NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-31-2020, 08:46 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
Yes, that was where I bought it, along with some other pennants from the same time period.
Great acquisition, and apparently still just two of that Dodgers version known to exist!
Old 10-31-2020, 09:57 PM
Bobw

Default Biltmore Hotel 1958

A closer look at the pennant

Old 11-01-2020, 09:18 AM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Great acquisition, and apparently still just two of that Dodgers version known to exist!
If I did indeed buy a "rare" one, many others are about to surface for sale everywhere.
Old 11-01-2020, 03:46 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
If I did indeed buy a "rare" one, many others are about to surface for sale everywhere.
Hahaha...Thought that only happened to me.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:01 AM
Rob

I bought and then un-bought this last night. It was priced too good to pass up and then upon closer inspection I started to realize why. Unless this is some kind of early prototype, it looks like a crafts class project. Is it just me or do I see tracing lines on some of the graphics and really sloppy cutting?

I have a real version of this one and comparing the two, the differences were glaring...so I backed out.

To the seller's credit, he didn't give me a hard time and he does have a couple other legit football pennants from the era, but nothing as valuable as this one would be if real.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Texans 1.jpg (85.3 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg Texans 2.jpg (76.0 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg Texans 3.jpg (76.5 KB, 390 views)
File Type: jpg Texans 4.jpg (75.1 KB, 402 views)
Old 11-03-2020, 07:02 AM
Marc

Rob- I agree that the cutting of the letters looks sloppy. Can you post some pics of your other one to compare?
Old 11-03-2020, 12:40 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Rob- I agree that the cutting of the letters looks sloppy. Can you post some pics of your other one to compare?
LOL! I bought this after it was reposted. I have same questions and I’ll know when I see and feel it. And if it ain’t legit I’ll have this documentation to return it. I noticed the exact same things, the graphics look a bit more crude, the face and the stars on the boots are different. Seems like an odd pennant to reproduce, though. Could be a vintage knockoff? We will see!

Last edited by thetahat; 11-03-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:02 PM

Here’s a pic I found online, details much smoother. So it’s different. The spine even looks a little crude in this one. We’ll see
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 469D4DA6-4973-4FA1-97DE-A12B24C7E0B0.jpg (14.9 KB, 376 views)
Old 11-03-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I bought and then un-bought this last night. It was priced too good to pass up and then upon closer inspection I started to realize why. Unless this is some kind of early prototype, it looks like a crafts class project. Is it just me or do I see tracing lines on some of the graphics and really sloppy cutting?

I have a real version of this one and comparing the two, the differences were glaring...so I backed out.

To the seller's credit, he didn't give me a hard time and he does have a couple other legit football pennants from the era, but nothing as valuable as this one would be if real.
Can you confirm that the graphics were in fact screen printed atop the felt? From your photos it almost looks like the graphics were cut from a sheet of vinyl; then affixed to the felt. But that should be pretty obvious when you have it in hand.

You can definitely see evidence of the scissor marks on the lettering ... had this been screen printed, they would look more smooth. Unless they utilized an open stencil that was cut from hand...?

I think the original pennant was made by ADFLAG; and to my knowledge they always screen printed their pennants using the conventional method.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:46 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
LOL! I bought this after it was reposted. I have same questions and I’ll know when I see and feel it. And if it ain’t legit I’ll have this documentation to return it. I noticed the exact same things, the graphics look a bit more crude, the face and the stars on the boots are different. Seems like an odd pennant to reproduce, though. Could be a vintage knockoff? We will see!
Looking forward to the verdict!
Old 11-03-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
Can you confirm that the graphics were in fact screen printed atop the felt? From your photos it almost looks like the graphics were cut from a sheet of vinyl; then affixed to the felt. But that should be pretty obvious when you have it in hand.

You can definitely see evidence of the scissor marks on the lettering ... had this been screen printed, they would look more smooth. Unless they utilized an open stencil that was cut from hand...?

I think the original pennant was made by ADFLAG; and to my knowledge they always screen printed their pennants using the conventional method.
Yeah I’ll know right away. The seller seems like a quality guy, I’ll say that much.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:58 PM
Rob

Quote:
Here's mine vs this oddity...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Texans Real 1.jpg (53.0 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg Texans 1.jpg (85.3 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg Texans Real 2.jpg (41.1 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg Texans 2.jpg (76.0 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg Texans Real 3.jpg (36.3 KB, 386 views)
File Type: jpg Texans 3.jpg (76.5 KB, 369 views)
Old 11-03-2020, 04:29 PM

What it looks like, compared to yours, is that the letters were cut out in small straight lines. Like with a utility knife.
Old 11-03-2020, 04:44 PM
Rob

The lack of detail jumps out to me. The face looks almost like a Michael Myers mask and he's missing the top part of his hat. The intricate cuts look like they were quite a struggle for the maker too. I asked the seller if the graphics and lettering were stuck on and he said he couldn't tell. Definitely appears as if they are.
Old 11-03-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
The lack of detail jumps out to me. The face looks almost like a Michael Myers mask and he's missing the top part of his hat. The intricate cuts look like they were quite a struggle for the maker too. I asked the seller if the graphics and lettering were stuck on and he said he couldn't tell. Definitely appears as if they are.
Yep I agree.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:42 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Looks like this one was crafted by either Tim Carroll or Ben Caraher.

I didn't know they were doing pennants now!

Last edited by perezfan; 11-03-2020 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:29 PM

Received the "pennant". Total fugazi. Can tell within 0.5 seconds upon seeing it in person. Graphics are cut out and glued on, also they are painted by hand to match. Looks very sloppy up close. You can see pencil marks where the cutting was not precise, and the cuts are in small straight lines as if an exacto knife was used. Keeping it in the pennant holder for the pics was a shrewd move by the seller.

Anyway, seller refuses to accept return, says this is my "opinion", insists it is authentic, and tried to educate me on pennants. He even sent me a link to KB's weebly blog (which allowed me to tell him that my pictures are actually used on the site). Anyway I had to report him to eBay, they should protect me for this. Hopefully they do something about the seller who will almost certainly pass this along to someone else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-8757.jpg (66.8 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-8758.jpg (66.3 KB, 351 views)
Old 11-05-2020, 04:39 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

What a piece of sh*t seller. Ebay will inevitably rule in your favor, but it will take a few days before they can render a judgement and refund your money.

Sorry you have to go through the ordeal... but no worries, you'll be covered.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
What a piece of sh*t seller. Ebay will inevitably rule in your favor, but it will take a few days before they can render a judgement and refund your money.

Sorry you have to go through the ordeal... but no worries, you'll be covered.
Thanks Mark. Get a load of his reply to eBay for my refund request. Even says I might be right that it is homemade but sent them a link to KBs blog. What a bad dude.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F9937CC9-3F28-48DD-B91E-D680143C1FE7.jpg (21.0 KB, 343 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 11-05-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:03 PM

It gets worse! (I sent the seller and eBay a link to this thread.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8FD2AC37-1908-431A-A911-A49271DF1AEB.jpg (21.8 KB, 339 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 11-05-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:49 PM
Rob

I originally thought the guy just didn't know any better. Now he seems like a scumbag. I asked if the graphics were glued on and he said he checked them and they weren't. He must not have checked them very thoroughly.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:52 PM
Rob

Especially funny that he is trying to explain the history of pennants to someone in Manila who doesn't even read the messages and is simply following a script that ends with "process refund".
Old 11-05-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I originally thought the guy just didn't know any better. Now he seems like a scumbag. I asked if the graphics were glued on and he said he checked them and they weren't. He must not have checked them very thoroughly.
There’s a reason he kept it in the holder for the pictures ... and he is basically conceding that it is homemade. I’m just embarrassed that I fell for it. I am the Manti Teo of pennant collectors. Am I still allowed to post here or do I get banished for being such a dope?

Last edited by thetahat; 11-05-2020 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:31 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

His closing argument is that having an old hand-made pennant is more desirable than a manufactured one.

What a fool. Does he also think reprints are better than original cards? Or that Type 4 Photos are superior to Type 1? Or perhaps a traced autograph is more desirable than an original. Who is this seller, anyway.... the Acofind guy?

Let's all trace the Honus Wagner Card, color it in, and make millions. And you won't even need to stay within the lines!

Last edited by perezfan; 11-05-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:45 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
There’s a reason he kept it in the holder for the pictures ... and he is basically conceding that it is homemade. I’m just embarrassed that I fell for it. I am the Manti Teo of pennant collectors. Am I still allowed to post here or do I get banished for being such a dope?
Well you did get "catfished" on this one... But we've probably all been burned to some extent (at some point in time). This one is just a bit more egregious. Rather than a complete net54 banishment, perhaps a week off is appropriate, since he concealed it beneath the toploader.

At the risk of dating myself, it reminds me of those Colorforms cut-outs that were popular in the 1960s.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:48 PM
Marc

Sorry, Greg. I'm sure it will all work out in the end. Clear fake.

Maybe post a nice pic of the horror show face for us so we can see it up close.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Sorry, Greg. I'm sure it will all work out in the end. Clear fake.

Maybe post a nice pic of the horror show face for us so we can see it up close.
I already packed it away, expecting to mail it back. But he’s not budging so I have to go through eBay protection. This guy has no shame ... he now admits that it is handmade but says that’s different from *homemade*. LOL. He’s hanging his hat on something from KB’s blog about the very first ever pennants being handmade. What a piece of excrement. He knows it’s a fake.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:05 PM
Rob

Quote:
I already packed it away, expecting to mail it back. But he’s not budging so I have to go through eBay protection. This guy has no shame ... he now admits that it is handmade but says that’s different from *homemade*. LOL. He’s hanging his hat on something from KB’s blog about the very first ever pennants being handmade. What a piece of excrement. He knows it’s a fake.
Unfortunately for him the very first pennants weren’t made in 1962.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately for him the very first pennants weren’t made in 1962.
EXACTLY! Yes, the very first pennants ever made likely came from mom's sewing machine ... but that was in 1904, before felt novelty pennants were commercially available in every college town! This pennant is in an entirely different league being a) screen printed; b) for a professional sports team; and c) made in the 1960s. Any suggestion that my BLOG supports his notion that it was commonplace for such a contemporary pennant to be homemade--and using vinyl lettering no less--is laughable.

Nobody would do that in 1962 ... not for a $0.50 souvenir!

The only person that would spend the type of time and money it took to re-create this is someone who understands the contemporary value of that pennant today, which I suppose is closer to ... $500? Which means it was likely made last month...

I'm sorry Greg. Send me a PM with the seller's contact and I'll be glad to challenge him on any of this if you think it'd help resolve this sooner.
Old 11-06-2020, 04:07 PM

Closure ... so eBay notified me that I was entitled to a refund and told me to return. About as clear-cut of a fake memorabilia case as you’d find. Special thanks to KB for helping. The seller then sent me this, apparently his feelings were hurt. Awww..... don’t try to pull a fast one on your buyers in the first place and you won’t be called out for it. He never did acknowledge the voided sale to Rob just minutes before my purchase. I don’t believe for a second he didn’t exactly know what he was doing.

As a side note, in 20+ years of buying this is the first such experience with a shady seller. I’ve been lucky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 644FF7E5-1E47-472E-B745-1A8CCE47C835.jpg (23.8 KB, 340 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 11-06-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:11 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

If you don't want your feelings to be hurt, do not rip people off. He should seriously apply for a position with PSA.

Glad you got your refund quickly. His preaching to you about the legitimacy of a vintage pennant was akin to Mr. Magoo telling Mario Andretti how to drive.

Last edited by perezfan; 11-07-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-07-2020, 12:35 PM

Our buddy just sold a Packers pennant ... at least he’s pleading ignorance in his description ... but look at the spine on this one. Yikes! (Otherwise looks original but who knows.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Green-Bay-P...p&LH_Auction=1

EDIT: This is also full-blown fake. Look around the edges of the letters and graphic. Looks like they have been cut out and pasted. So he knows but covers his tracks by saying “it could be homemade”. Posted it cheap, someone bought it right away probably without reading carefully. No doubt he’ll fight the buyer if he is unhappy.

(Oh and he offered this to me after I bought the fake Texans pennant ... for $175.)

Last edited by thetahat; 11-07-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:38 PM
Rob

I was going to say much better job on the Packers, but looking closely it looks like the letters are held on with clear tape? The football player and lettering are much better than the Texans effort.

EDIT: I see what he did...The graphic and lettering were printed on green material that matches the color of the "felt" (?) used for the pennant. That way the rough cut isn't nearly as noticeable.

Last edited by Fballguy; 11-07-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2020, 03:28 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I was going to say much better job on the Packers, but looking closely it looks like the letters are held on with clear tape? The football player and lettering are much better than the Texans effort.

EDIT: I see what he did...The graphic and lettering were printed on green material that matches the color of the "felt" (?) used for the pennant. That way the rough cut isn't nearly as noticeable.
Still, lots of time and effort spent for a measly $35 bucks.
Old 11-07-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
“So it’s possible that this was homemade ...”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BDB35153-1F74-4BA5-AF85-5374625F5FDF.jpg (5.8 KB, 308 views)
Old 11-09-2020, 10:04 AM
Marc

Default Phantom pennants

I picked up this 1965 Giants NL Champs phantom pennant from Fballguy recently. I have seen many damaged copies of this pennant (especially to the bottom corner) and am excited to have this nice copy.

I'm curious to see other phantom pennants from your collections and to hear any interesting details about the pennant or team.

I've always liked this Giants pennant because it is one of the few (only?) Giants items related to Warren Spahn's brief time with the team. 1965 is also the year that Juan Marichal went after John Roseboro with a bat after Roseboro intentionally threw the ball inches away from Marichal's face. My dad always told me that this incident (and Marichal being suspended) cost the Giants the pennant, but I think the Dodgers won something like 14 of their lat 15 games, which probably had more to do with it.

The pennant is also fun because of the misspelling of Willie McCovey's (McCOVERY) name and it includes a good number of HOFers (Mays, Cepeda, Perry, Marichal, Spahn, McCovey). It also includes Masanori Murakami, recognized as the first player from Japan to play in the MLB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Giants 1965 Phantom.jpg (67.8 KB, 281 views)
Old 11-09-2020, 11:00 AM
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Maybe, just maybe a father made one for his son back in the day when the could find one to buy
Old 11-09-2020, 12:33 PM
Rob

Quote:
Rather than a complete net54 banishment, perhaps a week off is appropriate, since he concealed it beneath the toploader.
I agree with a week off. After all, we "pennant guys" have standards to uphold!
Old 11-10-2020, 03:25 PM
Gary

Quote:
I picked up this 1965 Giants NL Champs phantom pennant from Fballguy recently. I have seen many damaged copies of this pennant (especially to the bottom corner) and am excited to have this nice copy.

I'm curious to see other phantom pennants from your collections and to hear any interesting details about the pennant or team.

I've always liked this Giants pennant because it is one of the few (only?) Giants items related to Warren Spahn's brief time with the team. 1965 is also the year that Juan Marichal went after John Roseboro with a bat after Roseboro intentionally threw the ball inches away from Marichal's face. My dad always told me that this incident (and Marichal being suspended) cost the Giants the pennant, but I think the Dodgers won something like 14 of their lat 15 games, which probably had more to do with it.

The pennant is also fun because of the misspelling of Willie McCovey's (McCOVERY) name and it includes a good number of HOFers (Mays, Cepeda, Perry, Marichal, Spahn, McCovey). It also includes Masanori Murakami, recognized as the first player from Japan to play in the MLB.
+1 for Fballguy. I'm very pleased with the 2 that I bought.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:31 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
+1 for Fballguy. I'm very pleased with the 2 that I bought.
Thank you. Happy to hear that!
Old 11-14-2020, 08:15 AM

Okay my week suspension for being a catfished dumba$$ is over, here’s a new pickup of a Keezer Philadelphia A’s ... more commonly found on blue felt. Keezer typically stuck to one color for each team, exceptions of which I am aware include Pirates and Red Sox.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F47E393E-7801-4118-B560-62C304E2A6C6.jpg (20.8 KB, 204 views)
Old 11-14-2020, 09:43 AM
chris

I like it!
Old 11-14-2020, 11:21 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Thank you. Happy to hear that!
My two pennants from Fballguy arrived yesterday. Very excited about them, especially the 1976 WS pennant. Already posted these in November Pickups. Along with the two I picked up from PerezFan, they'll make for a nice little collection along the top of the wall.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 11-14-2020, 03:28 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Default !

Quote:
Okay my week suspension for being a catfished dumba$$ is over, here’s a new pickup of a Keezer Philadelphia A’s ... more commonly found on blue felt. Keezer typically stuck to one color for each team, exceptions of which I am aware include Pirates and Red Sox.
Nice pickup Greg...

It looks great in red, and isn't this one usually found in 3/4 size as well? Never seen a red full sized one... congrats!
Old 11-14-2020, 04:48 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
My two pennants from Fballguy arrived yesterday. Very excited about them, especially the 1976 WS pennant. Already posted these in November Pickups. Along with the two I picked up from PerezFan, they'll make for a nice little collection along the top of the wall.
Glad you like them Tim!
Old 11-19-2020, 06:08 PM
Jim Murphy

Another group found in the Philly area including the second New home of dodgers in the past weeks
Old 11-20-2020, 08:31 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
Another group found in the Philly area including the second New home of dodgers in the past weeks
On ebay?
Old 11-20-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
???? What does this mean exactly? A big find?

Last edited by thetahat; 11-20-2020 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:54 PM

Well if you’re gonna complete an AFL set, all roads run through Dallas. And I had to fill the void left from that homemade disaster. (Finally got refund.) Next up: Titans. With school moved back to online and winter break in two weeks, and also being semi-quarantined, will soon be resuming my photo inventory ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2F454756-0C0B-4EE4-AB66-D881A544CE25.jpg (20.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 05DF296A-FE62-48CD-A058-FA3CBB72C705.jpg (13.6 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 11-21-2020 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:00 PM
Marc

Nice, Greg.

That dark blue felt on the Oilers pennant is so clear when you have the light and the dark next to each other. I need to find one of those.