NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-28-2021, 09:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Why Do TPGs Perpetuate This Falsehood?

I still don't, after many years, understand why PSA and SGC both continually put "hand cut' on the flips of W575-1s? They were not, and never were, distributed as strips or hand cut. And if they are hand cut then they are trimmed. Just a peeve....
Maybe they put that with all W cards. And if that is the case then they are just stupid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w575.jpg (76.2 KB, 480 views)

Last edited by Leon; 09-28-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:51 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

That is really annoying. Once these companies get a bit of institutional knowledge it is really hard to change, even if that bit can be proven wrong.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:55 AM
octavio ranzola

Unreal
Old 09-28-2021, 09:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have mentioned this before but to see it still going on just irritates me.
When I sent the complete pack of 20 in to be graded, with the pack they came in, I felt for sure they wouldn't put hand cut on them as they definitely aren't. When I put these all together they were cut almost 100% the same size.
I wasn't happy at all with their mistake..

Last edited by Leon; 09-28-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:11 AM
Ken McMillan

Or how about calling all Koester Bread cards w571-1 cards?

Last edited by kmac32; 09-28-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:14 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Wow. That is really crazy.

I wonder (and this doesn't excuse the decision, just trying to figure out what's going on) if they are suggesting that the issue was hand-cut at the factory (as opposed to machine cut). That seems awfully thin, though.

It reminds me of an issue I often have with the TPGs regarding Japanese tobacco-style menko cards. For many series, the cards were generally issued precut from the factory. But then in each pack were certain "prize cards" with a stamp on the back that entitled the bearer to also get an uncut sheet (ranging from four to sixteen or more cards). Of course, many kids cut up their sheets to have all of the individual cards. But the TPGs insist (willy-nilly? randomly?) some days on simply marking all of the cards as hand-cut, not just those from the prize sheets. Some days they don't. I can find no rhyme nor reason. Anyway, it is different than the W575-1s, which seems cut and dry to me. But it is still annoying....

PS: They also grade all of the prize cards (which contain a stamp from the issuer on the back) as MK. In a sense, they are marked and that makes sense, although it seems there should be some distinction between these factory issued stamps and generally marking like doodling in pen on the back of the card....

Last edited by Frankish; 09-28-2021 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:32 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Get with the times. Hand cut is modern young people's slang for not hand cut.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:53 PM
Mac Wubben

At least yours got the 80...if somebody wants to explain the 2 to me, I'll listen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img410.jpg (77.2 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg img411.jpg (76.2 KB, 344 views)
Old 09-28-2021, 01:58 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcmac View Post
At least yours got the 80...if somebody wants to explain the 2 to me, I'll listen.
There's a stamp on the back. At least it wasn't 2(MK)....
Old 09-28-2021, 02:15 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
it's the mark on the back, silly!
Old 09-28-2021, 02:18 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Get with the times. Hand cut is modern young people's slang for not hand cut.
Sort of like inflammable and flammable.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:28 PM
Al

This aggravates me beyond belief.

And Mac, your Henry Johnson also aggravates me, for two reasons:

1) It seems like that card was submitted and graded as a W575-1 without respect to the back stamp, and the back stamp reduced the technical grade of the card. Nowhere on the card does it say "Henry Johnson Confectioners." This card is its own unique issue, and should be graded as such - it seems as if the card should be a higher-grade card, with the back stamp identifying the issue.

2) With all respect to Jefferson Burdick, Henry Johnson Confectioners cards are not W575-1s. The checklist does not match the W575-1 checklist. They are blank-backed cards from the E121 Series of 80 set, and as such, the "W575-1" designation should be dropped altogether. They should be catalogued as "Henry Johnson Confectioners," and nothing more.

Sorry. The way grading companies treat this entire issue is a sore spot with me.

-Al
Old 09-28-2021, 02:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

OT slightly, but there are countless cards of actors and musicians issued by Dutch Gum, they came out of packs, I've opened packs, but they are always labeled H/C.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:22 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I am not aware that Burdick said the Henry Johnson's are W575-1 nor did he distinguish -1s from -2s. In his latest revision in 1967 he said "W575" and named different similar sets including the -2s, but not Henry Johnson's.
Had he had the internet his job would have been easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
This aggravates me beyond belief.

And Mac, your Henry Johnson also aggravates me, for two reasons:

1) It seems like that card was submitted and graded as a W575-1 without respect to the back stamp, and the back stamp reduced the technical grade of the card. Nowhere on the card does it say "Henry Johnson Confectioners." This card is its own unique issue, and should be graded as such - it seems as if the card should be a higher-grade card, with the back stamp identifying the issue.

2) With all respect to Jefferson Burdick, Henry Johnson Confectioners cards are not W575-1s. The checklist does not match the W575-1 checklist. They are blank-backed cards from the E121 Series of 80 set, and as such, the "W575-1" designation should be dropped altogether. They should be catalogued as "Henry Johnson Confectioners," and nothing more.

Sorry. The way grading companies treat this entire issue is a sore spot with me.

-Al
Old 09-28-2021, 04:00 PM
Al

Ah! I always thought Burdick was the reason you disagreed with me on this one, Leon. So we can just call them Henry Johnson Confectioners?

I feel a modicum of relief.

-Al
Old 09-28-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I still don't, after many years, understand why PSA and SGC both continually put "hand cut' on the flips of W575-1s? They were not, and never were, distributed as strips or hand cut. And if they are hand cut then they are trimmed. Just a peeve....
Maybe they put that with all W cards. And if that is the case then they are just stupid.
Leon has a valid point with his card examples, but I would also point out that there are 'W575-1' cards out there that have been hand cut. I believe that the cards were issued in strip form as well, and have provided some examples that definitely point to that conclusion. The Danforth and Gowdy appear similar to the quality and look of W501 cards. Unfortunately TPG companies like to lump everything into a bucket and cling onto old designations.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w575dash1trio 001.jpg (78.4 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg w575dash1triobacks 001.jpg (79.4 KB, 256 views)
Old 09-28-2021, 04:28 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I still don't, after many years, understand why PSA and SGC both continually put "hand cut' on the flips of W575-1s?...

And if that is the case then they are just stupid.
I think it's a combination of stupid and the fact that after they get your money, they don't really care.

Doug
Old 09-28-2021, 06:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
Ah! I always thought Burdick was the reason you disagreed with me on this one, Leon. So we can just call them Henry Johnson Confectioners?

I feel a modicum of relief.

-Al
I believe I have wrongly lumped them into w575 before but Burdick didn't
Old 09-28-2021, 06:54 PM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
The stamp on back is crooked :-)
Old 09-28-2021, 07:00 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Accusing TPGs of perpetuating anything is risky.

Perpetuating is a big word.

Perhaps they are virtually perpetuating falsehoods, but I doubt that they can affirm or deny it.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:47 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I wonder if enough people make enough noise about this issue if they wouldn't correct it going forward?

I'm reminded of the 1921 Churchman Babe Ruth card. In the past, both PSA and SGC used to only put "Sports & Games" on the flip, omitting Babe Ruth's name. But enough people (or at least the right people) apparently made enough noise with SGC to coerce them to start putting his name on the flip. Now, both BVG and SGC put "Babe Ruth" on their flips for this card, but PSA still omits it.

Here's a couple pics one with and one without his name on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600a.jpg (19.9 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600b.jpg (18.5 KB, 151 views)
Old 09-28-2021, 10:53 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Leon has a valid point with his card examples, but I would also point out that there are 'W575-1' cards out there that have been hand cut. I believe that the cards were issued in strip form as well, and have provided some examples that definitely point to that conclusion. The Danforth and Gowdy appear similar to the quality and look of W501 cards. Unfortunately TPG companies like to lump everything into a bucket and cling onto old designations.

Brian
Brian, I believe that your Danforth and Gowdy cards ARE in fact W501 cards - that is, W501-Type 2 cards in that they don't have "G-4-22" in the upper left corner and a card # in the upper right corner. Below is the portion of Rhett Yeakley's fantastic 2011 Old Cardboard article that describes the two types of W501 cards plus pics of my W501-Type 1 and W501-Type 2 cards of WaJo and Sam Rice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W501 piece from OC - 1 of 3.jpg (90.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg W501 piece from OC - 2 of 3.jpg (85.9 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg W501 piece from OC - 3 of 3.jpg (82.9 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg W501-1 & W501-2 - fronts.jpg (78.1 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg W501-1 Rice - front.jpg (79.3 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg W501-2 Rice.jpg (70.3 KB, 106 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.