NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-26-2019, 11:08 AM
Jason Seidl

Default Photo Authentication

Why on earth does PSA charge like 5x the money to grade a card than to identify a photo type (non encapsulated)?

They are seriously missing the opportunity to develop an entire new market IMHO,
Old 07-26-2019, 11:16 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

They're authenticating often unique or near-unique items (not the 7,000+ 1989 Griffey Jr they've examined), and often have to analyze and often research the stamping on back and identify the image.

I don't know anything about the pricing, but will testify that they do a good job at authentication/identification of photos. One is safe buying a PSA-ed photo.

Last edited by drcy; 07-26-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I don't know anything about the pricing, but will testify that they do a good job at authentication/identification of photos. One is safe buying a PSA-ed photo.
Wow ... that's a bold statement.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:24 AM
Dave

You think PSA doesn't charge you enough in id'ing for you a photo into a type system, that has enough holes in it to drive a large axle'd truck through?
Old 07-26-2019, 11:29 AM

Does anyone really need photo authentication? It seems like a service like that would only exist for people who have no idea what they've got. If you're in the hobby and collect photos it is usually no problem for you to tell restrike from original.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:41 PM
Jason Seidl

I don’t necessarily disagree with that but it is always nice to have third party authentication. But 50 bucks for a letter where most of the time they are probably spending like 10 minutes on it seems a bit much. I would understand the fee on encapsulated photos but just a letter ummmmm no. I’ve got two photos with authentication but I bought them that way. The rest of my collection has zip and at 50 bucks a pop it will stay that way.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:42 PM
Jason Seidl

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. Bergin View Post
you think psa doesn't charge you enough in id'ing for you a photo into a type system, that has enough holes in it to drive a large axle'd truck through?
😂😂😂😂😂😂
Old 07-26-2019, 06:21 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Does anyone really need photo authentication? It seems like a service like that would only exist for people who have no idea what they've got. If you're in the hobby and collect photos it is usually no problem for you to tell restrike from original.
I have thought and said the exact same, though am also aware that I'm a photo person and others are not.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:33 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
And true.

I'm no PSA fan and don't like the type system, but they do a good job.

Last edited by drcy; 07-26-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:42 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
And accurate

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 07-27-2019 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:43 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Old 07-27-2019, 12:43 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Yes

Old 07-27-2019, 10:59 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I agree that the new holders look cool and I have dozens of photos I’d probably like to get authenticated someday ...but every time I see the charge I keep walking.

I also figure (maybe wrongly) I would wait months on end to get them back. Hard to justify ... particularly since Henry lives in my hood.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:54 AM
Jason Seidl

I recently got the chance to sit down with Henry at PSA in NJ. What a great guy. Learned a bunch and got more confidence that I am looking for the right things with photos. Dropped off 12 photos to get authenticated. He said it would take about a month.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:02 AM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Quote:
+1
Old 10-16-2019, 10:14 AM

Most people can get most photos right by educating themselves. I will testify that I have seen millions of photos and I learn new stuff about the genre and photography all the time.

There are some very subtle nuances between some Type 1 and Type 3 examples for example. Some high end Type 3 images are VERY clear.

A big part of what PSA does is sift through fakes people buy on ebay. There are more fake Marilyn Monroe photos out there for example than you would think. People buy old stock photo paper from the 1960's-1970's and use high quality printers to make these and they are VERY convincing if you don't know what to look for.

If you have a properly stamped photo from a major new service then yes, you could do it all yourself and if you buy from reputable dealers. There are times though where you need to have a second set of eyes on an image, especially if it is a really high end piece.

Not speaking to the cost at all, just the necessity of experts in the field and Henry does a great job!

Last edited by prewarsports; 10-16-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:11 PM
C.hris Bl.and

My bad photo of this McGraw notwithstanding, I just like how they look in the holders. Given the prices, I certainly prefer to buy them already encapsulated however.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mcgraw.jpg (45.6 KB, 223 views)

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 10-16-2019, 12:25 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Does anyone really need card authentication? It seems like a service like that would only exist for people who have no idea what they've got. If you're in the hobby and collect cards it is usually no problem for you to tell reprint from original.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:53 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Does anyone really need card authentication? It seems like a service like that would only exist for people who have no idea what they've got. If you're in the hobby and collect cards it is usually no problem for you to tell reprint from original.
Very well played!
Old 10-16-2019, 05:36 PM
Jason Seidl

+1
Old 10-16-2019, 06:16 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

As interest in the photo niche deepens and expands, and values continue to grow, the incentive for fakes and fraud increases dramatically... like it always does when anything collected starts attracting more serious investment.

I believe that there are many reasons to have an experienced third party expert examine and evaluate your photographs. However, many photo collectors seem to not yet see the value in this. Perhaps that will change as the market matures.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:37 AM
Steve Birmingham

If those third parties can't or won't get it right for cards, what makes you believe they will get it right for photos?
Old 10-17-2019, 01:26 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
If those third parties can't or won't get it right for cards, what makes you believe they will get it right for photos?
They do a good job at authentication. It's the grading (which includes alterations identification) where they're unreliable.

Last edited by drcy; 10-17-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:33 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
The best solution may or may not come from one of "those" third parties. The photography market is pretty vast, and other alternatives for photo collectors might become available.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:51 PM
Steve Birmingham

I guess what bugs me about the whole thing is the idea that a third party is needed for even rather ordinary items. Items that aren't hard to authenticate.

Photos are pretty easy and only the semi-crazy type system really causes a need for any help. It's not like figuring out if a painting is Picasso or just some kid with no supervision.

I get why someone who makes enough to spend huge money on a photo won't take the time to learn the little bit it takes to tell if it's old or not. But I think they do themselves a disservice if they don't learn that stuff. And yes, that applies to pretty much ALL collectibles, I'll take my chances with inexpensive items but if I was going to spend upwards of $10,000 I'd be really sure I knew enough about whatever it is.

And I also wonder how well any TPA will do when they end up getting pushed for time.
The worst aspect to the whole TPA business when it comes to cards is how little time they spend on an item and how as "experts" they've backed off on providing an opinion on items they find difficult. If they can't manage to get the difficult stuff, or even mildly difficult stuff like 62 green tints, to the point where they won't do that anymore... why would I use them for the really easy stuff.