NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-11-2019, 10:38 AM

After being untouched for many years, I finally sorted all my 1970-1976 Topps Baseball, Basketball and Football cards (mostly Ex-Mt) last week. I also found out I need glasses, don't recall the numbers being so hard to see on some sets.

Is anyone working on any of these sets? If so, please send me your want lists and let me know if you have any extra 1973 and 1975 Minis to trade.

Thank you,

Mike
Old 07-31-2020, 11:37 PM

I kinda like around PSA 3 range that presents well, I got the 65 off here from a fellow member.

Last edited by gustomania; 07-31-2020 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:37 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Very nice Koufax cards. Other than my Kaline's, I live in the 2-5 range.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:52 AM
James M.

One poster made a comment about it before, sure while owning high graded cards would be nice, I get the same amount of joy from the lower graded pieces. I mainly target good eye appeal when I'm looking for a card, the numerical grade doesn't really matter to me.

I think it also comes down to there are Certain cards on my list that I'll never be able to afford in higher grades. I would love a high grade 34 Goudey Gehrig #61 or a high grade t206 Dark Cap Matty, or a high grade 51 Bowman Mantle. However unless I inherit a fortune from an unknown relative or happen to hit the lottery, that's not gonna happen.

Plus there's something romantic about a well worn card in my opinion. It maks you wonder how many hands it passed through? Who collected it i the first place?
Old 08-01-2020, 11:25 AM
Phil

Default Mid-Grade Collectors

In December of last year I purchased two fair conditioned 1953 Bowman color commons at a local card show and it ignited a passion I've had since the 1970s to own a complete set. I decided on putting a set together in mostly vg/ex condition as it reflected more or less the types of older cards in the 70s when I was a teenager. eBay has been my main source for purchase, about 156 of the 160 have been obtained from there. To fund my set I have been selling many of my Topps Heritage master sets and SSP variations.

Overall I would rank my set to be in vg/ex + condition with about 45% in vg/ex condition. Thirty-three cards are graded. Most of my high series is still in vg/ex condition. I have been upgrading commons to ex to ex/mint condition here and there. When I began I was able to purchase the high number commons in vg/ex shape from some wonderful eBay dealers anywhere from $3-$5 each, those days, unfortunately, seem to have disappeared. Here is a sample of some of my cards from the set:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53b3yanks.jpg (74.4 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg 53bberra.jpg (76.3 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg 53bford.jpg (76.7 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg 53bfriend.jpg (78.2 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg 53bmantle.jpg (76.6 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg 53bmartin.jpg (74.9 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg 53bmusial.jpg (70.1 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg 53bsnider.jpg (76.9 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg 53bspahn.jpg (74.5 KB, 423 views)
Old 08-01-2020, 08:11 PM
J0hn H@rper

In addition to grade 3-5 usually looking pretty good, it often seems like there's less demand for post-war vintage in that range (compared to the many current "gotta have the card" collectors who want to spend as little as possible and thus keep a fairly high floor for the lowest grades' prices).

And naturally the scarcity and higher-end luxury feel to grade 6-7 and above often makes those a totally different ballpark than mid-grade.

So I've always felt that grade 3-5 is clearly the best combo of value and visual appeal. You'd think there would be a lot more others out there who feel the same as many of us here, but the market doesn't really dictate that. Making it the range that I usually focus on for my '50s and '60s collection.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:51 AM
Patrick

I'm glad this thread got bumped to the top because you guys are my kind of collectors. I like low grade cards for many of the reasons that you guys have already said. I like how it gives them a certain character and makes them feel more real. I usually don't mind if there's a visible crease or 2, if they are off center or have bad corners. The only things that bother me are paper loss, lots of writing or if part of the card are missing. I'm also a big fan of how it allows me to afford more cards in the set that I'm building or more of the random cards that I think are cool.

Last edited by Natswin2019; 08-02-2020 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:26 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natswin2019 View Post
I'm glad this thread got bumped to the top because you guys are my kind of collectors. I like low grade cards for many of the reasons that you guys have already said. I like how it gives them a certain character and makes them feel more real. I usually don't mind if there's a visible crease or 2, if they are off center or has bad corners. The only things that bother me are paper loss, lots of writing or if part of the card are missing. I'm also a big fan of how it allows me to afford more cards in the set that I'm building or more of the random cards that I think are cool and to pick up.
I look for the same type of cards as you. It's all about how the card looks, and there are plenty of lower grade cards that look just fine when they are in a binder. I'm fine with some minor creases as long as they don't have a major impact on how the card looks. I also try to avoid paper loss and writing as well as tears and pinholes. There is no way I would have nearly as much in my collection otherwise.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:12 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

I understand the feeling of not wanting writing on a card in your set, but I love cards like this. I just imagine the kid drawing all over the card back in the 60's and think they are awesome. I'd have a better copy for my set, but definitely like having these in my collection all the same.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1966 Topps Bill Faul.jpg (45.1 KB, 400 views)

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 08-02-2020, 12:45 PM
Phil

My war crimes against cards:

In 1970 I collected the Odd Rods stickers along with my baseball cards. I stuck the Odd Rods on a box and when they began to come off I glued them to my baseball cards.

Also, my grandmother decided to separate mine and my brother's 1970s by writing "Santa Claus" on the fronts of his cards. He was going through an identity crisis as a 5-year-old at the time, calling himself Santa.

For 1971 I discovered the magic of push pins and I put several of my 71 Topps on the wall by pushing the pin through the dot on the front of the card.

Finally, in 1976, I wanted to display some of my Clemente cards in frames on the wall of my bedroom. Lacking plastic sheets I taped them to the backing of the frames. Needless to say, when I finally decided to remove the cards, it damaged the backs. I had to replace them all.

Just wondering, did any of my former cards end up in anyone's collections?
Old 08-02-2020, 03:04 PM
Tom S

I have been collecting since 1978 and have always liked cards in ex-mt or better condition.

Card prices for cards in NM condition (pre 1980) are bordering on the ridiculous.

I attempted to buy a 1975 common in a Greg Morris auction several weeks ago. It was NM with a big print dot. I was willing to pay 2.00. The darn thing sold for 11.50. A bidding war for Larrin freaking Lagrow.

I've come to the conclusion that even tho I don't collect graded cards I am still bidding against investors who are buying cards to grade.

For this reason, mid grade is the way to go. As long as the card has decent centering with honest wear, that's good enough for me.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:13 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere1071 View Post
Also, my grandmother decided to separate mine and my brother's 1970s by writing "Santa Claus" on the fronts of his cards. He was going through an identity crisis as a 5-year-old at the time, calling himself Santa.
That's the best anecdote I've heard in quite some time...

Last edited by jchcollins; 08-03-2020 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:19 AM
J0hn Collin$

I have mentioned it before, perhaps even somewhere back in the history of this very thread - but to me the tradeoff between midgrade or lower and true high grade cards also comes back to my eventual disappointment with true high grade cards. Whether subconsciously or not, if I buy a vintage card in a PSA 7 or 8, I'm going to expect it to be virtually perfect. The problem there of course is "virtually perfect" cards are 10's, not 7's. I've fallen into that trap again at least once even as recently as this spring - that PSA 7 which was so nice looking actually had an edge ding I'm not happy with, or that SGC 88 which looked great online has dull color in real life. The truth is I would not be unhappy with either card if they had been in the 5 - 6 range and I had paid correspondingly lower for them. But when I pay for higher, I apparently get the problem of unrealistic expectation onset - even though I've known how to properly grade for decades.

Last edited by jchcollins; 08-03-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:01 AM
Phil

Two thoughts- Back in the 1970s having a card that was ex/mint was fine. The notion of having something "gem mint" was exploited by a number of the "rock star" dealers who hyped cards as an investment. I remember that even Mr. Mint himself, Al Rosen, initially opposed graded cards, but he sure pushed his other inventory.

Secondly, some of you may be familiar with Bill Heitmann. I once had a conversation with him back in the 80s where we mused on the notion of "gem mint." He noted that most cards are printed on acidic paper which over time breaks down. His point was that the term "gem mint" was a misnomer as our objects of devotion begin to break down little by little over time- much like our significant non-sports card others (my comment, not his.)

A card doesn't have to be "perfect" to validate a collection.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:27 PM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I have mentioned it before, perhaps even somewhere back in the history of this very thread - but to me the tradeoff between midgrade or lower and true high grade cards also comes back to my eventual disappointment with true high grade cards. Whether subconsciously or not, if I buy a vintage card in a PSA 7 or 8, I'm going to expect it to be virtually perfect. The problem there of course is "virtually perfect" cards are 10's, not 7's. I've fallen into that trap again at least once even as recently as this spring - that PSA 7 which was so nice looking actually had an edge ding I'm not happy with, or that SGC 88 which looked great online has dull color in real life. The truth is I would not be unhappy with either card if they had been in the 5 - 6 range and I had paid correspondingly lower for them. But when I pay for higher, I apparently get the problem of unrealistic expectation onset - even though I've known how to properly grade for decades.

I feel the same way! If I get a great looking 6 I think I got a deal, but if I see a flaw in a 7 I’m annoyed. It’s like my optimism-pessimism for expectations flips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2020, 07:06 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusJReilly View Post
I feel the same way! If I get a great looking 6 I think I got a deal, but if I see a flaw in a 7 I’m annoyed. It’s like my optimism-pessimism for expectations flips.
I don't have this problem for the most part with 60's cards and earlier because it's rare that I buy a 7 or higher there. But recently for '72 and '76 projects, I decided to buy a few 7's and 8's. Some I was happy with. But the '72 Clemente in an 8 which was basically a 10 with a noticeable edge ding was horrible. I couldn't get over it. I sold the card and bought a slightly o/c 6 for a price I was happy with. (The corners on the 6 are gem, btw. Centering and a minor print flaw were apparently the only problems...) My '76 Nolan Ryan in an SGC 5.5 looks better than my original of the the same card in an 8, which has sharper corners, but horrible dull coloring. So the lesson learned was I apparently don't need to buy super high grade in 70's cards either...

Last edited by jchcollins; 08-03-2020 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:33 PM
Emlily Ell.is

I love mid grade. It's the only way I can afford to collect. I can't afford NM-Mt or Mint stuff with my budget. I'd rather have a card in Ex over not having it at all. Also, I don't deal with anything graded. I like to put cards into binders when I'm building sets.

That said, I typically look for Ex with no creases, bends, indentations or wrinkles, no paper loss, pin holes, writing, no rounded corners and 70-30 or better centering.

I love seeing all these cards. Makes me want to up my game a bit. But my small budget ($40/week) doesn't allow for that. I'm not like most collectors in that I either have to save up to get something nice, or I have to sell some of my PC in order to get something nicer, quicker.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:40 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan View Post
I'm not like most collectors in that I either have to save up to get something nice, or I have to sell some of my PC in order to get something nicer, quicker.
I think you are in a bigger boat than you might imagine. I don't have a huge budget for cards. I generally buy stuff twice a year - around Christmas and my birthday. There are some far-between windfalls at times, but for the most part other than that, I will sell parts of my collection that are old or less interesting to me to buy more "new" old cards.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:48 PM
Phil

I'm in the same boat where I have to use money outside my paycheck which means having to sell parts of my collection. Over the years I have had to get rid of some nice cards and memorabilia to purchase something else. The 53 Bowman set is a keeper, though.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:11 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

I have enjoyed reading this thread and seeing the different collecting tastes of everyone. Nothing like finding a low-mid-grade card that looks like a 7 or 8 on quick glance. Here are few of my low-mid-grade cards.

Last edited by jb67; 08-03-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:22 PM
David M.

Wow David, there are some choice cards in that group! What's up with the 1954 Aaron? Looks amazing in the scan.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:28 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Wow David, there are some choice cards in that group! What's up with the 1954 Aaron? Looks amazing in the scan.
Thanks. The Aaron has a very tiny wrinkle starting at the top of the card going into the second letter "A" in Aaron. Very hard to see but that is what keeps it under a 5.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:10 AM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb67 View Post
I have enjoyed reading this thread and seeing the different collecting tastes of everyone. Nothing like finding a low-mid-grade card that looks like a 7 or 8 on quick glance. Here are few of my low-mid-grade cards.

Fantastic examples of mid-grade treasures!

Old 08-04-2020, 06:17 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Stunning Gibson. Finding one with bright color centered like that is an accomplishment indeed.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:50 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Beautiful cards!
Old 08-04-2020, 09:25 PM
Matthew

Default Mid-Grade Collectors

First off, I love this thread because it perfectly captures my collecting focus and what I believe to be the sweet spot for vintage cards in terms of balancing eye appeal and cost. Great thread!

Here’s a collage of my mid grade 1956 Topps stars. Since creating it I’ve upgraded the Williams and the Reese, but haven’t gotten around to making a new collage. I hope to make a new version in the coming weeks. Thanks for the look:

Last edited by IgnatiusJReilly; 08-04-2020 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:31 PM
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
I look for the same type of cards as you. It's all about how the card looks, and there are plenty of lower grade cards that look just fine when they are in a binder. I'm fine with some minor creases as long as they don't have a major impact on how the card looks. I also try to avoid paper loss and writing as well as tears and pinholes. There is no way I would have nearly as much in my collection otherwise.
Exactly my thinking. Why pay 500$ for a perfect card when I can get the same card for 20$ and the only difference is that the corners are a bit dinged up. I still get the same amount of enjoyment out of the card and can get several more cards with the money I saved.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:48 AM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

I think grading has become a fetish with modern collectors. I like a card in good condition, but so many collectors buy grades, not cards. Who cares? If you want to make money off of people who care about grades, it serves a purpose, I guess. You look at some of those cards in this thread that don't grade high, and to me, they're everything I would ever want in a baseball card. I don't think of them as "mid-grade". I think of them as good baseball cards.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:59 AM
Phil

I know what you mean. Last night I had hoped to pick up a few PSA 6 commons for my 53 Bowman color from the PWCC auction. The bids on those cards quickly ended that hope! However, there's a dealer on eBay, grpoch, that's selling a number of cards that are in decent, ungraded condition at a heck of a lot less money. I picked up a Billy Pierce that's in excellent condition for a fraction that the one sold for last night.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:45 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
I know what you mean. Last night I had hoped to pick up a few PSA 6 commons for my 53 Bowman color from the PWCC auction. The bids on those cards quickly ended that hope! However, there's a dealer on eBay, grpoch, that's selling a number of cards that are in decent, ungraded condition at a heck of a lot less money. I picked up a Billy Pierce that's in excellent condition for a fraction that the one sold for last night.
Yeah, good for you! I'll tell you the truth, I don't like slabs. To me, they're sterile prisons for the card. That's just my opinion of course. I could see putting a T206 Wagner in one, but to me, they overtake the card. I do put my cards in toploaders and also in sleeves. But with the topholder, it's almost like holding the card itself. You can go through them the way you do with cards.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:24 PM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgannon View Post
Yeah, good for you! I'll tell you the truth, I don't like slabs. To me, they're sterile prisons for the card. That's just my opinion of course. I could see putting a T206 Wagner in one, but to me, they overtake the card. I do put my cards in toploaders and also in sleeves. But with the topholder, it's almost like holding the card itself. You can go through them the way you do with cards.
I prefer raw cards as well, but on the 53 Bowmans with the exception of the Reese and Campanella, I purchased the more expensive cards in slabs due to counterfeiting or doctoring cards. I posted a few of them on this page if you scroll up a bit. Eventually, I would like to trade my slabbed cards for their raw equivalents, but the non-slabbed cards would have to be in equal condition. If I had the money or could trade I wouldn't mind going for something that was raw that would be better than what I have slabbed.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:33 PM

Ignatius - I like your 56 collection. I am slowly working on a 56 HoF run myself. I have decided to pick up graded cards for this project.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:16 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

In the current price bubble even our stuff is going crazy. I saw a 1957 Topps Bill Russell in a PSA 1.5 holder sell for $3199 the other night. My VG Aaron RC is worth more than I got for a NM one I sold several years ago.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-13-2020, 11:54 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I saw a 1957 Topps Bill Russell in a PSA 1.5 holder sell for $3199 the other night.
I had no idea that Russell card was even in that ballpark. I know a '56 Topps Jackie Robinson in lower grade used to be something you could pickup for less than $100, recently a PSA 2 sold for more than $300.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:35 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
I prefer raw cards as well, but on the 53 Bowmans with the exception of the Reese and Campanella, I purchased the more expensive cards in slabs due to counterfeiting or doctoring cards. I posted a few of them on this page if you scroll up a bit. Eventually, I would like to trade my slabbed cards for their raw equivalents, but the non-slabbed cards would have to be in equal condition. If I had the money or could trade I wouldn't mind going for something that was raw that would be better than what I have slabbed.
Yeah, I can understand the concern about counterfeiting and doctoring. It's sad that things have gotten to that. You can always take your slabbed cards out of the slabs too!
Old 08-13-2020, 06:01 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
I posted in this thread way back and thought I was done, but I enjoy it so darn much! You guys are like my brothers from another mother! I don't really like slabs either, and I wonder how many collectors truly do? In no way am I trying to down how someone else collects. If someone likes collecting them, more power to them. No judgment from me whatsoever.

I am a bit frustrated though. At times I rant and rave about slabs, and I know I greatly prefer ungraded cards. Yet, many times when it comes that magical experience I like to call "buying time," I don't always find just a ton of ungraded options that I really feel good about. I have cracked slabs in my time but not lately. So, yes, I do have some lower to mid grade cards in a binder as part of sets, and I love them. I love handling them, smelling them, reading them, shuffling them, etc. But I also have a box with several slabs in them, and this is where most of the "value" of my collection rests.

I guess it doesn't have to be all one way or the other. Perhaps a little of both isn't the worst thing in the world. When buying a graded card, I still try and do my due diligence just as I would when buying an ungraded card. I believe in some cases, slabs have made us lazy in that we as collectors sometimes think we don't have to know as much about the cards we buy because the TPGer has done that work for us. As we all know, there are altered cards in TPGer slabs. I don't blindly accept their opinions. Plus, I want to do that work. That is collecting.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:18 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
I posted in this thread way back and thought I was done, but I enjoy it so darn much! You guys are like my brothers from another mother! I don't really like slabs either, and I wonder how many collectors truly do? In no way am I trying to down how someone else collects. If someone likes collecting them, more power to them. No judgment from me whatsoever.

I am a bit frustrated though. At times I rant and rave about slabs, and I know I greatly prefer ungraded cards. Yet, many times when it comes that magical experience I like to call "buying time," I don't always find just a ton of ungraded options that I really feel good about. I have cracked slabs in my time but not lately. So, yes, I do have some lower to mid grade cards in a binder as part of sets, and I love them. I love handling them, smelling them, reading them, shuffling them, etc. But I also have a box with several slabs in them, and this is where most of the "value" of my collection rests.

I guess it doesn't have to be all one way or the other. Perhaps a little of both isn't the worst thing in the world. When buying a graded card, I still try and do my due diligence just as I would when buying an ungraded card. I believe in some cases, slabs have made us lazy in that we as collectors sometimes think we don't have to know as much about the cards we buy because the TPGer has done that work for us. As we all know, there are altered cards in TPGer slabs. I don't blindly accept their opinions. Plus, I want to do that work. That is collecting.
Hey Robert -

Yeah, my whole thing about slabs, is that to me, it represents where the hobby got too cutthroat and mercenary. People concentrating more on the the resale value of the card, the card as an "investment", that kind of stuff. But there are also collector's who truly like that presentation, and like you say, if that's how they like to collect, it's cool. And with some cards also, it might be a good idea to buy a graded card to be on the safe side.

You know, I didn't really realize that this thread is over 2 years old! I'm going to go back and read the thread.

I had a huge collection of cards that I foolishly gave away. Mostly 60s and 70s stuff, with some 50s thrown in as well. Also had some football, basketball, and hockey. It really started to bother me a few years ago, and I got back into collecting last year, saying to myself, "Well, I'll never get the cards I had back at the price I got them at, but there's no reason why I can't buy a card I NEVER had!!" So, I bought a 1960 Topps Roger Maris. And that opened the floodgates, and I have since been acquiring many of the old cards I had, as well as ones I never did. I have a lot of them sitting on top of my piano, along with some family pictures and mementos. I love just going over there and looking at everything, putting a different card on top of the pile for a while, adding new cards, etc.

You know, when we talk about condition, I have a funny story. My cousin's son, was enthusiastic about cards, and he told me that a friend of his was really into it, and might like to buy some of the things I had. So, I went over with some doubles I had. I remember having a 1972 Nolan Ryan, but can't remember the other cards. At any rate, the kid gets over there (I was in my 30s at the time) and this kid, cold as ice, starts looking at the cards, and doesn't want one of them. I thought these were like mint cards, and he's pointing out so-called blemishes, and the centering - things that I never considered or noticed. These were good cards! It was a revelation to me that anyone would look at them like he was!

So, he left, and later on, my cousin's son went out, and I was just talking with my cousin and her husband for awhile. When I left, I just left all the cards for my cousin's son.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:43 PM
Phil

Quote:
Yeah, I can understand the concern about counterfeiting and doctoring. It's sad that things have gotten to that. You can always take your slabbed cards out of the slabs too!
I've seen where people break them out of their holders. These days it seems that many collectors trust graded over non-graded cards and that's why I thought about trading my slabs for their raw equivalent, it might be a win/win of sorts. I guess the only complications would be that I would want to see the card I'm trading for in person and I wouldn't want to swap with a dealer who would want to trade to their advantage.

I saw your posting about taking some of your doubles to trade to a young collector who coldly turned them away. When I was 12 back in 1973 I put an ad in a local paper looking to trade cards. An adult by the name of Tom Tankersley responded and he brought over some 1957s. He allowed me to get the better end of the deal, for him it was important to get younger people involved in the hobby. That day some of the cards I remember getting were the Amoros, Kluszweski, Erskine, Robin Roberts, and Burdette. The Burdette had a crease and the others were probably in VG/EX condition, but it didn't matter- I got some really cool older cards. When it becomes a commodity the fun and wonderment disappear.

Last edited by Tere1071; 08-13-2020 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:12 PM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDan View Post
Ignatius - I like your 56 collection. I am slowly working on a 56 HoF run myself. I have decided to pick up graded cards for this project.

Thanks! Enjoy putting together your 56 HOF run. I started my set in 2006 and “completed” it in 2017. Been doing small upgrades ever since and have really enjoyed it.

Old 08-17-2020, 04:54 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
I've seen where people break them out of their holders. These days it seems that many collectors trust graded over non-graded cards and that's why I thought about trading my slabs for their raw equivalent, it might be a win/win of sorts. I guess the only complications would be that I would want to see the card I'm trading for in person and I wouldn't want to swap with a dealer who would want to trade to their advantage.

I saw your posting about taking some of your doubles to trade to a young collector who coldly turned them away. When I was 12 back in 1973 I put an ad in a local paper looking to trade cards. An adult by the name of Tom Tankersley responded and he brought over some 1957s. He allowed me to get the better end of the deal, for him it was important to get younger people involved in the hobby. That day some of the cards I remember getting were the Amoros, Kluszweski, Erskine, Robin Roberts, and Burdette. The Burdette had a crease and the others were probably in VG/EX condition, but it didn't matter- I got some really cool older cards. When it becomes a commodity the fun and wonderment disappear.
That's a great story. And we remember their names. I have a similar story. I had put an ad in the local Pennysaver, and a Mr Siebert called, and one, weeknight, this would be the early 70's, on a school night after dinner, we drove over to Snowball Dr. and met with him. I would have been probably 14 or so.

Mr. Siebert had a very large collection of 1930's and 1940's cards, and he told us he had another buyer who was very interested in them, but he told me he would set some aside for me. I had a good knowledge of the history of the game and the older players, and I remember him saying, "I have an idea what you like."

So a week or so went by and he called again and told us to come over. And I remember him saying he made quite a bit of money on the cards he sold, but he set aside for me some 1939 and 1940 Play Ball cards of DiMaggio, Hubbell, Williams, Mel Ott, Lefty Gomez, George Selkirk and several more. There was also a 1934 Goudey Jimmy Foxx. He let me have them for, as I remember it, $20. I still have those cards, and I will never forget that man.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:01 PM
J0hn Collin$

So - given that we are in a "bubble" - has anyone here cashed in even on some mid- to lower grade cards? I will admit I'm stunned at what some offgrade stuff is going for - particularly with Jackie Robinson and Mickey Mantle cards. I haven't sold a ton this year, but when I did I more than made my money back. Other experiences? Keep on collecting what you love!

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-24-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:02 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
I still have those cards, and I will never forget that man.
Great story! I literally have dreams of coming across such finds.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:47 PM

Anyone have a mid grade (Ex or better) 1973 Topps #614 for sale or trade?
Old 11-25-2020, 04:59 AM

Quote:
My war crimes against cards:

In 1970 I collected the Odd Rods stickers along with my baseball cards. I stuck the Odd Rods on a box and when they began to come off I glued them to my baseball cards.

For 1971 I discovered the magic of push pins and I put several of my 71 Topps on the wall by pushing the pin through the dot on the front of the card.

Finally, in 1976, I wanted to display some of my Clemente cards in frames on the wall of my bedroom. Lacking plastic sheets I taped them to the backing of the frames. Needless to say, when I finally decided to remove the cards, it damaged the backs. I had to replace them all.

Just wondering, did any of my former cards end up in anyone's collections?
Along these lines recently I had a conversation with a childhood friend about our card collections. We both have our original cards from the 60’s/70’s. I told him that I had sent some of my cards in for grading and he got interested and asked a few questions about the process. I asked him about the condition of his cards and he indicated that they were in pretty good shape. After a few more minutes he said “at some point I decided I needed to be able to identify my cards in case they got stolen or mixed up with somebody else’s cards so I took a hole punch and punched holes in the top left corner of my cards”. I think my reply was “Ouch that’s not good”.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:10 AM

Default We All Been Dere

Quote:
Originally Posted by STM56 View Post
Along these lines recently I had a conversation with a childhood friend about our card collections. We both have our original cards from the 60’s/70’s. I told him that I had sent some of my cards in for grading and he got interested and asked a few questions about the process. I asked him about the condition of his cards and he indicated that they were in pretty good shape. After a few more minutes he said “at some point I decided I needed to be able to identify my cards in case they got stolen or mixed up with somebody else’s cards so I took a hole punch and punched holes in the top left corner of my cards”. I think my reply was “Ouch that’s not good”.

Old 11-25-2020, 11:09 AM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

I haven't sold any vintage lately. I did move a few modern cards this summer to fund vintage buys and I have no regrets on those. I certainly could make a few bucks from the vintage I bought just a couple years ago. But, I don't have any plans to sell.

It's really nice to see these mid grade gems get the attention they deserve. I expect the trend to continue as more people recognize the value offered. Thanks to all for sharing.

Old 11-25-2020, 11:31 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I've sold a bunch and plan to sell a bunch more. I am 'streamlining' my collection, clearing out the odds and ends I've accumulated over the last 30 years, because I can do it profitably now.

I did pick up a 55 Topps Mays. I've been procrastinating over one for a while and decided to get it done with some of the proceeds of the sales.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-25-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:29 PM
Mikeknapp

Adam the 1955 Mays is my favorite Mays card. It’s a thing of beauty. I have one in a SGC 6 slab I purchased long ago. I collect raw cards when I can inspect them in hand unless I win them from Cleansweep. Otherwise I buy PSA/SGC 6s on line. Cards in those slabs have become pricey, at least for me, lately. I settled for a nice centered 1954 Banks PSA 4 last year that was nicer and cheaper than many PSA 5 and 6s I’ve seen. That 4 now sells for a similar amount that a 5 or 6 would have cost me last year. I don’t think that rookie cards of Banks, Clemente, Gibson and their ilk will return to pre-pandemic prices so I maybe lowering my standards and start buyin nice 4s and 5s.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 11-25-2020, 12:55 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

I sold some of my vintage basketball (profits too good to pass on) during the big upswing in prices and redirected some of the profits to cards in the mid to lower grade with nice eye-appeal. Trying to refocus my collection on rookie cards.

I believe mid-grade is not a bad way to go in the future as high-grade prices of some cards are going to be too expensive for most. I believe the demand for mid-grade cards will be strong as more collectors jump on the band wagon.

Old 11-25-2020, 01:02 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I sold some of my vintage basketball (profits too good to pass on) during the big upswing in prices and redirected some of the profits to cards in the mid to lower grade with nice eye-appeal. Trying to refocus my collection on rookie cards.

I believe mid-grade is not a bad way to go in the future as high-grade prices of some cards are going to be too expensive for most. I believe the demand for mid-grade cards will be strong as more collectors jump on the band wagon.
Very nice cards, David!!

I would have no issue owning any of those!