NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-12-2021, 11:34 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
I probably started collecting pre-war about 18 years ago. In 2009, I sold off a number of sets I had to help pay for an addition to our house, and about 5 years later, I started putting the sets back together. I probably have about 1300-1400 pre-war cards including the following sets:

1909 T201 set
1911 T3 Turkey Red set
1933 Rittenhouse set
1933 Delong set
1934-36 Diamond Stars master set
1935 Goudey master set
1939-1946 Salutation Exhibit set
1939 Play Ball set
1940 Play Ball set
1941 Play Ball set
1941 Double Play set

I'm currently working on 1927 Exhibits, T202s and T205s, but not up to 75% for any of them yet.

I'm not sure what I would consider the most significant pre-war card that I own from the sets I have, but the T3 Cobb and the 1927 Exhibit Ruth are 2 of my favorite cards in my collection.
Very nice Jay! You have some great sets and a fanastic collection. I hear you about working on sets that aren't even close to 75% yet. For example, I've been working on an N172 Old Judge set and just trying to get at least one card of every player that was ever included in the set. The OJ set is slightly bigger than even the 520 card T206 set, with I believe the last Krause/SCD catalog from 2017 listing 525 different players in it, and there could be another player or two discovered since then that I'm not even aware of. Anyway, I've currently got OJ cards for 50% of the players in the set, but there are many known cards in the set that are so rare and/or expensive that I know the set is impossible for me to ever finish. So I'm planning to just keep going and see how many different player cards I can eventually acquire, without worrying about the card grade or condition too much. Figure I'm halfway now and starting to close in on 300 different player cards, and if I can eventually get to 400 different player cards, I'll be pretty satisfied.

So what do you do in the case of collecting a set where you know up front there is a card(s) that is so rare or expensive that you'll probably never be able to complete the set? For example, you mentioned working on a T205 set. So what do you do about the Hoblitzell "no stats" variation, which is almost impossible to find, let alone afford? Do you just get one of the more common Hoblitzell variations and consider Hoblitzell off your want list and the set complete without all four of the variations, or do you get all the other 3 more common Hoblitzell variations and just disregard the "no stats" variation in completing the set? Kind of like what some T206 collectors do in considering their sets complete at 520 cards and just ignoring the"big four". Interested to hear how you look at things like that.

Last edited by BobC; 10-01-2021 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:40 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post

So what do you do in the case of collecting a set where you know up front there is a card(s) that is so rare or expensive that you'll probably never be able to complete the set? For example, you mentioned working on a T205 set. So what do you do about the Hoblitzell "no stats" variation, which is almost impossible to find, let alone afford? Do you just get one of the more common Hoblitzell variations and consider Hoblitzell off your want list and the set complete without all four of the variations, or do you get all the other 3 more common Hoblitzell variations and just disregard the "no stats" variation in completing the set? Kind of like what some T206 collectors do in considering their sets complete at 218 cards and just ignoring the"big four". Interested to hear how you look at things like that.
I do like to complete sets so I usually only collect sets that I think I can complete. It's probably one of the reasons I haven't ever collected T206s. Since the T205 set can be considered complete at 208 as a basic set without the different variations, I can probably convince myself that I completed it if I eventually get all but a few of the high priced variations, but to be honest it will probably still bug me a little if I don't have them all.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:45 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
I do like to complete sets so I usually only collect sets that I think I can complete. It's probably one of the reasons I haven't ever collected T206s. Since the T205 set can be considered complete at 208 as a basic set without the different variations, I can probably convince myself that I completed it if I eventually get all but a few of the high priced variations, but to be honest it will probably still bug me a little if I don't have them all.
Jay, that makes perfect sense, set your collecting goals as you like, and don't worry about what anyone else does or thinks.

One of the big advantages of my working on so many sets at once is that whenever I look online, at an auction catalog, or attend a show, I literally always seem to be able to come across something that is reasonably priced and in presentable shape that is either needed for a set I'm working on, or is a type card of some set I don't already have an example of. I truly embrace the feeling that the thrill is in the hunt, and not as much so in the kill, to use a metaphor. My downfall is I use the Krause/SCD catalog as my checklist template from the one year they also sold the catalog as a CD (2009 I think). Makes it nice to just highlight items on the pdf file to check off what you have. And you can add notes and comments as you like, and print off any pages for reference or to take with you. The problem is you now have the entire freakin' catalog as a digital checklist so you start checking off everything in it that you already have, and it encourages you to keep collecting and checking more and more things off. Definitely gives you something to keep busy at. LOL

Last edited by BobC; 10-01-2021 at 06:29 PM.