NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-05-2018, 03:37 PM

Hi,

My question is ... if you're so disassociated with Battlefield ... then how did you get my name to send me an email today advertising your services?

I have never dealt with you. But I did buy from Battlefield on Ebay (and my purchase was okay actually). They would have had my contact information. So the only way I can conceive of that you got my information is from someone you have disassociated yourself from.

Are you now claiming they gave you their entire inventory and all of their sales contact information?

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 03-05-2018, 03:45 PM
Ben North

If anyone is going to bid on anything in this auction please PM me. There is a small lot of beaters I would like to throw a low ball bid at. For one small lot of cheap beaters I am not going to register with them. Thanks
Old 03-05-2018, 04:01 PM
Jeff Lar.son

I want to believe you, but it's hard when you say you're disassociating yourself from them, and then auction their remaining inventory. I think that's the opposite of disassociating.

In addition, there's a lot of lots that have no business not being graded, and are not identified as authentic (unless I'm missing it). For example, the NM Clemente rookie and NM+ 1956 Mantle. Unless you know them to be suspect, why not get them graded prior to auctioning?

- Jeff
Old 03-05-2018, 04:10 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batpig View Post
why not get them graded prior to auctioning?
Maybe pay for 5-day Express service in order to get them back mid-month?
Old 03-05-2018, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
I want to believe you, but it's hard when you say you're disassociating yourself from them, and then auction their remaining inventory. I think that's the opposite of disassociating.

In addition, there's a lot of lots that have no business not being graded, and are not identified as authentic (unless I'm missing it). For example, the NM Clemente rookie and NM+ 1956 Mantle. Unless you know them to be suspect, why not get them graded prior to auctioning?

- Jeff
Hi Jeff,

We want our company disassociated with them. We operate nothing like they did. We want to be upfront and honest about every item we sell. If we believe a card has been altered it will be posted in the title and description. That is the only way to be successful in this industry. As cardsnstuff (Tony) mentioned earlier in the thread, I have updated the Auction Rules on the website indicating that if any card we haven't identified as altered is submitted for grading and comes back as such we will encourage the buyer to return the card for a full refund. There are many cards in the auction that should absolutely be sent in for grading and should receive good grades in my opinion.

Thanks,

Daniel
Old 03-05-2018, 05:20 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Just my 2 cents, but I would never ever buy a raw card from an auction peppered with cards from Battlefield's inventory. Auction industry standard is now, for better or worse, to have all major individual cards slabbed. The fact that you have chosen not to do so, coupled with your unfortunate hobby lineage and inventory source, is, if not telling, then baffling at very least.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:45 PM
Frank Evanov

Default "Authentic"

I'm having difficulty with your description "....has the appearance of a NM-MT card with no creases and excellent centering but measures a bit smaller than the standard size and would likely only receive a grade of “Authentic” if submitted to any of the major grading companies." Many of your high end cards have this notation.

Are you saying that these cards are trimmed? If so, why not come out and just say that?

Generally PSA will not slab a trimmed card:

"PSA will not grade cards that bear evidence of trimming, re-coloring, restoration, or any other forms of tampering, or are of questionable authenticity."
Old 03-05-2018, 05:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantlefan View Post
I'm having difficulty with your description "....has the appearance of a NM-MT card with no creases and excellent centering but measures a bit smaller than the standard size and would likely only receive a grade of “Authentic” if submitted to any of the major grading companies." Many of your high end cards have this notation.

Are you saying that these cards are trimmed? If so, why not come out and just say that?

Generally PSA will not slab a trimmed card:

"PSA will not grade cards that bear evidence of trimming, re-coloring, restoration, or any other forms of tampering, or are of questionable authenticity."
They could just be small. Back in the day people were always telling me their small cards were "natural shorts."

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:24 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Just my 2 cents, but I would never ever buy a raw card from an auction peppered with cards from Battlefield's inventory. Auction industry standard is now, for better or worse, to have all major individual cards slabbed. The fact that you have chosen not to do so, coupled with your unfortunate hobby lineage and inventory source, is, if not telling, then baffling at very least.
Exactly.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:36 AM

Default Bingo

Quote:

- Jeff

I am not buying candiman is here to be robinhood. I think battlefield and candiman are the same entity.

Basket of deplorables

Toby Petersen

Last edited by bigfish; 03-06-2018 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:42 AM
Peter Spaeth

Anyone up for taking a chance on a NM MT Red Heart Mantle?
http://candimanauctions.com/Mickey_M...kee-LOT38.aspx

How about a NM 52T Jackie?
http://candimanauctions.com/Jackie_R...yn_-LOT29.aspx

NM/MT Brooks rookie?
http://candimanauctions.com/Brooks_R...Bal-LOT57.aspx

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-06-2018 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:48 AM

Default Peter,

If you look at them for more than 30 seconds you get seasick and need a fisherman’s friend.

Sigh 😔
Old 03-06-2018, 07:02 AM
Robert Williams

I'll admit, I'm one of the worst at detecting trimmed cards. On some of these, it's almost like they are too good to be true. Unfortunately, due to battlefields history of duping people in their quest for the almighty dollar, I am hesitant to bid aggressively on any of these lots, knowing full well the likelihood they will come back "AUTHENTIC" only is strong. Honestly, I would be surprised if any of these go higher than "A" prices. If people submit these for grading, and are rewarded, I predict you will be very successful in this business. If they submit for grading, and are disappointed, then I predict this is a one and done.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:06 AM
Jeff Lar.son

I feel sorry for the other 15 people who consigned for this auction.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:10 AM
Al Richter

Just another walk in Leon's Park 54
Old 03-06-2018, 07:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Anyone up for taking a chance on a NM MT Red Heart Mantle?
http://candimanauctions.com/Mickey_M...kee-LOT38.aspx

How about a NM 52T Jackie?
http://candimanauctions.com/Jackie_R...yn_-LOT29.aspx

NM/MT Brooks rookie?
http://candimanauctions.com/Brooks_R...Bal-LOT57.aspx
To me those look like three fraudulent listings. So much for making a new start.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:11 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
To me those look like three fraudulent listings. So much for making a new start.
Obviously, I am not a card guy as most of you know.
But I do read some threads on this side from time to time.
"This card appears to be" from the OP's description on his website is all the wording I think anyone would need to know where he is coming from.
To offer those cards, non-graded, in a "major" internet auction is certainly telling.
Why do these people even come on Net54 and try to defend themselves? This board is way too smart to let anyone come on here and try to fool us.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 03-07-2018, 08:07 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
I am not buying candiman is here to be robinhood. I think battlefield and candiman are the same entity.

Basket of deplorables

Toby Petersen
I don't know that to be true. However, I had some issues with battlefield in July (I guess that's why I didn't get an email from them!). My takeaways from that and going forward are:

1. Once I filed a return claim on Ebay, I received and traded messages on Ebay. The tone was not nice, as I was not happy they relisted and sold all of the cards again, including one that had unmentioned paper loss on the back, BEFORE they refunded my money. The verbage of those messages did not have the feel of coming from a female. They also didn't contain wording what I would think of as coming from an 80+ yr old man and felt like they were coming with someone younger. I can't prove it and I went back and those messages are no longer on Ebay. So Daniel, if it wasn't you or your brother, who was handling that part of the business for your parents?

2. Battlefield and then War Eagle Vintage both used Auctiva software. They listed 500-600 cards per week. I apologize if I offend some of our older collectors who are computer savvy, but how realistic is that they didn't have help from the kids. I could be wrong on this one as I'm almost 50 myself, but I still thought it far fetched that war eagle vintage could be up and running so fast, especially if you believed the story in their listings, which brings me to #3......

3. When War Eagle Vintage started selling right after Battlefield stopped, their listings included a story about how they were selling a lifelong collection after recently retiring, blah blah blah. "Their story" certainly didn't give the feel of "we've been in business for a long time screwing people". It was also noted here that several of the cards listed were recently purchased as authentic, with comparable pics to prove it.

So I ask, why should we believe this is not just another story spun as was done with war_eagle_vintage? It seems Ebay was no longer an option, so another way to do business had to be found. Spin it with a new story and make money? Keep in mind, Battlefield took returns and issued refunds. So is changing their policy on refunds as a member suggested here, really helpful? It sounds good, but if you sell enough stuff and make enough money, who cares if you have to take returns? It works for WalMart!

One of the other things I read about Candiman, Inc. existing since 2011 makes me question things. What is the history there? Maybe it's already been answered, but an explanation there would be nice.

One last thought... even if everything they say is true and they are "clean" and don't/never approve of how their parents did business, aren't buyers of these cards simply rewarding the parents anyway? If the money is going back to them, it doesn't seem like them being "out of the business" is true.

Last edited by Jenx34; 03-07-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:14 PM
David Ros.enberg

How hard would it be for Silkroadauction to shut down this charade?
Old 03-07-2018, 10:14 PM
Jay Cee

One thing I noticed when registering to bid on their auction. You are approved right away no matter what information you put down. No verification on anything and approval happens right after you hit submit.

Last edited by BeanTown; 03-07-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:18 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandimanAuctions View Post
Hey guys,

My name is Daniel and along with my brother Justin, we are the owners of Candiman Auctions. We We want to be upfront and honest with everyone about our association with them. We are related to the owners as I'm sure everyone on here already suspected based on our last name.
Related? Really? You make your parents sound like distant cousins. If you wanted to be upfront and honest, you could have been a little more transparent about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenx34 View Post
even if everything they say is true and they are "clean" and don't/never approve of how their parents did business, aren't buyers of these cards simply rewarding the parents anyway? If the money is going back to them, it doesn't seem like them being "out of the business" is true.
Exactly. Even if they are disassociated from their parents, anyone who bids in this auction is rewarding their parents. They don't deserve our bids.

I believe the brothers should be judged apart from their parents. Problem is, Candiman appears to be nothing more than a revamped Battlefield.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
Hi,

My question is ... if you're so disassociated with Battlefield ... then how did you get my name to send me an email today advertising your services?

Thanks,
Patrick
Hi Patrick,

Since this is our first auction we asked our consignors if they would provide us an email list of people they have dealt with in the past that they thought might be interested in the auction. Your email address must have been on the list that either they gave us or one of our other consignors. It is not easy starting an auction site and we have tried to utilize every option to reach as many people that would possibly be interested in bidding in the auction. Our company operates nothing like they did. We are here to do things the right way. The only way to do that is to be open and honest like Leon advised me to do with this thread. I hope I am able to answer everyone's questions and ease their concerns. We love this hobby and really want to be a part of it.

Thanks,

Daniel