NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Babe Ruth Cards
t206 Ty Cobb
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Baseball T201-T217
Baseball E90-E107
T205 Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Goudey Cards
Vintage Baseball Memorabilia
Baseball Exhibit Cards
Baseball Strip Cards
Baseball Baking Cards
Sporting News Cards
Play Ball Cards
Joe DiMaggio Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Bowman 1951-1955
Football Cards

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-01-2022, 08:47 AM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 31,963
Default Scammers in the Buy Sell Trade Section

Over the last 2 days there have been at least 2 scammers trying to get members to do deals on the BST. Neither had gotten approved and slipped in through the cracks. Be very, very careful about new members over there and ALWAYS PM me so I can look into any strangeness. Be careful over there.

__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-01-2022, 09:09 AM
thatkidfromjerrymaguire thatkidfromjerrymaguire is offline
John Donovan
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 410
Default

Leon, maybe we need a new "BST Authentication Service". Anytime a deal is done on BST, the card has to be sent to you for "Authentication" and then you forward on to the buyer.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-01-2022, 09:17 AM
bbnut bbnut is offline
Chris Rudd
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 115
Default

And maybe, Leon, you can grade and slab the deal! Let us know how much that will cost and what your turnaround time will be, please.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-01-2022, 09:37 AM
NiceDocter NiceDocter is offline
Rocky Rockwell
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jacksonville , Florida
Posts: 606
Default Scammers

I know this may sound crazy but I think there should be a way us regular Net54 users can see these known scams after they are discovered so we can learn what to look for better. Kind of like free tuition to the School of Hard Knocks……
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-01-2022, 09:51 AM
Casey2296's Avatar
Casey2296 Casey2296 is offline
Is Mudville so bad?
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: West Coast
Posts: 2,805
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnut View Post
And maybe, Leon, you can grade and slab the deal! Let us know how much that will cost and what your turnaround time will be, please.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
The "Luckey Vault" has a nice ring to it...
__________________
Phil Lewis
.
Original circulation E98 Master set 120/120

E94 27/30 Lord help me...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-01-2022, 11:37 AM
Dead-Ball-Hitter's Avatar
Dead-Ball-Hitter Dead-Ball-Hitter is offline
J@E RIT0
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Lovely Massachusetts
Posts: 243
Default Leon's Grading

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnut View Post
And maybe, Leon, you can grade and slab the deal! Let us know how much that will cost and what your turnaround time will be, please.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Hi Leon, Can you also employ a reduced cost grading scale using only grades 5-10 so that I can trick buyers into thinking their grade 5 is actually EX and their 9 is actually a "mint" card?
__________________
Thanks for your thoughts, Joe.

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-01-2022, 11:39 AM
jcmtiger's Avatar
jcmtiger jcmtiger is offline
Joe M.
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,086
Default

Ha!!! Ha!,,, not so far fetched. I won’t go through the whole story. Bought a Ty Cobb T205 on ebay, sent for grading, came back counterfeit. The seller would not return my money. Fast forward 10 years, that same seller won a card I was selling on ebay. I told the story on Net54, he was member here. Outed him. Lots of action on this site. Finally the seller decided to return my money 10 years later. But we did not trust each other, came to an agreement, I sent the counterfeit card to Leon, he sent the money to Leon. Leon, the Great guy he is sent the card to him and the money to me. It was over $1000.00. Thanks agin Leon. Joe
__________________
"Ty Cobb, Spikes Flying"

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-01-2022, 11:55 AM
GasHouseGang's Avatar
GasHouseGang GasHouseGang is offline
David M.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S. California
Posts: 2,560
Default

That has to be some kind of record. A refund ten years later, wow!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-01-2022, 11:58 AM
jcmtiger's Avatar
jcmtiger jcmtiger is offline
Joe M.
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
That has to be some kind of record. A refund ten years later, wow!
Yes, for sure.
__________________
"Ty Cobb, Spikes Flying"

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13

Last edited by jcmtiger; 02-01-2022 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Sp
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-01-2022, 02:35 PM
Eric72's Avatar
Eric72 Eric72 is offline
Eric Perry
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 2,825
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
That has to be some kind of record. A refund ten years later, wow!
Chief Bender waited over 40 years for the Dillsburg, Pennsylvania baseball club to pay the money they owed him from a game in 1901.
__________________
Eric Perry

Currently collecting:
T206 (127/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (181/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-01-2022, 02:41 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 31,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
Ha!!! Ha!,,, not so far fetched. I won’t go through the whole story. Bought a Ty Cobb T205 on ebay, sent for grading, came back counterfeit. The seller would not return my money. Fast forward 10 years, that same seller won a card I was selling on ebay. I told the story on Net54, he was member here. Outed him. Lots of action on this site. Finally the seller decided to return my money 10 years later. But we did not trust each other, came to an agreement, I sent the counterfeit card to Leon, he sent the money to Leon. Leon, the Great guy he is sent the card to him and the money to me. It was over $1000.00. Thanks agin Leon. Joe
I don't even remember that, Joe. But I am glad I could help. There are probably a few more stories out there....

The most time I gave a refund was 2 yrs...to a forum member. He got mad at me and said he didn't know it was the wrong guy on the card....it was Daffy Dean and he said he thought it was Dizzy...so I refunded him. I think he was banned before that. Maybe that had something to do with it.
.
.
__________________
Leon Luckey

Last edited by Leon; 02-01-2022 at 03:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-01-2022, 02:56 PM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 7,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
I know this may sound crazy but I think there should be a way us regular Net54 users can see these known scams after they are discovered so we can learn what to look for better. Kind of like free tuition to the School of Hard Knocks……
Not sure if this was one of them but I noticed one persons first post was trying to sell a T210 Joe Jackson. Selling that card as your first post has to be a red flag even if they turn out legit.

EDIT: looked and that person is now banned

Last edited by bnorth; 02-01-2022 at 03:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-01-2022, 03:18 PM
bmattioli's Avatar
bmattioli bmattioli is offline
Bruce Mattioli
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hartford CT
Posts: 294
Default

And to think I as many of you used to trust folks and send cash through the mail.. Sad that times have changed for the worse..
__________________
***********
USAF Veteran
84-94
***********
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-01-2022, 03:36 PM
Smarti5051 Smarti5051 is offline
sc0tt_kirkn.er
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 72
Default

Speaking of scams and keeping an eye out, is there anywhere on the boards that gives the reputation of other members? On a very similar board I watch (BlowOutForums), they have an "iTrader" page which gives feedback of transactions on the site. Is there anything similar hear? I imagine after a few years on this site, I will get an idea of who is trustworthy, but as a "newbie" on the site, it is hard to assess who is trustworthy beyond the number of posts (which is not the best indicator). As a new guy, I imagine if I engaged in a trade, I would be the first to ship which I am totally fine with, but how does a new guy know they are dealing with a reputable member?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-01-2022, 03:57 PM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 7,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarti5051 View Post
Speaking of scams and keeping an eye out, is there anywhere on the boards that gives the reputation of other members? On a very similar board I watch (BlowOutForums), they have an "iTrader" page which gives feedback of transactions on the site. Is there anything similar hear? I imagine after a few years on this site, I will get an idea of who is trustworthy, but as a "newbie" on the site, it is hard to assess who is trustworthy beyond the number of posts (which is not the best indicator). As a new guy, I imagine if I engaged in a trade, I would be the first to ship which I am totally fine with, but how does a new guy know they are dealing with a reputable member?
Until you get it figured out only pay with regular Paypal so you have protection. I have been on here for a while and have sent decent piles of cash to members I trust in the past.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-01-2022, 04:19 PM
Eric72's Avatar
Eric72 Eric72 is offline
Eric Perry
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 2,825
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
And to think I as many of you used to trust folks and send cash through the mail.. Sad that times have changed for the worse..
There was a time when I sent cash in birthday cards and US Postal Money orders for card purchases. About a million years ago, eBay used to let sellers take checks and money orders...
__________________
Eric Perry

Currently collecting:
T206 (127/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (181/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-01-2022, 04:30 PM
Tao_Moko's Avatar
Tao_Moko Tao_Moko is offline
Er1c Sh@rp.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Floyd, VA
Posts: 1,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
And to think I as many of you used to trust folks and send cash through the mail.. Sad that times have changed for the worse..
Yep. Deals were made often where the cards were mailed pre payment. I have a relationship with several here where that's still the case. Not recommending it for all! After dealing with someone for 15 years the trust has been built
__________________
"Chicago Cubs fans are 90% scar tissue". -GFW
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-01-2022, 05:00 PM
jayshum jayshum is offline
Jay Shumsky
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
There was a time when I sent cash in birthday cards and US Postal Money orders for card purchases. About a million years ago, eBay used to let sellers take checks and money orders...
In the early days of eBay, I think those were the only ways to pay. I remember mailing out plenty of checks to pay for cards I won, then waiting for the check to get there, get deposited and cleared, then for the card to be shipped and finally get to me. It's funny now when you see people post stories about buyers complaining when they don't receive a card in 3-4 days. Back then, it was usually a minimum of 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-01-2022, 06:35 PM
FrankWakefield FrankWakefield is offline
Frank Wakefield
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Franklin KY
Posts: 2,376
Default

In my early eBay days, and at a point in time where I'd been on Net54 a bit, I won an early 1960s Popcorn card of somebody, a B&W card of no significant value of some player I wanted a card of... I'm at work, and during a break I peak at the auction, and I see I've won. I get home that evening, and after supper I email the seller (who, unknown to me, was occasionally on Net54) asking him if he wanted a check, money order, or what for payment, and I sent him my address. I go to bed. Next day, I get an email from him, saying he didn't care how I paid, and that he'd already mailed the card. He felt he knew me from Net54 and he was confident I'd send payment (I think it was about $4.00, give or take a few cents). I'm reading that in the evening after another workday. I mail payment the next day, and the day after that the card arrives in Kentucky from California. Sometimes we're a trusting bunch...

I think the seller was the same guy who wrote what follows in his initial email to me. I saw it, and I wondered what weirdo ball collector was sending poetry, because at first glance it looked like a poem. It wasn't. And I loved it, commited it to memory. Here goes:

"I like to sit outside, drink beer, and hollar at people.
If I do this at home, the police are called and I go to jail.
But if I do this at a baseball game, I fit right in."


I figure if one of you guys came to Kentucky and joined me in my front yard, roadside, a cooler between us, beer in hand, that as we hollared at passersby we'd last about 15 minutes before the police arrived.

But if we went down to Nashville or up to Bowling Green for a minor league ball game, we could drink beer and hollar at one team, both teams, the umpires, and they'd sell us more beer.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-03-2022, 10:20 AM
dstudeba's Avatar
dstudeba dstudeba is offline
Dan Studebaker
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 638
Default

Thanks Frank, that made me smile
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-03-2022, 10:35 AM
GasHouseGang's Avatar
GasHouseGang GasHouseGang is offline
David M.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S. California
Posts: 2,560
Default

Maybe I've just had dumb luck, but I've sent many people on the BST section of the board a PayPal FF payment and always gotten what I ordered. I had one mix up recently where I was sent the wrong card. But I sent it back and the correct card was sent plus $5 cash for my trouble. There are many great collectors on Net54. Now if it's someone that only has 1 post and joined the board yesterday, I'm not going to order from them. I'm trusting, but not stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-03-2022, 10:58 AM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 7,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Maybe I've just had dumb luck, but I've sent many people on the BST section of the board a PayPal FF payment and always gotten what I ordered. I had one mix up recently where I was sent the wrong card. But I sent it back and the correct card was sent plus $5 cash for my trouble. There are many great collectors on Net54. Now if it's someone that only has 1 post and joined the board yesterday, I'm not going to order from them. I'm trusting, but not stupid.
Probably not dumb luck. There are a lot of great people on here. I have done 100s of deals on here and really only got screwed once. I made a trade very heavily in their favor and was OK with that part. Then the 2 cards that arrived where complete garbage. It was a long time member that quit posting not long after that. Have a kinda strange one going on now. Made a deal a month ago and mailed my side out the same day. Still have not received my my part of the deal. Holding out hope as I have done many deals with them before.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-03-2022, 12:04 PM
Tao_Moko's Avatar
Tao_Moko Tao_Moko is offline
Er1c Sh@rp.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Floyd, VA
Posts: 1,261
Default

A few thoughts from a BST frequentier:
1. I love it.
2. I've never had a bad transaction that I can recall. Scammers are pretty easy to sort out and a little conversation over pm, email or text pretty much seals the deal with someone's intentions so I do my best to communicate.
3. I'm not concerned with whether a sold item retains it's original price and believe the OP owns that decision.
4. Deleting posts is bad.
5. My only request is that cards I want be listed too high for others interest and secretly 90% off for me.
__________________
"Chicago Cubs fans are 90% scar tissue". -GFW
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-03-2022, 12:12 PM
T205 GB's Avatar
T205 GB T205 GB is offline
@ndrew woo.dfin
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
In my early eBay days, and at a point in time where I'd been on Net54 a bit, I won an early 1960s Popcorn card of somebody, a B&W card of no significant value of some player I wanted a card of... I'm at work, and during a break I peak at the auction, and I see I've won. I get home that evening, and after supper I email the seller (who, unknown to me, was occasionally on Net54) asking him if he wanted a check, money order, or what for payment, and I sent him my address. I go to bed. Next day, I get an email from him, saying he didn't care how I paid, and that he'd already mailed the card. He felt he knew me from Net54 and he was confident I'd send payment (I think it was about $4.00, give or take a few cents). I'm reading that in the evening after another workday. I mail payment the next day, and the day after that the card arrives in Kentucky from California. Sometimes we're a trusting bunch...

I think the seller was the same guy who wrote what follows in his initial email to me. I saw it, and I wondered what weirdo ball collector was sending poetry, because at first glance it looked like a poem. It wasn't. And I loved it, commited it to memory. Here goes:

"I like to sit outside, drink beer, and hollar at people.
If I do this at home, the police are called and I go to jail.
But if I do this at a baseball game, I fit right in."


I figure if one of you guys came to Kentucky and joined me in my front yard, roadside, a cooler between us, beer in hand, that as we hollared at passersby we'd last about 15 minutes before the police arrived.

But if we went down to Nashville or up to Bowling Green for a minor league ball game, we could drink beer and hollar at one team, both teams, the umpires, and they'd sell us more beer.
Not if we put a sign up saying "you honk we drink"
__________________
Andrew

Member since 2009
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-03-2022, 12:14 PM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 7,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post
A few thoughts from a BST frequentier:
1. I love it.
2. I've never had a bad transaction that I can recall. Scammers are pretty easy to sort out and a little conversation over pm, email or text pretty much seals the deal with someone's intentions so I do my best to communicate.
3. I'm not concerned with whether a sold item retains it's original price and believe the OP owns that decision.
4. Deleting posts is bad.
5. My only request is that cards I want be listed too high for others interest and secretly 90% off for me.
I think we would all like #5.

I tried the Jedi mind trick of posting "these is not the cards you are looking for". It didn't work as the cards quickly got 2 more bids.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-03-2022, 12:22 PM
T205 GB's Avatar
T205 GB T205 GB is offline
@ndrew woo.dfin
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,462
Default

Probably bought and sold 100's of card to members. Can only remember a couple bad transactions. Big buy of T205's from a member in Canada. We agreed on a price and he got paid immediately. He then turned around and sold a few of the cards to other another board member for a few more $. If i remember I wrote a "crescendo of a post" about it. One of my first big deals on here.

Second was with a very well trusted board member that guaranteed cards to grade numerical but some came back an A and I wanted a refund. Acted like I was in the wrong for asking for a refund. Needless to say this member is a fraud and has continually slabbed altered cards.

Not sure if either are still active members but good ridden if not.
__________________
Andrew

Member since 2009
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-03-2022, 12:27 PM
bobblesandballcards bobblesandballcards is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 5
Default

I am completely new here, and joined because of an eBay seller telling me they could negotiate but only source of contact they would give was here.

I have messaged them on here several days ago but haven't gotten any response, I am new to forums such as this period so maybe I did something wrong, I am not sure...

At any rate, I joined a few days ago and have just enjoyed browsing conversations on the vintage and the knowledge, so thank you for having me!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-03-2022, 12:59 PM
toledo_mudhen's Avatar
toledo_mudhen toledo_mudhen is offline
Lonnie Nagel
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Texas (on the beach)
Posts: 1,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
Hi Leon, Can you also employ a reduced cost grading scale using only grades 5-10 so that I can trick buyers into thinking their grade 5 is actually EX and their 9 is actually a "mint" card?

and purple stickers....gotta have purple stickers....
__________________
Lonnie Nagel
T206 : 55/520 : 12.7%

Creator of SetBilder
Vintage Sports Card Collecting Software
www.SetBilder.com
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-03-2022, 01:07 PM
toledo_mudhen's Avatar
toledo_mudhen toledo_mudhen is offline
Lonnie Nagel
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Texas (on the beach)
Posts: 1,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblesandballcards View Post
I am completely new here, and joined because of an eBay seller telling me they could negotiate but only source of contact they would give was here.

At any rate, I joined a few days ago and have just enjoyed browsing conversations on the vintage and the knowledge, so thank you for having me!
Welcome Aboard - Great Group here.........
__________________
Lonnie Nagel
T206 : 55/520 : 12.7%

Creator of SetBilder
Vintage Sports Card Collecting Software
www.SetBilder.com
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-03-2022, 01:22 PM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 7,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
and purple stickers....gotta have purple stickers....
LOL, now that is funny.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-04-2022, 06:43 AM
T205 GB's Avatar
T205 GB T205 GB is offline
@ndrew woo.dfin
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblesandballcards View Post
I am completely new here, and joined because of an eBay seller telling me they could negotiate but only source of contact they would give was here.

I have messaged them on here several days ago but haven't gotten any response, I am new to forums such as this period so maybe I did something wrong, I am not sure...

At any rate, I joined a few days ago and have just enjoyed browsing conversations on the vintage and the knowledge, so thank you for having me!
Welcome to the board. I am sure if you contact Leon or a moderator they could help you with contacting the member. Any chance you have a OPC Gretzky RC w/blue lines?
__________________
Andrew

Member since 2009
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-04-2022, 07:45 AM
rugbymarine rugbymarine is offline
Ian H@ll
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 320
Default

Caveat emptor:
- the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.

It's right at the top of the Buy/Sell/Trade sections. I had never heard that Latin phrase before, and had to look up what it meant. It's usually fairly easy to sort out when someone is legit. Personally, when I see a card for sale that I think I want, I do have to remind myself to slow down and just go over some basic details that help rule out some of those red flags.

I've only been a member here for 6ish years, and I've made ~20 deals. Nothing but good things to say about the collectors here.
__________________
Bought from: orioles93, JK, Chstrite, lug-nut, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, IgnatiusJReilly, jb67, dbfirstman
Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm

Last edited by rugbymarine; 02-04-2022 at 07:45 AM. Reason: edit: typo
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-04-2022, 09:01 AM
Gorditadogg Gorditadogg is offline
Al Stein
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbymarine View Post
I've only been a member here for 6ish years, and I've made ~20 deals. Nothing but good things to say about the collectors here.
Well I haven't been as fortunate as you have, but for the most part I agree with you.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-04-2022, 09:15 AM
nat's Avatar
nat nat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 863
Default

Now that you can't sort cards by era on eBay, BST here is pretty much my only source of cards. It's not worth wading through 6000s copies of cards from that 1991 set that uses Conlon photos.

And while I've done fewer deals here than some, I've still done plenty. And have never had a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-04-2022, 09:16 AM
bobblesandballcards bobblesandballcards is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
Welcome to the board. I am sure if you contact Leon or a moderator they could help you with contacting the member. Any chance you have a OPC Gretzky RC w/blue lines?
I do not, I only own a Topps Gretzky
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-04-2022, 10:58 AM
BobC BobC is offline
Bob C.
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Parma, Ohio
Posts: 2,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
Now that you can't sort cards by era on eBay, BST here is pretty much my only source of cards. It's not worth wading through 6000s copies of cards from that 1991 set that uses Conlon photos.

And while I've done fewer deals here than some, I've still done plenty. And have never had a problem.
Nat,

I feel your pain and despise the way Ebay changed their search function and eliminated cards by era searches also. You do know though that you can do a search and type in things you don't want to have come up, like modern Conlon cards? Just type the word Conlon in the search box with a minus sign in front of it, like this: -conlon

And you can add as many other things you also want to remove from searches as you like. Similarly just type them in the search box also with a minus sign in front of what you want removed from the search. Just remember to leave a space between each separate thing you want removed from the search, don't type it all in as one continuous word/entry. And when you finally have a search with all the items you want excluded from it entered, save the search so you don't have to go typing it all in again.

My apologies if you already knew this, but from your post it seemed like you may not be aware of this search option/function.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-04-2022, 11:10 AM
tschock tschock is offline
T@yl0r $ch0ck
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 1,378
Default

Or you can do something like this:

card (nabisco,welch,sugar daddy) -(raquel,1993,1994,1992,"Bob Welch","Noah Welch")

It means I'm looking for a "card" that has ("nabisco" OR "welch" OR "sugar daddy") AND does NOT contain any of the list of items in the parenthesis with the minus sign in front.

Last edited by tschock; 02-04-2022 at 11:14 AM. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-04-2022, 11:15 AM
timzcardz timzcardz is offline
T!M R10rd@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Nat,

I feel your pain and despise the way Ebay changed their search function and eliminated cards by era searches also. You do know though that you can do a search and type in things you don't want to have come up, like modern Conlon cards? Just type the word Conlon in the search box with a minus sign in front of it, like this: -conlon

And you can add as many other things you also want to remove from searches as you like. Similarly just type them in the search box also with a minus sign in front of what you want removed from the search.
Just remember to leave a space between each separate thing you want removed from the search, don't type it all in as one continuous word/entry. And when you finally have a search with all the items you want excluded from it entered, save the search so you don't have to go typing it all in again.

My apologies if you already knew this, but from your post it seemed like you may not be aware of this search option/function.
I find it easier to include everything within parentheses separated by commas like this:

-(1996,reprint,rp,etopps)

which will eliminate items with any of the following in the title: 1996, reprint, rp, etopps.



Similarly, you can search for one out of list of things by including them in the parentheses without a -sign in front like this:

(1958,58)

which will yield results with either 1958 or 58 in the title:





A combined search for a 1958 Mantle might look something look this:

(1958,58) Mantle -(1996,reprint,rp,etopps)
__________________
Collector of all things Ripken, Yankees, 1958.

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-05-2022, 07:47 AM
Bicem's Avatar
Bicem Bicem is online now
Jeff 'Prize-ner'
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,896
Default

I was just offered a Babe Ruth rookie for $900 because he needs cash for his sick mother and to send his son to school

He said he got my email from here and saw my post looking for Ruth Boston items.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-05-2022, 07:50 AM
toledo_mudhen's Avatar
toledo_mudhen toledo_mudhen is offline
Lonnie Nagel
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Texas (on the beach)
Posts: 1,238
Default

Well - If you dont want it - I will take it. Could you forward the contact info???

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
I was just offered a Babe Ruth rookie for $900 because he needs cash for his sick mother and to send his son to school

He said he got my email from here and saw my post looking for Ruth Boston items.
__________________
Lonnie Nagel
T206 : 55/520 : 12.7%

Creator of SetBilder
Vintage Sports Card Collecting Software
www.SetBilder.com
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-05-2022, 08:03 AM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 31,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
I was just offered a Babe Ruth rookie for $900 because he needs cash for his sick mother and to send his son to school

He said he got my email from here and saw my post looking for Ruth Boston items.
So if he or she is a member tell me the ID and they won't be any longer. But there are scammers contacting our members off of the forum too...
.

These are from the BST long ago...the Arrelanes came from the original Trucker Boy find and boomeranged back to me after my first collection sale.

__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-05-2022, 08:07 AM
Bicem's Avatar
Bicem Bicem is online now
Jeff 'Prize-ner'
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,896
Default

He told me his n54 name was Drumback which is obviously not true.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-05-2022, 09:43 AM
Eric72's Avatar
Eric72 Eric72 is offline
Eric Perry
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 2,825
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
So if he or she is a member tell me the ID and they won't be any longer. But there are scammers contacting our members off of the forum too...
.

These are from the BST long ago...the Arrelanes came from the original Trucker Boy find and boomeranged back to me after my first collection sale.

That Melchoir looks like a scammer trying to run away after Net54 figures out he's trying to scam people.
__________________
Eric Perry

Currently collecting:
T206 (127/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (181/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-05-2022, 10:07 AM
icollectDCsports's Avatar
icollectDCsports icollectDCsports is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 852
Default

I remember sending cash for low-dollar eBay transactions. $20 or less. Didn't feel like waiting for a check to clear and didn't want to pay the fee for and go to the trouble of getting a money order. Never had a problem. But that was quite a while ago.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-05-2022, 10:38 AM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 7,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
I remember sending cash for low-dollar eBay transactions. $20 or less. Didn't feel like waiting for a check to clear and didn't want to pay the fee for and go to the trouble of getting a money order. Never had a problem. But that was quite a while ago.
I sent and received many PWEs with cash and change taped to a piece of paper. I think it was an extra 11 cents the USPS would charge me when the sender had too much weight from the change.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-05-2022, 10:43 AM
icollectDCsports's Avatar
icollectDCsports icollectDCsports is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I sent and received many PWEs with cash and change taped to a piece of paper. I think it was an extra 11 cents the USPS would charge me when the sender had too much weight from the change.
When paying, I'd just round up and send all bills instead of worrying about exact change -- or having the coins signal to anyone that the PWE contained cash of any sort.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-05-2022, 10:55 AM
Seven's Avatar
Seven Seven is offline
James
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,053
Default

I have to say, whenever I do a deal on here, I do have a certain sense of trust. Never been led astray, the deals are fair, and it's always a good experience (at least so far). I've never encountered, and probably will never encounter again, such a fantastic community.
__________________
Successful Deals With:

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-05-2022, 01:14 PM
BobC BobC is offline
Bob C.
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Parma, Ohio
Posts: 2,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
I find it easier to include everything within parentheses separated by commas like this:

-(1996,reprint,rp,etopps)

which will eliminate items with any of the following in the title: 1996, reprint, rp, etopps.



Similarly, you can search for one out of list of things by including them in the parentheses without a -sign in front like this:

(1958,58)

which will yield results with either 1958 or 58 in the title:





A combined search for a 1958 Mantle might look something look this:

(1958,58) Mantle -(1996,reprint,rp,etopps)
Thanks Tim, Wasn't aware of that little nuance with the parenthesis. Will have try that method as well.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-05-2022, 01:17 PM
toledo_mudhen's Avatar
toledo_mudhen toledo_mudhen is offline
Lonnie Nagel
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Texas (on the beach)
Posts: 1,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I have to say, whenever I do a deal on here, I do have a certain sense of trust. Never been led astray, the deals are fair, and it's always a good experience (at least so far). I've never encountered, and probably will never encounter again, such a fantastic community.
Yep Same here.... KUDOS All!
__________________
Lonnie Nagel
T206 : 55/520 : 12.7%

Creator of SetBilder
Vintage Sports Card Collecting Software
www.SetBilder.com
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-05-2022, 01:39 PM
jiw98 jiw98 is offline
Jeff H
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Looking for par MI to FL
Posts: 365
Default

I have only completed around 20 transactions here on Net54, but I can say that all of the deals have gone fairly smooth. There was a delay with USPS on one, but with some good communication and patience everything went well. This has been a good site for BST and info.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy, Sell & Trade Section Guidelines Chris Counts Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 15 03-18-2020 05:55 PM
Net54Baseball Buy Sell Trade Section - Live Auctions - Closing Time Definition Leon Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 4 07-24-2018 08:29 PM
Net54baseball BST 1950s-1970s section expansion & Championship Sports Ring section Leon Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 41 06-25-2015 07:13 AM
Buy Sell Trade in this section? Archive Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 14 02-24-2009 05:54 AM
All requests for buying, selling or trading cards go in the "Buy/Sell/Trade" section Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 0 02-10-2008 07:12 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:08 PM.


ebay GSB