NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-26-2023, 05:14 AM

Default Stolen Card 1888 S.F. Hess N321 Newhert

To the POS scumbag and BALLZIE Punk that stole this card off of my table at the Chantilly show this past Friday while I was setting up and in the middle of dealing with another friend of mine, be very glad that I did not catch you in the act. Heck I am glad I didn't catch you because I am not sure my booth partner would have been able to stop me from caving your skull in.

After being robbed and having our entire showcases removed over night at the 1991 National, I always said God help me if I ever catch someone stealing from me again.

Stolen Card attached, keep your eyes open for me and if you see it, kindly just let me know, I will take it from there. Thanks r337man@yahoo.com.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StolenCard1.jpg (71.1 KB, 1530 views)
File Type: jpg StolenCard2.jpg (60.7 KB, 1534 views)
Old 06-26-2023, 05:30 AM
octavio ranzola

Card is rare tuff to move what a pos to do this ,,hope it works out dan best octavio
Old 06-26-2023, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
Card is rare tuff to move what a pos to do this ,,hope it works out dan best octavio
Yes hopefully by me posting it all over God's creation, he won't be able to sell it. Then it will be worth as much to him as it is to me now since I no longer have it.
Old 06-26-2023, 06:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
Yes hopefully by me posting it all over God's creation, he won't be able to sell it. Then it will be worth as much to him as it is to me now since I no longer have it.
Sorry to hear of this, Dan. Karma is a MOFO though. So the perp should have bad luck....
Maybe someone will see the card, with it's unique characteristics, and let you know. Hope all is well otherwise, my friend.
Old 06-26-2023, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Sorry to hear of this, Dan. Karma is a MOFO though. So the perp should have bad luck....
Maybe someone will see the card, with it's unique characteristics, and let you know. Hope all is well otherwise, my friend.
Thanks buddy! Yea if it pops up, he can't hide it!

Doing super otherwise my friend and thanks for the kind thoughts!

Dan
Old 06-26-2023, 06:58 AM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Hate to see this

Man I hate to see this . Will keep a lookout at our local shows down here. Card has a amazing 3-D quality to it with the tip of his bat outside the frame of the card. Don’t recall seeing another card with this effect.
Old 06-26-2023, 07:06 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Would it be cost prohibative for a seller to have a few small cameras set up on either side of his booth? And a nice sign that says "Smile. . .you are bring filmed". Would certain discourage this kind of crap.
Old 06-26-2023, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Would it be cost prohibative for a seller to have a few small cameras set up on either side of his booth? And a nice sign that says "Smile. . .you are bring filmed". Would certain discourage this kind of crap.
A hockey dealer from Canada used to do that with 1 camera, it was never hooked up but he swore it worked. I don't like the optics of it, I like to think 99.8% of folks are honest. Maybe I am Naive.
Old 06-26-2023, 07:44 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Sorry to hear about that Dan, I've had your Hess on my watch list to buy at some point, it's unique and instantly recognizable. I'll keep an eye out for it and let you know if/when it pops up. Good luck on its recovery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-26-2023, 07:47 AM
Eric

Sorry to hear that. Will keep an eye out online and at the national
1926 Star Player Candy Chick Hafey
1880-1930s Detroit Tigers
Travis Jackson 1925 W461 Exhibits or 1923 V89 William Paterson
Old 06-26-2023, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Sorry to hear about that Dan, I've had your Hess on my watch list to buy at some point, it's unique and instantly recognizable. I'll keep an eye out for it and let you know if/when it pops up. Good luck on its recovery.
TY kindly! Yup sorry it is gone
Old 06-26-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Detroit Collector View Post
Sorry to hear that. Will keep an eye out online and at the national
TY Kindly
Old 06-26-2023, 08:03 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

That sucks Dan! What a d-Bag.
Old 06-26-2023, 08:20 AM
Drew W@i$e

Dan, I am sorry to hear this. I hope you can track down the card.

It seems like this is the new normal now over the last year at shows. Dealers, please remain vigilant.
Old 06-26-2023, 08:32 AM
Tom Re.bert

If possible I would acquire a police Report with any other information required and submit to my private Insurance carrier--depending on the cards value--
Old 06-26-2023, 08:40 AM
Jim Reynolds

I hate a thief.

Any chance that any nearby dealers were running video and may have caught something?
Old 06-26-2023, 09:05 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Sorry to hear that.
Hopefully Karma Catches up with them

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 06-26-2023, 09:38 AM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Nice talking with you at the show Dan. Really a shame this happened to you. Hopefully there was a camera running somewhere that got a good look.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 06-26-2023, 10:59 AM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Lost and Hopefully Found

I hate to see this stuff…makes me feel like we all got kicked in the crotch. And who else did the a-hole rob at the show? Anyway, I was wondering if it would be worth a category for scans like this, where they’re all together in one spot. That way if you had a suspect card, it would be way easier to find, than searching for threads you seem to remember. It would be best if it didn’t have replies, unless relevant to the chase, as it would keep the scans on a few pages, not buried by replies not relevant to the recovery, like this one. Just a thought…

Cheers,
Geno

Last edited by HercDriver; 06-26-2023 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2023, 12:20 PM
Jimmy

Sorry to hear, got to be real careful at these shows now - seems to happen more often then you think - have had issues even at smaller shows and large shows in the New England area

I will keep my eyes open this summer!

Jimmy
Old 06-26-2023, 12:34 PM
Tony Baldwin

Pisses me off every time I hear this happening to someone. Hope you eventually are able to recover the card.

Last edited by SyrNy1960; 06-26-2023 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-26-2023, 12:44 PM
qualitycards

Dan hope you catch the bastard
Old 06-26-2023, 03:22 PM

If anyone knows any of the youtubers who were at the show you might want to check to see if they have any footage.
Old 06-26-2023, 03:27 PM

I am looking forward to the post where you let us know that you got your card back.
Old 06-26-2023, 03:41 PM

WOW! You guys are the best! I truly appreciate the support! Great bunch of collecting friends!
Old 06-26-2023, 04:10 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Sorry to hear Dan, will keep an eye open at the national
Old 06-26-2023, 04:21 PM
Joe Gonsowski

So sorry to hear this Dan.

N321s are pretty rare, this card should be easy to identify if/when it resurfaces. I monitor all SF Hess baseball items with regularity, will keep this card in mind. Best of luck in returning Newhert to its rightful owner.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 06-26-2023, 05:12 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Dan,
Wish I could post something more substantive than just support, but that's all I have. I feel for you and I do firmly believe you will be made whole....
Old 06-26-2023, 08:43 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post

After being robbed and having our entire showcases removed over night at the 1991 National, I always said God help me if I ever catch someone stealing from me again.
Was that an Anaheim National? I forgot the name of the other dealer at the table that got fleeced. He was a great guy. I remember being in the area (east coast, I think outside Baltimore) and going to his home back in the late 90s and purchasing a lot of stuff from him. I'm getting old and my memory isn't what it used to be. What was his name? I know he's already passed away. Incredibly knowledgeable and awesome dealer.

That N321 will be easy to ID (with or without the slab).

Really sorry to read that you're dealing with this crap.
Old 06-26-2023, 09:48 PM
Val Kehl

Dan, I'm saddened to learn of your loss. You mentioned that the thief struck while you were setting up on the first day of the show. Was this before the show was opened to the paying attendees? If so, I'm thinking the thief may be someone associated with one of the other dealers.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-27-2023, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Was that an Anaheim National? I forgot the name of the other dealer at the table that got fleeced. He was a great guy. I remember being in the area (east coast, I think outside Baltimore) and going to his home back in the late 90s and purchasing a lot of stuff from him. I'm getting old and my memory isn't what it used to be. What was his name? I know he's already passed away. Incredibly knowledgeable and awesome dealer.

That N321 will be easy to ID (with or without the slab).

Really sorry to read that you're dealing with this crap.
Yes! Anaheim!

The other Family that was hit was the Levine's

They were a local to CA family, they took a 2nd mortgage out on their house to stock up for that National!

So Sad
Old 06-27-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Dan, I'm saddened to learn of your loss. You mentioned that the thief struck while you were setting up on the first day of the show. Was this before the show was opened to the paying attendees? If so, I'm thinking the thief may be someone associated with one of the other dealers.
Probably right around 11am but there are non dealers walking in and out of the place on Fridays as they have to let dealers in the first time without badges.
Old 06-27-2023, 12:07 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Have you called any of the local pawn shops?

Hope it turns up…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 06-27-2023, 12:13 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Dan, having once had a beautiful '33 Goudey stolen at a Ft. Washington show, I can relate to that empty hollow feeling you must have. Fortunately, my insurer, once they received the police report, was responsive and I received partial reimbursement.
I have never had another Goudey Gehrig that was as nice as the one ripped off me.
Like others, I will keep my eyes open at the National. It is such a rare card that the perp may have trouble fencing it.
John
Old 06-27-2023, 01:13 PM

Collectors who are honest just don't realize what it means to set up and watch for thieves. Having done 39 Nationals, I have lost items periodically and I often write them off to the cost of doing business. But each time I get hit I get more cautious. Most of my display is now in locked showcases and anything left on the table is far enough from anyone so that they would have to reach over my showcases to get them.

But locking the showcases is a pain as it creates more time for me to retrieve items collectors want to look at. But believe me, it does help as long as when you hand a collectors an inch to 2 inches of cards, it means they must be supervised, or you hand them only ten or 15 cards at a time.

I hope I am wrong, but I still think that the time to be most careful is during set up and break down. I am not pointing a finger at the dealers, but there are many individuals who get in at that time who are friends or acquaintances of dealers.

The point of my response is BE CAREFUL. Often the ones you should be careful with, you let your guard down. BE CAREFUL 100% of the time.

Steve_NY
Old 06-27-2023, 01:57 PM
Scott Levy

Very sorry to hear Dan. Will keep an eye out.
Old 06-28-2023, 05:24 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Pisses me off whenever I hear stories like this. Hope you get your card back.

Hope the POS is also caught.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 06-28-2023, 07:48 PM
Val Kehl

I would think/hope that the Dulles Expo Center (where the Chantilly Show is held) would have a system of security cameras covering the entire floor area because this Expo Center is the venue for a variety of shows (e.g., gun shows, antique shows, etc.) throughout the year in which the participating dealers are exhibiting valuable merchandise. Dan, if you haven't already, I suggest you contact the Expo Center management and ask them about security cameras.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.

Last edited by ValKehl; 06-28-2023 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-28-2023, 08:26 PM
Clint

Good luck Dan, I hope you get the card back and soon.
Old 06-28-2023, 10:05 PM
Harvey Berger

Dan,

I hope the pos that did this is found. Very sorry to hear as I was not aware of this when speaking to you at the show.
Old 06-30-2023, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
I would think/hope that the Dulles Expo Center (where the Chantilly Show is held) would have a system of security cameras covering the entire floor area because this Expo Center is the venue for a variety of shows (e.g., gun shows, antique shows, etc.) throughout the year in which the participating dealers are exhibiting valuable merchandise. Dan, if you haven't already, I suggest you contact the Expo Center management and ask them about security cameras.
Sadly no cameras in the Expo Center Val but I like the idea. Probably too much cost and maintenance for the building. It was my own fault, I let my guard down while dealing with my dealer friend. Just amazes me that they did it without both me and him seeing. I had cards everywhere, all over the top of my cases, I was lazy and stupid. Too trusting as I would never even think of taking a card from anyone.
Old 07-03-2023, 06:25 PM

Sorry to hear this ... its a tough card...hope it turns up soon...we'll all keep on the lookout.

Ricky Y
Old 09-16-2023, 02:36 PM

Default Bumping this since it is the Fall show season thanks friends

Please keep an eye out for me thanks
Old 09-16-2023, 04:56 PM
Fred

Just a crazy thought -

I forgot about this card as being stolen and I know we see cards reported as stolen periodically in threads.

Would it be possible to create a "stolen card" topic in the Watercooler section that is stuck to the top. I guess basic criteria would be required such as the card cannot be a basic run of the mill card, it should be either rare/scarce or have substantial value and easily identifiable.

It would be easy to check the topic periodically to remind ourselves what is "hot" out there and if we see it, to take the appropriate action (notify the victim).
Old 09-19-2023, 07:15 PM
edward

Ebay : https://www.ebay.com/itm/372000860775
Old 09-19-2023, 07:19 PM
Frank Wakefield

THAT card looks like Dan's... So did the sale go through, or what???
Old 09-19-2023, 07:21 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsmith View Post
Nice .. ( I hope )
Old 09-19-2023, 07:22 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
THAT card looks like Dan's... So did the sale go through, or what???
darby-s is member here. Doubt it.
Old 09-19-2023, 07:23 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
The listing reads, "This listing was ended by the seller on Sat, Jun 24 at 5:12 AM because the item is no longer available."

Additionally, the seller is darby-s.

Lastly, the original post in this thread was a couple days away from the listing being ended.

This link is to an old listing of Dan's, from right before the theft, correct?

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 09-19-2023, 07:23 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
That's Dan's ebay site, note that the auction was ended a couple days before his original post.

Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 09-19-2023 at 07:24 PM.