NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Default Very Subjective pricing on AUT cards

Posted By: leon

I am curious as to what others think the value of AUT cards would be, relative to a numerical grade of a vg-3? I feel it depends on the card as a more rare one would retain more value, imo..... I think AUT cards are good for the hobby in that you know what you are buying.....Other's thoughts?

Old 02-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Wouldn't it mostly depend on the reason it got the AUT? A slight even trim on a perfect card otherwise and a card that has been ripped and taped are both "Authentic" but would be valued quite differently.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Administrator

For arguments sake lets say there is a slight bit of color added on front and a minutely trimmed top right corner....I agree with you completely though.....but folks can also add what they do and don't like even in an AUT holder.....take care and thanks for the phone call this morning....regards

Old 02-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Good question, and I think it depends on the reason for the AUT, along with the eye appeal of the card. And of course, its scarcity.

I saw a gorgeous T205 Cobb in an AUT holder once that was one of the nicest T205 Cobbs I've ever seen. It had been trimmed, but still looked great. I've seen Goudeys that way, too - slightly trimmed, but looking great.

I've also seen AUT cards that were barely cards, all mangled with holes and pieces missing.

So for an 1943 MP & Co Tiny Bonham, graded AUT because it's missing a chunk of the card, I'd say it's worthless and would be a great filler for someone who cares little about condition.

For a Goudey Ruth that looks like an 8 but has a trimmed edge, I wouldn't blink if it sold for what a 6 would cost.

My personal feeling is that I'm not interested in an AUT card unless it's super-scarce, impossible to find with a numerical grade, or has some spectacular characteristic about it (like great provenance or an autograph or something). But that's just me.

-Al

Edited because you don't use an apostrophe for the possessive form of "it".
Edited a second time because I'm careless.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

When I was working on my T3 set I noticed on 1 occasion
a seller had a slew of PSA-Auth cards that sold for higher
then PSA-2's. Since they were trimmed they appeared to be a
higher grade then they were.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

Here is a card as example that I bought ungraded
from a card show. It wasn't stated as trimmed.
But it did measure smaller then other T3's
and PSA gave it the Auth designation. Looks
like a high grade example.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

I guess I'm mellowing out a bit and accepting cards for what they are, a link to the past. I used to detest trimmed or altered cards. Now I look upon them as (in most cases) reasonably priced alternatives. If the card presents well then the AUT stigma doesn't bother me so much. This might sound really stupid but if I feel a card is altered I wont purchase it unless it's in an SGC or PSA holder with the AUT designation.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Couple of comments:

Jay, that Doolan looks obviously trimmed along the left side. With that said, it presents beautifully and is a card that I would consider for my collection.

I am more interested in the esthetic appearance of a card in an SGC holder than I am in its numerical grade. Having an EM or NM appearing card that is slightly trimmed at the top sitting in an SGC AUT holder suits me just fine. I would rather have it than a SGC 20 or 30 that is creased, dirty, has paper loss or is otherwise unattractive. And, I'd be willing to pay the same, if not more, for the more attractive looking card.

In fact this was the only way I would have been able to acquire my Drum backed T206. Slight trim at the top, lovely card othereise, and at 1/4 the cost.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

Scarcity definitely comes into play here as far as value goes.
The SGC "Authentic" 1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson in Mile High
last night ended after the juice at close to $90K.
If I'm not mistaken I beleive the restoration was color added to a spot on the front and back.
Yes it's "Authentic" but try finding another one. Just my opinion.

Tony

Old 02-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

Really does depend how rare the card is, common cards or less popular cards would be very low compared to the vg 3 card.

Jimmy

Old 02-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

"Scarcity definitely comes into play here as far as value goes. The SGC "Authentic" 1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson in Mile High last night ended after the juice at close to $90K. If I'm not mistaken I beleive the restoration was color added to a spot on the front and back. Yes it's "Authentic" but try finding another one. Just my opinion."

Tony- i was going to use the same example...

extremely rare cards, like Boston Garters, N167's, Baltimore News, etc...still hold a substantial value, even in "A" holders because of the level of scarcity. a numerically graded example will command more, but the "A" version still holds great value, because in many cases such rarities are irreplaceable, with just a few known, etc.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

I definitely agree the rarity of the card combined with it's desirability will determine it's value. I sometimes see A cards sell for vg prices or better...it pisses me off. The degree of alteration/dismemberment etc also plays a huge factor. an authentic 1 or 2 of a kind will sell as if it were nrmt. jmseo.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

i don't have any problem with the card being SGC Auth if it's a tough one
that i really need and presents well.
out of 516 different 206s, i just have a handful and found them just what i wanted and didn't mind the extra few bucks due to their difficulty.

best,

barry

Old 02-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

AUTs are an affordable and presentable alternative for us "Armpits".

Old 02-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

plus there maybe less SPeakers then JAcksons.The guy takes one shoe off in one game and his cards skyrocket.SPEAKER IS REALLY BIG AND NOT ENOUGH ATTENTION PAID LITERALLY TO HIM.SEE the b/s/t for the steal of the century.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Administrator

That's kind of over the top on selling in the main forum but it is a special card....at any rate I think some AUT's rock. GO ARMPITS!!

Old 02-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

I abide by the rules. If there werent bickering and unwarranted bumping my card could have stayed abit longer .I started on topic and was merely asking a question deserving an answer. i didnt put price hear and wasnt trying to necessarily reference the card sale here.Thanks