NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-24-2020, 01:06 AM
�tis J�hns�n

Default The One That Got Away

I know this is a frequent post, but I always enjoy seeing what fellow collectors have to say.
:
I have several candidates, but two always come to mind: in 1972 I was offered an autographed 1952 Topps Mantle for $75 and twenty-five years later I turned down a completely set of 1949 Leaf baseball for $3000 because some had pinholes.

I passed on them. What did you let get away?
Old 10-24-2020, 02:54 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I have a very long list, especially since eBay and so many other auction houses are online now. Before internet days, everything was very slow paced and easier to remember certain things. I started using eBay in 1998 and even a year before that, I was starting AOL chat rooms and selling coins, stamps, comic books, and baseball cards. The only item I remember getting away from me was back in 1986 when I was 13 years old. I live in Connecticut and a couple weeks during the summers, the family would drive to our summer cottage vacation home in Vermont. I'd try to save money during the year to bring with me. There were a couple small stores that had collectibles and we were right on Lake Champlain so some money went to fishing supplies also. I remember that summer so clear. I had $80 saved for 2 weeks of time. During the road trip up to Vermont, you could see a monster sized tag sale from the highway. I begged to stop, so we did. there were so many different sellers, it was impossible to try and see everything. Plus I was only 13 years old, had limited money, and this was before the internet, so everything was learned by picking up a book and reading it or listening to conversations at dealer tables. While I was at the monster tag sale, (which my parents didn't want to be at), I was able to locate a guy selling comic books. So my parents were like, find something, and lets go. We still had a couple more hours of driving to go. So I started searching a random box of comics. At the time, I was more of a coins, stamps, and baseball cards collector. But I had friends I'd always trade with, and a few of them really liked comic books. Half way through the box, I felt my heart stop beating. It was a Detective Comics #27 (First Appearance of Batman). It was in a comic bag but not even a backboard. Nearly all his comics were that way. It also wasn't some oddball comic that didn't fit. The whole box was very early 1930's and 1940's. Very early issues of Superman, Batman, Action Comics, and many Detective Comics. I even saw the Action Comics #1 (First Appearance of Superman) but it was priced at $200 and I only had $80 and my parents were really pushing to go. I pulled out the Detective Comics #27 and I didn't see a price on it, so I asked the guy. He acted like I was wasting his time because I was young and probably had no money. He said $50. I was thinking, I had $80 to last me two weeks and we haven't even gotten there yet and I'm thinking about spending more than half of my money during the first 2 hours of vacation. So I put it back, made my parents happy by saying, lets go. That whole rest of the ride, I regretted not buying it. I asked my parents if the tag sale was still set up on our way home, if we could stop again, they said yes. I only ended up spending $20 during the whole 2 weeks while in Vermont. On the way home, no sign of the tag sale. It's haunted me ever since.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Last edited by Ronnie73; 10-24-2020 at 02:56 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:29 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

I frequented a card store as a young man and remember contemplating the purchase of a 1915 CJ Jackson that the owner had. I forget the price but it must have been in the few hundreds at the time. I didn't buy it because I thought it wasn't a very good looking card and I was also on a very limited budget. No regrets though I still have cards from that shop that didn't get away like a near mint 52 Jackie that I picked up for $200 which is imo one of the most beautiful cards ever produced.

I've learned over the years to take a Buddhist approach to life and that includes collecting cards. If a card is meant to be part of my collection then the opportunity will present itself when the time is right and I've done the work to be prepared to buy it. Acquiring a 54 Wilson Franks Williams comes to mind, after months of looking at beat up examples I thought that was all that was available and I just couldn't bring myself to buy one, so I wait and contemplate that particular card may not be meant for my collection. But one morning the opportunity presented itself and I knew that was the card, it took under 30 seconds to make the decision to buy it. I've learned to also trust my instinct and any time I've gone against that I've regretted the purchase.

That's one advantage to having a fairly long and diverse checklist. It may be months before before a Cracker Jack that fits my parameters presents itself but in the meantime a Goudey on my list may present itself. As a matter of fact it's been a good Goudey month for me after months of not buying a single Goudey.

Another example: I'm currently looking to add a 66T Willie Mays to my collection. My condition preference for any 60's Topps card is NM 7 and there's not a lot out there so I wait, watch, build up my nest egg, and be prepared for when the "Say Hey Kid" is ready to come home.

Last edited by Casey2296; 10-24-2020 at 04:40 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:47 AM
Trey
Tr.ey Bu0y

Thanks for sharing that great story Ron, although painful to hear. It's not that there aren't great finds that can happen nowadays, it's just so uncommon with the ability to research items on the internet. You're more likely to find a $50 comic today that someone wants 1 million for.

You used to be able to find some decent stuff at yard sales and the like on a regular basis, the last few I've been to were just peoples junk that they didn't want to donate or pay to get rid of. Anything of value they probably already sold online. There still has to be a few of those legendary finds waiting to happen.

With the internet, now we have the ability to see a much higher frequency of rare items. That's the case for me at least. I think I generate lost opportunities about every week, in some cases every single day. Since they tend to be smaller "deals" I tend to move on easily though. One pops up in my head once in awhile that I wish I had bid higher on or pulled the trigger.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:23 AM
Sam Lemoine

In 1987 I was in a Milwaukee card store and he had gobs of 1986-87 Fleer Basketball. He offered me an entire box for $5. Nope, not interested. I bought two team sets of minor league baseball cards because I was certain that Sam Horn and Jose Cano were going to be the next Reggie Jackson and Nolan Ryan.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:23 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
In 1987 I was in a Milwaukee card store and he had gobs of 1986-87 Fleer Basketball. He offered me an entire box for $5. Nope, not interested.
I feel your pain. Back in 1986, I was the accountant for a candy & tobacco wholesaler in Maine. Our main customers were small mom & pop stores throughout the state. We purchased 5 cases of 1986 Fleer Basketball. Our salesmen sold less than 10 boxes and asked to send the rest back. Baseball cards did fairly well in the area, but basketball and football sales struggled. I could have purchased the remaining 4 plus cases at cost (around $5/box). With a family of three young boys, I passed and they went back to Fleer.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:41 AM

The worst was not buying a Rosen find Mantle for 3k because I had a nice one that would later grade 6. Second would not buying a Plank and Magie for 10k that were in the 5-6 range. Both in the mid-eighties. Another bad one was not buying a LeBron Exquisite RPA. I was bidding on them when they were under 2k and kept getting out bid. Now a 200 k+ card.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:31 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Twenty years ago, in 2000, I had just graduated college and started my adult life. I was trying to juggle multiple financial balls at that time, which were paying off student loan debt, saving for a house, saving for a newer car, saving for retirement, saving for an emergency fund, etc. I wasn’t making a lot, because I was at my first real world job after just graduating, and didn’t have much disposable income.

A month or so after Christmas, I attended a large regional show to hopefully add a 1960s Mantle to my moderate collection. Although I still had $400.00 in my wallet that I had received from family members for Christmas, I didn’t want to spend more than $150.00.

A dealer had a few Mantles that caught my eye. He also had the green and red portrait T206 Cobbs. They were both in about the same condition and were nice. He wanted $275.00 for the red one and $400.00 for the green one. I really wanted the green one, but it would take all the money I had one me, which was $250.00 more than what I had budgeted to spend. I had that cartoon moment, when a little devil appeared on one shoulder, and the angel on the other.

Unfortunately, the angel won out and I didn’t purchase the green Cobb. I did, however, talk myself into purchasing the red Cobb and left the show. Although I loved the card, I felt buyers remorse later that evening. I had spent $125.00 more than the $150.00 I had planned on spending at my savings’ accounts expense.

18 years later, I had the red Cobb graded. It came back a solid 3. I know that green one was just as nice and was also at least a 3 - only if that devil would’ve won out that day and I had spent a mere $125.00 more. I guess the red Cobb is a nice consolation prize.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:08 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

T206 Wagner.

Back in 1975 when I was a kid my parents became friendly with an antique dealer couple in NYC. They used to go on swings through the south buying stuff for their store in NYC. When they found out I was a card nut they mentioned a dealer in the Carolinas who had a bag of tobacco cards that they said they would get for me next time out in a few weeks. When they got back they said the dealer had sold the bag shortly before they arrived. The hobby grapevine shortly thereafter reported a find of a T206 Wagner from an antique dealer in the Carolinas...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-24-2020, 10:27 AM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Default Story 1 - My Ty Cobb

There are a few stories that stand out in my mind. Reading what you guys have stated, it seems we have all similar stories. I was born in 1973, got really into collecting cards in 1980 as I have a smattering of 1978 Burger King, a few 1979 Topps and then a lot of 1980 Topps. I peaked in 1981 as I have tons and tons of Topps, Fleer and Donruss.

Dad started taking me to card shows around the same time. He collected Brooklyn Dodgers and StL Browns. One show, I think in Massapequa, Allie Reynolds and Mel Stottlemyer were signing autorgraphs. Dad was telling me a story about Cookie Lavagetto breaking up Bill Bevens World Series no hitter while we were online. The next day, the Sunday Newsday ran a long piece based on our conversation. Not sure if dad still has that, but the writer must have been behind us and thought it was a nostalgic type puff piece. He never let me look at the T206 sets, or simply ignored them, focusing mostly on the Dodgers, Browns and 62 Mets cards. One day, while he was talking to a dealer, I bought an old, beat up Irv Young! My first T206!

So, where was I? My 6 and 4 year old are downstairs, so I really have to make this quick as they are driving my wife crazy on this Saturday afternoon. Fast forward to mid 1980s. Now my uncle covered the Pirates for the Pittsburgh Post Gazette from 1966-86 (previously, he covered both baseball and football Giants for the Journal American and Long Island Press). We were a "baseball family" and took the journey up to Cooperstown from Long Island a few times in the mid 80s. Again, we stopped at yard sales and tag sales and I bought old cards along the way. So, we were up in Cooperstown in the mid 80s and Larry Fritsch had just opened up his Baseball Card Museum there. I had $100 from a paper route I worked and I was thinking I was going to buy some cool retro hats or other memorabilia. I wasn't expecting a "Baseball Card" museum.

Now for some reason, there wasn't a lot of action in the Larry Fritsch's place that day. It must have been brand new; the place was freshly painted. I don't recall how the following set of events happened, but we met Larry Fritsch and he invited us behind the scene. There were tons and tons of old baseball cards. He must have thought dad was a high roller. There we were, in a big back room, looking at all these 70-80 year old cards. And then he shows us "The Doyle". Now, this is a 35 year old memory, but I believe the story he was telling us was that he "discovered" the error. He had one on display up there, but he had a few in the back room that he , get this, let my father and I handle. At the time, I knew about "Donruss errors" and was collecting Buck Martinez with the reversed "Brewers" or Paul Spittorff from 1981! But the Joe Doyle and its significance was definitely lost on me. If it was lost on me, it was definitely lost on dad. I think he offered one to dad for a couple of thousand. Dad passed. (I recently brought this story up to dad and he has no recollection.). This is not the "missed out" part of the story, however.

So, we come out from behind the museum and store and Larry has: 5 T206s for sale: Evers, Chance, Matthewson, 2 Cobbs (red). I only had the $100 or so on me, and then dad, ever the business man, goes into action: Evers was $50, Chance was $60, Matthewson $70 and Cobb (A) was $225 and Cobb (B) was $250. So, dad negotiates $400 for 4. (Not much of a deal, thinking back now, but I think dad was happy). But which Cobb? Dad differed to me. Do I take the Cobb with the paper loss on the back for $225 or do I go for the intact Cobb for $250? I remember feeling guilty the dad was spending so much money. I went with the lesser Cobb. And as you have written above, it is a decision that has bothered me to this day. I have talked to dad about it afterwards and he always said, "You can trade up for a better Cobb". I don't think I'll part with him, but I think about that deal a lot.

A few things: can you guys either debunk or verify the Larry Fritsch story he told us about "discovering the Joe Doyle"? We spend about an hour with the man and he had a personality.

I have another story from a few years later. It might be a worse story. It involves W551 cards. Cringe worthy story about innocence and honesty triumphing over the devil on your shoulder...
Old 10-24-2020, 10:40 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Passed on 2 signed topps 52 sam jones and tom morgan. Neither has ever surfaced, and neither have been graded by psa

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-24-2020, 10:51 AM
Ben North

This is a very recent story and I ended up with the card. I bought a Eddie Mathews Rookie from a fellow member. It had some paper loss on the front and had a small section of the border recolored. The paper loss was very thin and wasn't ugly. The card had amazing eye appeal. I traded it with a fellow member for a nice T206 Red Cobb. I recently sold the Cobb for a nice profit over what I paid for the Mathews. So money wise it was a great deal. In my reality I would rather still have that Mathews card. So I let a card I should have kept get away. Both cards have excellent new homes though.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:03 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
There are a few stories that stand out in my mind. Reading what you guys have stated, it seems we have all similar stories. I was born in 1973, got really into collecting cards in 1980 as I have a smattering of 1978 Burger King, a few 1979 Topps and then a lot of 1980 Topps. I peaked in 1981 as I have tons and tons of Topps, Fleer and Donruss.

Dad started taking me to card shows around the same time. He collected Brooklyn Dodgers and StL Browns. One show, I think in Massapequa, Allie Reynolds and Mel Stottlemyer were signing autorgraphs. Dad was telling me a story about Cookie Lavagetto breaking up Bill Bevens World Series no hitter while we were online. The next day, the Sunday Newsday ran a long piece based on our conversation. Not sure if dad still has that, but the writer must have been behind us and thought it was a nostalgic type puff piece. He never let me look at the T206 sets, or simply ignored them, focusing mostly on the Dodgers, Browns and 62 Mets cards. One day, while he was talking to a dealer, I bought an old, beat up Irv Young! My first T206!

So, where was I? My 6 and 4 year old are downstairs, so I really have to make this quick as they are driving my wife crazy on this Saturday afternoon. Fast forward to mid 1980s. Now my uncle covered the Pirates for the Pittsburgh Post Gazette from 1966-86 (previously, he covered both baseball and football Giants for the Journal American and Long Island Press). We were a "baseball family" and took the journey up to Cooperstown from Long Island a few times in the mid 80s. Again, we stopped at yard sales and tag sales and I bought old cards along the way. So, we were up in Cooperstown in the mid 80s and Larry Fritsch had just opened up his Baseball Card Museum there. I had $100 from a paper route I worked and I was thinking I was going to buy some cool retro hats or other memorabilia. I wasn't expecting a "Baseball Card" museum.

Now for some reason, there wasn't a lot of action in the Larry Fritsch's place that day. It must have been brand new; the place was freshly painted. I don't recall how the following set of events happened, but we met Larry Fritsch and he invited us behind the scene. There were tons and tons of old baseball cards. He must have thought dad was a high roller. There we were, in a big back room, looking at all these 70-80 year old cards. And then he shows us "The Doyle". Now, this is a 35 year old memory, but I believe the story he was telling us was that he "discovered" the error. He had one on display up there, but he had a few in the back room that he , get this, let my father and I handle. At the time, I knew about "Donruss errors" and was collecting Buck Martinez with the reversed "Brewers" or Paul Spittorff from 1981! But the Joe Doyle and its significance was definitely lost on me. If it was lost on me, it was definitely lost on dad. I think he offered one to dad for a couple of thousand. Dad passed. (I recently brought this story up to dad and he has no recollection.). This is not the "missed out" part of the story, however.

So, we come out from behind the museum and store and Larry has: 5 T206s for sale: Evers, Chance, Matthewson, 2 Cobbs (red). I only had the $100 or so on me, and then dad, ever the business man, goes into action: Evers was $50, Chance was $60, Matthewson $70 and Cobb (A) was $225 and Cobb (B) was $250. So, dad negotiates $400 for 4. (Not much of a deal, thinking back now, but I think dad was happy). But which Cobb? Dad differed to me. Do I take the Cobb with the paper loss on the back for $225 or do I go for the intact Cobb for $250? I remember feeling guilty the dad was spending so much money. I went with the lesser Cobb. And as you have written above, it is a decision that has bothered me to this day. I have talked to dad about it afterwards and he always said, "You can trade up for a better Cobb". I don't think I'll part with him, but I think about that deal a lot.

A few things: can you guys either debunk or verify the Larry Fritsch story he told us about "discovering the Joe Doyle"? We spend about an hour with the man and he had a personality.

I have another story from a few years later. It might be a worse story. It involves W551 cards. Cringe worthy story about innocence and honesty triumphing over the devil on your shoulder...
Larry Fritch was indeed the Godfather of the Joe Doyle variation. As the story goes, he discovered the Doyle "Nat'l" variation while going through a bunch of recently acquired T206's, knew he had something special and quietly began began to advertise in the hobby press offering to buy any and all Joe Doyle cards without mentioning what he highly suspected was a new variation. After buying multiple copies of the regular Doyle, another "National" was finally received and the legend was born.

My own personal story is a Joe Jackson Texas Tommy, which is too painful to relate.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:01 PM

I had a chance to buy Orlando’s (former member’s) entire Cobb postcard collection. But I didn’t really understand or collect postcards at the time, so I bought a rose company, a sepia, and the wagner-cobb sepia. Meanwhile, I have been chasing Cobb postcards ever since.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:15 PM

I've been going to the White Plains shows since they were the Gloria Rothstein shows. A guy there had a table with a set of 52 Topps in binders on it. There was one binder that was the expensive binder and another that was $20 a card.

He stepped away and had his friend watch his table for him. I asked to see the $20 binder of cards. His friend handed me the expensive one by mistake. I picked out an Eddie Mathews and Bill Dickey and was just about to hand him my $40 when some nosy jerk next to me said "You're selling that Mathews for $20?"

The guy pulled out his guide and swifty took the cards back from me. I'm sure his friend was happy.

Oh, and before I get accused of fleecing, I was 9 or 10 at the time and only realized how much the cards were worth after the fact.

Last edited by packs; 10-24-2020 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:30 PM
James M.

Nothing too egregious from what I remember. Granted I did go to card shows as a kid, and most likely walked right past the tobacco cards, because 10 year old me was certainly not interested in blowing his birthday and christmas money on some old dead guys like Cobb.

Recently, A few months back Dan Hicks on here, had a very nice 3.5 51 Mantle for sale. At the time I couldn't swing it. Didn't have the cash. If only I had then, what I had now, I would've been able to afford it. Live and learn I suppose. Another one, just as nice, will hopefully come up.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:44 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

When I was a kid, I knew about tobacco cards and t206 specifically, but thought they had to cost a fortune. So at shows, I wouldn't even think to look for them, even to just see them in person. I convinced myself they must be so rare that nobody at the show would have one and even if they did it would be in a think-ass screw down holder with a huge price tag on it. Years later, of course, I learned that not only were these famous t206 cards at those shows, but they were fairly cheap and, even with my modest sum of cash, I could have bought some of them. I have regretted missing all those opportunities to buy them back then ever since. If I knew I could buy them, and HOFers no less, I would've saved all my money for each show and bought as many as I could. Instead, I ended up with a bunch for 80's era junk wax crap that I still have.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 10-24-2020, 03:55 PM
Mark

Okay, not baseball related but....my Dad worked for Hilton and we actually lived in Hilton Hotels growing up.
During my youth I met tons of celebrities who were staying at the hotel, except one. I remember my Dad asking if I wanted to meet Elvis Presley, but I was too busy playing with my baseball cards and said No

Still cringe at passing on that one.

Last edited by darkhorse9; 10-24-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:22 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Another regret: I remember being at a show here in LA where someone had a stack of Cobb-signed checks for $50 each. I figured there was plenty of time to get one since he had a stack. Wrong!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-24-2020, 06:03 PM
D@le Irv*n

I passed on a PSA 4 1956 Mantle for about a 1/4 of what they go for today but my biggest regret to this day is not acting sooner with my Uncle's 52 Topps cards, that included an Eddie Mathews.

At the time, I told him if he was ever going to sell them, to let me know, but not knowing back then what I know now, I should have hounded him for sure as he ended up selling them to a pawn shop sometime between then and 5 yrs ago.
I'm not sure why he did that, other than him thinking he likely could get more at a pawn shop than he would from me, but to this day, whenever I see a 52 Topps Mathews, I immediately think back to what could have been.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:09 PM
Fred

I wouldn't even know where to start...

How about over (300) T206 with HOFers (Matty, Johnson, others) for about $1200. Mind you this was 4 decades ago...

There's more... makes me laugh at myself now... If, If, If, If... All good, no complaints - I've enjoyed this hobby so how can I look back and wonder "what if"... crap, time to find a fifth of something...
Old 10-24-2020, 06:20 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Another regret: I remember being at a show here in LA where someone had a stack of Cobb-signed checks for $50 each. I figured there was plenty of time to get one since he had a stack. Wrong!
That's funny - must have been the same guy I had the same opportunity to buy those checks from, but it was $35 a check. Yes, a pile of them.

I think it was about mid/late 80s. It was a baseball card shop near Beverly Hills.

Here's a neat story - Sports Card Plus (Dave Kohler) used to have a shop in Westminister (just to the east of Huntington Beach) back in the 80s, before he hit the big time in sport memorabilia. I remember Dave as a really nice guy. I'd cherry pick the NrMt cards he had. I picked up a MINT, yes MINT (ok, worst case NRMT-MT) Fleer William set (with Ted signs) for $200. Back then that was double book, but it was SO CLEAN - I haven't seen a cleaner set before or after that.

So many fun hobby stories to tell...
Old 10-24-2020, 09:53 PM
Steve Birmingham

Moved to a new town and started hanging out at the local card shop in 1977. Till maybe 83/84 ish.

So many things got away simply because stuff was cheap then.
33 Goudey Ruths for 100.
One year they bought a 52 Mantle for a then record price, I think 900?
T206 Hof ers for $10 each in VG.

Orr Rookie- the US test version - 100? For a hockey card?!?
Boxful- probably 400+ of the tiny feltback football cards.
54 Aaron at the first show I went to for 60...

So much other stuff.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Larry Fritch was indeed the Godfather of the Joe Doyle variation. As the story goes, he discovered the Doyle "Nat'l" variation while going through a bunch of recently acquired T206's, knew he had something special and quietly began began to advertise in the hobby press offering to buy any and all Joe Doyle cards without mentioning what he highly suspected was a new variation. After buying multiple copies of the regular Doyle, another "National" was finally received and the legend was born.

My own personal story is a Joe Jackson Texas Tommy, which is too painful to relate.
How many "Joe Doyle - National" exist? Larry Fritsch actually allowed my father and I to handle one. I am new here, it is a 35 year old memory now, but does that sound like something Larry Fritsch would do? Or am I completely misremembering the event and "doyle"? Perhaps it was "Plank" or "Magie" he let us hold?

Last edited by Kevin; 10-25-2020 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Last two lines...
Old 10-25-2020, 04:08 PM
Bruce Mattioli

The 1986/87 Fleer Basketball will always haunt me.. I could have had all I wanted for $5.00 a box back then as nobody wanted them..
Old 10-25-2020, 04:33 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
How many "Joe Doyle - National" exist? Larry Fritsch actually allowed my father and I to handle one. I am new here, it is a 35 year old memory now, but does that sound like something Larry Fritsch would do? Or am I completely misremembering the event and "doyle"? Perhaps it was "Plank" or "Magie" he let us hold?
I think that there are less than 10 known examples. It is quite possible that Larry allowed you to handle one of his. Where did you meet up with him at?

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 10-25-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
There are 9 known. Fritsch owned at least two.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:05 PM

Default W551's in a big card board box...

We were in the old house on Southview Avenue in Wantagh, so this was somewhere between 1985-89. I was in my early teens. Dad brought home a box full of old cards. This box was probably the size of a box you get from a liquor store when you are moving. Definitely bigger that a shoe box. I was familiar with T206s, the T205s, the Goudys. But these were sort of ugly. They were strewn and tossed into the box with very little care. Basically hundreds of cards dumped into a box. Dad's task for me: pick one for his friend to choose.

Dad was born in 1940. His father was a criminal reporter for one of the many newspapers in NYC at the time. He had no byline. My family suspects that he was friendly with the criminals he was reporting on. His brother, Harry, was the ghost writer on Murder Incorporated and only got the "dedication page". Apparently, Harry coined the phrase "Murder Incorporated, When he left the publishers office the day he heard he wasn't going to get authorship of the book, he apparently died of a heart attack on the streets of Manhattan. Dad's brother was 15 years older than him. He was a recipient of the Taylor Spink Award in the late 90s. Covered the baseball and football Giants in NYC from 1951 until they moved, then covered the Yankees a bit. Apparently he was offered Jack Lang's job when the Mets came to town, but turned it down. He moved to Pittsburgh and covered the Pirates from 66-86.

So dad. Dad was/is a frustrated author. He didn't put in the work and didn't really get along with his brother so, I guess, he went down another path. The path of a salesman. He worked at Honeywell in the 60s, opened up an insurance agency in Glendale, went bankrupt, worked for Wallace and then, in 1977 another pharmaceutical company based in Germany.

My sister (50 years old) and I (47) went to every Mets or Islanders game possible. Dad was a Jets season ticket holder, an Islander season ticket holder. We also went to 20 or so Met games a year. Now quarantine hit and everyone is posting pictures of ticket stubs they saved. I was getting some serious FOMO so, in May, I went to my folks house and went into my old bedroom and searched for ticket stubs. We had moved from my childhood home in 1990 and I moved out in 1995. Mom is a neat freak. What were the chances that the stubs would still be there? Well, they were! I started posting my stubs. Man, Mike Bossy scored a ton of goals. I picked like 5 random games from the ticket stubs I found and he scored like 14 goals total in those games. Anyway, it dawned on me that as a pharmaceutical salesman, dad probably wrote all those games off on an expense account! BRILLIANT

But I digress...so dad's backstory of being a sports nut, being a pharmaceutical salesman, having access sort of leads to the W551s. Dad called on a wholesale pharmacist named Sid. Sid was a lot of things. Quite a smarmy fellow. But it definitely was "you scratch my back, I scratch yours". Sid was pretty hard to take, but it was business and a commission check that counted, I gather. He was a sports fan and dad had access to tickets. (Actually there is a funny story about Game 4 of the NLCS that I could tell, but I've gotten sidetracked at least 6 times here).

So Sid did someone a favor. And in return, the client gave Sid a big box of old cards and told him to pick one card to keep. Sid had no idea what the cards were. He knew my dad and I were going to shows and collecting, but we were really collecting things that interested my dad: 1950s Bowman Browns, mid 50s Brooklyn Dodgers, 1962 Mets and assorted stars. (And no Yankees.). I probably already had Irv Young, Cobb, Matthewson, Evers, Chance. I knew that set well. But these funny cards, I had really no clue. Dad surmised that they must have been cut from the back of a cereal box. I sorted through them. I put them in order. There were Cobbs, Johnsons, Ruths and Joe Jackson. There were other guys I recognized too. Now I knew the legend of Joe Jackson. There were two in there. I picked one of the Jackson's for Sid. I told my dad that I never saw a Joe Jackson card and that would be the one I'd pick.

[Side note: I was going to Maria Regina Roman Catholic School at the time and truly believed in a higher power watching our actions. I also had this fear of my father. So in the back of my mind, I was thinking my dad was "testing" me with these cards. How would he wind up with hundreds of old cards? I honestly thought he was going to come up and say that these were for me. That someone gave them to him.]

So I gave the box back to dad. I was hoping against hope that he'd tell me to keep a few. He took note of the Jackson. And that was it.

A week later, I was in the basement. Actually, I was always in the basement, so this is odd. Remember I said there were doubles? I found a Ruth and Jackson card from the batch. Now I swear, I thought my father was testing me. I also had this Judeo-Christian guilt drilled into me by this time. Like an honest and wholesome person, I turned them over to my father. Again, I thought he'd say, "Keep them". But he didn't. He took them and said, "Ok" and took them from me.

I wish I could say I "did the right thing". Knowing now what I know about my father: he had absolutely no clue about those cards being there. Judging by the state the cards were in when I received them, my dad being oblivious, Sid being somewhat contemptible, I should have taken a handful of those cards and preserved them for future generations.

How did Sid get these cards? What is that back story? He did a family a favor regarding medication/perscriptions? The person that had this box of cards kept them for 60+ years. If it was the original owner, they were in their 70s at the time?

Yes, this is a big regret. I wonder if those cards ever got any love. I wonder what happened to the cards I "chose" for Sid. I should google him and find out if he's still alive.

EDIT: Alive and well in Ohio. I should reach out.

Last edited by Kevin; 10-28-2020 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Tough to read, 4 year old son looking to play, limited time to write something cohesive
Old 10-25-2020, 05:06 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

In the mid-1970's I passed up an Aaron RC at $25

I passed on several '52 Mantles long before that price exploded.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-25-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities View Post
I think that there are less than 10 known examples. It is quite possible that Larry allowed you to handle one of his. Where did you meet up with him at?
We were up and Cooperstown and he had opened up a "baseball card" museum. He definitely had one on display for the public to see. My dad and I, he was mid 40s and I was 11 or 12, were complete random people to him. I wonder if he thought dad had money. Honestly, the "Doyle" was completely lost on me. I wanted to see the Wagner. I don't remember seeing one there. I know the HoF had one around that time, not sure if it was the day we met Larry Fritsch.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:29 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
The ole Buy It When You See It adage....

I remember about 20 yrs ago walking around a National. Maybe my first one or second one. I had seen an E92 Dockman Young for 200 dollars. A hobby friend told me to go buy it. I looked and looked....and finally found it. So, I let it go at first and was lucky enough to be able to go back and find it. Sorry, wrong twist on this thread but it's baseball cards and sort of close, kind of.....and I don't remember a good one that got away except the Colgans part of the Trucker Boy Find....