NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-15-2020, 11:41 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
Forrest Main above being returned. There is damage on the back (despite the "clean back" description for it and most of that seller's high numbers.) So it turns out the lack of scans of the backs in his listings is probably for reasons other than laziness. Given how eagerly people bid for his stuff, I was hoping that wasn't the case.

Adding to the list of sellers being avoided. No longer going to update here until I get something and it's as described and shown (as it appears my return rate on these '52s may be well higher than the norm)

96/407
I rarely, if ever anymore, unless I've asked for additional information, bid on any sellers who don't show back scans.
I learned my lesson the hard way bidding on a 52 Topps Larry Doby card that also didn't have a back scan.
I was naive and took their word the card was VG but when I received the card, it had paper loss on the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Larry Doby.jpg (77.1 KB, 476 views)
Old 02-15-2020, 12:10 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I rarely, if ever anymore, unless I've asked for additional information, bid on any sellers who don't show back scans.
I learned my lesson the hard way bidding on a 52 Topps Larry Doby card that also didn't have a back scan.
I was naive and took their word the card was VG but when I received the card, it had paper loss on the back.
Likewise about rarely buying without full scans. I knew the drill about these things, but since this seller appears to have so many decent looking high numbers, I thought I'd take the chance with one of them (and find out if it was someone who might be used reliably for a long time to come for them, especially since they're so tough to find for a decent price).
Old 02-15-2020, 12:28 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Likewise about rarely buying without full scans. I knew the drill about these things, but since this seller appears to have so many decent looking high numbers, I thought I'd take the chance with one of them (and find out if it was someone who might be used reliably for a long time to come for them, especially since they're so tough to find for a decent price).
It's definitely a live and learn hobby where it requires more than just trusting the seller and their listings.

I've made some mistakes and have made out OK occasionally but just when you think you know what your're doing, you get kicked in the ---sack again!

I just purchased a card the other night I thought I did very well on only to realize, through the info from asking another site member, I likely overpaid for it.

Despite these occasional hiccups along the way, none, so far, have made me want to stop collecting.

Good luck with your continued set build.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:16 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I just picked up another partial 52 set. I've been averaging about 1 per month. Upgrading mine, and selling castoffs. I'll tell ya, deals are few to be had. There are a ton of eyeballs on these singles and lots, and of course you have the nefarious activity and speculators boosting prices.

I paid full retail for a full low set and 10 highs, to get 7 highs I needed! it appears with will be low number upgrades thankfully.

It is a lot of work and requires patience, but don't keep bad cards that don't fit, you don't like, or ones you think might be trimmed. More so overpaying for ones that would be a psa 1 because f a defect you didn't know about...with eye appeal!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 02-15-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:35 AM
J0hn H@rper

Opinions on the toughest notable high number to both find and get a fair price on?

From what I've seen, it's Hoyt Wilhelm. Even though the Mathews has the rep for it, seems like Hoyt is even worse. Its BV is 10-15% of the set's Mays, for example, but you're gonna pay almost half of Willie for the few that you'll find offered. Crazy.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:10 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Easy answer

Tony bartirome!

One guy has been hoarding them. About $300 for one in Poor condition these days

Old 02-21-2020, 06:24 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Easy answer

Tony bartirome!

One guy has been hoarding them. About $300 for one in Poor condition these days
Just looked....

He's more expensive than Wilhelm. I hadn't looked into any outliers in the high number commons yet (wasn't much point since I know I'll probably be picking them up at such a very low rate), and I had not heard about the Bartirome befuddlement.

Thanks for the info. That one will be plenty of fun....
Old 02-21-2020, 06:46 AM
J0hn H@rper

A few commons picked up and a nice SGC 4 Rizzuto that no one seemed to want.

An overall update:

I now have just over 1/4 of the set. Am satisfied with what I've gotten for the $ so far. Berra PSA 4, Rizzuto SGC 4, Feller SGC 5.5, high # Koshorek PSA 9 OC, Klu raw 4-5, Hodges raw 4-5, and the rest commons with a few very minor stars.

The commons/minors are grade 1.5-3, with very few a shade higher. I doubt this trend of higher grades for the stars will continue. But when it comes to some of these lower demand bigger names.....why spend the 25 bucks necessary for a much inferior card when I can occasionally find something much nicer for 45? (Hodges, in that case).

$1200 spent on all these '52 T so far

103/407
Old 02-21-2020, 06:51 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Opinions on the toughest notable high number to both find and get a fair price on?

From what I've seen, it's Hoyt Wilhelm. Even though the Mathews has the rep for it, seems like Hoyt is even worse. Its BV is 10-15% of the set's Mays, for example, but you're gonna pay almost half of Willie for the few that you'll find offered. Crazy.
Roy Campanella also comes to mind.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:54 AM
Al Richter

There is a great back story on the Bartirome hoarder. Glad I got mine years ago.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:16 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
There is a great back story on the Bartirome hoarder. Glad I got mine years ago.
Just googled it. That will make for an interesting bathroom read (or three)
Old 02-21-2020, 09:08 AM
Al Richter

He either started or participated in a thread here about his intent to buy all of the 52 Bartirome cards
Old 02-22-2020, 12:12 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
He either started or participated in a thread here about his intent to buy all of the 52 Bartirome cards
He actually started it.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=211710

I believe this is the most recent sale of a high graded Bartirome?
https://www.psacard.com/auctionprice...ction/3179371/
Old 02-24-2020, 03:22 AM
J0hn H@rper

I've read up on the Bartirome/Bartiromo saga.

It seems like just another of his typical scams that would quickly come and go. But if so, why are the Bartirome's still so artificially inflated? It's been over four years, and people still seem to panic to get one
Old 02-24-2020, 07:27 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I've read up on the Bartirome/Bartiromo saga.

It seems like just another of his typical scams that would quickly come and go. But if so, why are the Bartirome's still so artificially inflated? It's been over four years, and people still seem to panic to get one
I believe I read it here, and the story was he is still purchasing these cards so a lot/some of the sales we are seeing are still associated with him. Some current buyers are still selling their auction wins to him, as supposedly, he is still buying them up?

Don't take this to the bank, however, as I can't tell you how long ago it was that I read that, but I do recall reading it.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:46 AM

This thread has renewed my interest in starting from scratch again, a raw fair to vg 1952 topps set!!!

I assume it's best to get a nice starter lot first? But as was mentioned if you were to pick up each individual card, you would getting good value compared to other sets.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:01 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Another high number found in an auction tonight: #380 Koshorek

A PSA 9 OC that's a little diamond cut (not my norm, nor is buying this grade for my set). No one else wanted it, despite the opening bid being just double what the raw grade 2 high numbers were selling for last week. That makes me feel like I'm really missing something.

But reputable dealer and the card isn't on that massive PSA altered list that's been circulated. How often nowadays can you really get a high number like this (and especially for that price)? So I broke some of my protocols.

97/407

Nice card......who cares about registry etc. Buy the card not the holder. What is interesting is the MC and OC on PSA are considered 2 grades lower but in reality price wise I have found it to be much lower than that...3-4 grades lower. You certainly got a great price, but i find interesting when a seller of OC/MC cards compares their card to what a card sold for that was 2 grades lower when in reality they really should be comparing to one that is 3-4 grades lower ...but registry is king apparently
Old 02-25-2020, 11:00 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Nice card......who cares about registry etc. Buy the card not the holder. What is interesting is the MC and OC on PSA are considered 2 grades lower but in reality price wise I have found it to be much lower than that...3-4 grades lower. You certainly got a great price, but i find interesting when a seller of OC/MC cards compares their card to what a card sold for that was 2 grades lower when in reality they really should be comparing to one that is 3-4 grades lower ...but registry is king apparently
Thanks. My favorite part of this one is that the OC qualifier shouldn't even really be there (not like it's the typical 75/25 - 80/20 or worse for it). If it had been graded with the no qualifier clause, it's hard to imagine that not being a 7.

But people see the dreaded (OC) and run for the hills, regardless of what's inside the slab. Fine with me since I'm not concerned about those types of resale issues. These '52s aren't going anywhere, so just want the best cards for the best price.

Speaking of shunned off-center material, those have been fun too. I expected to get some nice stuff at a noticeable discount that way, and that has happened so far. A grade 4-5 card that's 80/20 in one direction for the same price as a 2.5 with that much more worn look (but is 60/40ish)? I'll take that all day.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:20 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
This thread has renewed my interest in starting from scratch again, a raw fair to vg 1952 topps set!!!

I assume it's best to get a nice starter lot first? But as was mentioned if you were to pick up each individual card, you would getting good value compared to other sets.
If you do get a starter lot, I would take my time and pick the biggest one that you can afford (while being sure it mostly fits what you'll be satisfied with, since it's easy to lose a little patience and cut corners!)

Because if your starting lot is something like 30 or 50 cards, then you can't buy many other lots going forward (yet you still have most of the way to go). Even that many will still have you looking at future similar lots (or even smaller ones) and usually realizing that since you already have 5 or 10 of the cards, it's not really worth it.

Then you're already stuck getting singles or very small groups that occasionally fit the bill. I'm already in that spot; it doesn't take long.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:17 PM
J0hn H@rper

First major purchase for the set.....bought Don's '52 T Mays from the BST. BVG 3.5

I'm realizing already that there's no point in adhering to some of my expected "rules" for this project. Going to look at something, think "is this the xxx card that I want for the set at this price". Everything else is very secondary. Though the "no really bad beaters" will still stay.

It's liberating to not have to think "never this this this or that"

104/407
Old 02-28-2020, 07:09 AM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Quote:
First major purchase for the set.....bought Don's '52 T Mays from the BST. BVG 3.5

I'm realizing already that there's no point in adhering to some of my expected "rules" for this project. Going to look at something, think "is this the xxx card that I want for the set at this price". Everything else is very secondary. Though the "no really bad beaters" will still stay.

It's liberating to not have to think "never this this this or that"

104/407
I recently adopted the same approach. I'm also building a 52 set and I'm at the same completion point. I bought all the low number big cards in the 5-6 range, but I just can't maintain that. I'm now going for decent appeal/price rather than strict criteria. Makes it much easier and will save me a ton in the process. Something had to give, as I haven't even tackled the high numbers or the big one. Best of luck on your chase.

-Bill
Old 03-04-2020, 03:08 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bks14sr View Post
I recently adopted the same approach. I'm also building a 52 set and I'm at the same completion point. I bought all the low number big cards in the 5-6 range, but I just can't maintain that. I'm now going for decent appeal/price rather than strict criteria. Makes it much easier and will save me a ton in the process. Something had to give, as I haven't even tackled the high numbers or the big one. Best of luck on your chase.

-Bill
Yep, sounds similar to how my low number big cards are ending up a better grade than expected (i.e 4-5 range). Now that I only have Snider, Spahn, and Billy Martin left to get out of that group, I could easily end up with virtually all of the biggest HOF #1 -310 cards being a better grade than most of my commons.

Didn't plan it that way, but it's where the value has been w/ what I've found so far. Prefer it that way too
Old 03-04-2020, 03:12 PM
J0hn H@rper

Runnels reacquired (this time for good) and bumped into a few commons.

108/407

Last edited by cardsagain74; 03-05-2020 at 03:08 AM.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:46 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
It's definitely a live and learn hobby where it requires more than just trusting the seller and their listings.

I've made some mistakes and have made out OK occasionally but just when you think you know what your're doing, you get kicked in the ---sack again!

I just purchased a card the other night I thought I did very well on only to realize, through the info from asking another site member, I likely overpaid for it.

Despite these occasional hiccups along the way, none, so far, have made me want to stop collecting.

Good luck with your continued set build.
The card in question, which just arrived today.

It was pointed out to me, after I purchased it, that the card might be damaged, which, after looking more closely at it, I realized it myself. (my excitement about purchasing/winning it got the best of me)

Needless to say, I was somewhat concerned up until today, but upon arrival, I was glad to see it was either a shadow or something else that showed up on the back scan of the card.

1952 Topps Johnny Sain error card with the Joe Page bio.

This was the last pitcher Ruth faced in 1935 and the first pitcher Jackie Robinson faced in his MLB debut in 1947.

I'm pretty happy, especially now, to own this card!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnny Sain Joe Page bio 52 Topps back.jpg (79.6 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg Johnny Sain Joe Page bio 52 Topps front.jpg (77.6 KB, 311 views)
Old 03-10-2020, 06:42 PM
Mike Dugan

Irv great card. Maybe I misunderstood your post but Sain broke into the majors in 1942 and Page in 1944. Neither would have faced Ruth.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:56 PM
Randy Trierweiler

From Johnny Sains obituary:

During World War II, he became a Navy aviator and pitched for a military team that included Ted Williams and other big leaguers. On July 28, 1943, his team played an exhibition game at Yankee Stadium against a group of major leaguers managed by Babe Ruth.

"In the fifth inning, Babe decides to pinch-hit," Mr. Sain once recalled. "So here I am, pitching to the Babe. Between me and the ump, we walked the Babe."

It was the last time Ruth ever appeared in an organized game. Four years later, on April 15, 1947, Mr. Sain was the first pitcher to face Jackie Robinson, who broke baseball's color barrier with the Brooklyn Dodgers.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:06 PM
D@le Irv*n

I wasn't aware of the whole story Cardinal collector posted but I will add these. (below)
Although I can no longer find the story (still searching) I read an article that read, due to Sain being the last pitcher Ruth faced and the first pitcher Jackie faced, this is why the Sain, Page bio error is more sought after than the Page, Sain error card.
PSA's article is wrong. It states Ruth faced Sain in 1935, which is not true. 1943 makes a lot more sense.

John Franklin “Johnny” Sain (September 25, 1917 - November 7, 2006) has the unique distinction of being the final pitcher that Babe Ruth faced in his career in 1935 and the first hurler that Jackie Robinson would face in the big leagues after breaking the color barrier in 1947.

https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/ba...t-bio-49/22973

Sain also had the distinction of being the last pitcher to face Babe Ruth[3] in a game and the first in the Major League to throw a pitch against Jackie Robinson.[4]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Sain

Last edited by irv; 03-10-2020 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:10 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Since I need a signed Al Benton, I've found he is the only pitcher to face both Ruth and Mantle

Old 03-10-2020, 07:18 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Since I need a signed Al Benton, I've found he is the only pitcher to face both Ruth and Mantle
Interesting! Never knew that either.

Benton is known for being the only pitcher to face both Babe Ruth (in 1934) and Mickey Mantle (in 1952)[1] (Bobo Newsom was also active – but never actually faced Mantle). Benton is also the only player to have two sacrifice bunts in the same inning, against the Cleveland Indians on August 6, 1941.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Benton
Old 03-13-2020, 02:45 PM
J0hn H@rper

PSA 4 Billy Martin and three high number PSA 2 to 3 commons picked up yesterday.

Only 93 high numbers left now Including all the big ones

112/407
Old 03-13-2020, 04:03 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
PSA 4 Billy Martin and three high number PSA 2 to 3 commons picked up yesterday.

Only 93 high numbers left now Including all the big ones

112/407
Glad to hear you're making good progress, John. I need to get refocused and concentrate on finishing my low number run instead chasing and spending my money on variations and other cards that I don't necessarily need.

Post up picks when you can. I know I like seeing them as I'm sure many others do as well.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:21 PM
J0hn H@rper

Thanks Irv!

I'm sure most of you saw all those high numbers up for auction last night. I spewed bids all over (most ended at around the same time, which made tracking your progress and sniping a mess).

I'm ok with the three I won (for the price), but it was nothing to write home about. The typical story for acquiring these in the current market for them
Old 03-13-2020, 05:12 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Thanks Irv!

I'm sure most of you saw all those high numbers up for auction last night. I spewed bids all over (most ended at around the same time, which made tracking your progress and sniping a mess).

I'm ok with the three I won (for the price), but it was nothing to write home about. The typical story for acquiring these in the current market for them
Truthfully, with my recent Sain/Page error purchase and the CDN dollar in the absolute crapper, I am not even watching anymore. I purchased a card on the cheap about 5 days ago after my Sain purchase and I'm regretting even doing that.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:49 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
I need to get refocused and concentrate on finishing my low number run instead chasing and spending my money on variations and other cards that I don't necessarily need.
I hadn't really bought anything but '52 T since I started going after the set, but that's mostly because I'd already filled most of my general wish list I expected to get anytime soon (rather than ironclad willpower or focus!)

Did pick up something different tonight though....finally got the Mantle. '68 Mantle that is. Always liked the look of the '65 and '68 Micks, so those were a backburner thing for when I happened to bump into something worthwhile. Tonight that happened with a Greg Morris nice low grade '68. One of those bids that you never expected to hold up, and consider it a nice surprise when "pay now" is your next fee-bay bell message

He had a couple more disastrous '68 Mantles up too. For GM stuff, mine would have usually gone for about 70-75 bucks and those beaters for 50-55 each. But tonight, mine went for 52 and the beaters 33 and 46.

Last edited by cardsagain74; 03-18-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:25 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
Interesting! Never knew that either.

Benton is known for being the only pitcher to face both Babe Ruth (in 1934) and Mickey Mantle (in 1952)[1] (Bobo Newsom was also active – but never actually faced Mantle). Benton is also the only player to have two sacrifice bunts in the same inning, against the Cleveland Indians on August 6, 1941.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Benton
He also faced Gehrig and DiMaggio. The only pitcher to have faced all four of them...
Old 03-19-2020, 07:58 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgannon View Post
He also faced Gehrig and DiMaggio. The only pitcher to have faced all four of them...
Wow. Who would have ever guessed anyone would have faced all 4 of those HOF's.

Thanks for sharing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Al Benton 52 Topps High Number.jpg (71.1 KB, 330 views)
Old 03-19-2020, 08:12 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I hadn't really bought anything but '52 T since I started going after the set, but that's mostly because I'd already filled most of my general wish list I expected to get anytime soon (rather than ironclad willpower or focus!)

Did pick up something different tonight though....finally got the Mantle. '68 Mantle that is. Always liked the look of the '65 and '68 Micks, so those were a backburner thing for when I happened to bump into something worthwhile. Tonight that happened with a Greg Morris nice low grade '68. One of those bids that you never expected to hold up, and consider it a nice surprise when "pay now" is your next fee-bay bell message

He had a couple more disastrous '68 Mantles up too. For GM stuff, mine would have usually gone for about 70-75 bucks and those beaters for 50-55 each. But tonight, mine went for 52 and the beaters 33 and 46.
I was offered a Connor McDavid foil card last night, that I had been watching for a while, for half price so I jumped on it.
When I paid, I seen the CDN dollar, through PayPal, was at .67 cents!
Needless to say, my purchases from U.S. sellers is going to stop/cease for a while until this covid situation passes and the stock market/CDN dollar improves.
I was purchasing quite a few hockey cards from CDN sellers lately and I think that is what I will continue to do but I am also going to slow down with those as well until things recover.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:03 PM
J0hn H@rper

Used some of this downtime to make a better log and organize more. Realized that there are two '52s that I just cannot use, and one that was accidentally duped.

As I went more meticulously through these, I found that I am plenty satisfied with the overall presentation factor/eye appeal of the set so far.

The average condition of the stars/high numbers is 4.2, and it's 2.5 for the commons. Close to what I'd assumed. Graded by both TPGs and my own fairly critical eye (not ebay "grades") Estimated each resale value too, not BVs.

All this confirms the so far, so good feel I've had about it all. It's nice to feel some positivity in the midst of everything, even for something that obviously pales in comparison to what's important in the world at the moment.

Total cost so far: $2740. Total resale value: $3795

109/407
Old 03-26-2020, 08:50 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
a fun set...as you can see from my username...i could never get the right mantle as i have assembled almost all the other cards a few times
I'd never looked at your set. The condition of those

No wonder it was tough to find the Mantle or Mathews for that one.

Did you really stop pressing on with it in December 2014?
Old 03-28-2020, 08:34 PM
J0hn H@rper

A quarantined '52 T set builder's thoughts from a typical night on ebay:

- "There's that grade 2.5 Duke Snider for 90 bucks 'ending' again. For the 804th time this week. May wanna second guess the price buddy"

- "How many cards out of that lot do I need? 4 out of 6. Usually 4 of 6"

- "Oooo a Matthews is up today. Maybe I should finally give it a shot. Not what I really expected to get, but they'll never get any easier to find, so maybe I better not be picky about him. Ok I'll bid. Hmm outbid already"

- "Where is Hoyt? His cards dance away more than his knuckleball did"

And, as always for most of us....

- "I've never seen a finish line that seems so far away as getting all the high numbers"
Old 03-28-2020, 09:59 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
A quarantined '52 T set builder's thoughts from a typical night on ebay:

- "There's that grade 2.5 Duke Snider for 90 bucks 'ending' again. For the 804th time this week. May wanna second guess the price buddy"

- "How many cards out of that lot do I need? 4 out of 6. Usually 4 of 6"

- "Oooo a Matthews is up today. Maybe I should finally give it a shot. Not what I really expected to get, but they'll never get any easier to find, so maybe I better not be picky about him. Ok I'll bid. Hmm outbid already"

- "Where is Hoyt? His cards dance away more than his knuckleball did"

And, as always for most of us....

- "I've never seen a finish line that seems so far away as getting all the high numbers"
Just looking at a $1,499 Mathews just now equates to $2,111 CDN. Add the $34 U.S. shipping ($48 CDN) and that card would cost me $2,159 dollars!
Like I mentioned in a previous post, I will be waiting for a while yet on any further U.S. sales, unfortunately, but I'm glad to read you're still picking away, John.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:21 PM

Who is collecting their set all graded, or all raw or a combination?

At this point, most of what I am getting is pretty much all raw, except for a few here and there that have been graded (which are HOF's or High numbers)

I don't know for uniformity if I am going to crack the slabs and have it all raw, or just leave them how they are.

Who here is storing their set in a binder, who is using card savers/top loaders?
Old 03-31-2020, 04:07 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

At this point, most of what I am getting is pretty much all raw, except for a few here and there that have been graded (which are HOF's or High numbers)

I don't know for uniformity if I am going to crack the slabs and have it all raw, or just leave them how they are.

Who here is storing their set in a binder, who is using card savers/top loaders?
Hi Jason.

Like the bold, that is exactly what I am doing, only the slabbed/graded cards I have are not, for the most part, HOF's.

I am currently storing my less valuable cards in a metal case that is likely very similar to a large camera case. They are either in sleeves and top loaders or in the card savers 2's they came in. I normally transfer them from the card savers and place them in sleeves and top loaders, but I still have quite a few I haven't gotten around to yet.

I have cracked a few of my graded cards, namely my Beckett's, as I didn't like the way they scanned but truth be told now, I regret doing that as they would have likely been easier to sell in the future?

How far along are you on your set and are you looking to purchase any? I have approx 16 dupes that are rough, as in creased/wrinkled/dinged corners, OC, etc, but also about 6 that are just OC mainly but in VG-EX condition.

I also have 2 PSA graded ones as well. A PSA VG-3 Richie Ashburn and a PSA good 2 in Billy Johnson if you are interested?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg (78.3 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg Billy Johnson 1.jpg (49.2 KB, 255 views)
Old 03-31-2020, 05:40 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I'm collecting in raw and graded in a slew of holders. Upgrading along the way and one day it will be all PSA 3s and 4s. Just easier to sell that way one day, whether it's me or my kin.

Plucked two Highs from the remaining 16 or so in my sigline, but still need plenty of upgrades.

I have a batch at psa of 41 cards which mostly will come back mostly 4s and a few a little nicer that will go for sale.

I have graded hughs in a med flat rate box, graded others in 2 long boxes, and finally have raw in top loaders in a 3rd long box

Old 03-31-2020, 07:50 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I've started to collect the '52s. Had about 50 already and decided to take the plunge, though only into the shallow end (low numbers) of the pool.

I'm collecting them raw (VGish) and will be putting them in an album.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 04-02-2020, 08:40 AM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Quote:

I have a roughly 50/50 combination of raw and graded at this point. I have 165/310 for the low numbers, but all the big cards PSA or SGC graded 5-6 range. I'm now filling in the gaps where I can raw or graded, solely looking at card appeal and relative cost. I've been working with a few members on here lately filling numbers on my list with nice raw lots.

Regarding storage, just been filling shoe boxes with majority. My big cards go in heat/water resistant safes with some desiccant bags.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:30 AM
+0m J()rd@N

What if Mick was #310, instead of #311?

Where would the market be?
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 04-02-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
What if Mick was #310, instead of #311?

Where would the market be?

That is an interesting question!
Old 04-02-2020, 01:32 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:

I'm getting a combination of raw/graded (not much of a factor in my choices). The better the card, the more likely I've ended up with a graded one. One of the few things where this set has been no different than others!

Top loaders and the usual storage boxes. Not a fan of binders, regardless of something's value.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:02 PM
J0hn H@rper

Too much quarantine buying for this lately

A bunch of commons/minors, a lower grade Snider, and four PSA 1.5 high numbers. The finish line for the low numbers is easy to see, as I now have more than half of them (with just Pafko and Spahn being the only cards of any relevance left).

But the high numbers. Yup.

The four that I just picked up were barely worth it. If that. I was happy paying what I did for the few slabbed grade 3ish ones a few weeks ago, but this was a little different. Need to slightly reassess this balance of need the card/tough to get/maybe the market for them is still going up that fast/but am I still overpaying.

Whenever I see the occasional Jackie R or Mathews go up, a winning bid hasn't come quite close enough to happening yet. Either the card just isn't nice enough to pay "that" for it, or someone else wanted it more at the moment. That could change at any time, but I'm in no hurry.

The Mantle though.....could anyone feel that comfortable paying current market price for it, with how our economy's future could be at the moment?

Holding on for the ride.

183/407

Last edited by cardsagain74; 04-02-2020 at 02:06 PM.