NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 06-01-2022, 01:52 PM
Steve Birmingham

Default What's with the NBA

Finall watched some NBA, Celtics game 7 against Miami.

A few thoughts
Basketball is now just soccer played with hands instead of feet. Soooo much acting!

I'd heard 3 pointers were a popular thing instead of a desperation thing. Confirmed. And maybe not in a good way. One of the miami plaers dribbled across a wide open area from left, across over the top of the key. Apparently looking for someone open in 3 point land. Could have had an easy 2.

Or maybe not. Despite hearing about how great players are now, the shooting seemed.... Pretty awful.

Still entertaining, but it just looked like bad basketball all around.
Old 06-01-2022, 02:13 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Finall watched some NBA, Celtics game 7 against Miami.

A few thoughts
Basketball is now just soccer played with hands instead of feet. Soooo much acting!

I'd heard 3 pointers were a popular thing instead of a desperation thing. Confirmed. And maybe not in a good way. One of the miami plaers dribbled across a wide open area from left, across over the top of the key. Apparently looking for someone open in 3 point land. Could have had an easy 2.

Or maybe not. Despite hearing about how great players are now, the shooting seemed.... Pretty awful.

Still entertaining, but it just looked like bad basketball all around.
This is indeed how the game is played now. Passing up a layup for an open three, oscar-worthy flopping...

I am looking forward to the finals. I think these are the two teams that most deserve to be there.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 06-01-2022, 02:18 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I stopped watching that mess once Bird and Johnson retired.

I'll watch college but only the playoffs and that is it.

What they do on the court now is not basketball and has not been basketball for a number of years now.

YMMV

B.T.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 06-01-2022, 02:23 PM

Default Nba?

Steve B- you had me until you slammed soccer

1) Yes, NBA is trash. I would argue that the sport of basketball itself has
regressed while so many others, including soccer, have progressed. NBA
is essentially unwatchable and without charm or appeal of any kind.

2) Certainly agree that men's (important point) pro soccer is going through
a horrid wave of flopping. It's not "everybody", but it's too many bodies.
Most women are too proud to flop and it is largely absent from their
game. The best men players are wondrous, though.

3) Soccer is killing it in increase of popularity and participation, while bball
is scuffling. Can't stand that the final 3 minutes of a bball game takes 15
minutes and turns into a free throw contest. The final 3 minutes of a
soccer match takes...3 minutes

So, I'm onboard for your NBA take, but the major Euro soccer leagues are
a thing to behold. Trent King
Old 06-01-2022, 04:04 PM
D@le Irv*n

What ya all watching basketball and soccer for when the greatest/toughest game on the planet is currently underway in the name of the NHL playoffs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55accdcc5ecc6de6367ebed2f0f676c9.jpg (82.4 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg 651f5010b9a452ef7fbc13ad8dc2ff8e.jpg (72.4 KB, 236 views)
Old 06-01-2022, 09:45 PM
J0hn H@rper

That game had the lowest expected point total of anything in the NBA all season, so it wasn't exactly a representation of modern-day shooting prowess.

Players are more skilled at making threes than they ever have been (because of how so much of the game revolves around them).

And yes, flopping is out of control. Measures have been implemented to try and stop it. They aren't working very well.
Old 06-02-2022, 11:23 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh View Post
Steve B- you had me until you slammed soccer

1) Yes, NBA is trash. I would argue that the sport of basketball itself has
regressed while so many others, including soccer, have progressed. NBA
is essentially unwatchable and without charm or appeal of any kind.

2) Certainly agree that men's (important point) pro soccer is going through
a horrid wave of flopping. It's not "everybody", but it's too many bodies.
Most women are too proud to flop and it is largely absent from their
game. The best men players are wondrous, though.

3) Soccer is killing it in increase of popularity and participation, while bball
is scuffling. Can't stand that the final 3 minutes of a bball game takes 15
minutes and turns into a free throw contest. The final 3 minutes of a
soccer match takes...3 minutes

So, I'm onboard for your NBA take, but the major Euro soccer leagues are
a thing to behold. Trent King
I don't get to see much soccer. What I do get is highlights via FB.... Most of them I just don't even get. Like one guy slides at the ball while several feet from a defender. Defender goes down clutching a knee never having been touched? (can also be defender sliding and offensive player "getting taken down" ) Whistle, penalty, red card?! presumably for dangerous play. Was the ref even watching?

The last few minutes of an NBA game being freethrows was a thing even in the 80's. I pretty much expect it.
What was puzzling was how what seemed like shoving matches (Sumo Basketball combo anyone? ) resulted in no fouls, but putting an arm around a player as you run around him sort of like the swim move in FB is a foul.
And the double dribble/palming/travelling! seems standard now. Not that it got called much before.

Also puzzling was letting the ball roll around the floor until it got sort of close to the defenders.
Old 06-02-2022, 02:35 PM

Default Nba

Steve- yessir, I am with you on NBA all the way. The problems have begun
to filter down to major college level now as well. Game takes FAR too long,
too many time outs, many players can't seem to shoot free throws (or dribble
without travelling). It used to have character, now it's meaningless.

Trent King

Last edited by ClementeFanOh; 06-02-2022 at 02:36 PM. Reason: grammatical error
Old 06-02-2022, 05:45 PM

I liked how Magic Johnson tried to purposely not argue with the refs. He felt he could get on their good side by not being a pain in the a** and question and flail over every foul. Getting of the refs good side meant good chance for fewer fouls called against him.
Old 06-03-2022, 06:12 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
What ya all watching basketball and soccer for when the greatest/toughest game on the planet is currently underway in the name of the NHL playoffs.
Of course I'm biased as a Canadian.... but I truly believe if the majority of people were exposed to hockey, it would be the world's most popular sport, as it is arguably the hardest and most skilled team sport to play. Those who appreciate athletics at their highest level will love hockey. Of course, this popularity will never occur for a number of reasons.

I've seen reaction videos on Youtube where basketball and soccer fans watch hockey for the first time, and most are shocking by the skill and athleticism exhibited.

ESPN did a thorough study asking what sports are the hardest and most skilled to play.

The study featured a panel of experts from "a group made up of sports scientists from the United States Olympic Committee, of academicians who study the science of muscles and movement, of a star two-sport athlete, and of journalists who spend their professional lives watching athletes"

The analysis was based on 10 categories or skills, including:

ENDURANCE
STRENGTH
POWER
SPEED
AGILITY
FLEXIBILITY
NERVE
DURABILITY
HAND-EYE COORDINATION
ANALYTIC APTITUDE

HOCKEY was ranked the #1 team sport, scoring 71.750, second overall to boxing which scored 72.375.

Football was #3 with 68.375
Basketball was #4 with 67.875

https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

.... there was also a second study released in the spring I believe from a group that does unbiased studies, and they came to the same conclusion and rankings (can't remember the name of the organization or find the link to the article)
Old 06-03-2022, 07:19 AM

Default NBA, etc

Brent- I am a big admirer of hockey, incredible sport. Hockey and soccer
share a vital truth- if your team has a goalie who is standing on his head,
it can take you a long way Trent King
Old 06-03-2022, 10:30 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Game 1 of the NBA finals was a fine exhibit of the modern game.

A. The offense plays ring around the rosy (the three point line).

B. The 3 point shots were converted 42% of the time (2 point shots about 46%).

C. Three point shots were roughly 50% of the total attempts and accounted for over 50% of the total points scored.

D. Nearly everyone who crossed the line looked for the open man at the arc before considering a measly two point shot.

E. Contested rebounds on missed three pointers are rare.

F. Three seconds in the lane on offense is virtually never called.

G. There a number of credible three point shooters over 7 feet tall.

H. The increased shooting success behind the arc is indeed impressive, but only slightly more exciting than watching someone make free throws.

There is a solution though to make the game more interesting.

Eliminate the three point shot completely

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:52 AM
Rob G.

I can't get past the traveling
Old 06-03-2022, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Brent- I am a big admirer of hockey, incredible sport. Hockey and soccer
share a vital truth- if your team has a goalie who is standing on his head,
it can take you a long way Trent King
As a Rangers fan I endorse this message.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:49 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Old men complaining about basketball as unwatchable. A time honored tradition.

NBA has never been more popular. Worldwide. Off the charts level of interest.
Old 06-04-2022, 09:58 AM

Default Nba

Steve N- any value to the complaint actually being true? Trent King
Old 06-04-2022, 10:51 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
Of course I'm biased as a Canadian.... but I truly believe if the majority of people were exposed to hockey, it would be the world's most popular sport, as it is arguably the hardest and most skilled team sport to play. Those who appreciate athletics at their highest level will love hockey. Of course, this popularity will never occur for a number of reasons.

I've seen reaction videos on Youtube where basketball and soccer fans watch hockey for the first time, and most are shocking by the skill and athleticism exhibited.

ESPN did a thorough study asking what sports are the hardest and most skilled to play.

The study featured a panel of experts from "a group made up of sports scientists from the United States Olympic Committee, of academicians who study the science of muscles and movement, of a star two-sport athlete, and of journalists who spend their professional lives watching athletes"

The analysis was based on 10 categories or skills, including:

ENDURANCE
STRENGTH
POWER
SPEED
AGILITY
FLEXIBILITY
NERVE
DURABILITY
HAND-EYE COORDINATION
ANALYTIC APTITUDE

HOCKEY was ranked the #1 team sport, scoring 71.750, second overall to boxing which scored 72.375.

Football was #3 with 68.375
Basketball was #4 with 67.875

https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

.... there was also a second study released in the spring I believe from a group that does unbiased studies, and they came to the same conclusion and rankings (can't remember the name of the organization or find the link to the article)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shanahan quote..jpg (55.4 KB, 157 views)
Old 06-05-2022, 08:20 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Steve N- any value to the complaint actually being true? Trent King
It's a different game played today than what I watched growing up. I'm not in love with it, and basketball was never my sport, but my boys and nephews love it. As do a lot of other people apparently. I'm amazed at the level of international interest. If there is one sport I could buy stock in it would undoubtedly be the NBA.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:50 AM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
If there is one sport I could buy stock in it would undoubtedly be the NBA.
I agree, Steve. It's hard to understate the popularity worldwide.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 06-05-2022, 01:49 PM
Bob C.

It doesn't require a 100 yard long field, a baseball diamond, or an ice rink. You don't need gloves, helmets, pads, skates, or any other special equipment other than a ball and a hoop. You can play in a gym on a wood floor, outside on a paved parking lot, playground, or driveway. Heck, you can even play on a bare dirt lot if need be. And you don't need teams to play. You can just as easily play 1-on-1 as 5-on-5. Probably a huge reason why kids in many countries, especially third world countries, are choosing to play. Kind of along the same lines as soccer where you just need a ball and to fashion some kind of goal. That is a huge reason why sports such as basketball and soccer are so big worldwide, and others not so much.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:37 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Uh, you don't need a 100 yard field to 'play' football either. Likewise a baseball diamond. Otherwise you need a full court for a basketball comparison. You need 2 items for basketball, 1 for football, and 2/3 for baseball. Hockey's a different story (needing special conditions like ice unless you are playing roller hockey, also skates and a stick and a ball or puck).

The key to basketball is it can be played without anyone else AND it can be played on most any kind of surface. Also basketball can be played as an individual sport when learning/training how to play. The other's cannot, at least as easily.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:12 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

A fun "modern NBA" moment from last night's game, for those who might have missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ovf...ab_channel=NBA

Last edited by BobbyStrawberry; 06-06-2022 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-06-2022, 01:35 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Uh, you don't need a 100 yard field to 'play' football either. Likewise a baseball diamond. Otherwise you need a full court for a basketball comparison. You need 2 items for basketball, 1 for football, and 2/3 for baseball. Hockey's a different story (needing special conditions like ice unless you are playing roller hockey, also skates and a stick and a ball or puck).

The key to basketball is it can be played without anyone else AND it can be played on most any kind of surface. Also basketball can be played as an individual sport when learning/training how to play. The other's cannot, at least as easily.
The idea is you need a lot more room (and people) for baseball and football, and an ice rink for hockey. The basketball hoop doesn't need much room and area to play. Plus you can play half court, inside or outside. You're basically repeating what I was saying about how it is easier for kids to play basketball than the other mentioned sports. So I assume you agree with my point that I made in the first place about basketball's worldwide popularity possibly being a function of the ease to get a game going and play?
Old 06-11-2022, 07:10 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
The idea is you need a lot more room (and people) for baseball and football, and an ice rink for hockey. The basketball hoop doesn't need much room and area to play. Plus you can play half court, inside or outside. You're basically repeating what I was saying about how it is easier for kids to play basketball than the other mentioned sports. So I assume you agree with my point that I made in the first place about basketball's worldwide popularity possibly being a function of the ease to get a game going and play?
Can't the same argument be used for soccer. Kids are kicking their balls globally.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-11-2022, 07:51 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Can't the same argument be used for soccer. Kids are kicking their balls globally.
Absolutely right Frank, and exactly why soccer (futbol/football to the rest of the world), is likely the most popular sport on the planet in terms of the total number of people that are diehard fans. It is also the one premier sport in the world where the most renowned league(s) on the planet is NOT based in/out of the U.S.