NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-11-2003, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Default reflections on on-site grading (not real impressed w/it)

Posted By: warshawlaw 

I went to the Hollywood Park show over the weekend out here in LALA land. Very impressive vintage tables from Tik and Trevor. Stratospheric prices as usual on the really old stuff. And no WIWAG to be found there.

GAI was doing onsite pregrades, Beckett was grading and encapsulating on site and PSA was accepting submissions. Since I think Beckett has become a non-factor in the hobby, I didn't bother speaking with them. I'll run down my dealings with the other two:

GAI: For $3 they would review the card and grade it. They put a foil sticker over the holder opening so it can't be reopened. If you want to submit the card after the pregrade while you are at the show, they said they will stand by the grade. If you want to mail it in later, they will not guarantee the grade. Since I went there on Friday afternoon, there was virtually no wait. They pre-graded my card while I sat there. A lot of dealers were pre-grading cards then offering them for sale in the pre-graded state. Now for the problems. First, how can a grade be guaranteed if you turn in the card at the show but not later on? I checked it out thoroughly and found that GAI would indeed accept a transacted pregraded card for the grade given (i.e., if I bought a "4" off a table, I could turn it in and get the grade). This is nonsense--the card could be tweaked while on display at the show, just as it could while in the mail. Second, the grading process consisted of a guy looking at the card under a bright light for all of twenty seconds (if that) then pronouncing judgment. If this is the level of scrutiny they employ, no wonder mistakes are made. Hell, I spent a lot more time looking at the card in question when I was buying it. Third, I heard inconsistent things. On the one hand, I was told that the pregrade was the grade if I elected to encapsulate, but I also was told that another grader had to review the grade.

PSA: I tried out their new service, which is grading a card and certifying the autograph on it for $20 (I have a fair number of deceased players' autographs on vintage cards that I would like to have encapsulated for display and possibly sale). Two of the three cards I brought over were immediately granted DNA numbers by a fellow who presented his business card to me as "Steve Grad, Senior Authenticator" for James Spence Autographs, which as I understand it means that they are certified at that point. Again, these cards took all of ten seconds of scrutiny each (Ted Kluszewski and Walter Payton) before the autographs were granted the numbers. The third card, a boxer named Tony Canzoneri, they wanted someone else to review (it did not look to me like either of the guys knew what Canzoneri's autograph looked like--I do and I think the item is authentic BTW). However, they do so by sending a digital photo of the item to Spence HQ in PA. Am I the only one uncomfortable with scrutiny via scan over the internet? I guess their theory is that I can't bitch since the price ($20) is less than a third of the $75 Spence quotes for reviewing a Canzoneri autograph (checked the price list while I was sitting there).

Old 02-11-2003, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

PSA wants more of it, and they can get away with this because they are infallible. GAI apparently feel they have to keep pace. For some weird reason SGC is managing to maintain their dignity. Odd, but perhaps it will be their market differentiator - works for me.

Old 02-11-2003, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

I think Pre-grading is the way to go for cards under 50.00 and 1949 or newer. Then you can have that CHEAP grade that makes the novice feel good about buying it.
Plus, lets face it. If we don't have time at the LALA show to Encapsulate it, well what's the difference in taking it to Sportsfest or the Nationals to have it Slabbed. I'm sure most of you guys are on a first name basis with the graders. (husband-of-tammy)

Old 02-11-2003, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Personally, I think it's problamtic that for such a cheap price ($20) a company is both judging the authenticity of an autograh and grading the card.

However, I am familiar with Steve Grad and am confident about his abilities in judging the authenticity of autographs. I'm sure he's seen and obtained a thousand Walter Payton and Ted Kluz autos before he saw yours.

Old 02-11-2003, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

I take back my above post's 'problematic' statment. I don't have any knowledge of their procedures, so am not in a position to comment on the legitimacy of the #20 deal. I don't have any reasons or evidence to to suggest that they are doing anything other than a fine job.

Old 02-12-2003, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: botn

Warshawlaw,

I understand your concerns but it is my understanding that Global guarantees the grade if you look at the card after they place the pre-grade label over the protecto and hand it back to them for encapsulation. Once the card leaves their table the grade is not guaranteed, although it is likely that the grade would be the same if the pre grade card would be purchased off of a dealers table and brought to them to encapsulate.

The assumption is that the card was pre graded and went right into a dealer’s showcase. Certainly the risk of damage exists anytime the card leaves Global's table but in this circumstance the risk is limited as compared to carrying the card around, taking it home, etc.

I thought that Global was right on with their grading at the show. I ended up grading quite a few cards with them.

Greg