NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-12-2021, 06:43 AM
D.an Jackso.n

Default Interesting baseball trivia question

I thought I knew the answer to this question but did not. That’s a hint. Who holds the pitching record for most strikeouts in a MLB game? No looking up!

Last edited by stlcardsfan; 04-12-2021 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:27 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardsfan View Post
I thought I knew the answer to this question but did not. That’s a hint. Who holds the pitching record for most strikeouts in a MLB game? No looking up!
Roger Clemens X2 and Kerry Wood once with 20.

EDIT: seems I didn't know either. Nice trivia question.

Last edited by bnorth; 04-12-2021 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:57 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I know someone had 21 in extra innings sometime in the early 1960's, I forget his name
Old 04-12-2021, 12:44 PM
D.an Jackso.n

Jim was close. Tom Cheney struck out 21 batters on September 12, 1962 while pitching for the Senators against the Orioles. He threw a complete game, throwing 228 pitches over 16 innings, as the Senators won 2-1. It is considered one of the single greatest pitching performances of all time. Hitters such as Brooks Robinson said his stuff that night was electric. He chain smoked cigarettes between innings and was said to have smoked 3 packs that night. Cheney was a journeyman who won just 19 games in a career derailed by a damaged arm (go figure).

Last edited by stlcardsfan; 04-12-2021 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:50 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I knew that...he also shot Maddie's father.

As an add-on question, who holds the major league record for most strikeouts in a Major League game by a reliever?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 04-12-2021 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:27 PM
D.an Jackso.n

I need a hint on that Robbie. Era, league, team, anything?
Old 04-12-2021, 06:44 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

If a word or two was changed in the original question, it could be the ole misleading switcharoo - What pitcher struck out (at the plate) the most (times) in a game?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I knew that...he also shot Maddie's father.

As an add-on question, who holds the major league record for most strikeouts in a Major League game by a reliever?

True Grit. Deep cut.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:57 PM
Bill Roberts

Quote:
... he also shot Maddie's father.

Spectacular.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:43 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:

I believe thats the Big Unit
Old 04-14-2021, 09:48 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Yup. 17K in relief of Schilling.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-16-2021, 12:31 PM

Doesn't Walter Johnson have the most in a pre-season game?
Old 04-16-2021, 03:26 PM
Todd Schultz

Actually, I believe it was 16. And it is a bit of a trick question, in that Randy took the mound in "relief" at the beginning the following day, to resume the prior night's game that had been suspended. He got to face a lineup chock full of left-handed hitters who had started the game against Schilling. Still impressive and probably not worthy of any kind of asterisk, but not really in the nature of a "relief" appearance, since RJ was going to start the next day anyway. Now Ernie Shore, that was something.

Quote:
Yup. 17K in relief of Schilling.

If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 04-16-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

And the record for most consecutive Ks belongs to....

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:15 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
And the record for most consecutive Ks belongs to....
Tom Seaver with 10. deGrom had 9 straight Ks today.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

It's sort of meaningless because of course pitchers typically will intentionally throw pitches off the plate, but Bartolo Colon once threw 38 strikes in a row.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:38 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It's sort of meaningless because of course pitchers typically will intentionally throw pitches off the plate, but Bartolo Colon once threw 38 strikes in a row.
Hardly, has any pitcher thrown 38 balls in a row, which would be 8 or 9 consecutive walks without a strike or a foul ball? Easier to do perhaps, without a manager in the dugout, but not meaningless

Minnesota's third string catcher (possibly second string) pitched the 8th inning
against the Angels. He was extremely effective in changing speeds. He used a 51 mph sinker (due to gravity not spin} to set up his 74 mph fastball. He didn't give up a run, but yielded five in a previous inning pitched. He therefore lowered his career ERA from 45.00 to 22.50.

But don't forget that Joe Cleary has the highest numerical career ERA of 189.00.

Bartolo also hit his first ML home run at the age of 43. Is that meaningless too?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:43 PM
Todd Schultz

Per Spaeth's high standards, most everything I have ever done is meaningless. Come to think of it though, he might be onto something.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Per Spaeth's high standards, most everything I have ever done is meaningless. Come to think of it though, he might be onto something.
You can redeem yourself by selling me your HR Derby Robinson.