NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-17-2022, 07:04 PM

Default 1970 Topps Football - Bill Haber

Bill Haber was a serious baseball scholar and one of the founding members of SABR. One of his passions was adding and correcting existing data on major leaguers-- making several player identifications or adding/correcting season statistics. Before his untimely death he completed some of the most difficult T and E card sets. As a Topps employee he was responsible for bringing much of the test/proof/error Topps material into the hobby. The 1973 Topps 1953 retro set was his skunk works project.
He gained a measure of cardboard immortality when he donned a football helmet to appear as the featured player on the 1970 Topps football box.
I remember him as a good friend and an outstanding collector.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Haber.jpg (193.6 KB, 165 views)
Old 06-17-2022, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the story, I had never heard it before, and had no idea it was Bill Haber on the box. But, I'm not a football collector, so may never have even seen the box before.

Bill Haber was a very good friend of mine. He and I were two of the 16 Founding Members of SABR, at Cooperstown in 1971. Now I'm the only one left. Bill brought along his T206 set, in a binder, to the meeting. It hurt me to see the T206 Honus Wagner card. It was the same one that Wirt Gammon had offered me for $500 a year or two before. But I was in college, where was I going to get $500? Bill had a job - and $500 - so he got the card! I did get most of the rest of the set from Wirt over the years - but could still use a Wagner!
Old 06-18-2022, 06:51 PM
Brian Macdonald

Great insight guys, thanks
Old 06-20-2022, 03:18 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hufford View Post
Thanks for the story, I had never heard it before, and had no idea it was Bill Haber on the box. But, I'm not a football collector, so may never have even seen the box before.

Bill Haber was a very good friend of mine. He and I were two of the 16 Founding Members of SABR, at Cooperstown in 1971. Now I'm the only one left. Bill brought along his T206 set, in a binder, to the meeting. It hurt me to see the T206 Honus Wagner card. It was the same one that Wirt Gammon had offered me for $500 a year or two before. But I was in college, where was I going to get $500? Bill had a job - and $500 - so he got the card! I did get most of the rest of the set from Wirt over the years - but could still use a Wagner!
great insight agreed and great story/memories on the Wagner. Wow $500 for a Wagner

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 06-20-2022, 09:50 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRumierz View Post
Bill Haber was a serious baseball scholar and one of the founding members of SABR. One of his passions was adding and correcting existing data on major leaguers-- making several player identifications or adding/correcting season statistics. Before his untimely death he completed some of the most difficult T and E card sets. As a Topps employee he was responsible for bringing much of the test/proof/error Topps material into the hobby. The 1973 Topps 1953 retro set was his skunk works project.
He gained a measure of cardboard immortality when he donned a football helmet to appear as the featured player on the 1970 Topps football box.
I remember him as a good friend and an outstanding collector.
John:

I never knew, or forgot if I did, about him being on the Topps FB box. I have written here in the past about a few dealings I had with Bill back in the day. Including the story of getting the three rare Current All Stars ( Roberts, Konstanty and Stanky) from him in a trade for some T200's.

Recall after he bought Jake Wise's collection going to his place on Staten Island with Mastro and buying a Tattoo Orbit set, some R306 Butter Cream's, and 1938 Foto Fun among other things he had to sell to raise money to repay his credit card for the cash advance he took in order to buy Jake's collection.

The three cards I really wanted from his collection are the INSANELY rare 1960 Topps BB of Faye Thronberry, Cimoli and Hadley with the different team logos. Wonder what lucky collector ended up with those? After all these years I have only been lucky enough to pick up one of them. The Hadley.

He also did research for the original Baseball Encyclopedia and all those who helped with the research like myself were rewarded with their names being included in the front of the book.

The other thing about Bill was the way he collected. He was maniacal about whatever he was collecting at the time. Then when he completed it he sold it and started on something else and did the same thing! I recall Seattle Pop Corn Cards and T200 being two of those pursuits

Good memories of a good guy!

Last edited by whiteymet; 06-20-2022 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:33 PM

John,
I'd never seen that 1970 Topps football box with Bill Haber posing as a New York Jet. I second your sentiments of Bill being a "good friend and outstanding collector," as well as those of Tom and Fred. He used to visit me in Boston whenever he was up visiting his inlaws in Brookline, always bringing an album for show-and-tell, but we spent most of our time together brainstorming about pursuits of missing major leaguers. We collaborated on several player "finds," including Charley Fish (Fisher), who died in the gold fields of Alaska, and Frank Maher, who was seriously injured warming up for his first (and only) major league game. Bill and I shared a passion for Colgan's Chips, a set I am still pecking away at today.
b0b rich@rds0n