NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-14-2022, 07:52 AM
James M.

Default Trying to figure out where to go next collecting wise

I'm sure many of us have faced this problem in the past, or are currently facing this issue now. As I see the light at the end of the tunnel (for now at least) when it comes to my main collecting focus, I'm trying to decide what I am going to shift gears to. I was thinking maybe something pre-war, perhaps Eddie Collins as I always felt he was undervalued. Ralph Kiner and Yogi Berra are others that have caught my eye recently as well. I fear the ship has sailed on me getting into t206's with the metoric rise in some of there prices but I'm sure I could find alternative sets as well. How do you gentlemen, decide what to collect next, after a project has finished?

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:32 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I'm sure many of us have faced this problem in the past, or are currently facing this issue now. As I see the light at the end of the tunnel (for now at least) when it comes to my main collecting focus, I'm trying to decide what I am going to shift gears to. I was thinking maybe something pre-war, perhaps Eddie Collins as I always felt he was undervalued. Ralph Kiner and Yogi Berra are others that have caught my eye recently as well. I fear the ship has sailed on me getting into t206's with the metoric rise in some of there prices but I'm sure I could find alternative sets as well. How do you gentlemen, decide what to collect next, after a project has finished?
Depending if you are looking for specific players or sets.

For Sets I think the 1916 Sporting News Set(and all the different Blank Back and Ad Backs) have so many great players and HOF'ers and is an under appreciated set and IMO still an undervalued set and cards.

If you are looking for Players Eddie Collins is a great choice as you said. Also Tris Speaker, Roger Hornsby amongst a few of the Greats that still have upside potential on cards and if your a collector even better great cards to select from for them

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 05-14-2022, 08:48 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I think just pay attention to the auctions that are rolled out with an open mind and sooner or later something will speak to you that you think is really cool and possibly even being overlooked by others. Has worked for me in the past.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This is super cliché but collect what is going to give you the most enjoyment. Each time I have strayed from my main focus I have gotten a little bored with it.

I think Stan the Man is still a relatively less expensive alternative to many others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d305stan.jpg (91.7 KB, 461 views)
Old 05-14-2022, 09:23 AM
Frank Wakefield

Hey James...

I read through this, (easy, only three responses), and I was thinking of suggesting where I'd gone, W514s and more recently W572s.

I found myself agreeing with both what Jeff said, and Snap... Twenty years ago I had maybe half a dozen of the Sporting News cards, I'd shy away from buying more. Now I have about 3 dozen. But it didn't become a focus. Back then I avoided strip cards; they seemed course, crude. The difference in strip cards and normal cards, to me, seemed the difference between the Sunday comics and a hardbound book. Now I'm barely still in my 60's, and I love W514s and W572s.

I'm reminded of something a veterinarian friend of mind told me. He went to a multi day vet practice seminar. One presentation was about the business side of things. Succinctly put, a cattle farmer probably was financially stable that they could pay their vet bills. When a cattle farmer moved to sheep the advice was that they could pay a vet bill, but don't extend too much credit. However, if a cattle farmer started raising goats instead of cattle, sheep, or horses, be sure and get paid up front for any services.

With that in mind... peruse auction catalogs, eBay, the standard catalog, BST here, and see what series interests you anew. Read a bit about baseball, biographies, or The Glory Of Their Times, AND, Baseball When the Grass Was Real. If you read about a player you'd like to collect, find a copy of Dr. Beckett's Baseball Card Alphabetical Checklist. Buy a used one on ABAbooks, Alibris, or eBay, you won't need a new one because you're after old cards anyway, and I think it's out of print. Then you can decide if you wanna go after a few players, a certain team in a certain year or time period (1930s Cubs for example) or a certain series or set.

I saw my first big league game in 1963, saw Mr. Musial play. To this day I'm a Cardinals fan.

Maybe those strip cards are my goats, but I find that I really like them, used to hate 'em.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 05-14-2022 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:30 AM
Chuck Tapia

easy for me. Cash, gold, cars, stocks, dental implants & beer. In no Particular order.

My Baseball Card, autograph and memorabilia collection is Complete.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:06 AM
Peter Spaeth

What do you collect now? Sorry if I missed that.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:34 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

An entire era that has room to grow, meaning the "ship hasn't sailed" as you say might be late 1910's to early 1920's

The bigger Sets here are:

-M101-4/5 and their family of ad backed sets
-1917 E135 Collins McCarthy & 1917 H801-8 Boston Store
-E120 American Caramel and their Canadian Sister Set V61 Neilsons
-E121 American Caramel and their family of other ad backed sets
-V100 Willards

You can cross collect something like E121 with its ad backed relatives by just focusing on the fronts as they are the same. The E135 and H801-8 are also similar enough to each other and E121 throw in this mix. Go to VCP and look at the image scroll at the top of each of their set pages and see the similarity. W501 uses the same format as well. Alexander, Hornsby, Sisler, Heilmann, Ruth, Smokey Joe Wood...lots of star power to collect. These are much rarer than T206 and cheaper relative to player quality in my opinion. I'm a T206 guy and all these sets have become very appealing to me this year.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:41 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
An entire era that has room to grow, meaning the "ship hasn't sailed" as you say might be late 1910's to early 1920's

The bigger Sets here are:

-M101-4/5 and their family of ad backed sets
-1917 E135 Collins McCarthy & 1917 H801-8 Boston Store
-E120 American Caramel and their Canadian Sister Set V61 Neilsons
-E121 American Caramel and their family of other ad backed sets
-V100 Willards

You can cross collect something like E121 with its ad backed relatives by just focusing on the fronts as they are the same. The E135 and H801-8 are also similar enough to each other and E121 throw in this mix. Go to VCP and look at the image scroll at the top of each of their set pages and see the similarity. W501 uses the same format as well. Alexander, Hornsby, Sisler, Heilmann, Ruth, Smokey Joe Wood...lots of star power to collect. These are much rarer than T206 and cheaper relative to player quality in my opinion. I'm a T206 guy and all these sets have become very appealing to me this year.
Great List Greg spot on IMO

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 05-14-2022, 11:22 AM
James M.

First off, I appreciate everyone coming out and responding. I'll try to cover all of my bases here. As my username suggest, my main collecting focus is Mickey Mantle. I've always had a goal to put together a playing days run of his career. This is more or less accomplished at this point. While I'm holding off on a couple of cards due to bills at the moment, the only significant Mantles I do not own are the 51 Bowman and 52 Topps. I don't own the 53 Topps at the moment either, but that's something that I can realistically see myself having in the next two years.

I've thoroughly enjoyed this passion project, it went from bonding with my father, to taking on a life of its own. I've certainly collected other cards along the way, but Mantle has always been my focus. Through Net54 I was able to discover some of my favorite alternate issues as well, as I fell in love with the 52 Berk Ross and the 54 Red Heart, both of which sit in my collection now.

I think I'd want to shift to player rather than sets, but I'll really consider everything at the moment. Hornsby was another player I've thought about, Frank pointed out Musial as another great player to collect too.I would eventually love to own a Ruth or a Cobb, that becomes harder and harder as the years pass though, and I unfortunately cannot live in my cards (though I wish I could ) Thanks for all the input so far. I'm definitely trying to figure out who/what I'd enjoy collecting next!

Donscards.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:37 PM
dA.N CH@SE

With prices right now, I am just being patient and buying when opportunities arise. Graded vintage is ridiculous right now, with so many flippers and new people trying to buy right now. I was working on a Hank Aaron base run and a 1951 Topps Blue/Red Back set. However, it is getting tough to find the cards for a decent price. I also see an increase of people getting these cards graded and asking for a fortune for them, even with lower grades. I don't want graded Red/Blue Backs and will not pay a premium for them in a slab.

Recently I have started to get modern on-card autos of HOF's to go along with my HOF rookie cards. For non-desirable HOF players, I have gotten a lot of them for $15 and under. Players like Jim Rice, Walt Frazier, Bob McAdoo, etc... I think they pair well with my rookie cards and vintage. My rules for the auto is it needs to be on card, nice signature, in their uniform, and references the main team they played for.

I wanted to collect more T206 and 1933 Goudey cards, but the pricing seems a little high right now for them. I am patient though and will buy if the price is right.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:15 PM
octavio ranzola

Im looking for darby chocolates complete full box set. Hmmm ok its not going to happen
Old 05-14-2022, 07:02 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Hi James

I know you are a Yankees fan (as I am). I think Leon and Frank Wakefield's suggestions of collecting certain player's cards.....namely Stan Musial....is a really great idea.

Musial is one of my favorite (non Yankees), simply because I collect Pennsylvania-born ballplayers. Pennsylvania has produced many BB (and FB) players over the years.

Sixty-eight years ago this month, "Stan the Man" set a new record. It all started with a NYC sports reporter, who wrote that Musial lacked "Home Run hitting power". So,
Stan had the last laugh. The Cardinals were at the Polo Grounds for a Double-Header vs the Giants. Stan hit 3 HR's in the 1st game and 2 HR's in the 2nd game. He also
hit 2 singles and Walked twice that day.
.................................................. ...............1947 BOND BREAD Stan Musial rookie card

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 05-15-2022, 06:24 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hi James

I know you are a Yankees fan (as I am). I think Leon and Frank Wakefield's suggestions of collecting certain player's cards.....namely Stan Musial....is a really great idea.

Musial is one of my favorite (non Yankees), simply because I collect Pennsylvania-born ballplayers. Pennsylvania has produced many BB (and FB) players over the years.

Sixty-eight years ago this month, "Stan the Man" set a new record. It all started with a NYC sports reporter, who wrote that Musial lacked "Home Run hitting power". So,
Stan had the last laugh. The Cardinals were at the Polo Grounds for a Double-Header vs the Giants. Stan hit 3 HR's in the 1st game and 2 HR's in the 2nd game. He also
hit 2 singles and Walked twice that day.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Ted,

Always appreciate the the insight and story. I have always felt like Musial was a very underappreciated player. One of the best hitters the game has ever seen! I especially love his Red Heart card. The Bond Bread rookie, seems like a great card as well. The more I talk and think about it, the more it seems like he's one of the collecting directions, I'll end up going. Thank you again.

Also I sent you an email, not sure if it's still the same one as last time, but I wanted to let you know, in case it got lost in the shuffle. Hope all is well.

- James

Donscards.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:14 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Hi James

I did not receive your email.

Simply, email me directly...... tedzan11@comcast.net

TED Z
Old 05-15-2022, 10:18 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Whenever I’m stuck on a next project, I take a break for a couple months. Something always rises to the top!
Old 05-15-2022, 10:27 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I have to admit I have generally let opportunity guide where I go next. Sometimes it's worked out great...I got a partial DeLong set with a Gehrig that I was able to complete. Sometimes less so.
Old 05-15-2022, 01:31 PM
Er1k Greeñ.w00d

James,

The 1935 Goudey 4 in 1 set may be a good candidate to look at. It has one of the lesser expensive Ruth's. You can go for a master set or a regular set. It is still relatively affordable.

Erik
Old 05-15-2022, 04:11 PM
James M.

Thank you again to everyone contributing. Opportunity guiding me is another great way to decide where I move next. Many wonderful ideas presented so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hi James

I did not receive your email.

Simply, email me directly...... tedzan11@comcast.net

TED Z
Ted,

Email sent, thank you again.

- James

Donscards.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:38 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

When I started back in the hobby I built a list of 500 cards covering 100 years of baseball that I wanted in my collection, that gives me plenty of options to collect, my biggest challenge is funding the wish list.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-16-2022, 07:23 AM
Bill K@sel

I was itching for another challenge, so I found a deadball era player that shared the same birthday as me and started a focus on him. I had two choices, but went with Buck Herzog. It's been fun to collect and learn more about him.

Enjoy the journey!

Bill
Old 05-16-2022, 08:15 AM

Collect what you enjoy and enjoy what you collect.
beer chug.gif
Old 05-16-2022, 09:01 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGreenwood View Post
James,

The 1935 Goudey 4 in 1 set may be a good candidate to look at. It has one of the lesser expensive Ruth's. You can go for a master set or a regular set. It is still relatively affordable.

Erik
Agreed

Good Card to consider

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 05-16-2022, 09:31 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
First off, I appreciate everyone coming out and responding. I'll try to cover all of my bases here. As my username suggest, my main collecting focus is Mickey Mantle. I've always had a goal to put together a playing days run of his career. This is more or less accomplished at this point. While I'm holding off on a couple of cards due to bills at the moment, the only significant Mantles I do not own are the 51 Bowman and 52 Topps. I don't own the 53 Topps at the moment either, but that's something that I can realistically see myself having in the next two years.

I've thoroughly enjoyed this passion project, it went from bonding with my father, to taking on a life of its own. I've certainly collected other cards along the way, but Mantle has always been my focus. Through Net54 I was able to discover some of my favorite alternate issues as well, as I fell in love with the 52 Berk Ross and the 54 Red Heart, both of which sit in my collection now.

I think I'd want to shift to player rather than sets, but I'll really consider everything at the moment. Hornsby was another player I've thought about, Frank pointed out Musial as another great player to collect too.I would eventually love to own a Ruth or a Cobb, that becomes harder and harder as the years pass though, and I unfortunately cannot live in my cards (though I wish I could ) Thanks for all the input so far. I'm definitely trying to figure out who/what I'd enjoy collecting next!
The Berk Ross set seems to be on the move, as evidenced by recent auction results. the Jackie is on fire with a PSA 9 reaching nearly $65K in the last Heritage roundup.
the '51 Musial is the only mainstream card of Stan that year. No Bowman and no Red Back. Glad I have one.