NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Steve Birmingham

Default Cleaning B-18s?

I have a few B-18s I got recently that are a bit dusty/dirty from poor storage. Is there any good way to clean them? I'm not trying to get rid of stains or anything like that, just get rid of the attic grime.

Steve B
Old 09-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I have a few B-18s I got recently that are a bit dusty/dirty from poor storage. Is there any good way to clean them? I'm not trying to get rid of stains or anything like that, just get rid of the attic grime.

Steve B
I just want to bump this for you Steve but I don't know the answer. I am not ptimistic about cleaning one myself. I have never tried to clean a felt or silk. I just leave them alone . I guess some kind of dry cloth and barely tapping the dirty spot(s) to get anything you can off, might work, albeit not much. I would be very careful not to pat it too hard or spread the grime/dirt. A conservator could have a go at it but it might not be worth the expense. Those are just a few thoughts to entertain. regards

One other thing came to mind too. If the stuff you are trying to get off came from sitting in the attic, and isn't too embedded, you might try applying some lightly pressured air, very gently, to the spots. That might knock off some loose particles and help.

Last edited by Leon; 09-11-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:47 AM
John

I've seen plenty of them faded and/or with colors that have bled. I don't think they react well with water.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Steve Birmingham

Thanks guys!
Yes, two of the five are faded, and one has what looks like water damaged spots. I've seen others that looked bled or runny, so I also figured water was out. Plus I think they're wool, which would make water a bit more troublesome too.
I was more wondering if anyone had tried dry cleaning fluid or something of that nature.
I like Leons idea about the air. I'm thinking I might try a light vacuum on the faded ones to see if the dust comes out. I think I have a tiny computer vac around somewhere. The tobacco or maybe rust stains are there to stay. I wouldn't want to remove them anyway, as that's a bit too close to altering for me to be happy doing it.

None of them are nice enough to even consider a professional conservator.
Maisel green infield- faded
Shotton purple - faded
Tyler white maybe faded?
Konetchy purple
Jackson purple of center and with one slightly ragged/worn looking edge

I'll see if I can manage scans later today.

Steve B
Old 09-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

why not have them dry cleaned?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Steve Birmingham

I wanted to be sure that would work before trying it. Since water looks bad, I didn't want to end up with blank B18s, even the faded commons.

And some inks are doubly fugitive, dissolving in both water and oil based cleaners. British stamps used that for a time, and getting them off the envelope or remaining scrap of paper is difficult.

My wife does sewing, I think she's got a home dry cleaning kit. Plus I have access to loads of industrial cleaners, maybe even a can of 111 trichloroethane I set aside. But a lot of that stuff is really bad for cloth in the long run if not instantly. Unless it's metal, I'm very hesitant to go straight to the chemical cleaners without figuring out what they'll do to the item.

Steve B
Old 09-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Steve Birmingham

Here's a couple scans. The scanner is scanning a bit oddly. The Konetchy shows the dinginess pretty accurately, but is yellowed. I tried correcting the on the Jackson scan, but it made the colors too vivid.

sometimes I look at them and think they're fine as-is, other times I think they're too dusty not to clean.
Steve B

Old 09-12-2010, 07:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Personally

Personally, I would just leave them the way they are. Either of the methods I described shouldn't harm them if done gently so you could try that, but otherwise, they look fine to me.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:32 AM
T!M R10rd@n

I clean/dust fabric lampshades in our house by vigorously brushing the. with a paint brush. Don' see why that wouldn't help here, or that it could hurt any either.

Just hold it against something stiff like a book or board and brush away.

As for dry cleaning, if you should try that route then try only one first, perhaps the worst, and see how it goes. You could also ask the dry cleaner to test one spot first to see what happens.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:24 PM

If it is just surface dust or dirt you are worried about, why not just put the B18's into an empty pillowcase, tie the open end closed, put it in the dryer and run on air dry? Seems to me the tumbling action would knock some of the surface stuff off and with no heat, there shouldn't be any worries about damage.

David