NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 12-23-2021, 03:41 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default ERROR CHECK: 'The Baseball 100' by Joe Posnanski

I couldn't even get past the cover (well, the back cover) without finding an obvious error albeit by George Will who forwarded the book.

Quoting from the forward by George F. Will:

'Willie McCovey did something that neither Babe Ruth nor Lou Gehrig nor Barry Bonds did - hit .300, score 100 runs, drive in 100 runs, and walk 100 times in seven consecutive seasons.'

That feat was accomplished by Frank Thomas.

The book publishing business fails the game of Baseball once again.

If anyone would like to run their final drafts by me, I'll be glad to help.

=

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 12-23-2021, 04:38 PM
Bob Andrews

George Will's gaffe notwithstanding, it's a terrific collection of Posnanski's essays. I enjoyed it a great deal as I did when they were published on The Athletic last year.

BTW...I agree, those types of mistakes should never get past the editors.
Old 12-23-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
George Will's gaffe notwithstanding, it's a terrific collection of Posnanski's essays. I enjoyed it a great deal as I did when they were published on The Athletic last year.

BTW...I agree, those types of mistakes should never get past the editors.

Though I haven't started reading it yet, I did check out the rankings. What do you think?

I'd have Yastrzemski and Boggs lower and Seaver and Griffey, Jr. higher.

Kind of a curiosity that at least four of the players would have the same rank as their uniform number.

=

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 12-23-2021, 06:01 PM
John I.

Yikes. I didn't even notice that. I think it's a great book, second on my baseball book list only to the New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract. It's so well- written even my mom enjoys reading it (no kidding).
Old 12-23-2021, 08:16 PM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Though I haven't started reading it yet, I did check out the rankings. What do you think?

I'd have Yastrzemski and Boggs lower and Seaver and Griffey, Jr. higher.

Kind of a curiosity that at least four of the players would have the same rank as their uniform number.

=
Any '100 Best..." list of anything is fun to argue about. I had plenty of quibbles with where he ranked certain players. But he's such a great writer I just kind of got lost in the bios, skipped to a few of my favorite players first, and didn't think too much about where he had them.

Having said that I would agree with you on the four you mentioned. Me, I'd have had Ty Cobb higher than 8 but who do you bump down? I was prepared to skip the Bonds entry but Posnanski wrote it so cleverly addressing both sides of the usual Bonds debate, that I thought it was one of the highlights of the book.

Posnanski's Buck O'Neil book is not to be missed either.
Old 12-24-2021, 12:11 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
I couldn't even get past the cover (well, the back cover) without finding an obvious error albeit by George Will who forwarded the book.

Quoting from the forward by George F. Will:

'Willie McCovey did something that neither Babe Ruth nor Lou Gehrig nor Barry Bonds did - hit .300, score 100 runs, drive in 100 runs, and walk 100 times in seven consecutive seasons.'

That feat was accomplished by Frank Thomas.

The book publishing business fails the game of Baseball once again.

If anyone would like to run their final drafts by me, I'll be glad to help.

=
Ummmmmmm.......that is't any kind of an error on George Will or Joe Posnanski's part if the quote is exactly as you printed it. All it says is McCovey did something that Ruth, Gehrig, and Bonds did not do, which is 100% true. As I'm reading it, nothing is stated that says no one else like Frank Thomas ever did it, just that those three didn't. Is there more to the quote that you didn't put in your post that would prove/show Will made an erroneous statement??? If not, you may need to rethink your original accusation.

Last edited by BobC; 12-24-2021 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-24-2021, 07:54 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Ummmmmmm.......that is't any kind of an error on George Will or Joe Posnanski's part if the quote is exactly as you printed it. All it says is McCovey did something that Ruth, Gehrig, and Bonds did not do, which is 100% true. As I'm reading it, nothing is stated that says no one else like Frank Thomas ever did it, just that those three didn't. Is there more to the quote that you didn't put in your post that would prove/show Will made an erroneous statement??? If not, you may need to rethink your original accusation.
The quote says McCovey accomplished those stats, one look at his record and anyone can see he didn't, therefore it is a erroneous statement.
Old 12-24-2021, 11:19 AM

I committed myself to reading this in order rather than just skipping to my favorite players. I’m only just past the halfway mark, but so far, each essay has been a delight (spoiler alert to the gent who revealed Cobb at #8 a few posts above! ha).

Each essay provides a deeper glimpse into the man himself rather than just the player. I almost consider them to be an abridged version of what you would find on SABR’s BioProject. I love that because with all due respect, regular rankings can be found anywhere on line or in print.

As for the rankings themselves, Joe mentions in the introduction that many players were matched with a number most identifiable to him rather than an ordinal all-time ranking. For example, If you haven’t read the book, you can imagine where he places DiMaggio. That doesn’t mean he actually ranks him that low, just that there is an instant connection between the player and the number.

Another example is my current chapter. Just barely made bis top 50, but it’s laughable to suggest he would actually be ranked that low in a conventional list.

At any rate, this is top notch baseball reading, and if you can look past the actual number assigned to a player, it is WELL worth your time.
Old 12-24-2021, 02:34 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
The quote says McCovey accomplished those stats, one look at his record and anyone can see he didn't, therefore it is a erroneous statement.
Okay, my bad, I thought he meant something else. That's what I get for staying up too late.
Old 12-25-2021, 01:49 PM
Bill H@e1ig

I find factual errors in virtually every baseball book I read.
Old 12-25-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
I find factual errors in virtually every baseball book I read.
Reading baseball card price guides again?
Old 12-25-2021, 04:15 PM

I've now read ten chapters and am impressed by the writing. I'm jumping around with the order of my reading - just letting the book fall open at certain spots as it were.

I'm definitely not hung up on the 'rankings' as everyone has their own opinion for that and I've seen a lot of 'professional' writers take up that thankless task. The essay included here do not link #54 to either #55 or #53, but rather reflect a very individual appreciation for each player.

Thanks to my sister Susan for getting this gem for me at Christmas.

and BobC, she also sent a heating pad...so, we're all staying up too late.

Old 12-25-2021, 04:30 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
I've now read ten chapters and am impressed by the writing. I'm jumping around with the order of my reading - just letting the book fall open at certain spots as it were.

I'm definitely not hung up on the 'rankings' as everyone has their own opinion for that and I've seen a lot of 'professional' writers take up that thankless task. The essay included here do not link #54 to either #55 or #53, but rather reflect a very individual appreciation for each player.

Thanks to my sister Susan for getting this gem for me at Christmas.

and BobC, she also sent a heating pad...so, we're all staying up too late.

LOL

Hallelujah brother! Happy holidays and here's to finally catching up on some sleep.
Old 12-25-2021, 05:02 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Posnanski's Buck O'Neil book is not to be missed either.
He also had a column about the Army-Navy game that ran about ten years ago that is worth a read.
Old 12-26-2021, 06:58 AM
James M.

I love Posnanski's writing, and actually followed the articles as they were being published during the pandemic, just out of curiosity, are they 1-1 copies of the articles he published during his tenure at The Athletic, or is more detail added?

I respect his baseball opinion, and I enjoyed the mix of stories and stats, that we received from his articles. I didn't personally agree with a few of his rankings, but there was nothing truly egregious in my book.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 12-26-2021, 12:33 PM

Default Found Another Obvious One:

Can you spot the error?

Lefty Bob.jpg

Old 12-26-2021, 07:24 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Can you spot the error?

Attachment 494772
Is it that is a reversed image since Gibson threw right handed?
Old 12-26-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Is it that is a reversed image since Gibson threw right handed?

Nope, not a reversed image : Cap and Uniform are correct.

Bob certainly wasn't a lefty...perhaps he was pranking the photograph, but, just like the previously mentioned error, it should have been caught.

Again- I'm available for any writers in need.

Last edited by clydepepper; 01-10-2022 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:07 PM

Well, I'm done to the final three...

several chapters back, I found another error:

Page 477: 'Under McGraw's watchful eye, Mathewson won 253 games with 77 shutouts....'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He won 345 wins with 71 shutouts under McGraw.

27 wins before McGraw and the single one with the Reds; 5 shutouts in 1901 and three in 1902 before McGraw took over.

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000

STILL, I have really enjoyed 'The Baseball 100'.

Agree with more than I disagree with...learned a few things as well:

I've lived in Columbus, GA almost my entire life and attended the same high school as Frank Thomas...and yet, I never heard that he was cut from the team at any time.

I will have to do some research on my own to verify that. Since Frank was already the 'victim' of an error in the forward of this book, perhaps the author is thinking of Michael Jordan being cut from his high school basketball team...I mean, they both played for the Birmingham Barons and both were 6'5" and black...so who knows.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:30 AM

This book is currently on my Audible wish list.

Might someone be able to let me know if Johnny Bench is listed, and if yes as i hope, what number he is ranked?

Thanks as always!
Old 01-10-2022, 09:25 AM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpointone View Post
This book is currently on my Audible wish list.

Might someone be able to let me know if Johnny Bench is listed, and if yes as i hope, what number he is ranked?

Thanks as always!
JB is #30. Among catchers, only Josh Gibson (#15) is ranked higher. Yogi at #43 is the only other catcher in the top 50.

EDITED to add...as noted above, Posnanski got a little 'cute' with some of his assigned ordering of players (Joe D at #56 is one example) so I don't put much stock on the specific ranks. It's a great read however you approach it.

Last edited by commishbob; 01-10-2022 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
JB is #30. Among catchers, only Josh Gibson (#15) is ranked higher. Yogi at #43 is the only other catcher in the top 50.

EDITED to add...as noted above, Posnanski got a little 'cute' with some of his assigned ordering of players (Joe D at #56 is one example) so I don't put much stock on the specific ranks. It's a great read however you approach it.
Thanks sincerely for that insight! I will now likely have to buy it.

Much appreciated, and stay safe, Bob!
Old 01-10-2022, 09:57 AM

Finished this behemoth last night - WHEW!

The author stated that, at over 300,000 words, it's longer than Moby Dick, but I've seen that movie. LOL

Over 800 pages, and though it has a few errors, very enjoyable.

As far as the rankings are concerned, I tried to go in with an open mind and, as a result, I have a greater appreciation for some of those listed.

Any players not ranked would probably be a push IMO.

Old 01-10-2022, 12:24 PM
Bill H@e1ig

you can always contact the author and share with him the errors you found just in case the book goes into a 2nd printing or is re-printed in paperback (I've done that in the past)

Last edited by roarfrom34; 01-10-2022 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling