NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 11-20-2020, 09:49 PM
Charles
Cha.rles

Default Is anyone familiar with 1997 Topps Screen Plays?

I purchased a 1997 Topps Screen Plays tin /card of Mike Piazza. (I collect Piazza.) When I initially opened the tin, everything (card and foam insert) appeared to be pristine. However, I quickly realized that the slightest touch would cause the foam insert to disintegrate (turn to powder). Trying to make the best of the situation, I figured that I would remove all of the insert material and keep the tin without it. But when I got to the bottom of the tin, I found that the foam was really stuck. I was able to eventually get it all out, but now I saw that there was a substantial amount of rust on the inside (mostly the bottom) of the tin.

Is all of this typical with this item?

I'm thinking that the person that I bought this from kept the item in a damp area (basement?), and the foam worked as a sponge to collect moisture. (But I could be wrong.)

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1997 Topps Screen Plays 2.jpg (76.8 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg 1997 Topps Screen Plays 1.jpg (74.3 KB, 212 views)

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore

Last edited by The-Cardfather; 11-20-2020 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:34 PM
Curt

I have several of these and last I checked, none did that. I am guessing you are correct and that it was stored or exposed to a wet environment.

The good news is I believe they are not hard to get, should you need a replacement.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:09 AM
T!M R10rd@n

For completeness, you will also need another Piazza Screen Play.

He is one of the six players that besides having a base card also has a Premium Insert.

pretty sure that the tin is the same, but the motion clip in the card is different.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:23 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Yesterday I ordered 4 if these Jeter,Bonds, Big Hurt Home and Away. So I think one of the Frank Thomas is the Premium version. I had a couple boxes in 97 you would get a set and one premium in each box. But I never opened any I just sold as boxes. These will be my first singles I will update when they arrive.
J
Old 11-24-2020, 07:49 AM
Tim Odeen

I had Andres "Big Cat" Galaraga. Not sure if I have it anymore. It might be lying somewhere in storage. Makes me nervous now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 11-26-2020, 12:23 PM
Curt

I was collecting Thomas when these were issued. The premiums were quite a bit more than the basic cards. I want to say something like $60 vs whatever the basic cards were worth then ($10 or $5? maybe). I doubt they are near that gap anymore. The only way I could tell was to check which version I had more of, that was the base. I don't recall them being marked any differently. You just had to know. I may be mistaken here, so perhaps someone who took a greater interest in the set might be aware of an easier way to tell them apart.

I'll have to dig up mine and check again.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:28 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I recived my 4 Screen plays today Jeter, Bonds, And Two Frank Thomas. The Thomas tins had different photos on the outside tin. One was a White Home Uniform and the Other a Grey Away Uniform. But same basic pose so you need to look close to tell. The cards on inside were different with one Frank making a catch over by Dugout and the second Him swinging. Large tins maybe 5 inch diameter? Make nice additions to player collections. I will post pics later. Looks like each box came with a complete base set and one premium tin.