NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-04-2014, 07:02 AM

Default Batter Up Color Variations and Sheet Set-Up

In a recent thread about the R318 set, some collaborative searching revealed that, contrary to existing belief, red- and green-printed Batter Ups appear to have been issued only with cards 1-40, as opposed to all 80 "low numbered" cards. This was based upon a review of cards for sale on eBay, the Old Cardboard set gallery and the collections of a couple of members.
Throwing this out to the board for the following:

Does anyone have red or green Batter Ups numbered 41-80? Keep in mind that the pink/purple cards have some variety in the ink, but red cards are truly red.
On the related issue of sheet size, are there any uncut sheets out there that would show how the cards came out of the printing press? If there were 40 card sheets, then that would bolster the idea that the red and green printings were discontinued after the first sheet was distributed.

Thanks to zan, brianp-beme and spec for contributing to this discussion which, if it plays out, might lead to a revision in the set checklist.

Last edited by judsonhamlin; 07-16-2023 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:10 AM
bR!@N R0+H

Thanks for your research. Eager to see what people come up with.

I think because so little is known about this set (either because of accessibility of knowledge or the popularity of the set) it's safe to say that we can make assumptions that your theories are valid, but I'm glad you opened it up to others to contribute.

Greenberg collection
Old 06-04-2014, 11:04 AM

Default Trans-fo and more-fo

Thanks Judson...I was thinking of making the color issue part of a new thread. I have reposted my comments here for easier reference.

All of my red and green Batter-Ups are from #1-40. I have examples of all of the colors for #'s 41-80 except for red and green. Definitely makes it appear like the set, at least the first 80 cards, was issued in groups of 40.

To extrapolate, the higher number cards, which are noticeably shorter, would most likely have been issued in two 56 card groupings, which would account for the 112 additional cards (#'s 81 -192).

Perhaps the first two printings of 40 were 8 across and 5 down on a sheet, while, the second two printings could have been 8 across and 7 down on a sheet (with some of the extra room coming from the shorter heighth of the cards). Thus National Chicle could have dropped the two colors after their first 1-40 sheet run.

A side point...I have always been floored how many HOF players are in the first 40 cards (22), compared to how many are found #'s 41-80 (5). National Chicle was certainly stacking the deck with their first run.

Brian
Old 06-06-2014, 01:46 PM
Chris Counts

All my Batter Ups that are green or red number 40 or lower as well. This partially explains why you see fewer of them. I'm also glad you pointed out the distinction between the pink/magenta cards and those that are red. I'm surprised I've never seen a premium charged for the red and green cards, which seem tougher to find. I'd like to see a population comparison between, for instance, a pink Lefty Grove and a red or green Lefty Grove.

Also, I'm curious about the color varieties in the cards numbered 81 and above. The distinctions ares more subtle, but they definitely exist. Mine have green, blue gold and sepia tints. Are some shades tougher than others or limited to certain cards?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34grovegreen.jpg (59.5 KB, 524 views)
File Type: jpg 34hallahan.jpg (68.0 KB, 524 views)

Last edited by Chris Counts; 06-06-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:09 PM

Default Batter-Up #60 in red

Hi. A friend told me about this thread. I have a Batter Up #60 Morgan in red. I'm attaching a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BU #60 Morgan (Red Sox).jpg (205.3 KB, 454 views)
Old 05-15-2022, 12:52 AM

That appears to be the purple tint. Here is a quote I pulled from Judson's post, which I fully agree with:

"Keep in mind that the pink/purple cards have some variety in the ink, but red cards are truly red".

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 05-15-2022 at 12:53 AM.