NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 10-23-2020, 11:26 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Default Royal Desserts Cards

I was admiring some rare Royal Desserts basketball cards that PWCC sold recently, but I came across something odd. PSA has these cards dated from 1952, but this is obviously wrong! Let's look at the first card:

Pollard was born in July of 1922. Now the card says he was born "27 years ago." So, how could this card have been manufactured in 1952? Let's look at another one:

Fulks (I love that last name!) was born October of 1921. The card says he is 29-years-old. Manufactured in 1952? I think not! One last one:

Mikan was born on June of 1924 and the card says he is 26-years-old.

Now, after catching this, it made me think about the others. I decided to take a look at the hockey cards (also very challenging to find), and I noticed that every card mentions what that particular player did during the 1949/50 season.

I just hope that PSA can fix this problem one day. There is a big difference between 1952 and 1950, especially when it comes to the hockey cards. This means that they were printed before the 1951 Parkhurst cards, and that's huge in my opinion.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:32 PM
Don

My understanding is that they were issued from 1950 through 1952. Some of the baseball issues have variations with the players changing teams over that period. I've always had the perception that the basketball cards were much more rare, which could be from either the lack of popularity given the early days of the league or perhaps they weren't issued for all 3 years. I know nothing about the hockey issues.

ETA - You'll see some of the SGC flips with 1950-52

Last edited by dth; 10-27-2020 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:12 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Well, the Gordie Howe is now a $4,000+ card in low grade.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-28-2020, 10:04 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I am attracted to the basketball and hockey issues because of rarity and star power. The baseball cards were printed in much larger quantities - look how many Musials there are on eBay at the moment. The line-up is another issue here. Nobody cares about Pee Wee, Dom Dimaggio, Andy Pafko, and yes, Stan Musial as well. The hockey cards are really tough! I only see two singles up on eBay at the moment. There is also one complete set, and it took this eBayer years to complete it! Now the basketball cards are even more difficult to find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Well, the Gordie Howe is now a $4,000+ card in low grade.
That PSA 2 you're referring to was a very special card. Why? Because it had full borders. The biggest problem is that kids cut these cards too close to the image, and many of them have tiny borders (or no borders at all!) Again, full-sized cards with numerical grades always bring in more money.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:51 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Alright, so the next thing I want to discuss are the blue tints. A lot of collectors are not even aware of them. Blue tints were found on the back of Royal Custard boxes only and are very rare. It looks like the Royal Custard mix might have been manufactured in smaller quantities compared to the other flavors (Lemon, Chocolate, etc.) Here is a rare Gordie Howe blue tint:

Now PSA doesn't know the difference between a black tint and a blue tint. They all get slabbed under the same label. So, if we look up the hockey cards on PSA's population report, we'll see that they have graded thirty-eight examples, however, we don't know how many of them are blue tints. Again, this is another problem PSA needs to fix.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:27 AM
Pete D'Luhosch

Default Baseball Blue Tints

Here are all the baseball Blue Tints I have been able to substantiate.

http://five.pjdenterprises.com/royal..._blue_tint.pdf