, the bat was owned by Messrs. Bushing and Knoll and placed in MastroNet's auction where they authenticated the bat that was initially sold twice to Dr. Richard Angrist (the person that recently purchased the Ruth bat for $1.2 mil) and twice returned to Bushing before being sold by MastroNet. The bat at the time it was offered to Dr. Angrist was described by Bushing & Knoll as a DiMaggio "rookie-era" bat with a price tag of $90,000.00. The word on this bat and its questionable authenticity and use by DiMaggio was further exposed at the Fort Washington, PA show on March 2004. It was after this show that this bat magically was transformed by Bushing from a "rookie-era" DiMaggio bat to a DiMaggio 56 game hitting streak bat.

Old 12-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

I want to thank you for your legwork.
I find the above family tree very interesting, informative and instructive.
It almost gives one the feeling of a "Restored and Stabilized" atmosphere.
Pretty hard for any collector and or speculator to disregard.

Old 12-12-2004, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry

I know that Bushing (not sure about Kinunen) used to work for Mastro two or three years ago, but have been on their own or with SCD since then. I believe that Mastro uses them in the same capacity as American Memorabilia, Leland's, Robert Edward, SportsCards Plus and the others do.

I guess that I look at the memorabilia authentication the same way as card grading and autograph authentication. I take their opinion for what it is - an opinion. They certainly make mistakes, but their opinion can be a first step for my own research if I am interested in an item - I would never buy an item based solely on someone else's opinion.

Old 12-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Roger D

I am a frequent visitor of this site and a collector of game used memorabilia. Primarliy bats and jerseys. What is Robert trying to accomplish with his posts? I have no problem posting an opinion on a specific piece of memorabilia; but his continuous rants are clearly targeted to discredit a person who in my opinion is very reputable. I purchase memorabilia from MastroNet, Lelands, Hunts, etc and respect the opinion of experts when I make these purchases. Mr Plancich is painting a picture of a Dave Bushing that is absolutely untrue. As a matter of fact the posts are full of lies...for instance:
#1 I know who consigned the Koufax glove to Sothebys and it was not Dave Bushing. He had no financial interest in the glove. Additionally the opinion he rendered on the glove had nothing to do with the no hitter SCDA graded it an A5 which simply designates it as a pro model glove.
#2 Everyone knew Dave was an employee of MastroNet in 2000, Robert acts like this was a big secret. He and Dan were listed on the back of each MastroNet catalog.
#3 I have discussed the DiMaggio bat at length with Dr. Angrist. Your story is again full of lies. After the bat was acquired from Henrich's daughter and thought to be an incredible 41 gamer it was offered to Angrist and he decided against the purchase. Subsequent to this Henrich himself and later an H&B employee confirmed this to be the streak bat. Lets see who should be believe Robert Plancich or Dave Bushing, Tom Henrich and H&B executitive who heard from DiMaggio himself that he gave his streak bat to Tom Henrich?

I know the Dave Bushing who 5 years ago was sent a bat alleged to be a store model Ruth after he agreed to pay $1,000 for it. When it arrived he found it to be a gamer. He called the seller (outside the hobby) and paid them 10's of thousands of dollars.

From what I have been able to dig up Robert Plancich's only hobby experience has been in trying to pass off bad autographs through PSA and then blaming them because they didn't like his Babe Ruth and other forgeries.

Robert why don't you go after the bad guys? It would be a better use of your energy! If you have a personal problem with Dave Bushing take it off line.

Old 12-13-2004, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

I know the Dave Bushing who 5 years ago was sent a bat alleged to be a store model Ruth after he agreed to pay $1,000 for it. When it arrived he found it to be a gamer. He called the seller (outside the hobby) and paid them 10's of thousands of dollars.

This is very interesting.