NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-19-2023, 02:00 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Default Jim Brown has Passed Away

I was lucky enough to spend an evening with Jim Brown in the mid-1990s and I can say he was one of the finest, most genuine, people I have ever met. After his career as arguably the greatest football player ever he enjoyed a successful acting career and then spent many years working for civil rights and ending gang violence. Not many athletes make an impact on society once they get off the field—Jim Brown did. He will be missed.
Old 05-19-2023, 02:04 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8952A88A-7285-4DF1-B316-9F1CC0E1DD24.jpg (169.7 KB, 496 views)
Old 05-19-2023, 02:09 PM
GaryPassamonte

He was a man amongst boys in his football playing days and was also a great lacrosse player. He is on my Mt Rushmore of greatest athletes of all time. RIP.
Old 05-19-2023, 02:14 PM
Jay Cee

One of GOATs of sports. RIP Jim Brown

Last edited by BeanTown; 05-19-2023 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-19-2023, 02:20 PM
J@mes In.gram

Oh wow. Sad. I have an old 1960s spiral notebook of baseball and pro football photos and clippings from magazines and newspapers. Great photo of #32 in it. I sent it with a prepaid Priority Mail large envelope to him via the "Amer-I-Can" foundation. He signed the photo, and sent the notebook back to me, gratis. He will always be my all-time favorite. RIP, sir, you truly were the greatest.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 05-19-2023, 02:21 PM

In my opinion, the greatest of all time
Old 05-19-2023, 02:54 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Such an inspiration on and off the field. RIP
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 05-19-2023, 02:54 PM
Tony Baldwin

Being from Syracuse myself, have always been a big fan! Great player! RIP 🙏🏻
Old 05-19-2023, 02:58 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Such an inspiration on and off the field. RIP
Well Said Inspiring on and off the field

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 05-19-2023, 03:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Once upon a time, football was primarily a running game played on grass, and nobody did it better.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-19-2023, 03:29 PM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKenKen View Post
In my opinion, the greatest of all time
Indeed, he is. I was lucky to have been able to see him play in 1965 against the Giants at Yankee Stadium. I've never seen a better running back.
Old 05-19-2023, 03:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
Indeed, he is. I was lucky to have been able to see him play in 1965 against the Giants at Yankee Stadium. I've never seen a better running back.
I've read about an exchange, maybe it never really took place, between Huff and Brown.

On play one, Huff stops Brown cold, and tells him Brown, you stink.

On play two, Brown runs for like a 50 yard TD, turns around, and yells, hey Huff, how do I smell from here?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-19-2023, 03:43 PM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I've read about an exchange, maybe it never really took place, between Huff and Brown.

On play one, Huff stops Brown cold, and tells him Brown, you stink.

On play two, Brown runs for like a 50 yard TD, turns around, and yells, hey Huff, how do I smell from here?
LOL Sounds like him. He caught a TD and threw one in the game my father took me to.

Last edited by commishbob; 05-19-2023 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2023, 04:51 PM
Joe

Greatest running back of all time.
Old 05-19-2023, 05:28 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

I remember you as a bigger guy, Jay!

Back in the day when the Giants and the Browns met regularly, the Brown-Huff encounters were classics!

He was a unique individual!

RIP
Old 05-19-2023, 05:33 PM
Eric

an absolute legend. R.I.P
Old 05-19-2023, 05:46 PM
Ted Zanidakis

I enjoyed watching Jim play Football, and and I enjoyed him as an Actor.
Especially in the movie Dirty Dozen.

May God Bless your Soul, Jim....and comfort your Family and friends.

TED Z
Old 05-19-2023, 07:19 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
I enjoyed watching Jim play Football, and and I enjoyed him as an Actor.
Especially in the movie Dirty Dozen.

May God Bless your Soul, Jim....and comfort your Family and friends.

TED Z
Or the 1972 classic Black Gunn with the great Deacon Jones.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dYUZ9u...VhY29uIGpvbmVz

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-20-2023, 10:11 AM
Jeff P

RIP Mr. Brown. One of the all-time great players and the GOAT running back.

jeff
Old 05-21-2023, 05:42 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

GOAT. RIP.

1958 Team Issue

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-21-2023, 06:22 PM
Bob Andrews

'64 Philly Gum jim Brown with what, legend has it, is his gold Cadillac in the background. Nearly all the Browns cards in this set use photos in front of that same fence with the Caddy in the background.

Screenshot (20230521-191830).jpg

(Not my card, I recently sold off my Philly Gum sets)

Last edited by commishbob; 05-21-2023 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2023, 06:40 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Not sure why his history of domestic violence is being ignored.

Brown was arrested at least seven times for assault, mainly against women.[94] During the era when the incidents occured, prominent men were usually not scrutinized for reported offenses against women.[41] He was never found guilty of a major crime;[41] in most of the cases, the women refused to press charges after calling the police.[95] In 1965, Brown was arrested in his hotel room for assault and battery against an 18-year-old Brenda Ayres; he was later acquitted of those charges.[96] A year later, he fought paternity allegations that he fathered her child.[97]

In 1968, Brown was charged with assault with intent to commit murder after model Eva Bohn-Chin was found beneath the balcony of Brown's second-floor apartment.[98] The charges were later dismissed after Bohn-Chin refused to cooperate with the prosecutor's office. Brown was also ordered to pay a $300 fine for striking a deputy sheriff involved in the investigation during the incident. In Brown's autobiography, he stated that Bohn-Chin was angry and jealous over an affair he had been having with Gloria Steinem, and this argument is what led to the "misunderstanding with the police".[99]

Brown in 2000
In 1970, Brown was found not guilty of assault and battery, the charges stemming from a road-rage incident that had occurred in 1969.[100] In 1975, Brown was convicted of misdemeanor battery for beating and choking his golfing partner, Frank Snow. He was sentenced to one day in jail, two years' probation, and a fine of $500.[101][102] In 1985, Brown was charged with raping a 33-year-old woman.[103] The charges were later dismissed.[104] In 1986, he was arrested for assaulting his fiancée Debra Clark.[105] Clark refused to press charges, and he was released.[106]

In 1999, Brown was arrested and charged with making terroristic threats toward his wife Monique. According to Brown, "The only time [we] ever have an argument is during [her menstrual period]". Later that year, he was found guilty of vandalism for smashing her car with a shovel.[107] He was sentenced to three years' probation, one year of domestic violence counseling, and 400 hours of community service or 40 hours on a work crew along with a $1,800 fine.[108] Brown ignored the terms of his sentence and in 2000 was sentenced to six months in jail, which he began serving in 2002 after refusing the court-ordered counseling and community service.[109] He was released after three months.[110][111]

"There is no excuse for violence", said Brown in 2015.[49] "There is never a justification for anyone to impose themselves on someone else. And it will always be incorrect when it comes to a man and a woman, regardless of what might have happened. You need to be man enough to take the blow. That is always the best way. Do not put your hands on a woman

Last edited by atx840; 05-21-2023 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-21-2023, 07:58 PM
Eric Perry

Condolences to the family. The passing of a sports legend is also the passing of a person; someone about whom others cared quite deeply, regardless of the association to athletics.

# # #

On a note related to Jim Brown, something appeared on my Facebook feed that I found noteworthy.

One of the vintage card groups had a post which I'll paraphrase here. Someone was calling for a moratorium on the sale of Jim Brown cards. They cited "respect" as the reason. Their recommended time frame was one week.

Nobody in the group should sell any Jim Brown cards there for a week, out of respect.

I found the notion curious. What would such a thing accomplish? Is this a usual and customary response to an athlete's passing? It might be; I'm not sure.

In the wake (no pun intended) of an athlete's passing, I've seen asking prices for their cards suddenly double, triple, or more. Some (many) find the practice distasteful. I get that. Still, if people are buying X card at Y dollars, should sellers be shamed into not selling it?

From the other side of the equation, look at things from a buyer's point of view. Imagine someone wanted a Jim Brown rookie...but couldn't find one anywhere. It's almost a Yogi-ism. Where can I find a Jim Brown? Oh, nobody's selling them right now; demand is at an all-time high.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 05-21-2023, 09:12 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
Not sure why his history of domestic violence is being ignored.

Brown was arrested at least seven times for assault, mainly against women.[94] During the era when the incidents occured, prominent men were usually not scrutinized for reported offenses against women.[41] He was never found guilty of a major crime;[41] in most of the cases, the women refused to press charges after calling the police.[95] In 1965, Brown was arrested in his hotel room for assault and battery against an 18-year-old Brenda Ayres; he was later acquitted of those charges.[96] A year later, he fought paternity allegations that he fathered her child.[97]

In 1968, Brown was charged with assault with intent to commit murder after model Eva Bohn-Chin was found beneath the balcony of Brown's second-floor apartment.[98] The charges were later dismissed after Bohn-Chin refused to cooperate with the prosecutor's office. Brown was also ordered to pay a $300 fine for striking a deputy sheriff involved in the investigation during the incident. In Brown's autobiography, he stated that Bohn-Chin was angry and jealous over an affair he had been having with Gloria Steinem, and this argument is what led to the "misunderstanding with the police".[99]

Brown in 2000
In 1970, Brown was found not guilty of assault and battery, the charges stemming from a road-rage incident that had occurred in 1969.[100] In 1975, Brown was convicted of misdemeanor battery for beating and choking his golfing partner, Frank Snow. He was sentenced to one day in jail, two years' probation, and a fine of $500.[101][102] In 1985, Brown was charged with raping a 33-year-old woman.[103] The charges were later dismissed.[104] In 1986, he was arrested for assaulting his fiancée Debra Clark.[105] Clark refused to press charges, and he was released.[106]

In 1999, Brown was arrested and charged with making terroristic threats toward his wife Monique. According to Brown, "The only time [we] ever have an argument is during [her menstrual period]". Later that year, he was found guilty of vandalism for smashing her car with a shovel.[107] He was sentenced to three years' probation, one year of domestic violence counseling, and 400 hours of community service or 40 hours on a work crew along with a $1,800 fine.[108] Brown ignored the terms of his sentence and in 2000 was sentenced to six months in jail, which he began serving in 2002 after refusing the court-ordered counseling and community service.[109] He was released after three months.[110][111]

"There is no excuse for violence", said Brown in 2015.[49] "There is never a justification for anyone to impose themselves on someone else. And it will always be incorrect when it comes to a man and a woman, regardless of what might have happened. You need to be man enough to take the blow. That is always the best way. Do not put your hands on a woman

This is what I thought while reading the posts about his allegedly “inspirational” life off of the field. He had a decades long history of consistent abuse, violence and even attempts to murder women. Greatest running back ever, maybe the greatest football player, but he gets a free pass for a lot of truly horrible things. He didn’t make some questionable statements, he threw a woman off a balcony and then assaulted a cop when they came to investigate as just one of his many, consistent violent assaults over decades.
Old 05-22-2023, 07:18 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

Jim Brown belongs in the same class as Bobby Hull. Remarkable athlete who reached the peak of his sport(s), and was a reprehensible human being away from the game.
Old 05-22-2023, 01:07 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post

"... it will always be incorrect when it comes to a man and a woman, regardless of what might have happened. You need to be man enough to take the blow. That is always the best way. Do not put your hands on a woman
I guess he and Bill Burr weren't in each other's fan club. “There is no reason to hit a woman. And I was just like, really? I could give you like 17 right off the top of my head.”

But seriously, I think people are getting tired of the reductivism. Human beings are complex. Most cannot be defined by a single incident or behavior. Jim Brown can be both an exemplary leader in the field of civil rights and a real turd in the domestic arena. There is nothing contradictory in that.

There's also the death thing. A lot of people do not like to speak ill of the dead. Some simply consider it to be in bad taste, like doing a roast for a eulogy. Of course, I think making fun of the dead is hilarious. Safe, too, since they can't sue you.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-22-2023 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2023, 01:11 PM

May he rot.
Old 05-22-2023, 02:45 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

https://andscape.com/features/jim-br...-freedom-song/

Great article by award winning columnist William Rhoden
Old 05-22-2023, 04:41 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Wow...this thread turned quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2023, 05:59 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Wow...this thread turned quickly.
+1 on that.

All I know is, I sent him a spiral notebook scrapbook someone put together in the 1960s that just happens to have a great color photo of him in it. He signed it, and returned it to me in the Priority Mail envelope I included. GRATIS. No charge. This was last year, when he was 86. Name another big name athlete who will do that.

Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 05-22-2023, 06:03 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Guy did some awful things off the field, did some very positive things off the field, and was an amazing athlete. All are true.
Not sure he foots the bill as an amazing person.
Never underatood the whole don't speak ill of the dead thing. Seems to be the perfect time to give an honest assessment of someone's life. And not like he's around to read it anyway.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-22-2023 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-22-2023, 06:18 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

RIP to a great man: a great activist; a great football player; a great lacrosse player.

He always stood up and stood out.

I always think about the vast difference between him and O.J.

Thank You Mr. Brown!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-22-2023, 06:30 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

People wouldn’t bring up his decades of violent assault against women if people weren’t calling his off field life inspirational and describing him as one of the finest of people, a great man. Falsehoods have a tendency to get observed.

It sucks he died, it sucks he beat the shit out of multiple women. The former fact does not bar acknowledgement of the later fact.
Old 05-22-2023, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post

Funny, my first thought was how similar they were. Unfortunately, O.J. still lives.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 05-22-2023 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:18 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
+1 on that.

All i know is, i sent him a spiral notebook scrapbook someone put together in the 1960s that just happens to have a great color photo of him in it. He signed it, and returned it to me in the priority mail envelope i included. Gratis. No charge. This was last year, when he was 86. Name another big name athlete who will do that.
bump!

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 05-23-2023, 02:04 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Only real difference is OJ succeeded at killing his wife.

QUOTE=clydepepper;2342109]RIP to a great man: a great activist; a great football player; a great lacrosse player.

He always stood up and stood out.

Thank You Mr. Brown!

.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-23-2023, 04:59 PM
Bruce Mattioli

We all have Skeletons in the closet. He was one the greatest on the field and brought joy to fans.